Community Discussions and Support
Mercury v5 - hopefully with longer local user names

Hi Rolf,
What are the state of affairs regarding Mercury v5? All in time? smile

At the moment I have to create lots of new user accounts which will be accessed by Roundcube via IMAP. ... and what's annoying me again and again is the limitation to 8 digits for a local user name. Hopefully you got this on your list.

Cheers
Joerg

Hi Rolf, What are the state of affairs regarding Mercury v5? All in time? ;) At the moment I have to create lots of new user accounts which will be accessed by Roundcube via IMAP. ... and what's annoying me again and again is the limitation to 8 digits for a local user name. Hopefully you got this on your list. Cheers Joerg

v5 is still not ready for beta testing, but the entirely remodeled mailstore module is done.

There is currently a choice between 8 character and 50 character limit for usernames for Mercury, so I assume there is some special reason for using the short name in your case?

v5 is still not ready for beta testing, but the entirely remodeled mailstore module is done. There is currently a choice between 8 character and 50 character limit for usernames for Mercury, so I assume there is some special reason for using the short name in your case?

Hi Rolf,
The reason is that we're partially still using Pegasus Mail. And when I remember correctly the pair Pmail/Mercury could only handle user names which are limited to 8 digits.

Hi Rolf, The reason is that we're partially still using Pegasus Mail. And when I remember correctly the pair Pmail/Mercury could only handle user names which are limited to 8 digits.

There are no such limitations when using standard protocols for mailbox access (POP3 or IMAP), but direct access from Pegasus Mail to mailboxes has some special requirements. I expect the new v5 mailstore will solve that though.

There are no such limitations when using standard protocols for mailbox access (POP3 or IMAP), but direct access from Pegasus Mail to mailboxes has some special requirements. I expect the new v5 mailstore will solve that though.

The reason is that we're partially still using Pegasus Mail. And when I remember correctly the pair Pmail/Mercury could only handle user names which are limited to 8 digits.

IIRC, suffixing the "Home mailbox root directory" with "~N" instead of "~8" allowed for the use of long user names between Pegasus and Mercury. This is the path in PMAIL.CFG created with pconfig.

[quote="pid:54644, uid:3785"]The reason is that we're partially still using Pegasus Mail. And when I remember correctly the pair Pmail/Mercury could only handle user names which are limited to 8 digits.[/quote] IIRC, suffixing the "Home mailbox root directory" with "~N" instead of "~8" allowed for the use of long user names between Pegasus and Mercury. This is the path in PMAIL.CFG created with pconfig.

Hi Brian,

Always a pleasure to particpate on your Pmail/Mercury nowledge. Appreciated
I've updated our pmail.cfg using pconfig.exe and replaced the ~8 with ~N. Will see whether it helps.

But this is another "workarround" to solve things, which should nowadays be the most natural thing in the world without the need to additional adjustment.

Thanks Brian

Hi Brian, Always a pleasure to particpate on your Pmail/Mercury nowledge. Appreciated I've updated our pmail.cfg using pconfig.exe and replaced the ~8 with ~N. Will see whether it helps. But this is another "workarround" to solve things, which should nowadays be the most natural thing in the world without the need to additional adjustment. Thanks Brian
edited Nov 7 '22 at 12:57 pm

Don't forget to replace the '8' in 'edit pegasus email gateway/reply address format' as well....or you'll get truncated 'from' addresses which I can assure you will cause a few probs for the postmaster.

Don't forget to replace the '8' in 'edit pegasus email gateway/reply address format' as well....or you'll get truncated 'from' addresses which I can assure you will cause a few probs for the postmaster.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft