Community Discussions and Support
Personal dictionary

How does one activate the personal dictionary. Everything in my Pegasus 4.8 works perfectly EXCEPT when the spell check encounters new words. I click ADD but when, in a later message the same word occurs again, spell checker does not recognise it.
Is there some way to 'switch it on'

Mike Main, Botswana

How does one activate the personal dictionary. Everything in my Pegasus 4.8 works perfectly EXCEPT when the spell check encounters new words. I click ADD but when, in a later message the same word occurs again, spell checker does not recognise it. Is there some way to 'switch it on' Mike Main, Botswana

There is a bug in v4.80 that causes the personal dictionary to be cleared each time the spell checker is invoked. If you have a backup of your Pegasus Mail mailbox directory from prior to the installation of 4.80 then you can restore the USRDICT5.PMD file from the backup and then mark it as read only. This will prevent it from being cleared. You won't be able to add words to it but you will have the ones that previously existed. The bug will be fixed in the next version.

There is a bug in v4.80 that causes the personal dictionary to be cleared each time the spell checker is invoked. If you have a backup of your Pegasus Mail mailbox directory from prior to the installation of 4.80 then you can restore the USRDICT5.PMD file from the backup and then mark it as read only. This will prevent it from being cleared. You won't be able to add words to it but you will have the ones that previously existed. The bug will be fixed in the next version.

The workaround from Brian Fluet does work. However marking the file read-only prevents adding personal items, so I created a simple procedure that can be invoked while running Pegasus if you want to add a new item to the personal dictionary. It removes the read-only attribute from USRDICT5.PMD, calls Notepad against USRDICT5.PMD, then restores the read-only attribute when editing is finished.

The workaround from Brian Fluet does work. However marking the file read-only prevents adding personal items, so I created a simple procedure that can be invoked while running Pegasus if you want to add a new item to the personal dictionary. It removes the read-only attribute from USRDICT5.PMD, calls Notepad against USRDICT5.PMD, then restores the read-only attribute when editing is finished.

It removes the read-only attribute from USRDICT5.PMD, calls Notepad against USRDICT5.PMD, then restores the read-only attribute when editing is finished.

Or you simply install the public beta v4.81 which fixes this issue, but you should be aware of the issues mentioned in Brian's post here.

[quote="pid:56535, uid:27623"]It removes the read-only attribute from USRDICT5.PMD, calls Notepad against USRDICT5.PMD, then restores the read-only attribute when editing is finished.[/quote] Or you simply install the [public beta v4.81](https://www.pmail.com/v48x.htm) which fixes this issue, but you should be aware of the issues mentioned in Brian's post [here](https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/12053/updating-old-pegasus-mail-version/1#post-56531).
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Apr 10 at 12:44 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft