Community Discussions and Support
How to get the Help file and can I export an address book from Pegasus

I've just moved to Win 11 on a new computer and installed PMail again, but don't seem to have a Help file - where do I find it?
Also, is it possible to export my address book to import i7 into Thunderbird?

I've just moved to Win 11 on a new computer and installed PMail again, but don't seem to have a Help file - where do I find it? Also, is it possible to export my address book to import i7 into Thunderbird?

I've just moved to Win 11 on a new computer and installed PMail again, but don't seem to have a Help file - where do I find it?

It is part of Pegasus Mail. What is happening when you try to access it?

Also, is it possible to export my address book to import i7 into Thunderbird?

The address book export options are in the Addressbook pulldown menu which is only available when the address books window is open.

[quote="pid:54954, uid:7178"]I've just moved to Win 11 on a new computer and installed PMail again, but don't seem to have a Help file - where do I find it?[/quote] It is part of Pegasus Mail. What is happening when you try to access it? [quote="pid:54954, uid:7178"] Also, is it possible to export my address book to import i7 into Thunderbird?[/quote] The address book export options are in the Addressbook pulldown menu which is only available when the address books window is open.

Help File - nothing happens whatever I click on in the drop down from Help on the toolbar

If I open an address book and open the menu, there is nothing about export - it doesn't look much diferent from the options when the Address book is not open

Help File - nothing happens whatever I click on in the drop down from Help on the toolbar If I open an address book and open the menu, there is nothing about export - it doesn't look much diferent from the options when the Address book is not open

If I open an address book and open the menu, there is nothing about export - it doesn't look much diferent from the options when the Address book is not open

63d9383dec540

[quote="pid:54956, uid:7178"]If I open an address book and open the menu, there is nothing about export - it doesn't look much diferent from the options when the Address book is not open[/quote] ![63d9383dec540](serve/attachment&path=63d9383dec540)
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Help File - nothing happens whatever I click on in the drop down from Help on the toolbar

The Help program is a separate program from Pegasus Mail. Perhaps it is opening up minimized or offscreen. If that is the case it will be visible as a taskbar item.

A command line that will execute it independently from Pegasus Mail is (assuming a default installation):
C:\Pmail\Programs\showhelp.exe winpm-32.phc

Closing all other programs first may help make it visible in the taskbar. I have heard that the Win11 taskbar behavior is different from Win10 but only in placement of items so I believe it should still be visible. When started using the commandline it will also be listed in Task Manager as process "PMHelp Help System Commandline Display...".

[quote="pid:54956, uid:7178"]Help File - nothing happens whatever I click on in the drop down from Help on the toolbar[/quote] The Help program is a separate program from Pegasus Mail. Perhaps it is opening up minimized or offscreen. If that is the case it will be visible as a taskbar item. A command line that will execute it independently from Pegasus Mail is (assuming a default installation): C:\Pmail\Programs\showhelp.exe winpm-32.phc Closing all other programs first may help make it visible in the taskbar. I have heard that the Win11 taskbar behavior is different from Win10 but only in placement of items so I believe it should still be visible. When started using the commandline it will also be listed in Task Manager as process "PMHelp Help System Commandline Display...".
edited Jan 31 '23 at 4:43 pm

Hi Michael, Haven't worked out how to reply separately to different posts. Thanks for the screenshot - I was loking at the Addresses dropdown box! Sorry, Brian! My excuse is I've had a lot of problems to cope with recently with Win 11 and resetting everything!

Either of you any ideas what I can do about Help? If I remember right, somewhere on here is help regarding all of the settings?

Hi Michael, Haven't worked out how to reply separately to different posts. Thanks for the screenshot - I was loking at the Addresses dropdown box! Sorry, Brian! My excuse is I've had a lot of problems to cope with recently with Win 11 and resetting everything! Either of you any ideas what I can do about Help? If I remember right, somewhere on here is help regarding all of the settings?

Hi Brian,

No sign of the Help thing anywhere. I normally have PMail on my D drive. I've reinstalled PMail over the one I was using and it said it was "updating" - no help. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it on the default C drive and lost all my settings, but still no difference. Now I REALLY need it to reset PMail, as I know that, every time, I pick a wrong option!

Hi Brian, No sign of the Help thing anywhere. I normally have PMail on my D drive. I've reinstalled PMail over the one I was using and it said it was "updating" - no help. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it on the default C drive and lost all my settings, but still no difference. Now I REALLY need it to reset PMail, as I know that, every time, I pick a wrong option!

Tom,

• What version of Pegasus Mail are you working with?
  • Did you try invoking Help using showhelp.exe? I provided a command line but you a drag and drop of winpm-32.phc onto showhelp.exe should also work.
  • Do you have a backup of the installation that was on D: before you uninstalled it?
  • The manual contains most of the same information as the help file. It is in the Pegasus Mail programs directory as manual.pdf.

Michael, do you know whether an uninstall deletes the mailbox directory(ies)?

Tom, - What version of Pegasus Mail are you working with? - Did you try invoking Help using showhelp.exe? I provided a command line but you a drag and drop of winpm-32.phc onto showhelp.exe should also work. - Do you have a backup of the installation that was on D: before you uninstalled it? - The manual contains most of the same information as the help file. It is in the Pegasus Mail programs directory as manual.pdf. Michael, do you know whether an uninstall deletes the mailbox directory(ies)?

Michael, do you know whether an uninstall deletes the mailbox directory(ies)?

I don't think so, but I can't tell for sure.

[quote="pid:54971, uid:28772"]Michael, do you know whether an uninstall deletes the mailbox directory(ies)?[/quote] I don't think so, but I can't tell for sure.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Hi Brian

v 4.80.1028

I tried the command line before, using D instead of C and now using C and nothing happened. When i say I used it, I copied it into Windows Terminal (Admin) and ran it - was this right?.

I've just dragged and dropped as you describe (never knew you could do this) and I get the Help file.

I will have a backup among the many I've been making recently, but no idea what date to look for.

The manual opens fine.

Now a new problem. If I try to run PMail, it asks for my User Name and I've no idea what that is and cant remember ever using one - it's not the sme as the one for this site apparently

Hi Brian v 4.80.1028 I tried the command line before, using D instead of C and now using C and nothing happened. When i say I used it, I copied it into Windows Terminal (Admin) and ran it - was this right?. I've just dragged and dropped as you describe (never knew you could do this) and I get the Help file. I will have a backup among the many I've been making recently, but no idea what date to look for. The manual opens fine. Now a new problem. If I try to run PMail, it asks for my User Name and I've no idea what that is and cant remember ever using one - it's not the sme as the one for this site apparently

Hmm. Found I’d posted twice, so deleted the second one and think I may have deleted a reply from an “idw”.

If you edit, does it keep both? My edit to the post above was “Is it safe to reinstall over my present setup to get rid of this message”?

Hmm. Found I’d posted twice, so deleted the second one and think I may have deleted a reply from an “idw”. If you edit, does it keep both? My edit to the post above was “Is it safe to reinstall over my present setup to get rid of this message”?
edited Feb 1 '23 at 3:46 pm

Hmm. Found I’d posted twice, so deleted the second one and think I may have deleted a reply from an “idw”.

Nothing's wrong and you only deleted your own post.

If you edit, does it keep both?

Nope, only the edited one, at least that's what I encounter if editing.

“Is it safe to reinstall over my present setup to get rid of this message”
Now this is confusing: The second part (... to get rid of this message) wasn't in your now deleted post.

But anyway: Please wait for Brian's instructions for getting the user name issue solved, he knows very well how to guide you through this.

[quote="pid:54979, uid:7178"]Hmm. Found I’d posted twice, so deleted the second one and think I may have deleted a reply from an “idw”.[/quote] Nothing's wrong and you only deleted your own post. [quote="pid:54979, uid:7178"]If you edit, does it keep both?[/quote] Nope, only the edited one, at least that's what I encounter if editing. [quote="pid:54979, uid:7178"]“Is it safe to reinstall over my present setup to get rid of this message”[/quote]Now this is confusing: The second part (... to get rid of this message) wasn't in your now deleted post. But anyway: Please wait for Brian's instructions for getting the user name issue solved, he knows very well how to guide you through this.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Feb 1 '23 at 3:59 pm

I tried the command line before, using D instead of C and now using C and nothing happened. When i say I used it, I copied it into Windows Terminal (Admin) and ran it - was this right?.

Pasting the command line in Terminal won't work. Open a Run window (Win+R) and paste it there. Using the command line in a desktop shortcut will work as well.

I've just dragged and dropped as you describe (never knew you could do this) and I get the Help file.

This reinforces my first thought that when it is called from within Pegasus Mail it is opening minimized or somewhere offscreen.

Now a new problem. If I try to run PMail, it asks for my User Name and I've no idea what that is and cant remember ever using one - it's not the sme as the one for this site apparently

In a previous post you said that following the installation on C: that you lost all of you settings. This makes sense but also indicates that you were able to start Pegasus Mail. Prompting for a user should not happen out of the blue. Since you never got this installation functioning I would consider whether you want to look at D: to see what is left of your previous installation. If the \MAIL directory still exists then installation back to D: is a consideration.
If you want to totally bail on D: then and stick with C: them delete C:\Pmail and install again (assuming you installed to C:\Pmail). Select the 'preconfigure a mailbox' installation option which should give you a multi-user installation with a default user of Admin and mailbox directory of C:\Pmail\Mail\Admin.

[quote="pid:54976, uid:7178"]I tried the command line before, using D instead of C and now using C and nothing happened. When i say I used it, I copied it into Windows Terminal (Admin) and ran it - was this right?.[/quote] Pasting the command line in Terminal won't work. Open a Run window (Win+R) and paste it there. Using the command line in a desktop shortcut will work as well. [quote="pid:54977, uid:7178"]I've just dragged and dropped as you describe (never knew you could do this) and I get the Help file.[/quote] This reinforces my first thought that when it is called from within Pegasus Mail it is opening minimized or somewhere offscreen. [quote="pid:54977, uid:7178"]Now a new problem. If I try to run PMail, it asks for my User Name and I've no idea what that is and cant remember ever using one - it's not the sme as the one for this site apparently[/quote] In a previous post you said that following the installation on C: that you lost all of you settings. This makes sense but also indicates that you were able to start Pegasus Mail. Prompting for a user should not happen out of the blue. Since you never got this installation functioning I would consider whether you want to look at D: to see what is left of your previous installation. If the \MAIL directory still exists then installation back to D: is a consideration. If you want to totally bail on D: then and stick with C: them delete C:\Pmail and install again (assuming you installed to C:\Pmail). Select the 'preconfigure a mailbox' installation option which should give you a multi-user installation with a default user of Admin and mailbox directory of C:\Pmail\Mail\Admin.

Never thought of Run. Thanks. I'll give it a go.

I think I can explain the User Prompt. I went looking for the phc file and found it in C:/Pmail/Programmes, then found I had a copy of PMail/Mail on the C drive as well as the D drive - don't ask me how! Then I had the "bright" idea of copyting the C Mail folder to my D Mail folder (I like to keep as much stuff on D as I have less to reinstall if the C drive goes T~~~s up). I only copied over files that weren't present already on D, but this seems to have caused the probllem. If i now reinstall over my present installation, putting everything except Mail on C, might this sort it?

I'm learning a lot thanks to the help here

I don't know if you realise. but you two, Brian and Michael, have been helping me since 2009!

Only posting once this time! I may have got bored waiting for the post to load and hit post again!

Never thought of Run. Thanks. I'll give it a go. I think I can explain the User Prompt. I went looking for the phc file and found it in C:/Pmail/Programmes, then found I had a copy of PMail/Mail on the C drive as well as the D drive - don't ask me how! Then I had the "bright" idea of copyting the C Mail folder to my D Mail folder (I like to keep as much stuff on D as I have less to reinstall if the C drive goes T~~~s up). I only copied over files that weren't present already on D, but this seems to have caused the probllem. If i now reinstall over my present installation, putting everything except Mail on C, might this sort it? I'm learning a lot thanks to the help here I don't know if you realise. but you two, Brian and Michael, have been helping me since 2009! Only posting once this time! I may have got bored waiting for the post to load and hit post again!

If i now reinstall over my present installation, putting everything except Mail on C, might this sort it?

No. The problems are in the configuration files which a reinstall won't touch.

If you want Pegasus Mail on D: then you should leave it there. There is no compelling reason for it to be on C: provided you know that when us support folks say C:\Pmail... you know that it is D:\Pmail... for you.

I am confused about where to go from here. You said that you uninstalled the D: installation but now say you copied \Mail from C: to D:. Are you running the installation that is on C: or the one on D: when you get the prompt for username?

[quote="pid:54982, uid:7178"]If i now reinstall over my present installation, putting everything except Mail on C, might this sort it?[/quote] No. The problems are in the configuration files which a reinstall won't touch. If you want Pegasus Mail on D: then you should leave it there. There is no compelling reason for it to be on C: provided you know that when us support folks say C:\Pmail... you know that it is D:\Pmail\... for you. I am confused about where to go from here. You said that you uninstalled the D: installation but now say you copied \Mail from C: to D:. Are you running the installation that is on C: or the one on D: when you get the prompt for username?

I'm also getting confused now! I first installed everything on the D drive, then found I hadn't a Help file. I then reinstalled on the D drive in case somethign had gone wrong and it said it was Updating (no idea why) and installed. Still couldnt find Help, then you suggested the command line which I ran with D instead of C, then with C, but I wasn't running it in Run, so it never showed up. So I then uninstalled and installed to the default drive C, but changed the mailbox location to D:/Pmail/Mail. Today, I was trying to track down the phc file etc and found it on the C drive, then realised I had a Mail folder on both the C and D drives ( I assume it installed everything to the C drive before I changed the Mail folder location to D/Pmail). I then copied the C drive Mail folder contents to the D drive Mail folder, not copying the items it said were already there. Then couldn't open PMail.

What will happen if I uninstall PMail from the present place on the C drive and re install on the D drive?

I'm also getting confused now! I first installed everything on the D drive, then found I hadn't a Help file. I then reinstalled on the D drive in case somethign had gone wrong and it said it was Updating (no idea why) and installed. Still couldnt find Help, then you suggested the command line which I ran with D instead of C, then with C, but I wasn't running it in Run, so it never showed up. So I then uninstalled and installed to the default drive C, but changed the mailbox location to D:/Pmail/Mail. Today, I was trying to track down the phc file etc and found it on the C drive, then realised I had a Mail folder on both the C and D drives ( I assume it installed everything to the C drive before I changed the Mail folder location to D/Pmail). I then copied the C drive Mail folder contents to the D drive Mail folder, not copying the items it said were already there. Then couldn't open PMail. What will happen if I uninstall PMail from the present place on the C drive and re install on the D drive?

What will happen if I uninstall PMail from the present place on the C drive and re install on the D drive?

Likely nothing. My unanswered question is whether you are receiving the prompt for a user name when you try to start the Pegasus Mail that is on C: or the one that is on D:.

If the one on D:, do you have the following directories on D: now?
D:\Pmail\Programs
D:\Pmail\Mail
D:\Pmail\Mail\Admin

If no, let us know what you see.

If yes, look in D:\Pmail\Mail. There should only be an \Admin directory and one file named PMAIL.USR. Any additional directories should only exist if you have additional Pegasus Mail users. They should be recognizable as such. The existence of any additional files will require special consideration.

I am getting ready to head out to a birthday celebration (not mine) so will be unavailable for a few hours.

[quote="pid:54986, uid:7178"]What will happen if I uninstall PMail from the present place on the C drive and re install on the D drive?[/quote] Likely nothing. My unanswered question is whether you are receiving the prompt for a user name when you try to start the Pegasus Mail that is on C: or the one that is on D:. If the one on D:, do you have the following directories on D: now? D:\Pmail\Programs D:\Pmail\Mail D:\Pmail\Mail\Admin If no, let us know what you see. If yes, look in D:\Pmail\Mail. There should only be an \Admin directory and one file named PMAIL.USR. Any additional directories should only exist if you have additional Pegasus Mail users. They should be recognizable as such. The existence of any additional files will require special consideration. I am getting ready to head out to a birthday celebration (not mine) so will be unavailable for a few hours.
edited Feb 1 '23 at 8:57 pm

As I said in my last post, everything except the Mail folder is on the C drive; the Mail folder is on the D drive

As I said in my last post, everything except the Mail folder is on the C drive; the Mail folder is on the D drive

Think I’ll just check what mail files I have in my D:/Pmail/Mail folder against a backup to see what should and shouldn’t be there, delete the ones that shouldn’t be and take a copy of the ones that should, then uninstall the programme and install again, if need be copying back the mail that should be there

Think I’ll just check what mail files I have in my D:/Pmail/Mail folder against a backup to see what should and shouldn’t be there, delete the ones that shouldn’t be and take a copy of the ones that should, then uninstall the programme and install again, if need be copying back the mail that should be there

That worked and I’m back in business. There were about 40 extra files in the Mail folder. Thanks for everything I’ve learned during this process

That worked and I’m back in business. There were about 40 extra files in the Mail folder. Thanks for everything I’ve learned during this process
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft