Community Discussions and Support
Pmail CTD on highlight in new mail folder

when I select this message in the new mail folder pmail crashes to the desktop.
What I have done so far is to make email admin set it for compatibility mode for seven I have checked read only settings and security permissions, I have downgraded back to 4.73 made no difference upgraded back up to 4.80 no difference as soon as this particular email is highlighted in the new mail list doesn't even have to be selected or to return it crashes Pegasus Mail back to the desktop with of course all the folders lock on restart I have up graded the IE renderer to no avail hope you have some suggestions!Please note I did install the mini dump tool and let it send out a report which I did attractants attach the same notes to any suggestions would be appreciated

when I select this message in the new mail folder pmail crashes to the desktop. What I have done so far is to make email admin set it for compatibility mode for seven I have checked read only settings and security permissions, I have downgraded back to 4.73 made no difference upgraded back up to 4.80 no difference as soon as this particular email is highlighted in the new mail list doesn't even have to be selected or to return it crashes Pegasus Mail back to the desktop with of course all the folders lock on restart I have up graded the IE renderer to no avail hope you have some suggestions!Please note I did install the mini dump tool and let it send out a report which I did attractants attach the same notes to any suggestions would be appreciated

when I select this message in the new mail folder pmail crashes to the desktop.

Never heard of "CTD" before (other than these ones smile), so learned something new today, Dominic, thank you.
Now seriously, step by step and with taking a breath between each single one of these details as far as they connect:

... as soon as this particular email is highlighted in the new mail list doesn't even have to be selected

From this description I understand that you're doing all this in preview mode which means: highlighting = selecting = opening (resp. attempting to do so) the mail. If highlighting would happen in a stand-alone folder it would not open the message and certainly not crash.

Please note I did install the mini dump tool and let it send out a report

Well, it didn't arrive at its designated mail account but it very likely isn't required anyway, see below.

... which I did attractants attach the same notes to

Sorry, what's this supposed to mean, please?

Now here's what I would like you to do: Since you appear to be able to open Pegasus Mail and duplicate these crashes, can you please forward such a message to "beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz"? The best way for doing so goes like this:

Restart Pegasus Mail and leave the message alone for now. Instead first go to Pegasus Mail's menu bar and open the "Help" menu , select "About Pegasus Mail ..." and press the "Info" button in the window popping up next.

The "Info" screen will show some configuration details of your Pegasus Mail setup which you need the "New mailbox location" path of (you might want to highlight and copy it for what comes next). Now use Windows (file) Explorer for opening the respective file directory containing your new mail and folder files (among other ones).

Then right-click the crash message within Pegasus Mail's new mail folder for selecting "Message properties" (this will not open the message). The message properties screen will contain a field at the top showing the message's file name ending with .CNM which you can now locate in the file directory already opened before for zipping and attaching it to a new message to "beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz". Please don't send it directly to my personal address since my provider might block it as containing "malware" or a virus or spam.

Please put something into the subject of the message you'll send which points to this thread here, you might just want to use the same subject you used here since I'll certainly remember it very well now smile

If I can duplicate this issue I'm going to find a solution without any dumps required.

[quote="pid:54325, uid:35983"]when I select this message in the new mail folder pmail crashes to the desktop.[/quote] Never heard of "CTD" before (other than [these ones](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_Test_Dummies) ;)), so learned something new today, Dominic, thank you. Now seriously, step by step and with taking a breath between each single one of these details as far as they connect: > ... as soon as this particular email is highlighted in the new mail list doesn't even have to be selected From this description I understand that you're doing all this in preview mode which means: highlighting = selecting = opening (resp. attempting to do so) the mail. If highlighting would happen in a stand-alone folder it would not open the message and certainly _not_ crash. > Please note I did install the mini dump tool and let it send out a report Well, it didn't arrive at its designated mail account but it very likely isn't required anyway, see below. > ... which I did attractants attach the same notes to Sorry, what's this supposed to mean, please? Now here's what I would like you to do: Since you appear to be able to open Pegasus Mail and duplicate these crashes, can you please forward such a message to "beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz"? The best way for doing so goes like this: Restart Pegasus Mail and leave the message alone for now. Instead first go to Pegasus Mail's menu bar and open the "Help" menu , select "About Pegasus Mail ..." and press the "Info" button in the window popping up next. The "Info" screen will show some configuration details of your Pegasus Mail setup which you need the "New mailbox location" path of (you might want to highlight and copy it for what comes next). Now use Windows (file) Explorer for opening the respective file directory containing your new mail and folder files (among other ones). Then _right_-click the crash message within Pegasus Mail's new mail folder for selecting "Message properties" (this will _not_ open the message). The message properties screen will contain a field at the top showing the message's file name ending with .CNM which you can now locate in the file directory already opened before for zipping and attaching it to a new message to "beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz". Please don't send it directly to my personal address since my provider might block it as containing "malware" or a virus or spam. Please put something into the subject of the message you'll send which points to this thread here, you might just want to use the same subject you used here since I'll certainly remember it very well now :) If I can duplicate this issue I'm going to find a solution without any dumps required.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Aug 13 '22 at 7:06 am

Have you looked at the CNM files in the mail directory to identify exactly which one it is.

Probable some real bad html code in message.

I've found a few things in past that caused crashes, but seems to be very poorly done html code.

Have you looked at the CNM files in the mail directory to identify exactly which one it is. Probable some real bad html code in message. I've found a few things in past that caused crashes, but seems to be very poorly done html code.

mikes@guam.net

hi sorry for the wait i did not received any notices that this was replied to so I am going to print out the flow chart and do the required steps....

thanks for help Ill be right back

hi sorry for the wait i did not received any notices that this was replied to so I am going to print out the flow chart and do the required steps.... thanks for help Ill be right back

Thanks, I got it, and it proves again how bullet proof Windows 7 is: PM just doesn't display anything - and doesn't crash either for me.

The issue in this case is an invalid HTML element named <action-text-attachment> (see here for details about where it comes from). Browsers usually ignore unknown elements but unfortunately the Tidy module we're using for fixing HTML issues causes an access violation after correctly detecting it (I can tell from the error log it creates in debug mode). The workaround is to get Tidy to accept it and just let it go through which I've now enabled accordingly for the next update. I'll also file an error report towards the Tidy maintainers ...

Thanks, I got it, and it proves again how bullet proof Windows 7 is: PM just doesn&#039;t display anything - and doesn&#039;t crash either for me. The issue in this case is an invalid HTML element named &lt;action-text-attachment&gt; (see [here](https://guides.rubyonrails.org/action_text_overview.html) for details about where it comes from). Browsers usually ignore unknown elements but unfortunately the Tidy module we&#039;re using for fixing HTML issues causes an access violation after correctly detecting it (I can tell from the error log it creates in debug mode). The workaround is to get Tidy to accept it and just let it go through which I&#039;ve now enabled accordingly for the next update. I&#039;ll also file an error report towards the Tidy maintainers ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

I'll also file an error report towards the Tidy maintainers ...

Just an update on this: Turned out to be an issue with a patch I recently applied to Tidy myself, so I fixed it and can now include the fixed LibTidy5 version with my next release as well.

[quote=&quot;pid:54341, uid:2133&quot;]I&#039;ll also file an error report towards the Tidy maintainers ...[/quote] Just an update on this: Turned out to be an issue with a patch I recently applied to Tidy myself, so I fixed it and can now include the fixed LibTidy5 version with my next release as well.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft