Community Discussions and Support
Problem printing group of selected emails

First, a little background.

I move emails from each of my clients into a folder for each client. Then I select a group of those emails and print them to a single pdf file.

Recently, only one of the group of selected emails is printed. For example, if I have 5 emails selected, one is printed 5 times.

I uninstalled Pegasus and reinstalled it as an update, but that didn't help.

Any thoughts on what is going on and how to deal with it?

First, a little background. I move emails from each of my clients into a folder for each client. Then I select a group of those emails and print them to a single pdf file. Recently, only one of the group of selected emails is printed. For example, if I have 5 emails selected, one is printed 5 times. I uninstalled Pegasus and reinstalled it as an update, but that didn't help. Any thoughts on what is going on and how to deal with it?

Larry Hess CPA | Albuquerque NM

I move emails from each of my clients into a folder for each client. Then I select a group of those emails and print them to a single pdf file.

I learned something new today. I didn't know you could select a group of messages and print them all with a single print command. In my tests I am presented with a seperate print dialog for each message and couldn't duplicate the same message reprint issue.

I am intrigued by the comment about printing them to a single pdf file. Based on the behavior I experienced I don't see how that is possible. Each message is a separate print job.

[quote="pid:54498, uid:2980"]I move emails from each of my clients into a folder for each client. Then I select a group of those emails and print them to a single pdf file.[/quote] I learned something new today. I didn't know you could select a group of messages and print them all with a single print command. In my tests I am presented with a seperate print dialog for each message and couldn't duplicate the same message reprint issue. I am intrigued by the comment about printing them to a single pdf file. Based on the behavior I experienced I don't see how that is possible. Each message is a separate print job.

I learned something new today. I didn't know you could select a group of messages and print them all with a single print command.

Me too.

In my tests I am presented with a seperate print dialog for each message and couldn't duplicate the same message reprint issue.

It turns out to require special conditions: You need to print HTML messages and have IER disabled as the default HTML printer while using it as your HTML renderer. If it is enabled as default HTML printer you won't be able to print multiple HTML messages this way at all, it'll just print only a single one. If not enabled as default printer you'll see this multi-copy issue.

I am intrigued by the comment about printing them to a single pdf file. Based on the behavior I experienced I don't see how that is possible. Each message is a separate print job.

I guess he's using a tool like FinePrint for collecting print jobs which allows you to compile and reformat print jobs to a larger extent than the typical default printer drivers do.

Now to the issue with IER: The intention behind the changes causing this issue to occur were to provide a better print quality and avoiding crashes even if IER would not be preferred as the default handler for printing but only for preparing the HTML (which is done in the background as for replies and forwarding). Since I didn't know about this option for multi-prints I didn't take any special care about any possible issues with this so I'm starting to look into this now. I'm confident about finding a proper solution.

[quote="pid:54500, uid:28772"]I learned something new today. I didn't know you could select a group of messages and print them all with a single print command.[/quote] Me too. [quote="pid:54500, uid:28772"]In my tests I am presented with a seperate print dialog for each message and couldn't duplicate the same message reprint issue.[/quote] It turns out to require special conditions: You need to print HTML messages and have IER disabled as the default HTML printer while using it as your HTML renderer. If it is enabled as default HTML printer you won't be able to print multiple HTML messages this way at all, it'll just print only a single one. If not enabled as default printer you'll see this multi-copy issue. [quote="pid:54500, uid:28772"]I am intrigued by the comment about printing them to a single pdf file. Based on the behavior I experienced I don't see how that is possible. Each message is a separate print job.[/quote] I guess he's using a tool like FinePrint for collecting print jobs which allows you to compile and reformat print jobs to a larger extent than the typical default printer drivers do. Now to the issue with IER: The intention behind the changes causing this issue to occur were to provide a better print quality and avoiding crashes even if IER would not be preferred as the default handler for printing but only for preparing the HTML (which is done in the background as for replies and forwarding). Since I didn't know about this option for multi-prints I didn't take any special care about any possible issues with this so I'm starting to look into this now. I'm confident about finding a proper solution.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

OK, I've restored the multi-print option under the restrictions listed above: IER's printing may not automatically jump in if HTML messages are part of the sample to be printed and if it does there's no multi-print at all for HTML messages avalaible via IER's printing routines, preview and options. This is a restriction of the Pegasus Mail interface, not of IER's capabilities since I'm doing all this without any official interface at all as it was implemented way before IER was created.

OK, I've restored the multi-print option under the restrictions listed above: IER's printing may not automatically jump in if HTML messages are part of the sample to be printed and _if_ it does there's no multi-print at all for HTML messages avalaible via IER's printing routines, preview and options. This is a restriction of the Pegasus Mail interface, not of IER's capabilities since I'm doing all this without any official interface at all as it was implemented way before IER was created.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Michael, you're right on. I use pdfFactory which is a product of FinePrint. I've been doing this successfully for 7 or 8 years and only recently became aware of this unwanted behavior. I now need to go back & redo some of my files. So I'm particularly interested to know if you have any idea when the issue might be fixed. In the meantime, is there a workaround?

Michael, you're right on. I use pdfFactory which is a product of FinePrint. I've been doing this successfully for 7 or 8 years and only recently became aware of this unwanted behavior. I now need to go back & redo some of my files. So I'm particularly interested to know if you have any idea when the issue might be fixed. In the meantime, is there a workaround?

There is no real fix, only the workaround as implemented now for my next release and described above, you will always have to live with this kind of compromise. You can go back IER's history for getting an older version from its history page (see my signature) but it's not recommended to do this as it'll break other fixes (unfortunately I don't have a note about this change in my revision control system otherwise I could tell you which version to try). You may of course choose to always print using Pegasus Mail's default printing capabilities without having IER's options which wouldn't be such a big issue for you if using a FinePrint tool which most likely offers enough options for you to cover all your needs.

... spoke too soon, found it: Version 2.6.5.12 must be the one before I changed the print handling, its the one coming with the latest Pegasus Mail 4.8 release, but as I said: Be aware of possibly other issues coming back as mentioned on the history page.

There is no real fix, only the workaround as implemented now for my next release and described above, you will always have to live with this kind of compromise. You can go back IER's history for getting an older version from its history page (see my signature) but it's not recommended to do this as it'll break other fixes (unfortunately I don't have a note about this change in my revision control system otherwise I could tell you which version to try). You may of course choose to always print using Pegasus Mail's default printing capabilities without having IER's options which wouldn't be such a big issue for you if using a FinePrint tool which most likely offers enough options for you to cover all your needs. ... spoke too soon, found it: Version 2.6.5.12 must be the one before I changed the print handling, its the one coming with the latest Pegasus Mail 4.8 release, but as I said: Be aware of possibly other issues coming back as mentioned on the history page.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Sep 15 '22 at 7:07 am

Maybe I should elaborate on this : What you get if reinstalling 2.6.5.12 is the status we had for a long time, maybe even ever since IER's own print handler existed.

With the current version it works like this, though (if I don't miss a case): If you exclusively print plain text messages everything will be fine no matter what, if you exclusively print a batch of HTML messages you will only get a single message printed with IER being enabled as default HTML printer, and printing a mixture of both will provide unpredictable results. But: If you disable IER as the HTML default printer (in IER's own config dialog) you should get the results you expect to get not matter whether plain text or HTML. The only back draft of this would be that IER needs to get triggered manually for printing single HTML messages if desired so, its shortcut is displayed on its menu.

Maybe I can come up with a better solution later on but I currently can't tell.

Maybe I should elaborate on this : What you get if reinstalling 2.6.5.12 is the status we had for a long time, maybe even ever since IER's own print handler existed. With the current version it works like this, though (if I don't miss a case): If you exclusively print plain text messages everything will be fine no matter what, if you exclusively print a batch of HTML messages you will only get a single message printed with IER being enabled as default HTML printer, and printing a mixture of both will provide unpredictable results. **But:** If you _disable_ IER as the HTML _default_ printer (in IER's own config dialog) you should get the results you expect to get not matter whether plain text or HTML. The only back draft of this would be that IER needs to get triggered manually for printing single HTML messages if desired so, its shortcut is displayed on its menu. Maybe I can come up with a better solution later on but I currently can't tell.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

I want to be sure I understand your advice. In addition to Pegasus, installed is Pegasus Mail HYML Renderer 2.6.5.9 by Micha's Midnight Manufacture.installed. Sounds like that's your app. Your website says the most recent version is 2.6.5.18. Should I uninstall 2.6.5.9 & install 2.6.5.18? If that doesn't solve the problem, I should install versions before 2.5.6.9 & see which one works?

I want to be sure I understand your advice. In addition to Pegasus, installed is Pegasus Mail HYML Renderer 2.6.5.9 by Micha's Midnight Manufacture.installed. Sounds like that's your app. Your website says the most recent version is 2.6.5.18. Should I uninstall 2.6.5.9 & install 2.6.5.18? If that doesn't solve the problem, I should install versions before 2.5.6.9 & see which one works?

So I did download 2.6.5.12. After installing it the Win 10 Uninstall or change a program applet says I have 2.4.10.3! But Pegasus prints the way I need it to.

So I did download 2.6.5.12. After installing it the Win 10 _Uninstall or change a program_ applet says I have 2.4.10.3! But Pegasus prints the way I need it to.

First of all there's no need to uninstall older versions, Larry: The installer will remove obsolete files if necessary. And with regard to version numbers: IER's current versions always show their version info in whatever dialog's caption it opens and in the tooltip popping up when moving the mouse pointer across its toolbar button. Additionally its button will now indicate whenever updates are available unless you disable this feature in IER's button menu (rightmost on PM's toolbar). Glad to hear that the version you installed helps getting your issue solved - although I'm a little surprised that it does after testing in my environments ...

First of all there's no need to uninstall older versions, Larry: The installer will remove obsolete files if necessary. And with regard to version numbers: IER's current versions always show their version info in whatever dialog's caption it opens and in the tooltip popping up when moving the mouse pointer across its toolbar button. Additionally its button will now indicate whenever updates are available unless you disable this feature in IER's button menu (rightmost on PM's toolbar). Glad to hear that the version you installed helps getting your issue solved - although I'm a little surprised that it does after testing in my environments ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Sep 16 '22 at 5:31 am

2.6.5.12 doesn't work for me after all. When I try disabling IER I get his message "Please try again after closing all reader windows and the folder manager!" How do I deal with it?

2.6.5.12 doesn't work for me after all. When I try disabling IER I get his message "Please try again after closing all reader windows and the folder manager!" How do I deal with it?

CORRECTION to last post.

When installing .12 I answered yes to the question about replacing the existing DLL so I ended up with .15. I've now installed .12 correctly and everything is working fine.

CORRECTION to last post. When installing .12 I answered yes to the question about replacing the existing DLL so I ended up with .15. I've now installed .12 correctly and everything is working fine.

One more note on this now after checking deeper into it, Larry: It's impossible to really get it working with all options enabled, i.e. you can only print multiple messages at once if IER is not enabled to automatically jump in by default for printing HTML messages since it cannot access plain text messages nor do batch printing which both would require David Harris to extend Pegasus Mail's interface with regard to this. IOW: If you select the appropriate printing trigger manually you can always get what you want with my next update again, I just had implemented an enhancement with regard to preparing HTML messages for printing as good as currently possible (including at least some pictures) not knowing that printing multiple messages in a batch job was possible at all.

One more note on this now after checking deeper into it, Larry: It's impossible to really get it working with all options enabled, i.e. you can only print multiple messages at once if IER is _not_ enabled to automatically jump in by default for printing HTML messages since it cannot access plain text messages nor do batch printing which both would require David Harris to extend Pegasus Mail's interface with regard to this. IOW: If you select the appropriate printing trigger manually you can always get what you want with my next update again, I just had implemented an enhancement with regard to preparing HTML messages for printing as good as currently possible (including at least some pictures) not knowing that printing multiple messages in a batch job was possible at all.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Michael, thanks for following up. It's good to know this issue is on your mind. I do have IER turned off. Fortunately, I have very few graphics in my emails. The main one is my signature block and it prints just fine from the bcc to myself - but not the ones saved with Copy Self. It's not important to print The ones I get from, for example, my bank (I assume they are HTML).

I don't understand your reference to the appropriate printing trigger. Can you explain?

At any rate, I'm a happy camper printing the way I need.

Michael, thanks for following up. It's good to know this issue is on your mind. I do have IER turned off. Fortunately, I have very few graphics in my emails. The main one is my signature block and it prints just fine from the bcc to myself - but not the ones saved with Copy Self. It's not important to print The ones I get from, for example, my bank (I assume they are HTML). I don't understand your reference to the appropriate printing trigger. Can you explain? At any rate, I'm a happy camper printing the way I need.

I don't understand your reference to the appropriate printing trigger. Can you explain?

You can always opt to print HTML mails via IER's button menu (and a shortcut key) if it doesn't automatically print them due to your IER option settings, that's what I meant to say. In this case the default printer will just keep on printing all messages using Pegasus Mail's default printer setup no matter what content if using the default Pegasus Mail commands and buttons resp. menu entries. Just don't enable IER as your HTML auto-printer (in its own configuration dialog).

[quote="pid:54555, uid:2980"]I don't understand your reference to the appropriate printing trigger. Can you explain?[/quote] You can always opt to print HTML mails via IER's button menu (and a shortcut key) if it doesn't automatically print them due to your IER option settings, that's what I meant to say. In this case the default printer will just keep on printing all messages using Pegasus Mail's default printer setup no matter what content if using the default Pegasus Mail commands and buttons resp. menu entries. Just don't enable IER as your HTML auto-printer (in its own configuration dialog).
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft