Community Discussions and Support
Move of email in "New Mail" to a folder takes a lon time

We have Pegasus installed on a Windows 2008 server and then we used wssetup.exe to install on our Windows workstations.

Recently the time it takes to move an email from my "New mail" folder to one of the other folders created under "My Mailbox" had increased dramatically - up to 3 minutes. Pegasus will show "Not Responding" while the move is taking place.

We archive out of these folders so they are not overly large. They have no grown significantly prior to the issue with the time it takes to move and email.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing the slow down?

We have Pegasus installed on a Windows 2008 server and then we used wssetup.exe to install on our Windows workstations. Recently the time it takes to move an email from my "New mail" folder to one of the other folders created under "My Mailbox" had increased dramatically - up to 3 minutes. Pegasus will show "Not Responding" while the move is taking place. We archive out of these folders so they are not overly large. They have no grown significantly prior to the issue with the time it takes to move and email. Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing the slow down?
  1. Make sure the workstation has a default printer and that it can communicate with the printer. I know this sounds weird but Pegasus Mail is dependent on being able to communicate with a printer. Slowness is one of the effects when it can't.

2. If there been a change in the AV product or configuration be sure that the root mailbox directory is excluded from active scanning. Include it in scheduled and on-demand scans only.

1. Make sure the workstation has a default printer and that it can communicate with the printer. I know this sounds weird but Pegasus Mail is dependent on being able to communicate with a printer. Slowness is one of the effects when it can't. 2. If there been a change in the AV product or configuration be sure that the root mailbox directory is excluded from active scanning. Include it in scheduled and on-demand scans only.

How many messages are in the folder that messages are being moved too?
Recall there is some number that causes issues?
I've don't know if I have ever hit the limit, but tend to create other folders to split them into smaller sizes. Also, makes opening folders faster.
Also, have you checked the folder for index issues, and tried reindexing it.

Just to point out, there is no real "New mail" folder, those are actually all the *.CNM files in the mail box. Also, there is an issue if there is an excessive number of CNM files that cause issues. I've never liked leaving messages in the CNM state, so generally, move all messages to some folder.

Don't know if that makes any difference in your case.

Good Luck.

How many messages are in the folder that messages are being moved too? Recall there is some number that causes issues? I've don't know if I have ever hit the limit, but tend to create other folders to split them into smaller sizes. Also, makes opening folders faster. Also, have you checked the folder for index issues, and tried reindexing it. Just to point out, there is no real "New mail" folder, those are actually all the *.CNM files in the mail box. Also, there is an issue if there is an excessive number of CNM files that cause issues. I've never liked leaving messages in the CNM state, so generally, move all messages to some folder. Don't know if that makes any difference in your case. Good Luck.

mikes@guam.net

I do have a default printer set. I tried changing it to another printer to see if that made a difference. It didn't seem to but then I closed Peagasus and re-opened and it seemed to be better - for 3 email moves and then it slowed again.

I do have a default printer set. I tried changing it to another printer to see if that made a difference. It didn't seem to but then I closed Peagasus and re-opened and it seemed to be better - for 3 email moves and then it slowed again.

I have create 48 folders that show beneath "My Mailbox". None of them are overly large. I archive emails out of them yearly so the folder is rebuilt to "recover lost space" when that happens. I also did try and re-index on of the folders to see if that made a difference and it did not.

I do keep my "New Mail" folder with as few as possible - currently there are 32 emails in my New Mail.

I have create 48 folders that show beneath "My Mailbox". None of them are overly large. I archive emails out of them yearly so the folder is rebuilt to "recover lost space" when that happens. I also did try and re-index on of the folders to see if that made a difference and it did not. I do keep my "New Mail" folder with as few as possible - currently there are 32 emails in my New Mail.

Any chance there are user disk quotas set on Server 2008 and you are bumping that limit?

I ran a setup like yours for many years (15 users, Pegasus Mail on Server 2003 then 200smile. I remember odd behavior when users where close to their quota limit but I don't remember the details.

Quota limit, 2GB folder size limit, default printer, and something interfering with the writes (like AV scanning) are the only things that have come to my mind so far.

Any chance there are user disk quotas set on Server 2008 and you are bumping that limit? I ran a setup like yours for many years (15 users, Pegasus Mail on Server 2003 then 2008). I remember odd behavior when users where close to their quota limit but I don't remember the details. Quota limit, 2GB folder size limit, default printer, and something interfering with the writes (like AV scanning) are the only things that have come to my mind so far.

To try to see what might be going on.
I'd open the task manager to watch processes in a window, and then open Pegasus and do a test of moving some messages. Then quickly switch to the task manager, and see if it is showing just the Pegasus Program as a heavy user, or if perhaps something else is being activated that is slowing things down.

I've got 96 folders in my mail directory with just under 3G of total size. Largest folder is under 700M.

Are all folders in individual users mail directory, or any shared folders.
Might want to check HIERARCH.PM file and make sure that all folders have different names.
Sometimes people copy a folder to a new name, but that leaves the internal names same.

Example: lines from my HIERARCH.PM file
0,0,"FUIF553Y:23DE:USPS2018","024B349:My mailbox","USPS2018"
0,0,"8QM3VKXP:3337:USPS2019","024B349:My mailbox","USPS2019"
0,0,"V3VV7J9V:3338:USPS2020","024B349:My mailbox","USPS2020"
0,0,"MRHQQDQ7:3873:USPS2021","024B349:My mailbox","USPS2021"

These all have unique names in the 3rd parameter since folders were created and messages moved from the original USPS folder. I also have process to change the 3rd part of 3rd parameter to match to the physical file name versus the FOL* name. So might want to see if somehow folder with issue might have conflict??

Also, check ownership rights on files.

To try to see what might be going on. I'd open the task manager to watch processes in a window, and then open Pegasus and do a test of moving some messages. Then quickly switch to the task manager, and see if it is showing just the Pegasus Program as a heavy user, or if perhaps something else is being activated that is slowing things down. I've got 96 folders in my mail directory with just under 3G of total size. Largest folder is under 700M. Are all folders in individual users mail directory, or any shared folders. Might want to check HIERARCH.PM file and make sure that all folders have different names. Sometimes people copy a folder to a new name, but that leaves the internal names same. Example: lines from my HIERARCH.PM file 0,0,"FUIF553Y:23DE:USPS2018","024B349:My mailbox","USPS2018" 0,0,"8QM3VKXP:3337:USPS2019","024B349:My mailbox","USPS2019" 0,0,"V3VV7J9V:3338:USPS2020","024B349:My mailbox","USPS2020" 0,0,"MRHQQDQ7:3873:USPS2021","024B349:My mailbox","USPS2021" These all have unique names in the 3rd parameter since folders were created and messages moved from the original USPS folder. I also have process to change the 3rd part of 3rd parameter to match to the physical file name versus the FOL* name. So might want to see if somehow folder with issue might have conflict?? Also, check ownership rights on files.

mikes@guam.net

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft