Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus mail crashes when trying to send or receive mail - out of the blue - no changes to pc system - worked fine for years previously!

Hello the Forum,
My partner and I have been using Pegasus Mail for years and years - never a problem until this morning. Out of the blue - with no changes on either machine - Pegasus Mail crashes when trying to check or send emails on our laptop and on our PC. Both running windows 7, both worked absolutely perfectly yesterday - but this morning both crash when we try to send or receive mail.

Here's the Windows "problem details" report:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: winpm-32.exe
Application Version: 4.8.0.1028
Application Timestamp: 61e3dbc2
Fault Module Name: baselib.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.0.4.1240
Fault Module Timestamp: 621b1ec3
Exception Code: 80000003
Exception Offset: 000a687e
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

And another windows crash report:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: winpm-32.exe
Application Version: 4.8.0.1028
Application Timestamp: 61e3dbc2
Fault Module Name: dhui.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.0.4.537
Fault Module Timestamp: 621b1ecd
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000a76bb
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I have tried using Pegasus with several different email accounts connecting to various servers - no joy. Any help or advice will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Satch.

Hello the Forum, My partner and I have been using Pegasus Mail for years and years - never a problem until this morning. Out of the blue - with no changes on either machine - Pegasus Mail crashes when trying to check or send emails on our laptop and on our PC. Both running windows 7, both worked absolutely perfectly yesterday - but this morning both crash when we try to send or receive mail. Here's the Windows "problem details" report: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: winpm-32.exe Application Version: 4.8.0.1028 Application Timestamp: 61e3dbc2 Fault Module Name: baselib.dll Fault Module Version: 1.0.4.1240 Fault Module Timestamp: 621b1ec3 Exception Code: 80000003 Exception Offset: 000a687e OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48 Locale ID: 2057 Additional Information 1: 0a9e Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789 Additional Information 3: 0a9e Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789 And another windows crash report: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: winpm-32.exe Application Version: 4.8.0.1028 Application Timestamp: 61e3dbc2 Fault Module Name: dhui.dll Fault Module Version: 1.0.4.537 Fault Module Timestamp: 621b1ecd Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 000a76bb OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48 Locale ID: 2057 Additional Information 1: 0a9e Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789 Additional Information 3: 0a9e Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789 I have tried using Pegasus with several different email accounts connecting to various servers - no joy. Any help or advice will be most appreciated. Thanks, Satch.
edited Dec 11 '22 at 12:07 pm

Would first check those files sizes and dates to see if they had been modified by something.

1035528 Feb 27 2022 BASELIB.DLL
1523472 Feb 27 2022 DHUI.DLL

With Linux I'd use the following to get checksum of files to compare you files with know good copy of the files, sure windows has a similar command, but don't have a windows machine handy.

sha256sum BASELIB.DLL
0b44aa831dc2dfd9649b30c54ebe252db2ec812c4769db68d7b4f1aa343efcdd BASELIB.DLL
sha256sum DHUI.DLL
448354b712df87262487178fcb04c8d328e2deefb52c70a5749f17a84367745e DHUI.DLL

Would probable be good to confirm all files match. Perhaps copy all file in Programs directory to a backup folder, and do a reinstall, and then compare each file.

Would first check those files sizes and dates to see if they had been modified by something. 1035528 Feb 27 2022 BASELIB.DLL 1523472 Feb 27 2022 DHUI.DLL With Linux I'd use the following to get checksum of files to compare you files with know good copy of the files, sure windows has a similar command, but don't have a windows machine handy. sha256sum BASELIB.DLL 0b44aa831dc2dfd9649b30c54ebe252db2ec812c4769db68d7b4f1aa343efcdd BASELIB.DLL sha256sum DHUI.DLL 448354b712df87262487178fcb04c8d328e2deefb52c70a5749f17a84367745e DHUI.DLL Would probable be good to confirm all files match. Perhaps copy all file in Programs directory to a backup folder, and do a reinstall, and then compare each file.

mikes@guam.net

Would first check those files sizes and dates to see if they had been modified by something.

1035528 Feb 27 2022 BASELIB.DLL
1523472 Feb 27 2022 DHUI.DLL

Those files are consistent with the ones in my 4.80 installations.

There is a known bug in 4.80 that resulted in a crash when the mouse wheel was used. An update to IERenderer fixed that. You would have experienced this when first installing or updated to 4.80 though and it wouldn't occur when sending or retrieving messages. Normally I would recommend a cold boot of the device but you state that the crash is occurring on two devices so a system fault is unlikely. If each device has its own installation of Pegasus Mail then it is hard to imagine that both installations could suffer the same problem at the same time. If both devices are using the same anti-malware product then perhaps an update to it has introduced a problem. Try excluding the \PMAIL\Programs directory from active scanning if it isn't already.

[quote="pid:54753, uid:2546"]Would first check those files sizes and dates to see if they had been modified by something. 1035528 Feb 27 2022 BASELIB.DLL 1523472 Feb 27 2022 DHUI.DLL[/quote] Those files are consistent with the ones in my 4.80 installations. There is a known bug in 4.80 that resulted in a crash when the mouse wheel was used. An update to IERenderer fixed that. You would have experienced this when first installing or updated to 4.80 though and it wouldn't occur when sending or retrieving messages. Normally I would recommend a cold boot of the device but you state that the crash is occurring on two devices so a system fault is unlikely. If each device has its own installation of Pegasus Mail then it is hard to imagine that both installations could suffer the same problem at the same time. If both devices are using the same anti-malware product then perhaps an update to it has introduced a problem. Try excluding the \PMAIL\Programs directory from active scanning if it isn't already.

Thanks for replies msetzerii and Brian Fluet. I have re-installed pegasus (as an update) and I have tried with my anti-malware disabled.

Stranger still is that I can access my email account via webmail just fine, but as soon as I try to send or receive from pegasus it crashes.

Next step is probably to do a fresh clean pegasus install and see where that leads me...

Thanks for replies msetzerii and Brian Fluet. I have re-installed pegasus (as an update) and I have tried with my anti-malware disabled. Stranger still is that I can access my email account via webmail just fine, but as soon as I try to send or receive from pegasus it crashes. Next step is probably to do a fresh clean pegasus install and see where that leads me...

Update IERenderer first if you haven't. If you create a clean install, be sure to update it immediately.

Update IERenderer first if you haven't. If you create a clean install, be sure to update it immediately.

Solved.
Backed up my mail folder, uninstalled pegasus etc - reboot - delete pmail folder - reboot - download and install fresh pmail - reboot - configure pmail and test - restore my mail folder - back in action.

Phew. Cause remains a mystery...

Solved. Backed up my mail folder, uninstalled pegasus etc - reboot - delete pmail folder - reboot - download and install fresh pmail - reboot - configure pmail and test - restore my mail folder - back in action. Phew. Cause remains a mystery...

I am glad that this worked but I don't understand why. The re-installation as an update would have replaced any bad program files. It should have been equivalent to running a clean installation with a mail directory restored from the problem installation.

I am glad that this worked but I don't understand why. The re-installation as an update would have replaced any bad program files. It should have been equivalent to running a clean installation with a mail directory restored from the problem installation.

Just wondering. In doing a Pegasus upgrade, if there was a newer version of IER would it overwrite the one included with Pegasus or keep a newer version. Perhaps it had a version of IER that had issues versus the later one.

Would have been nice if they had copied the directory so that one could compare all the files to see what might have been different or corrupted..

Would be nice to know exactly what was wrong, and how it was fixed.

Just wondering. In doing a Pegasus upgrade, if there was a newer version of IER would it overwrite the one included with Pegasus or keep a newer version. Perhaps it had a version of IER that had issues versus the later one. Would have been nice if they had copied the directory so that one could compare all the files to see what might have been different or corrupted.. Would be nice to know exactly what was wrong, and how it was fixed.

mikes@guam.net

Just wondering. In doing a Pegasus upgrade, if there was a newer version of IER would it overwrite the one included with Pegasus or keep a newer version. Perhaps it had a version of IER that had issues versus the later one.

The silent setup is supposed to do the default (according to Inno's docs) and since overwriting a newer version isn't the default (users getting prompted for overwriting if updating manually) it shouldn't do so - haven't tested it myself, though.

[quote="pid:54762, uid:2546"]Just wondering. In doing a Pegasus upgrade, if there was a newer version of IER would it overwrite the one included with Pegasus or keep a newer version. Perhaps it had a version of IER that had issues versus the later one.[/quote] The silent setup is supposed to do the default (according to Inno's docs) and since overwriting a newer version isn't the default (users getting prompted for overwriting if updating manually) it shouldn't do so - haven't tested it myself, though.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

msetzerii, brian Fluet, Michael - thanks for responding.

I suspect that the problem was OS related (win7) as opposed to a problem with Pegasus. I say this because my PC is an old and tired machine that does crash randomly, sometimes three times a day and sometimes once in three weeks. This situation has reinforced my "backup" and my "save" ethos smile

Anyhow, along with an OS restore to about a week earlier, the fresh Pegasus install fixed whatever was causing the problem. And later this week a brand spanking new PC is arriving, with Windows 11, so I will be experiencing more quick learning in the use of that OS and Pegasus etc....

Thanks again, and best wishes to you all.
Satch

PS Music anyone? https://susanraven.bandcamp.com/

msetzerii, brian Fluet, Michael - thanks for responding. I suspect that the problem was OS related (win7) as opposed to a problem with Pegasus. I say this because my PC is an old and tired machine that does crash randomly, sometimes three times a day and sometimes once in three weeks. This situation has reinforced my "backup" and my "save" ethos :) Anyhow, along with an OS restore to about a week earlier, the fresh Pegasus install fixed whatever was causing the problem. And later this week a brand spanking new PC is arriving, with Windows 11, so I will be experiencing more quick learning in the use of that OS and Pegasus etc.... Thanks again, and best wishes to you all. Satch PS Music anyone? [https://susanraven.bandcamp.com/](https://susanraven.bandcamp.com/)

Condolences on the Windows 11... Well some people like it, while others don't.
I like keeping old machines running. Brother has a Windows 7 machine that he loves since it will run many of his favorite games that Windows 8 and above refuse to run at all, or crash constantly.
I've got two windows machines - A Dell that has windows 10, and fails the compatibility test for upgrading to windows 11. Bought an HP notebook for little over $100 and it had Windows 10, but it did upgrade to 11. Wasn't happy with its running with 8G Ram, so upgraded it to 16G, and seems much better for limited testing I've done. 5 other machines are all Linux and work fine with latest Fedora. Have an ancient IBM R61 notebook that only has 4G, but doesn't see it all.. Find upgrading machines to SSD drives does a big change, and more ram is good. Did upgrade 1 machine recently from a 2 core CPU to an 8 core for about $75. But my first machine was an IBM 1130 with 4K of actual core memory (1963) and was still running in the mid 70s. Punched cards and teletype.
Well, hope it works for you and supports all your software. I'm very happy that Pegasus runs great for me with Linux and WINEHQ version of wine. Hope the next upgrade goes as smoothly as past upgrades. Be using Pegasus since the old DOS version on Novell 2.2 network.. Good Luck.

Condolences on the Windows 11... Well some people like it, while others don't. I like keeping old machines running. Brother has a Windows 7 machine that he loves since it will run many of his favorite games that Windows 8 and above refuse to run at all, or crash constantly. I've got two windows machines - A Dell that has windows 10, and fails the compatibility test for upgrading to windows 11. Bought an HP notebook for little over $100 and it had Windows 10, but it did upgrade to 11. Wasn't happy with its running with 8G Ram, so upgraded it to 16G, and seems much better for limited testing I've done. 5 other machines are all Linux and work fine with latest Fedora. Have an ancient IBM R61 notebook that only has 4G, but doesn't see it all.. Find upgrading machines to SSD drives does a big change, and more ram is good. Did upgrade 1 machine recently from a 2 core CPU to an 8 core for about $75. But my first machine was an IBM 1130 with 4K of actual core memory (1963) and was still running in the mid 70s. Punched cards and teletype. Well, hope it works for you and supports all your software. I'm very happy that Pegasus runs great for me with Linux and WINEHQ version of wine. Hope the next upgrade goes as smoothly as past upgrades. Be using Pegasus since the old DOS version on Novell 2.2 network.. Good Luck.

mikes@guam.net

The silent setup is supposed to do the default (according to Inno's docs) and since overwriting a newer version isn't the default (users getting prompted for overwriting if updating manually) it shouldn't do so - haven't tested it myself, though.

I have confirmed that a reinstall of Pegasus Mail as an upgrade does not overwrite a newer version of IERenderer.

[quote="pid:54764, uid:2133"]The silent setup is supposed to do the default (according to Inno's docs) and since overwriting a newer version isn't the default (users getting prompted for overwriting if updating manually) it shouldn't do so - haven't tested it myself, though.[/quote] I have confirmed that a reinstall of Pegasus Mail as an upgrade does not overwrite a newer version of IERenderer.

I have confirmed that a reinstall of Pegasus Mail as an upgrade does not overwrite a newer version of IERenderer.

Thanks, Brian!

[quote="pid:54768, uid:28772"]I have confirmed that a reinstall of Pegasus Mail as an upgrade does not overwrite a newer version of IERenderer.[/quote] Thanks, Brian!
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft