Pegasus Mail Suggestions
Pegasus Mail: Linux/Wine compatibility...

I've been using Pegasus Mail exclusively since 2001 IIRC, and when after Win7 I abandoned Windows and switched to Linux, Pegasus Mail was among the 3 Windows programs I took with me, it's one of the essential can't-do-without programs I would do anything to keep using. Thank you David Harris!

Fortunately Pegasus Mail works just fine in Linux using Wine -- except the IERenderer part, which I have to kill if I want to be able to read any HTML mails.
If I don't remove it, all HTML emails (which are getting more and more common) are totally blank - no letters... After removing it I get an ugly-looking but entirely adequate, readable version.

Which brings me to the suggestion: Now I don't know a thing about programming, besides it seems this is an external library, but clearly IERenderer is (as far as I'm concerned) the only issue using Pegasus Mail with Wine. Can something be done about that? Pretty pretty please?...

Thanks again for that great piece of software!

I've been using Pegasus Mail exclusively since 2001 IIRC, and when after Win7 I abandoned Windows and switched to Linux, Pegasus Mail was among the 3 Windows programs I took with me, it's one of the essential can't-do-without programs I would do anything to keep using. Thank you David Harris! Fortunately Pegasus Mail works just fine in Linux using Wine -- except the IERenderer part, which I have to kill if I want to be able to read _any_ HTML mails. If I don't remove it, all HTML emails (which are getting more and more common) are totally blank - no letters... After removing it I get an ugly-looking but entirely adequate, readable version. Which brings me to the suggestion: Now I don't know a thing about programming, besides it seems this is an external library, but clearly IERenderer is (as far as I'm concerned) the only issue using Pegasus Mail with Wine. Can something be done about that? Pretty pretty please?... Thanks again for that [u]great[/u] piece of software!

Can something be done about that? Pretty pretty please?...

What is this supposed to mean, please? IERenderer is based on MS Internet Explorer which has been a default part of MS Windows for a long time and still is supported in so far as such modules like IER can still continue using the libraries provided by it. Support for system parts of Windows has always been the task of the people providing the WINE Windows emulator (which I assume you're using) and nobody else.

IOW: If you're asking for fixes these peoply are the ones to ask for implementing them, but since IE support has been officially discontinued this year and the compatility support is supposed to be discontinued in 2029 as well I don't think anyone would really put lots of efforts into this anymore. If you're asking for a replacement, though: This is on my list but don't expect to see anything in the near future- rather within another two years might be kind of a viable perspective.

[quote="pid:54414, uid:36421"]Can something be done about that? Pretty pretty please?...[/quote] What is this supposed to mean, please? IERenderer is based on MS Internet Explorer which has been a default part of MS Windows for a long time and still is supported in so far as such modules like IER can still continue using the libraries provided by it. Support for system parts of Windows has always been the task of the people providing the WINE Windows emulator (which I assume you're using) and nobody else. IOW: If you're asking for fixes these peoply are the ones to ask for implementing them, but since IE support has been officially discontinued this year and the compatility support is supposed to be discontinued in 2029 as well I don't think anyone would really put lots of efforts into this anymore. If you're asking for a replacement, though: This is on my list but don't expect to see anything in the near future- rather within another two years might be kind of a viable perspective.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

What is this supposed to mean, please?

Pretty much what I wrote: Can something be done about that issue? I don't know what, and I wouldn't even dare guess since I am, as I said, clueless about what's going on.
I don't even know what IERenderer really does. As far as I know "it renders HTML", but then there are apparently also other HTML renderers in Pegasus Mail, so I'm at a loss.

Anyway, IE exists and works fine in Wine (obviously, since it was a cornerstone of Windows and lots of programs expect it), so if IERenderer simply uses IE's engine to render HTML I suppose it should had worked in Wine. After all Wine is a complete mini Windows environment, almost a VM.
Now it might be that Wine's emulated version of IE is slightly different from the original in a way which causes IERenderer to fail. One could argue who's task is to fix this, IERenderer's or Wine's (personally I would be tempted to say "both together", but it's not my decision to make), and I get the fact that MSIE being EOLed, it doesn't seem to warrant the effort (except maybe for Wine, which AFAIK is committed to remain backwards compatible, so I guess in 10 years time there will still be a copy of IE in the Wine environment, for those old Windows programs which still need it.)

If a new version of "future IERenderer" is on the track, that's good news, I don't care waiting. Just please make sure it works in Wine... I've been a Microsoft user since DOS 2, all the way to Win7. Win8 convinced me that Windows wasn't a viable option anymore, and I'm happily using Linux since. There are some Windows programs though I don't want to lose.

[quote="pid:54420, uid:2133"]What is this supposed to mean, please?[/quote] Pretty much what I wrote: Can something be done about that issue? I don't know what, and I wouldn't even dare guess since I am, as I said, clueless about what's going on. I don't even know what IERenderer really does. As far as I know "it renders HTML", but then there are apparently also other HTML renderers in Pegasus Mail, so I'm at a loss. Anyway, IE exists and works fine in Wine (obviously, since it was a cornerstone of Windows and lots of programs expect it), so if IERenderer simply uses IE's engine to render HTML I suppose it _should_ had worked in Wine. After all Wine is a complete mini Windows environment, almost a VM. Now it might be that Wine's emulated version of IE is slightly different from the original in a way which causes IERenderer to fail. One could argue who's task is to fix this, IERenderer's or Wine's (personally I would be tempted to say "both together", but it's not my decision to make), and I get the fact that MSIE being EOLed, it doesn't seem to warrant the effort (except maybe for Wine, which AFAIK is committed to remain backwards compatible, so I guess in 10 years time there will _still_ be a copy of IE in the Wine environment, for those old Windows programs which still need it.) If a new version of "future IERenderer" is on the track, that's good news, I don't care waiting. Just _please_ make sure it works in Wine... I've been a Microsoft user since DOS 2, all the way to Win7. Win8 convinced me that Windows wasn't a viable option anymore, and I'm happily using Linux since. There are some Windows programs though I don't want to lose.

One could argue who's task is to fix this, IERenderer's or Wine's

Not with the WINE people: When I asked them about implementing a workaround or an installer option on my side they strictly claimed that it's not my task to do so. There we go resp. don't, and pretty obviously they don't provide a full blown Windows emulation as you can see, I'm sorry.

[quote="pid:54429, uid:36421"]One could argue who's task is to fix this, IERenderer's or Wine's[/quote] Not with the WINE people: When I asked them about implementing a workaround or an installer option on my side they strictly claimed that it's not my task to do so. There we go resp. don't, and pretty obviously they don't provide a full blown Windows emulation as you can see, I'm sorry.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Sep 6 '22 at 5:04 pm

Well that's all well and good, but it doesn't solve the problem at hand, does it...

Anyway, thank you for your time.

Well that's all well and good, but it doesn't solve the problem at hand, does it... Anyway, thank you for your time.

Look, I'm doing what I do as long as I like to, the very last thing I need is people trying to put pressure on me for doing them a favor for just nothing.

Look, I'm doing what I do as long as I like to, the very last thing I need is people trying to put pressure on me for doing them a favor for just nothing.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

I'm fully aware of it, and that's why I thanked you for the time you spent so far.

I'm sorry if you took it as a reproach or a request, it wasn't meant as either.
As I said, the point of the initial post was to say that "a better Wine compatibility would be nice to have" (especially since the native Linux version of Pegasus Mail seems to had been abandoned), that's all. I definitely don't pretend to have anything to say here.

I'm fully aware of it, and that's why I thanked you for the time you spent so far. I'm sorry if you took it as a reproach or a request, it wasn't meant as either. As I said, the point of the initial post was to say that "a better Wine compatibility would be nice to have" (especially since the native Linux version of Pegasus Mail seems to had been abandoned), that's all. I definitely don't pretend to have anything to say here.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft