Community Discussions and Support
Run program AFTER email delivered ?

It can be an advantage to have a 'Swiss Army Knife' rather than a drawer full of knives & forks [:D]

It can be an advantage to have a 'Swiss Army Knife' rather than a drawer full of knives & forks [:D]

Hi

Is it possible to get Mercury32 to run a specific program AFTER email has been delivered ??

Thanks 

<p>Hi</p><p>Is it possible to get Mercury32 to run a specific program AFTER email has been delivered ??</p><p>  Thanks </p>

Delivered where - a server? a mailbox? You may be able to do that with a policy or a filter.

Perhaps if you describe what you want to do in more detail, there may be more suggestions.

<P>Delivered where - a server? a mailbox? You may be able to do that with a policy or a filter.</P> <P>Perhaps if you describe what you want to do in more detail, there may be more suggestions.</P> <P mce_keep="true"> </P>

Sorry should have explained more.

Inbound email -> Once it's been delivered to the correct user I would like to run a script.
But only after it as been delivered to the Internal user.

Thanks

<p>Sorry should have explained more.</p><p>Inbound email -> Once it's been delivered to the correct user I would like to run a script. But only after it as been delivered to the Internal user.</p><p>Thanks  </p>

[quote user="tomt"]

Sorry should have explained more.

Inbound email -> Once it's been delivered to the correct user I would like to run a script.
But only after it as been delivered to the Internal user.

Thanks

[/quote]

Can't see any way at all to do this in Mercury/32.  If you are using WinPMail there is a "Run a program" filter action that will do this for you. 

[quote user="tomt"]<p>Sorry should have explained more.</p><p>Inbound email -> Once it's been delivered to the correct user I would like to run a script. But only after it as been delivered to the Internal user.</p><p>Thanks  </p><p>[/quote]</p><p> </p><p>Can't see any way at all to do this in Mercury/32.  If you are using WinPMail there is a "Run a program" filter action that will do this for you. </p>

I have a rule that I setup to check email for a certain subject.  If the message comes in it will reboot the server.  This message is delivered to the mailbox before the reboot command runs.

I have a rule that I setup to check email for a certain subject.  If the message comes in it will reboot the server.  This message is delivered to the mailbox before the reboot command runs.

[quote user="Slab"]I have a rule that I setup to check email for a certain subject.  If the message comes in it will reboot the server.  This message is delivered to the mailbox before the reboot command runs.[/quote]

Not sure why you could not do this with a policy; the policy would pass the message to your application that would run the command to re-boot the system.  That said, one of the beta testers Frank Fesevur <omega@fesevur.com> has just developed a little daemon called MercExec to do just that via an alias.   I believe it will be available to the larger community as soon as it's cleaned up a bit.

&lt;p&gt;[quote user=&quot;Slab&quot;]I have a rule that I setup to check email for a certain subject.&amp;nbsp; If the message comes in it will reboot the server.&amp;nbsp; This message is delivered to the mailbox before the reboot command runs.[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Not sure why you could not do this with a policy; the policy would pass the message to your application that would run the command to re-boot the system.&amp;nbsp; That said, one of the beta testers Frank Fesevur &amp;lt;omega@fesevur.com&amp;gt; has just developed a little daemon called MercExec to do just that via an alias.&amp;nbsp;&amp;nbsp; I believe it will be available to the larger community as soon as it&#039;s cleaned up a bit. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Thanks.

Hopefully we'll get to play with MercExec soon [:D]

&lt;p&gt;Thanks.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Hopefully we&#039;ll get to play with MercExec soon [:D]&lt;/p&gt;

MercExec can be found at  http://www.fesevur.com/content/view/10/33/

Please let me know what you think it.

&lt;p&gt;MercExec can be found at&amp;nbsp; http://www.fesevur.com/content/view/10/33/&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Please let me know what you think it.&lt;/p&gt;

I don't mean to "rain on your parade" but doesn't this just duplicate the functionality of the "Run a program" filtering rule?

I have for some time had rules to remotely command my server via email. They trigger on receipt of an email to the 'give me an order' address, check for an allowed From: address, check for an authentication string in the headers &/or subject, then call batch or cygwin scripts to reboot, start/stop services (FTP, VNC, SSH etc.) or anything else, depending on the command(s) given in the body.

&lt;p&gt;I don&#039;t mean to &quot;rain on your parade&quot; but doesn&#039;t this just duplicate the functionality of the &quot;Run a program&quot; filtering rule?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I have for some time had rules to remotely command my server via email. They trigger on receipt of an email to the &#039;give me an order&#039; address, check for an allowed From: address, check for an authentication string in the headers &amp;amp;/or subject, then call batch or cygwin scripts to reboot, start/stop services (FTP, VNC, SSH etc.) or anything else, depending on the command(s) given in the body. &lt;/p&gt;

It is funny you bring this up. I was not aware of this filter action, and apparently I was not the only one. Thomas didn't mention it here in this thread, and on the beta-testers mailing list nobody mentioned it either.

My daemon is capable of doing more things then just run a program. It can also send you the listing of a directory or send you a specified file. And (as mentioned in the ReadMe.pdf in the archive) more things are planned as well.

But you are right, with filters a lot of this can be done as well. [:S]

&lt;p&gt;It is funny you bring this up. I was not aware of this filter action, and apparently I was not the only one. Thomas didn&#039;t mention it here in this thread, and on the beta-testers mailing list nobody mentioned it either. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;My daemon is capable of doing more things then just run a program. It can also send you the listing of a directory or send you a specified file. And (as mentioned in the ReadMe.pdf in the archive) more things are planned as well.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;But you are right, with filters a lot of this can be done as well. [:S] &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="Frank"] It is funny you bring this up. I was not aware of this filter action, and apparently I was not the only one. Thomas didn't mention it here in this thread, and on the beta-testers mailing list nobody mentioned it either.[/quote]

It was mentioned earlier in relation to the original question - running a program *after* a message has been delivered to a mailbox.

As I understand, no filter rule, policy or daemon in Mercury operates that late in the processing cycle.

[quote]My daemon is capable of doing more things then just run a program. It can also send you the listing of a directory or send you a specified file. And (as mentioned in the ReadMe.pdf in the archive) more things are planned as well.[/quote]

It looks very capable and I'm going to try it out.  :)

[quote user=&quot;Frank&quot;] It is funny you bring this up. I was not aware of this filter action, and apparently I was not the only one. Thomas didn&#039;t mention it here in this thread, and on the beta-testers mailing list nobody mentioned it either.[/quote] &lt;P&gt;It was mentioned&amp;nbsp;earlier in relation to the original question - running a program *after* a message has been delivered to a mailbox.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;As I understand, no filter rule, policy or daemon in Mercury operates that late in the processing cycle.&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;[quote]My daemon is capable of doing more things then just run a program. It can also send you the listing of a directory or send you a specified file. And (as mentioned in the ReadMe.pdf in the archive) more things are planned as well.[/quote]&lt;/P&gt; &lt;P&gt;It looks very capable and I&#039;m going to try it out.&amp;nbsp; :)&lt;/P&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft