Community Discussions and Support
Spellchecker in v4.80: Another bug(?) (NOT!), and dictionary file confusion

While trying to explain the behavior posted by 0MrSkeezix143 I came across two things that I need some help with.

1. In the spell checker Settings tab is the option "Commence checking automatically". This setting is not working for me. Spell checking commences automatically regardless of whether this setting is enabled or not. The manual does not contain a reference to "Commence checking automatically" but it does have a reference to "Start check automatically". I can not determine if they are the same. There isn't any reference to the spell checker Settings tab in the manual that I can find. Please give this a look and a test. I hope we don't have another spell checker related bug.

2. AFAIK, the US English dictionary file is pmdict3us.pmd. Based on that, I tested the spell checker while that file was renamed to pmdict3_pmd.renamed. Surprisingly, the spell checker worked as expected. I eventually figured out that the US English dictionary file in v4.80 (and maybe prior), is en_US.dic and has the associated files en_US.aff and en_us_v5.dict. All of them are in \Pmail\Programs\DICTS.This may not be news to many of you but it was to me so I thought I would pass it on.

While trying to explain the behavior posted by 0MrSkeezix143 I came across two things that I need some help with. 1. In the spell checker Settings tab is the option "Commence checking automatically". This setting is not working for me. Spell checking commences automatically regardless of whether this setting is enabled or not. The manual does not contain a reference to "Commence checking automatically" but it does have a reference to "Start check automatically". I can not determine if they are the same. There isn't any reference to the spell checker Settings tab in the manual that I can find. Please give this a look and a test. I hope we don't have another spell checker related bug. 2. AFAIK, the US English dictionary file is pmdict3us.pmd. Based on that, I tested the spell checker while that file was renamed to pmdict3_pmd.renamed. Surprisingly, the spell checker worked as expected. I eventually figured out that the US English dictionary file in v4.80 (and maybe prior), is en_US.dic and has the associated files en_US.aff and en_us_v5.dict. All of them are in \Pmail\Programs\DICTS. This may not be news to many of you but it was to me so I thought I would pass it on.
edited Sep 9 '22 at 8:56 pm

I have since discovered that when the "Commence checking automatically" option is not checked the spell checker will open paused, as if it stopped on a blank space. There is a "Start check" button at bottom left that I overlooked. The spell checking will procede normally if the Skip once button is clicked. This is what threw me.

It is now obvious that the "Commence checking automatically" option is the same as the "Start check automatically" function described in the manual.

Sorry for the bug scare!

I have since discovered that when the "Commence checking automatically" option is not checked the spell checker will open paused, as if it stopped on a blank space. There is a "Start check" button at bottom left that I overlooked. The spell checking will procede normally if the Skip once button is clicked. This is what threw me. It is now obvious that the "Commence checking automatically" option is the same as the "Start check automatically" function described in the manual. Sorry for the bug scare!
edited Sep 9 '22 at 8:23 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft