Community Discussions and Support
Message on mailling list about Beta pb3 being available

David Harris has just released a Pegasus Mail for Windows public beta 4.81

The public beta, which corrects the problems with the dictionary and introduces ouath2
verification for GMAIL (only) is available from:

https://www.pmail.com/betas.htm

More information on : https://www.pmail.com/v48x.htm

Regards,,

Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net
Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group.
My own Pegasus Mail related web information:
http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/

===

David Harris has just released a Pegasus Mail for Windows public beta 4.81 The public beta, which corrects the problems with the dictionary and introduces ouath2 verification for GMAIL (only) is available from: https://www.pmail.com/betas.htm More information on : https://www.pmail.com/v48x.htm Regards,, Han van den Bogaerde - support@vandenbogaerde.net Member of Pegasus Mail Support Group. My own Pegasus Mail related web information: http://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegasusmail/ ===

mikes@guam.net

Posted message unchanged above, but some additional info.
File downloads as w32-481-pb3.exe

First few lines of info.
Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows
Copyright (C) 1992-2022, David Harris, all rights reserved
Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz.

WinPMail version: Version 4.81.1154, Jan 10 2023, build ID 1154
Language resources: Standard UK English resources (EN,1,LL)
Extension Manager version: 1.14

Seems copyright should updated to 2023..

Files with newer dates.
1957120 Jan 4 04:15 WPM32_EN_0_LL.DLL
1957120 Jan 4 04:15 WPM32_EN_1_LL.DLL
1563236 Jan 4 04:29 WINPM-32.PHC
3673776 Jan 10 14:55 WINPM-32.EXE

Did an update install on my linux test user, and then copied above file to my main userid after doing full backup and everything seems to work fine for me, but do your own testing, and backup before.

Hadn't seen anything here.
https://www.pmail.com/ site has it listed.
https://www.pmail.com/v48x.htm is link

Hope works well for others..
Thank Mr. Harris, Great Work.

Posted message unchanged above, but some additional info. File downloads as w32-481-pb3.exe First few lines of info. Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows Copyright (C) 1992-2022, David Harris, all rights reserved Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz. WinPMail version: Version 4.81.1154, Jan 10 2023, build ID 1154 Language resources: Standard UK English resources (EN,1,LL) Extension Manager version: 1.14 Seems copyright should updated to 2023.. Files with newer dates. 1957120 Jan 4 04:15 WPM32_EN_0_LL.DLL 1957120 Jan 4 04:15 WPM32_EN_1_LL.DLL 1563236 Jan 4 04:29 WINPM-32.PHC 3673776 Jan 10 14:55 WINPM-32.EXE Did an update install on my linux test user, and then copied above file to my main userid after doing full backup and everything seems to work fine for me, but do your own testing, and backup before. Hadn't seen anything here. https://www.pmail.com/ site has it listed. https://www.pmail.com/v48x.htm is link Hope works well for others.. Thank Mr. Harris, Great Work.

mikes@guam.net

I've been using the beta version for a few days. It's good that IMAP folder navigation now works much better, even for Microsoft's live.com or outlook.com folders. I have hit crashes when navigating up or down the lists of IMAP messages.

Using the combined folder list and message view, and with message preview enabled, if I navigate briskly through my IMAP folder of messages, Pegasus crashes with an exception when I go past a message which takes a moment or two to show the HTML preview. The exact symptoms vary depending on whether IERenderer is enabled or not, but the same sequence crashes at the same message quite repeatably.

Should I try to send a clearer bug report? If so, what's the procedure?

I've been using the beta version for a few days. It's good that IMAP folder navigation now works much better, even for Microsoft's live.com or outlook.com folders. I have hit crashes when navigating up or down the lists of IMAP messages. Using the combined folder list and message view, and with message preview enabled, if I navigate briskly through my IMAP folder of messages, Pegasus crashes with an exception when I go past a message which takes a moment or two to show the HTML preview. The exact symptoms vary depending on whether IERenderer is enabled or not, but the same sequence crashes at the same message quite repeatably. Should I try to send a clearer bug report? If so, what's the procedure?

If this issue only occurs in an IMAP folder it's very unlikely that we can do anything about it in the short run since fixing the whole IMAP processing is a long term issue for David Harris and being worked on ever since - it might not even occur on other IMAP accounts.

If you can duplicate it in an ordinary local folder things might become easier to figure out, so maybe you can try this first?

If this issue only occurs in an IMAP folder it's very unlikely that we can do anything about it in the short run since fixing the whole IMAP processing is a long term issue for David Harris and being worked on ever since - it might not even occur on other IMAP accounts. If you can duplicate it in an ordinary local folder things might become easier to figure out, so maybe you can try this first?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

I can't get the exception to happen with local folders, nor with the IMAP folders which used to work with Pegasus Mail, just with the outlook.com folder in which version 4.80 could not cope with messages moved or deleted. With IERenderer enabled, I don't get a dump file but do often get Pegasus 4.81 beta to re-start without any message. Sometimes, though, I get a pop-up with text similar to this.

winpm-32

Access violation at address 09464F5E in module 'IERenderer.dll'. Read of address 00000450.

OK

The read of address 00000450 is the same in every such message. I don't know whether the program counter value is the same each time. Oh - for completeness, Windows 10 Home, reported as up to date by Windows Update.

I can't get the exception to happen with local folders, nor with the IMAP folders which used to work with Pegasus Mail, just with the outlook.com folder in which version 4.80 could not cope with messages moved or deleted. With IERenderer enabled, I don't get a dump file but do often get Pegasus 4.81 beta to re-start without any message. Sometimes, though, I get a pop-up with text similar to this. --------------------------- winpm-32 --------------------------- Access violation at address 09464F5E in module 'IERenderer.dll'. Read of address 00000450. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- The read of address 00000450 is the same in every such message. I don't know whether the program counter value is the same each time. Oh - for completeness, Windows 10 Home, reported as up to date by Windows Update.
edited Feb 7 '23 at 3:47 pm

OK, can you please forward a sample message to <beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz>, attached (this is important for keeping it unmodified!) to a new one with subject pointing to this thread? Or more than a single one if required for duplicating?

OK, can you please forward a sample message to &lt;beta-reports [at] pmail.gen.nz&gt;, attached (this is important for keeping it unmodified!) to a new one with subject pointing to this thread? Or more than a single one if required for duplicating?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Feb 7 '23 at 6:33 pm

I sent a specimen message yesterday, as requested. Just in case it helps - I also turned on IMAP protocol logging using command line flag -Z 32, and looked at the log file (called TCP-230207-2238-11.imap) where I used the up and down keys through the problem IMAP folder. I couldn't see anything wrong or shocking in the protocol.

It was noticeable that the four text-only messages in the folder were each read just once, but the one HTML message was re-read in full through IMAP each time the focus landed on it. That may be just a relative inefficiency, using more network bandwidth than one might expect it needed, or it may be related to the exception.

I sent a specimen message yesterday, as requested. Just in case it helps - I also turned on IMAP protocol logging using command line flag -Z 32, and looked at the log file (called TCP-230207-2238-11.imap) where I used the up and down keys through the problem IMAP folder. I couldn&#039;t see anything wrong or shocking in the protocol. It was noticeable that the four text-only messages in the folder were each read just once, but the one HTML message was re-read in full through IMAP each time the focus landed on it. That may be just a relative inefficiency, using more network bandwidth than one might expect it needed, or it may be related to the exception.

A further observation or two.

I have provoked what seemed the same crash (Pegasus Mail restarted without any message as it went down, just a mailbox locked warning on restart) using the assortment of messages in a different IMAP folder. That folder is hosted by a different provider (PlusNet) and has not caused any issues for Pegasus Mail 4.80. It took more navigating up and down the list of messages shown for the folder than for the outlook.com folder where the issue is more noticeable.

Reasonably careful watching of what I was doing and what appeared on screen in that outlook.com folder suggests the exception happens when I change the selected message away from one which is still being read and being prepared for preview. It's possible the significant difference for this IMAP folder is that messages load slightly slower than other IMAP folders, or local (file system) message folders.

I hope some of that is helpful for identifying the bug.

A further observation or two. I have provoked what seemed the same crash (Pegasus Mail restarted without any message as it went down, just a mailbox locked warning on restart) using the assortment of messages in a different IMAP folder. That folder is hosted by a different provider (PlusNet) and has not caused any issues for Pegasus Mail 4.80. It took more navigating up and down the list of messages shown for the folder than for the outlook.com folder where the issue is more noticeable. Reasonably careful watching of what I was doing and what appeared on screen in that outlook.com folder suggests the exception happens when I _change the selected message away_ from one which is _still being read_ and being prepared for preview. It&#039;s possible the significant difference for this IMAP folder is that messages load slightly slower than other IMAP folders, or local (file system) message folders. I hope some of that is helpful for identifying the bug.

It is, see my offline reply: This is very likely the reason for causing the issue at hand, there's some accidental hidden kind of "multi-tasking" going on (my assumption based on further oberservations).

It is, see my offline reply: This is very likely the reason for causing the issue at hand, there&#039;s some accidental hidden kind of &quot;multi-tasking&quot; going on (my assumption based on further oberservations).
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft