Community Discussions and Support
Mail folder behaviour

Greetings all -

Recently upgraded from 4.7 (as I recall) to 4.80.1028. I have always from early years using PMail sorted my mail into filing trays and folders. Until now I've been able to double left click a mail folder to open and view its contents while also being able to double click an individual email message to view and reply to it as well. While I can still open the individual messages, double clicking a folder fails to open it. I can open it with the 'Open' option on the menu bar above the folder window so it's not a big problem, just something that I always found convenient to readily access my mail folder contents. I did figure out I had to upgrade the IE Render app on my PC since once clicked on a folder name, PMail would essentially freeze for some reason but I go that sorted. Is there something I've overlooked in the setup for the new 4.8+ PMail version that will enable double click opening of folders?

Thank you very much in advance
Dennis Shinn
PMail user since the late '80's

Greetings all - Recently upgraded from 4.7 (as I recall) to 4.80.1028. I have always from early years using PMail sorted my mail into filing trays and folders. Until now I've been able to double left click a mail folder to open and view its contents while also being able to double click an individual email message to view and reply to it as well. While I can still open the individual messages, double clicking a folder fails to open it. I can open it with the 'Open' option on the menu bar above the folder window so it's not a big problem, just something that I always found convenient to readily access my mail folder contents. I did figure out I had to upgrade the IE Render app on my PC since once clicked on a folder name, PMail would essentially freeze for some reason but I go that sorted. Is there something I've overlooked in the setup for the new 4.8+ PMail version that will enable double click opening of folders? Thank you very much in advance Dennis Shinn PMail user since the late '80's

I haven't seen any other reports of the behavior and, AFAIK, nothing changed in v4.80 that should have caused it. A restart of Pegasus Mail is my first suggestion. A cold boot of the PC is my second. Finally, test with a different mouse if you have one.

I haven't seen any other reports of the behavior and, AFAIK, nothing changed in v4.80 that should have caused it. A restart of Pegasus Mail is my first suggestion. A cold boot of the PC is my second. Finally, test with a different mouse if you have one.

If you're using Pegasus Mail in preview mode and maybe on a slow machine it might get caused by the rendering of HTML messages for preview not being finished when encountering the second one of the clicks - if the first message in the folder to open actually contains HTML. It's due to the fact that HTML rendering takes significantly more time than displaying plain text even without loading embedded pictures and that IER needs to disable all user input during rendering since it would otherwise possibly cause crashes (a very long standing issue with preview mode, actually one of the hardest to fix issues ever also affecting navigation through folders - aside from IMAP ;-)). You can check this by cross checking: Switch to non-preview mode and try again, your double click should now work to open folders since rendering HTML message isn't involved anymore. Same effect if the folder's top message only contains plain text: The folder will open as you expect to on double click.

PS on 2023/01/04: The same applies to double-clicking messages in preview mode, see this post.

If you're using Pegasus Mail in preview mode and maybe on a slow machine it might get caused by the rendering of HTML messages for preview not being finished when encountering the second one of the clicks - if the first message in the folder to open actually contains HTML. It's due to the fact that HTML rendering takes significantly more time than displaying plain text even without loading embedded pictures and that IER needs to disable all user input during rendering since it would otherwise possibly cause crashes (a very long standing issue with preview mode, actually one of the hardest to fix issues ever also affecting navigation through folders - aside from IMAP ;-)). You can check this by cross checking: Switch to non-preview mode and try again, your double click should now work to open folders since rendering HTML message isn't involved anymore. Same effect if the folder's top message only contains plain text: The folder will open as you expect to on double click. PS on 2023/01/04: The same applies to double-clicking messages in preview mode, see [this post](https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/11785/connection-at-pmail-startup-after-update/1#post-54820).
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Jan 4 '23 at 12:25 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft