Community Discussions and Support
E mail Messages stopped displaying

I am still using Pegasus Mail V 4.8 on a Windows 7 laptop and all was fine up to a couple of days ago when suddenly the emails I have downloaded in the program will not open. When I reply and forward they will open and show the email and also when I open a draft this shows up but any emails I receive or are already saved on Pegasus Mail refuse to open. I have deleted Pegasus Mail program and reinstalled it but the problem still exists. I have thought of deleting the MAIL folder before reinstalling the program but this would entail having to reconfigure Pegasus Mail including allowing messages to be download from my Gmail mail client.
Can anybody assist please?
Norman

I am still using Pegasus Mail V 4.8 on a Windows 7 laptop and all was fine up to a couple of days ago when suddenly the emails I have downloaded in the program will not open. When I reply and forward they will open and show the email and also when I open a draft this shows up but any emails I receive or are already saved on Pegasus Mail refuse to open. I have deleted Pegasus Mail program and reinstalled it but the problem still exists. I have thought of deleting the MAIL folder before reinstalling the program but this would entail having to reconfigure Pegasus Mail including allowing messages to be download from my Gmail mail client. Can anybody assist please? Norman

I am responding under the assumption that you are running in List mode since there is no reference to the Preview window.

I wonder if the mail reader window is opening offscreen.
At the bottom of the main Pegasus Mail window is its taskbar that shows its open windows like tabs in a browser. If you don't see this, click the blue triangle at bottom right (this toggles it on/off). The tab of a folder window will contain the image of a yellow folder. The tab of a reader window will contain the image of a white envelope. The image will be of pen & paper for an Editor window. Note: You can also see a list of open windows by using the "Window" pull-down" menu. The taskbar allows you to identify the open window type but if you only have a small number of folder windows open then you should easily be able to spot any that are reader windows.

If you do not see any tabs for reader windows...

1. Select a message then click the "Open" button on the main Pegasus Mail toolbar.
  2. If you do not see a tab for a reader window in the Pegasus Mail taskbar then stop reading an post back because my suspicion is not correct. If you see one, continue reading.

If you see any tabs for reader windows...

1. Close all folder windows.
  2. If none of the reader windows are visible now, click the "Window" pull-down menu item and click either Tile or Cascade. This will bring them all into the main Pegasus Mail window either tiled or cascaded. At this point I suggest closing them all. Now open all of the folder windows that you normally have open and the restart Pegasus Mail. Note: The opening of folder windows is only needed if you have Pegasus Mail set to preserve the desktop state.

I am responding under the assumption that you are running in List mode since there is no reference to the Preview window. I wonder if the mail reader window is opening offscreen. At the bottom of the main Pegasus Mail window is its taskbar that shows its open windows like tabs in a browser. If you don't see this, click the blue triangle at bottom right (this toggles it on/off). The tab of a folder window will contain the image of a yellow folder. The tab of a reader window will contain the image of a white envelope. The image will be of pen & paper for an Editor window. Note: You can also see a list of open windows by using the "Window" pull-down" menu. The taskbar allows you to identify the open window type but if you only have a small number of folder windows open then you should easily be able to spot any that are reader windows. If you do not see any tabs for reader windows... 1. Select a message then click the "Open" button on the main Pegasus Mail toolbar. 2. If you do not see a tab for a reader window in the Pegasus Mail taskbar then stop reading an post back because my suspicion is not correct. If you see one, continue reading. If you see any tabs for reader windows... 1. Close all folder windows. 2. If none of the reader windows are visible now, click the "Window" pull-down menu item and click either Tile or Cascade. This will bring them all into the main Pegasus Mail window either tiled or cascaded. At this point I suggest closing them all. Now open all of the folder windows that you normally have open and the restart Pegasus Mail. Note: The opening of folder windows is only needed if you have Pegasus Mail set to preserve the desktop state.

Not clean on issue, but recall I once had some emails that gave strange issue similar to just getting a white screen. Turned out that the message was using white text, but somehow the changing of background color wasn't working, so it was showing white text on a white background.
Doing a Ctrl-A to hightlight would show it. Also, what happens if you right-click and select open in browser.
Or use open and then select raw view...

Not clean on issue, but recall I once had some emails that gave strange issue similar to just getting a white screen. Turned out that the message was using white text, but somehow the changing of background color wasn't working, so it was showing white text on a white background. Doing a Ctrl-A to hightlight would show it. Also, what happens if you right-click and select open in browser. Or use open and then select raw view...

mikes@guam.net

Dear all,

Many thanks to you both for getting back in touch so quickly but Brian has certainly squarely hit the nail on the head on this one! I followed Brian’s simple and straightforward instructions and when I deleted all the hidden windows which showed up after I cascaded the windows as suggested all was back and fully functional again when I then closed and reopened Pegasus Mail.

Many thanks again Brian for helping me out on this straightforward fix which is greatly appreciated.

Have a great Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year.

Best wishes Norman

Dear all, Many thanks to you both for getting back in touch so quickly but Brian has certainly squarely hit the nail on the head on this one! I followed Brian’s simple and straightforward instructions and when I deleted all the hidden windows which showed up after I cascaded the windows as suggested all was back and fully functional again when I then closed and reopened Pegasus Mail. Many thanks again Brian for helping me out on this straightforward fix which is greatly appreciated. Have a great Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year. Best wishes Norman
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft