Community Discussions and Support
Broken URL Links

[Pegasus Version 4.80.1028, IRR version 2.6.6.0]

When a link is received in an email with:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8,
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

it gets broken at various punctuations.. (the "https" is edited to keep this forum from rendering the pasted text as a clickable link)

ex: h...s://mydomain.com/myforum/index.php?action=notifyboard;board=40.0

..for example, at the semi-colon above.

Other clients (Roundcube, horde, etc.) don't suffer this affliction. I believe it's been that way for a long time.
Is this corrected (or scheduled to be) in a later version of either Pegasus or IRR?

[Pegasus Version 4.80.1028, IRR version 2.6.6.0] When a link is received in an email with: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8, Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit it gets broken at various punctuations.. (the "https" is edited to keep this forum from rendering the pasted text as a clickable link) ex: [u]h...s://mydomain.com/myforum/index.php?action=notifyboard;[/u]board=40.0 ..for example, at the semi-colon above. Other clients (Roundcube, horde, etc.) don't suffer this affliction. I believe it's been that way for a long time. Is this corrected (or scheduled to be) in a later version of either Pegasus or IRR?
edited Dec 31 '22 at 9:21 pm

Is this corrected (or scheduled to be) in a later version of either Pegasus or IRR?

Since you're quoting from plain text you can't really expect it from being handled correctly by default and that's what the context menu provides its Open selection as Hyperlink item for. If being rendered incorrectly by HTML renderers it would be a mandatory issue to fix, but it isn't. Maybe things like this can be taken care of once the more important issues (which are just be dealt with in the current (partly even public) beta testing) have been fixed - if possible at all, technically: How would any machine or software decide on which part of the text is still part of the URL? Just by counting blank spaces? This could simply be a typo, so who's going to complain next? Looks like there's no easy solution available if senders don't care ...

[quote="pid:54807, uid:3346"]Is this corrected (or scheduled to be) in a later version of either Pegasus or IRR?[/quote] Since you're quoting from plain text you can't really expect it from being handled correctly by default and that's what the context menu provides its _Open selection as Hyperlink_ item for. If being rendered incorrectly by HTML renderers it would be a mandatory issue to fix, but it isn't. Maybe things like this can be taken care of once the more important issues (which are just be dealt with in the current (partly even public) beta testing) have been fixed - if possible at all, technically: How would any machine or software decide on which part of the text is still part of the URL? Just by counting blank spaces? This could simply be a typo, so who's going to complain next? Looks like there's no easy solution available if senders don't care ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Is there an HTML version included? If so, I expect that Roundcube, horde, etc. are not displaying the plain text version of the message, which appears to be what you are looking at in Pegasus Mail. Switch to the HTML view if one exists otherwise the Open selection as Hyperlink function is the only alternative.

Is there an HTML version included? If so, I expect that Roundcube, horde, etc. are not displaying the plain text version of the message, which appears to be what you are looking at in Pegasus Mail. Switch to the HTML view if one exists otherwise the _Open selection as Hyperlink_ function is the only alternative.

Hi Brian - It is ONLY a plain text email (there is no html encoding)

and Roundcube renders it properly

h...s://mydomain.com/myforum/index.php?action=notifyboard;board=40.0

as does Horde (my webclient version doesn't support html at all)

Same same...

Pegasus, with the exact same email, alas..

Michael - I'm familiar with Open selection as Hyperlink and have used it for years, but since both Roundcube and Horde handle it properly, my question was if Pegasus is going to be able to do so at some point?

I don't know how it would be properly handled, but apparently RC and Horde do it.

I don't know if it's handled by native Pegasus or IRR (Pegasus I presume), and yes, it's been around a long time, which may be "forgot" by now.

Even if this only serves as a 'PR' reminder of the issue, my mission here is complete..

Hi Brian - It is ONLY a plain text email (there is no html encoding) and Roundcube renders it properly [u]h...s://mydomain.com/myforum/index.php?action=notifyboard;board=40.0[/u] as does Horde (my webclient version doesn't support html at all) Same same... [u]h...s://mydomain.com/myforum/index.php?action=notifyboard;board=40.0[/u] Pegasus, with the exact same email, alas.. [u]h...s://mydomain.com/myforum/index.php?action=notifyboard[/u];board=40.0 Michael - I'm familiar with [i]Open selection as Hyperlink[/i] and have used it for years, but since both Roundcube and Horde handle it properly, my question was if Pegasus is going to be able to do so at some point? I don't know how it would be properly handled, but apparently RC and Horde do it. I don't know if it's handled by native Pegasus or IRR (Pegasus I presume), and yes, it's been around a long time, which may be "forgot" by now. Even if this only serves as a 'PR' reminder of the issue, my mission here is complete..
edited Dec 31 '22 at 11:26 pm

I don't know if it's handled by native Pegasus or IRR (Pegasus I presume), and yes, it's been around a long time, which may be "forgot" by now.

I don't know whether David Harris modified it, but the third party TER editor (which is rendering the plain text) provides a link detection by itself, this is its description:

This function examines the hyperlinks in the document. A hyperlink is
matched if either CodeString1 or CodeString2 is found in the hyperlink code or url.

IOW: If just using this by calling the function there's no way to get it fixed without modifying the source code - which David's licence includes - so he might be able to patch it. But nevertheless there's still its ambiguity if the sender doesn't care to delimit the URL by enclosing it in angle brackets or quotes, e.g..

[quote="pid:54810, uid:3346"]I don't know if it's handled by native Pegasus or IRR (Pegasus I presume), and yes, it's been around a long time, which may be "forgot" by now.[/quote] I don't know whether David Harris modified it, but the third party TER editor (which is rendering the plain text) provides a link detection by itself, this is its description: >This function examines the hyperlinks in the document. A hyperlink is matched if either CodeString1 or CodeString2 is found in the hyperlink code or url. IOW: If just using this by calling the function there's no way to get it fixed without modifying the source code - which David's licence includes - so he might be able to patch it. But nevertheless there's still its ambiguity if the sender doesn't care to delimit the URL by enclosing it in angle brackets or quotes, e.g..
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Hi Michael,

In this case, it doesn't appear that the text-version of the URL is delimited, which is something I think can be addressed on the sender's server side.

But that said, Roundcube and Horde are dealing with it correctly as it is.. so the TER editor might benefit from a tweak - what, exactly, I don't know .. I'm a retired hardware engineer, not a coder :-b

Edit: Scratch that - it appears that if I delimit the URL with angle brackets , it does render properly... so there's the solution for at least this email server..

>>>HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone!<<<
Hi Michael, In this case, it doesn&#039;t appear that the text-version of the URL is delimited, which is something I think can be addressed on the sender&#039;s server side. But that said, Roundcube and Horde are dealing with it correctly as it is.. [s]so the TER editor might benefit from a tweak - what, exactly, I don&#039;t know[/s] .. I&#039;m a retired hardware engineer, not a coder :-b [i]Edit: Scratch that - it appears that if I delimit the URL with angle brackets , it does render properly... so there&#039;s the solution for at least [b]this[/b] email server..[/i] &gt;&gt;&gt;HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone!&lt;&lt;&lt;
edited Jan 1 '23 at 7:27 am

Edit: Scratch that - it appears that if I delimit the URL with angle brackets , it does render properly... so there's the solution for at least this email server..

Since I'm always doing this when inserting links in messages (unless using HTML anyway) David once thought about "normalizing" inserted URLs automatically while editing (or maybe converting to final format), but I didn't ever check whether he actually did so ... BTW: Doing this here requires you to learn how to do it with this forum's BBcode or just using the HTML entities if you know them: "& lt;" and "& gt;" - (abbr. for "less than" and "greater than" ) remove the spaces between ampersands and characters and you'll get the angle brackets here ...

[quote=&quot;pid:54812, uid:3346&quot;]Edit: Scratch that - it appears that if I delimit the URL with angle brackets , it does render properly... so there&#039;s the solution for at least this email server..[/quote] Since I&#039;m always doing this when inserting links in messages (unless using HTML anyway) David once thought about &quot;normalizing&quot; inserted URLs automatically while editing (or maybe converting to final format), but I didn&#039;t ever check whether he actually did so ... BTW: Doing this here requires you to learn how to do it with this forum&#039;s BBcode or just using the HTML entities if you know them: &quot;&amp; lt;&quot; and &quot;&amp; gt;&quot; - (abbr. for &quot;less than&quot; and &quot;greater than&quot; ) remove the spaces between ampersands and characters and you&#039;ll get the angle brackets here ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Jan 1 '23 at 10:02 am
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft