Community Discussions and Support
Connection at Pmail startup after update.

Hello.
After updating from Pmail 4.73 to 4.80 a changed behaviour has been noted, now everytime Pmail is started it immediately make a connection to some server "w84.rzone.de"
Anyone know what could be the reason for this?

Hello. After updating from Pmail 4.73 to 4.80 a changed behaviour has been noted, now everytime Pmail is started it immediately make a connection to some server "w84.rzone.de" Anyone know what could be the reason for this?

IERenderer now automatically checks for updates at Pegasus Mail startup. I don't know the destination URL but I suspect that is what you are seeing. There is an option to disable it in the IERenderer pull-down menu.

FYI: There are two bugs in 4.80. One is with the personal spell checker word list being deleted and them not storing newly added words. The other with a crash caused by the mouse wheel. An update to IERenderer fixed that one. v4.81 public beta was recently released and has been solid so far. That version is worth consideration.

IERenderer now automatically checks for updates at Pegasus Mail startup. I don't know the destination URL but I suspect that is what you are seeing. There is an option to disable it in the IERenderer pull-down menu. FYI: There are two bugs in 4.80. One is with the personal spell checker word list being deleted and them not storing newly added words. The other with a crash caused by the mouse wheel. An update to IERenderer fixed that one. v4.81 public beta was recently released and has been solid so far. That version is worth consideration.

Pegasus Mail v4.81 public beta has been pulled. Visit the pmail.com site for details.

Pegasus Mail v4.81 public beta has been pulled. Visit the pmail.com site for details.

Many thanks for your reply!
I had a look at the menus I could find thru the IERenderer icon, but could not find any setting for automatic update check.
IERenderer is V 2.6.5.9 (maybe can/should be manually updated?)

Actually, I have been waiting since May for a new Pmail version which should make it possible to also use my Gmail account as before without "workarounds".
So when the 4.81 beta was available I downloaded and tried installing as an upgrade direct from 4.73 but it would not install. Thought maybe I had to install 4.80 first, which seems to work ok, but the 4.81 beta will still not install. (old machine with windows XP sp3)

Many thanks for your reply! I had a look at the menus I could find thru the IERenderer icon, but could not find any setting for automatic update check. IERenderer is V 2.6.5.9 (maybe can/should be manually updated?) Actually, I have been waiting since May for a new Pmail version which should make it possible to also use my Gmail account as before without "workarounds". So when the 4.81 beta was available I downloaded and tried installing as an upgrade direct from 4.73 but it would not install. Thought maybe I had to install 4.80 first, which seems to work ok, but the 4.81 beta will still not install. (old machine with windows XP sp3)

IERenderer is V 2.6.5.9 (maybe can/should be manually updated?)

The current version is 2.6.6.5. Its icon is in the toolbar of the main Pegasus Mail window. It is right-most and looks like the Internet Explorer "e" superimposed with the Pegasus flying horse. Clicking it will display a list of IERenderer options including "Auto Update Check". Clicking it toggles it on/off. When it detects a new version, the "Update IERenderer" option becomes available.

but the 4.81 beta will still not install. (old machine with windows XP sp3)

This is the second report I have seen regarding 4.81 failing to install on XP. No explanation yet as to exactly why. Interestingly, the first person was able to upgrade an installation of PMail on a Win7 machine and then copy it to his XP machine where it worked fine on his initial test. Conjecture is that the problem is in the installer. All we can do is wait and see what happens. AFAIK, there is no beta testing on XP.

[quote="pid:54803, uid:37691"]IERenderer is V 2.6.5.9 (maybe can/should be manually updated?)[/quote] The current version is 2.6.6.5. Its icon is in the toolbar of the main Pegasus Mail window. It is right-most and looks like the Internet Explorer "e" superimposed with the Pegasus flying horse. Clicking it will display a list of IERenderer options including "Auto Update Check". Clicking it toggles it on/off. When it detects a new version, the "Update IERenderer" option becomes available. [quote="pid:54803, uid:37691"]but the 4.81 beta will still not install. (old machine with windows XP sp3)[/quote] This is the second report I have seen regarding 4.81 failing to install on XP. No explanation yet as to exactly why. Interestingly, the first person was able to upgrade an installation of PMail on a Win7 machine and then copy it to his XP machine where it worked fine on his initial test. Conjecture is that the problem is in the installer. All we can do is wait and see what happens. AFAIK, there is no beta testing on XP.

All we can do is wait and see what happens. AFAIK, there is no beta testing on XP.

Well, keeping all development efforts compatible down to XP can be a major obstacle for staying up-to-date with current quality and safety/security requirements as well as code maintainability.

Anyway, I've just tried to install the 4.81 beta on XP myself (need to do so anyway for keeping my outdated PGP extension at least running to some extent) and can only confirm that it's the installer causing this. I'm pretty sure I can suggest a fix for this issue to David Harris since he uses Inno Setup only for the very first steps of the installation and it clearly states up to which version it still supports XP.

I'm just now trying to also get my upcoming IER update to become as XP compatible as possible, but I won't be able to overcome the fact that XP SP3 comes with IE 8 instead of IE 11 (unpatched XP with IE 6) and as such will miss lots of current default HTML and CSS features which even the last IE version doesn't completely provide: You'll get some more details with my next update.

[quote="pid:54804, uid:28772"]All we can do is wait and see what happens. AFAIK, there is no beta testing on XP.[/quote] Well, keeping all development efforts compatible down to XP can be a major obstacle for staying up-to-date with current quality and safety/security requirements as well as code maintainability. Anyway, I've just tried to install the 4.81 beta on XP myself (need to do so anyway for keeping my outdated PGP extension at least running to _some_ extent) and can only confirm that it's the installer causing this. I'm pretty sure I can suggest a fix for this issue to David Harris since he uses Inno Setup only for the very first steps of the installation and it clearly states up to which version it still supports XP. I'm just now trying to also get my upcoming IER update to become as XP compatible as possible, but I won't be able to overcome the fact that XP SP3 comes with IE 8 instead of IE 11 (unpatched XP with IE 6) and as such will miss lots of current default HTML and CSS features which even the last IE version doesn't completely provide: You'll get some more details with my next update.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Just some futher notes, I updated IERenderer to V 2.6.6.5 and after that the setting for "Auto update check" was there. After disabling that, the "startup connection" was gone.

However I now discovered that double click with left mouse button on a mail in New Mail folder does not open reader window with that mail anymore,.
if I instead hit enter on keyboard the reader window opens with the mail selected.

Just some futher notes, I updated IERenderer to V 2.6.6.5 and after that the setting for "Auto update check" was there. After disabling that, the "startup connection" was gone. However I now discovered that double click with left mouse button on a mail in New Mail folder does not open reader window with that mail anymore,. if I instead hit enter on keyboard the reader window opens with the mail selected.

However I now discovered that double click with left mouse button on a mail in New Mail folder does not open reader window with that mail anymore,.
if I instead hit enter on keyboard the reader window opens with the mail selected.

See this reply , it applies to messages in preview mode as well.

[quote="pid:54820, uid:37691"]However I now discovered that double click with left mouse button on a mail in New Mail folder does not open reader window with that mail anymore,. if I instead hit enter on keyboard the reader window opens with the mail selected.[/quote] See [this reply](https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/11789/mail-folder-behaviour/1#post-54819) , it applies to messages in preview mode as well.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Jan 4 '23 at 12:27 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft