Community Discussions and Support
new mail folder suddenly empty

In pmail on my laptop my new mail folder with 93 read messages suddenly was empty, no idea why.

I was working with pmail but also doing other work. So I closed the laptop, did something else for 30 minutes, opened the laptop again, got back in, and when opening my new mail folder, there is only ONE new unread message. Al the already read

In my settings, read mail can stay in "new mail" folder, deleted mail stays in bin until pmail closes, deleted mail can stay between sessions, and always ask before deleting are always checked. I have a main mail folder, but messages never go in there with these setting.

Anybody any idea?

For me to actively delete all the new mail I must have selected all mail in the new mail folder, delete them, confirm that I want to delete it, and then confirm I really want to delete all messages in the bin. Sure did not do that, so what happened?

In pmail on my laptop my new mail folder with 93 read messages suddenly was empty, no idea why. I was working with pmail but also doing other work. So I closed the laptop, did something else for 30 minutes, opened the laptop again, got back in, and when opening my new mail folder, there is only ONE new unread message. Al the already read In my settings, read mail can stay in "new mail" folder, deleted mail stays in bin until pmail closes, deleted mail can stay between sessions, and always ask before deleting are always checked. I have a main mail folder, but messages never go in there with these setting. Anybody any idea? For me to actively delete all the new mail I must have selected all mail in the new mail folder, delete them, confirm that I want to delete it, and then confirm I really want to delete all messages in the bin. Sure did not do that, so what happened?

The only way messages get moved out of the new mail folder is either

1. Pegasus Mail is configured not to store read mail there

2. It is intentionally moved to a different folder, or deleted.

3. A new mail filtering rule acts on it.

You have indicated that the first two are ruled but it seems the third one is as well because a filter would need to be invoked. Minimizing Pegasus Mail and then opening it again would not trigger one so I don't have an answer. Here are my suggestions:

• Restart Pegasus Mail.
  • Right click on any folder list and from the context menu select Autofiltering > Manage Autofilter folders. That will list all folders in which autofiltering is defined. I there is one listed that you didn't intentionally create then that is likely the culprit. Look in that folder for the missing messages.
  • If you remember any specific detail of the From: or Subject: content of one of the missing messages you can try a search of all folders to see if it is found.

The only way messages get moved out of the new mail folder is either 1. Pegasus Mail is configured not to store read mail there 2. It is intentionally moved to a different folder, or deleted. 3. A new mail filtering rule acts on it. You have indicated that the first two are ruled but it seems the third one is as well because a filter would need to be invoked. Minimizing Pegasus Mail and then opening it again would not trigger one so I don't have an answer. Here are my suggestions: - Restart Pegasus Mail. - Right click on any folder list and from the context menu select Autofiltering > Manage Autofilter folders. That will list all folders in which autofiltering is defined. I there is one listed that you didn't intentionally create then that is likely the culprit. Look in that folder for the missing messages. - If you remember any specific detail of the From: or Subject: content of one of the missing messages you can try a search of all folders to see if it is found.

Actually, this is not he first strange behavior by this version of pmail (I have two addresses in two separate pegasus mail folders).

This pmail links to an MS Office 365 server on our institute. All mails automatically go to "my" outlook also. I did not have "delete on server after downloaded" checked so I could use outlook as a back-up if necessary.

A few days ago, pmail started downloading about 4000 emails. I stopped it, and it were all emails shown up unread, all from the period November 2020 (when the address was established) and April 2021.

I made sure that "only download unread mails" was checked, reconnected to internet, immediately upon connection to internet and the server, pmail started again downloading. So I marked all emails on my desktop outlook as read. Start again, same thing. Then I noticed remembered there is a difference between the desktop version and the browser version, so did the same on the browser.

Again reconnect and start pmail: downloading the same emails again and again and again. So I deleted all mails on desktop outlook and later also on browser outlook, including bin and several restarts.

In the end, no downloads because there were no more messages to download.

Whatever strange there was, the point is that pmail kept downloading despite all messages in all versions flagged as "read".

I thought that this was the next problem of this @#$#%$# MS Institute Server and outlook. However, seeing this, maybe pmail also had a bug under its wings?

My second pmail connecting to my non-profit host on a commercial non MS server never had this problem, and is still working fine alongside the problematic pamil.

Actually, this is not he first strange behavior by this version of pmail (I have two addresses in two separate pegasus mail folders). This pmail links to an MS Office 365 server on our institute. All mails automatically go to "my" outlook also. I did not have "delete on server after downloaded" checked so I could use outlook as a back-up if necessary. A few days ago, pmail started downloading about 4000 emails. I stopped it, and it were all emails shown up unread, all from the period November 2020 (when the address was established) and April 2021. I made sure that "only download unread mails" was checked, reconnected to internet, immediately upon connection to internet and the server, pmail started again downloading. So I marked all emails on my desktop outlook as read. Start again, same thing. Then I noticed remembered there is a difference between the desktop version and the browser version, so did the same on the browser. Again reconnect and start pmail: downloading the same emails again and again and again. So I deleted all mails on desktop outlook and later also on browser outlook, including bin and several restarts. In the end, no downloads because there were no more messages to download. Whatever strange there was, the point is that pmail kept downloading despite all messages in all versions flagged as "read". I thought that this was the next problem of this @#$#%$# MS Institute Server and outlook. However, seeing this, maybe pmail also had a bug under its wings? My second pmail connecting to my non-profit host on a commercial non MS server never had this problem, and is still working fine alongside the problematic pamil.

I made sure that "only download unread mails" was checked, reconnected to internet, immediately upon connection to internet and the server, pmail started again downloading. So I marked all emails on my desktop outlook as read. Start again, same thing. Then I noticed remembered there is a difference between the desktop version and the browser version, so did the same on the browser.

Pegasus Mail can lose track of the messages that it has already downloaded. When that happens, it downloads all messages in the hosts inbox regardless of whether you have marked it read. To Pegasus Mail, it is considered "read" when it has been downloaded. I have never seen an explanation for the cause of Pegasus Mail losing track of retrieved messages. I assume it is due to corruption of the file that holds that information. The problem is not common but, because it can occur (I have experienced it several times), I am now in the habit of keeping my hosted inboxes lean. Like you, I leave messages on the server so every few months I connect to each account via their web interface and move all messages out of the inbox. It is a PITA but it makes me a little more comfortable not having to go through what you just experienced.

FYI, the retrieved message data is stored in a POP*.PM3 file. I don't know whether restoring a .PM3 file from a backup would work. Han's Guide to Filenames and Extensions contains the information you would need to identify the specific .PM3 file. If you aren't familiar with this guide you can find it here: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/han_lkfr.htm (look for the "Filenames and Extensions" link).

[quote="pid:54335, uid:3097"]I made sure that "only download unread mails" was checked, reconnected to internet, immediately upon connection to internet and the server, pmail started again downloading. So I marked all emails on my desktop outlook as read. Start again, same thing. Then I noticed remembered there is a difference between the desktop version and the browser version, so did the same on the browser.[/quote] Pegasus Mail can lose track of the messages that it has already downloaded. When that happens, it downloads all messages in the hosts inbox regardless of whether you have marked it read. To Pegasus Mail, it is considered "read" when it has been downloaded. I have never seen an explanation for the cause of Pegasus Mail losing track of retrieved messages. I assume it is due to corruption of the file that holds that information. The problem is not common but, because it can occur (I have experienced it several times), I am now in the habit of keeping my hosted inboxes lean. Like you, I leave messages on the server so every few months I connect to each account via their web interface and move all messages out of the inbox. It is a PITA but it makes me a little more comfortable not having to go through what you just experienced. FYI, the retrieved message data is stored in a POP*.PM3 file. I don't know whether restoring a .PM3 file from a backup would work. Han's Guide to Filenames and Extensions contains the information you would need to identify the specific .PM3 file. If you aren't familiar with this guide you can find it here: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/han_lkfr.htm (look for the "Filenames and Extensions" link).
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft