Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus not logging in to service provider

For most of '22 I have been unable to get Peg to log in to my service provider. I got some help for a while from Han, but it reverted after a month or so.
When attempting to log in Peg goes to a time-out after one second or less even though it says it has a 15 second time out.
Can anyone give me some help on this? I have been using Pegasus for about 40 years, and this problem is the worst.
John Pante (Smuggly Kanuck)

For most of '22 I have been unable to get Peg to log in to my service provider. I got some help for a while from Han, but it reverted after a month or so. When attempting to log in Peg goes to a time-out after one second or less even though it says it has a 15 second time out. Can anyone give me some help on this? I have been using Pegasus for about 40 years, and this problem is the worst. John Pante (Smuggly Kanuck)

If your email service is Office 365 then you have probably hit the brick wall of the Microsoft rolling change to login authentication. See the postings in this forum on the subject. I have finally done my workround - and hope it stays viable until David can get Pegasus working with MS Oauth2 for IMAP and POP3.

No easy solution. Although you can cobble together a workround - but it may be a convoluted process.

If your email service is Office 365 then you have probably hit the brick wall of the Microsoft rolling change to login authentication. See the postings in this forum on the subject. I have finally done my workround - and hope it stays viable until David can get Pegasus working with MS Oauth2 for IMAP and POP3. No easy solution. Although you can cobble together a workround - but it may be a convoluted process.

Gmail has new challenges as well. Who is your provider? Have you received any communication from them about OAUTH2?

Gmail has new challenges as well. Who is your provider? Have you received any communication from them about OAUTH2?

My service provider is a mostly Canadian company called Auracom. I have been using it and its predecessor companies for about 40 years. They have grown from a small local company to something that has presence across Canada. I can get in on their app, and to their mail server, sisna.com,
but that does not let me archive my corrspondance on my own machine.
Since a lot of that is confidential client correspondance, I am not happy about it.
I do not use MS Office. or even Word or Excel. I do my best to renounce Bill Gates and all his works, although I am sure he is a nice man, personally.
Cheers.

My service provider is a mostly Canadian company called Auracom. I have been using it and its predecessor companies for about 40 years. They have grown from a small local company to something that has presence across Canada. I can get in on their app, and to their mail server, sisna.com, but that does not let me archive my corrspondance on my own machine. Since a lot of that is confidential client correspondance, I am not happy about it. I do not use MS Office. or even Word or Excel. I do my best to renounce Bill Gates and all his works, although I am sure he is a nice man, personally. Cheers.

I wonder if you are using the same login details on Pegasus as you use on your app? Recent Oauth2 changes have required Pegasus v4.80 to use an "AppPassword" generated by your supplier - which is not the password that you already use to login to the web access via a browser.

That still works temporarily on Pegasus for gmail Oauth2 - and David is trying to catch up with the moving goalposts. That method was only a temporary measure on Office 365 - and is now obsolescent.

It is surprising if your supplier hasn't an help/faq covering use of third party applications for login.

You may still have the problem eventually of hoping David can find a solution that works for most of the various suppliers' proprietary interpretations of the Oauth2 framework.

My poor solution to local PC archiving with OWA on a browser is to Forward the emails to an account on another supplier's email system which Pegasus can still access for receive.

I wonder if you are using the same login details on Pegasus as you use on your app? Recent Oauth2 changes have required Pegasus v4.80 to use an "AppPassword" generated by your supplier - which is not the password that you already use to login to the web access via a browser. That still works temporarily on Pegasus for gmail Oauth2 - and David is trying to catch up with the moving goalposts. That method was only a temporary measure on Office 365 - and is now obsolescent. It is surprising if your supplier hasn't an help/faq covering use of third party applications for login. You may still have the problem eventually of hoping David can find a solution that works for most of the various suppliers' proprietary interpretations of the Oauth2 framework. My poor solution to local PC archiving with OWA on a browser is to Forward the emails to an account on another supplier's email system which Pegasus can still access for receive.

Would do this to try and get more info on exactly what is happening.
Tools / Internet Options
Check the create Internet Log Files.

Then do a connection using the connection with the problem.
In the mail directory there should be a TCPLogs subdirectory, and it will have the log or logs.

They might have some additional specifics of what the issues is.
Note that logs can contain plain text of passwords, so make sure you change if you upload any of the log.

As an example. This is the connection with my local ISP. Had 1 message, but deleted it and changed password line.
00:43:47.964: --- 9 Nov 2022, 0:43:47.964 ---
00:43:47.965: Connect to '127.0.0.1', timeout 60 seconds.
00:43:48.966: >> +OK Dovecot ready.<cr><lf>
00:43:48.967: << USER mikes<cr><lf>
00:43:48.977: >> +OK<cr><lf>
00:43:48.977: << PASS xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<cr><lf>
00:43:49.058: >> +OK Logged in.<cr><lf>
00:43:49.063: << STAT<cr><lf>
00:43:49.074: >> +OK 1 45709<cr><lf>
00:43:49.075: << LIST<cr><lf>
00:43:49.085: >> +OK 1 messages:<cr><lf>
00:43:49.086: >> 1 45709<cr><lf>
00:43:49.086: >> .<cr><lf>
00:43:49.188: << RETR 1<cr><lf>
00:43:49.200: >> +OK 45709 octets<cr><lf>

Removed the 1 message download info

00:43:49.329: >> .<cr><lf>
00:43:49.331: << DELE 1<cr><lf>
00:43:49.340: >> +OK Marked to be deleted.<cr><lf>
00:43:49.340: << QUIT<cr><lf>
00:43:49.400: >> +OK Logging out, messages deleted.<cr><lf>
00:43:49.403: --- Connection closed at 9 Nov 2022, 0:43:49.403. ---
00:43:49.404:

I connect to ISP using STUNNEL to make SSL connection, but should see something similar.

Would do this to try and get more info on exactly what is happening. Tools / Internet Options Check the create Internet Log Files. Then do a connection using the connection with the problem. In the mail directory there should be a TCPLogs subdirectory, and it will have the log or logs. They might have some additional specifics of what the issues is. Note that logs can contain plain text of passwords, so make sure you change if you upload any of the log. As an example. This is the connection with my local ISP. Had 1 message, but deleted it and changed password line. 00:43:47.964: --- 9 Nov 2022, 0:43:47.964 --- 00:43:47.965: Connect to &#039;127.0.0.1&#039;, timeout 60 seconds. 00:43:48.966: &gt;&gt; +OK Dovecot ready.&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:48.967: &lt;&lt; USER mikes&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:48.977: &gt;&gt; +OK&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:48.977: &lt;&lt; PASS xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:49.058: &gt;&gt; +OK Logged in.&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:49.063: &lt;&lt; STAT&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:49.074: &gt;&gt; +OK 1 45709&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:49.075: &lt;&lt; LIST&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:49.085: &gt;&gt; +OK 1 messages:&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:49.086: &gt;&gt; 1 45709&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:49.086: &gt;&gt; .&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:49.188: &lt;&lt; RETR 1&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:49.200: &gt;&gt; +OK 45709 octets&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; Removed the 1 message download info 00:43:49.329: &gt;&gt; .&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:49.331: &lt;&lt; DELE 1&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:49.340: &gt;&gt; +OK Marked to be deleted.&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:49.340: &lt;&lt; QUIT&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:49.400: &gt;&gt; +OK Logging out, messages deleted.&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; 00:43:49.403: --- Connection closed at 9 Nov 2022, 0:43:49.403. --- 00:43:49.404: I connect to ISP using STUNNEL to make SSL connection, but should see something similar.

mikes@guam.net

Msetzerii:
You must have acompletely different interation of Pegasus than I do. on mine, internet tools does not give that 'create Internet Log Files.' option. I have 4.8 and maybe it is just a conincidence, but some of this trouble seems to have started when it downloaded itself to my machines.
When I enter the address, mail.sisna.com peg autonomously adds
/#1 to the end. THis might be what is being rejected. Any idea houw to keep this from happening?
Cheers???
Smuggly K

'

Msetzerii: You must have acompletely different interation of Pegasus than I do. on mine, internet tools does not give that &#039;create Internet Log Files.&#039; option. I have 4.8 and maybe it is just a conincidence, but some of this trouble seems to have started when it downloaded itself to my machines. When I enter the address, mail.sisna.com peg autonomously adds /#1 to the end. THis might be what is being rejected. Any idea houw to keep this from happening? Cheers??? Smuggly K &#039;

636b3089606a6

Tools / Internet Options / General

![636b3089606a6](serve/attachment&amp;path=636b3089606a6) Tools / Internet Options / General

mikes@guam.net

OK! Progress has been made. I found that piecem about 8 clicks in.
I checked the box. Now what is supposed to happen?
So far nothing has and nothing happened when I checked that box.
???

OK! Progress has been made. I found that piecem about 8 clicks in. I checked the box. Now what is supposed to happen? So far nothing has and nothing happened when I checked that box. ???

OK! Progress has been made. I found that piecem about 8 clicks in.
I checked the box. Now what is supposed to happen?
So far nothing has and nothing happened when I checked that box.

While that box is ticked, each time Pegasus Mail checks for messages or sends a message a log file will be created in the automatically created TCPLogs directory located in the mailbox directory. The log files are in plain text but will have the identifying extension of either .pop, .smpt, or .imap

[quote=&quot;pid:54677, uid:11805&quot;]OK! Progress has been made. I found that piecem about 8 clicks in. I checked the box. Now what is supposed to happen? So far nothing has and nothing happened when I checked that box.[/quote] While that box is ticked, each time Pegasus Mail checks for messages or sends a message a log file will be created in the automatically created TCPLogs directory located in the mailbox directory. The log files are in plain text but will have the identifying extension of either .pop, .smpt, or .imap

As previously noted, Pegasus is not connecting, so no messages have been sent or received. Therefore, no TCP Logs directory appears in the mail directory. What's next??
Smuggly Kanuck

As previously noted, Pegasus is not connecting, so no messages have been sent or received. Therefore, no TCP Logs directory appears in the mail directory. What&#039;s next?? Smuggly Kanuck

Log files will be created at each attempt to send or receive. The log will hopefully indicate the cause of the failed connection. So, enable logging, attempt a send (a .smtp log file will be created), attempt to retrieve mail (a .pop log file will be created).

Edit: Just to be clear, the log file contains a record of the communication between Pegasus Mail and the mail server being contacted.

Log files will be created at each attempt to send or receive. The log will hopefully indicate the cause of the failed connection. So, enable logging, attempt a send (a .smtp log file will be created), attempt to retrieve mail (a .pop log file will be created). Edit: Just to be clear, the log file contains a record of the communication between Pegasus Mail and the mail server being contacted.
edited Nov 10 '22 at 7:50 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft