Community Discussions and Support
How to get the Help file and can I export an address book from Pegasus

Hah! Everthing works except Help! The only part doing anythhing is Visit...

Everything is on the D drive. Dropping the phc file on the starthelp one works. Is there a command somewhere to change to direct Help to D instead of C?

Hah! Everthing works except Help! The only part doing anythhing is Visit... Everything is on the D drive. Dropping the phc file on the starthelp one works. Is there a command somewhere to change to direct Help to D instead of C?

Everything is on the D drive. Dropping the phc file on the starthelp one works. Is there a command somewhere to change to direct Help to D instead of C?

The showhelp executable is in the \Pmail\Programs directory. As I understand it, that is on C: for you. There is no a way to tell Pegasus Mail to look somewhere else for it.

If you wanted the help files on D: you could copy showhelp.exe and winpm-23.phc to a directory on D: and then invoke with a command line.

FWIW, the only problems I am aware of regarding Help have had to do with its window either being so small that was hidden or being offscreen which is normally caused be the use of a second screen at some point. I don't have a solution for it not starting up (eg: not in the taskbar or in Task Manager (it will be a sub-item of the "Pegasus Mail for Windows (32 bit)" entry in the Apps section of the Processes tab).

[quote="pid:54994, uid:7178"]Everything is on the D drive. Dropping the phc file on the starthelp one works. Is there a command somewhere to change to direct Help to D instead of C?[/quote] The showhelp executable is in the \Pmail\Programs directory. As I understand it, that is on C: for you. There is no a way to tell Pegasus Mail to look somewhere else for it. If you wanted the help files on D: you could copy showhelp.exe and winpm-23.phc to a directory on D: and then invoke with a command line. FWIW, the only problems I am aware of regarding Help have had to do with its window either being so small that was hidden or being offscreen which is normally caused be the use of a second screen at some point. I don't have a solution for it not starting up (eg: not in the taskbar or in Task Manager (it will be a sub-item of the "Pegasus Mail for Windows (32 bit)" entry in the Apps section of the Processes tab).

No, EVERYTHING is on the D drive, as I said in the part you have in the first quote above

I'm pretty sure I've had the same problem maybe 20 years ago, but can't remember how to get round it

No, EVERYTHING is on the D drive, as I said in the part you have in the first quote above I'm pretty sure I've had the same problem maybe 20 years ago, but can't remember how to get round it

As I said in my last post, everything except the Mail folder is on the C drive; the Mail folder is on the D drive

This was few posts back. I am so freaking confused that I no longer know how to try help. To bring clarity...

What is the command line (shortcut) that you use to start Pegasus Mail?

In Pegasus Mail, the Help > About Pegasus Mail... option should still work. If it does, click the Info button and copy/paste the following entries into a reply:

WINPMAIL.EXE directory:
Home mailbox location:
New mailbox location:

[quote="pid:54991, uid:7178"]As I said in my last post, everything except the Mail folder is on the C drive; the Mail folder is on the D drive[/quote] This was few posts back. I am so freaking confused that I no longer know how to try help. To bring clarity... What is the command line (shortcut) that you use to start Pegasus Mail? In Pegasus Mail, the Help > About Pegasus Mail... option should still work. If it does, click the Info button and copy/paste the following entries into a reply: WINPMAIL.EXE directory: Home mailbox location: New mailbox location:

I'm pretty sure I've had the same problem maybe 20 years ago, but can't remember how to get round it

At that time there was a different help system implemented which was based on the Windows system help implementation so it didn't matter where the respective help content files were located.

AFAIK there's only one place for the current Pegasus Mail Help system to work, which is the same directory as the one hosting WINPM-32.EXE. In older versions its path was (assuming C: as its root drive) C:\PMAIL. Some years ago this directory was changed to the one Brian mentioned above, i.e. C:\PMAIL\Programs. But nevertheless: Which ever WINPM-32.exe is located in would be the proper place for both showhelp.exe and winpm-23.phc, it's not in any kind user dependent.

[quote="pid:54999, uid:7178"]I'm pretty sure I've had the same problem maybe 20 years ago, but can't remember how to get round it[/quote] At that time there was a different help system implemented which was based on the Windows system help implementation so it didn't matter where the respective help content files were located. AFAIK there's only one place for the current Pegasus Mail Help system to work, which is the same directory as the one hosting WINPM-32.EXE. In older versions its path was (assuming C: as its root drive) C:\PMAIL. Some years ago this directory was changed to the one Brian mentioned above, i.e. C:\PMAIL\Programs. But nevertheless: Which ever WINPM-32.exe is located in would be the proper place for both showhelp.exe and winpm-23.phc, it's not in any kind user dependent.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Feb 2 '23 at 5:52 pm

Brian, It was the post you replied to, with a quotation. To say it for the third time, EVERYTHING is on the D drive.

I’ve no idea what you mean by the command line. I click on the Pegasus icon and it launches, albeit very slowly

after going to Pegasus Help/About, I have nothing, but, then on clicking on Info, I have… pause as I work out how to get it from my PC to my IPad…..

It says this:
Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows
Copyright (C) 1992-2022, David Harris, all rights reserved
Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz.

WinPMail version: Version 4.80.1028, Jan 16 2022, build ID 1028
Language resources: Standard UK English resources (EN,0,LL)
Extension Manager version: 1.14
Operating mode: Standalone
User name and ID: Single-user mode, 0
Windows version: 6.2
Windows flag word: 0
WINPMAIL.EXE directory: D:\PMAIL\Programs
Home mailbox location: D:\PMAIL\MAIL
New mailbox location: D:\PMAIL\MAIL
TMP environment variable: C:\Users\tomba\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\tomba\AppData\Local\Temp
LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N
NetWare MHS support: N, N, N
Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled

• WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0
  • WINSOCK path: WSOCK32.DLLCommandline: -roam -AActive -Z options: 32768PMR variable: (None)PML variable: (None)MAI variable: (None)NB variable: (None)Autofiltering folders: 0 (0 active, 0 inactive)Last new mail count: 0Message size soft limit: 0 bytesMessage size hard limit: 0 bytesAttachment size soft limit: 0 bytesAttachment size hard limit: 0 bytes

Brian, It was the post you replied to, with a quotation. To say it for the third time, EVERYTHING is on the D drive. I’ve no idea what you mean by the command line. I click on the Pegasus icon and it launches, albeit very slowly after going to Pegasus Help/About, I have nothing, but, then on clicking on Info, I have… pause as I work out how to get it from my PC to my IPad….. It says this: Pegasus Mail for Microsoft Windows Copyright (C) 1992-2022, David Harris, all rights reserved Electronic mail to support@pmail.gen.nz. WinPMail version: Version 4.80.1028, Jan 16 2022, build ID 1028 Language resources: Standard UK English resources (EN,0,LL) Extension Manager version: 1.14 Operating mode: Standalone User name and ID: Single-user mode, 0 Windows version: 6.2 Windows flag word: 0 WINPMAIL.EXE directory: D:\PMAIL\Programs Home mailbox location: D:\PMAIL\MAIL New mailbox location: D:\PMAIL\MAIL TMP environment variable: C:\Users\tomba\AppData\Local\Temp TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\tomba\AppData\Local\Temp LAN-based SMTP support: N, N, N NetWare MHS support: N, N, N Built-in TCP/IP support: Enabled - WINSOCK version: WinSock 2.0 - WINSOCK path: WSOCK32.DLL Commandline: -roam -A Active -Z options: 32768 PMR variable: (None) PML variable: (None) MAI variable: (None) NB variable: (None) Autofiltering folders: 0 (0 active, 0 inactive) Last new mail count: 0 Message size soft limit: 0 bytes Message size hard limit: 0 bytes Attachment size soft limit: 0 bytes Attachment size hard limit: 0 bytes

Michael, EVERYTHING is on the D Drive. If no one can understand that after I’ve said it twice, now three times, I’m wasting my time and will just have to accept I’ll not be using the Help file unless I piss around with command lines.

Michael, EVERYTHING is on the D Drive. If no one can understand that after I’ve said it twice, now three times, I’m wasting my time and will just have to accept I’ll not be using the Help file unless I piss around with command lines.

Tom, the content of the Info screen has clarified your installation.

I have mentioned "Task Manager" a number of times but now suspect that you may not know what it is and how to access it. Without it I don't know how to identify whether Help is failing to start or is starting but running in the background. Would a step-by-step guide on how to access Task Manager and what to look for be helpful?

I'm not ready to give up if you aren't.

Tom, the content of the Info screen has clarified your installation. I have mentioned "Task Manager" a number of times but now suspect that you may not know what it is and how to access it. Without it I don't know how to identify whether Help is failing to start or is starting but running in the background. Would a step-by-step guide on how to access Task Manager and what to look for be helpful? I'm not ready to give up if you aren't.

Michael, EVERYTHING is on the D Drive.

Yes, I know, you may replace C: with whatever letter is appropriate for your system, for other people it might even be a network drive, I'm just using C: as the most common sample case, that's all.

So now again for your convenience: If your WINPM-32.EXE is in D:\PMAIL\Programs then your showhelp.exe and winpm-23.phc should be in D:\PMAIL\Programs as well for Pegasus Mail to find and launch them. Please continue following Brian's recommendations now.

[quote="pid:55006, uid:7178"]Michael, EVERYTHING is on the D Drive.[/quote] Yes, I know, you may replace C: with whatever letter is appropriate for your system, for other people it might even be a network drive, I'm just using C: as the most common sample case, that's all. So now again for your convenience: If your WINPM-32.EXE is in D:\PMAIL\Programs then your showhelp.exe and winpm-23.phc should be in D:\PMAIL\Programs as well for Pegasus Mail to find and launch them. Please continue following Brian's recommendations now.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Feb 2 '23 at 10:06 pm

So now again for your convenience: If your WINPM-32.EXE is in D:\PMAIL\Programs then your showhelp.exe and winpm>
They all ARE together on the D rive - that's what I've been saying for the last 3 posts

```` I have mentioned "Task Manager" a number of times but now suspect that you may not know what it is and how to access it. Without it I don't know how to identify whether Help is failing to start or is starting but running in the background. Would a step-by-step guide on how to access Task Manager and what to look for be helpful?>

See screenshot63dca8cfe9c52

````

> ```` So now again for your convenience: If your WINPM-32.EXE is in D:\PMAIL\Programs then your showhelp.exe and winpm ````> They all ARE together on the D rive - that's what I've been saying for the last 3 posts ```` I have mentioned "Task Manager" a number of times but now suspect that you may not know what it is and how to access it. Without it I don't know how to identify whether Help is failing to start or is starting but running in the background. Would a step-by-step guide on how to access Task Manager and what to look for be helpful?> See screenshot![63dca8cfe9c52](serve/attachment&path=63dca8cfe9c52) ````

I’ve just discovered that, if I click on a Help option, then go down to the Pegasus icon on the Toolbar and put the cursor on it, a blank grey pop up for Pegasus Help system appears, but doesn’t seem to do anything - if I click on it, it disappears
63dcacca27720

I’ve just discovered that, if I click on a Help option, then go down to the Pegasus icon on the Toolbar and put the cursor on it, a blank grey pop up for Pegasus Help system appears, but doesn’t seem to do anything - if I click on it, it disappears ![63dcacca27720](serve/attachment&path=63dcacca27720)

No idea what the Task View button is on the Toolbar, but it gives this

No idea what the Task View button is on the Toolbar, but it gives this [63dcba5ae22ff](serve/attachment&path=63dcba5ae22ff)

You have confirmed that the Help system is running. In your Task View, notice those buttons at the bottom of that small Pegasus Mail He... window.
The "X" will shut it down.
The box in the center will maximize it.
I don't know what the button on the left will do but I would try it first.

You have confirmed that the Help system is running. In your Task View, notice those buttons at the bottom of that small Pegasus Mail He... window. The "X" will shut it down. The box in the center will maximize it. I don't know what the button on the left will do but I would try it first.

I must come over as a right idiot if you think I would get that far and not try the buttons - they alll close it down. Occasionally the centre opens the normal Pegasus mail window

Task Manager had already confirmed that it's running, but where is it?

I must come over as a right idiot if you think I would get that far and not try the buttons - they alll close it down. Occasionally the centre opens the normal Pegasus mail window Task Manager had already confirmed that it's running, but where is it?

Task Manager had already confirmed that it's running, but where is it?

Don't know. Pegasus Mail is doing its job invoking it.

It is a separate process so Windows has control of its window size and location. The only thing I can suggest is to right click on a blank area of the Windows taskbar and then select Cascade windows to see if it then appears on screen. Might want to close all other programs first. I am not certain that the Cascade windows option exists in Windows 11.

[quote="pid:55023, uid:7178"]Task Manager had already confirmed that it's running, but where is it?[/quote] Don't know. Pegasus Mail is doing its job invoking it. It is a separate process so Windows has control of its window size and location. The only thing I can suggest is to right click on a blank area of the Windows taskbar and then select Cascade windows to see if it then appears on screen. Might want to close all other programs first. I am not certain that the Cascade windows option exists in Windows 11.

Wherever I click, Taskbar or main screen, there is no Cascade windows. Seems it will remain a mystery

Wherever I click, Taskbar or main screen, there is no Cascade windows. Seems it will remain a mystery

Wherever I click, Taskbar or main screen, there is no Cascade windows

You are doing a right-click, right?

One other thing to try is to get that little window back on screen using Taskview and then right-click on its title bar and if the window options appear, click Maximize.

[quote="pid:55042, uid:7178"]Wherever I click, Taskbar or main screen, there is no Cascade windows[/quote] You are doing a right-click, right? One other thing to try is to get that little window back on screen using Taskview and then right-click on its title bar and if the window options appear, click Maximize.

Yes, but, to be sure, I left clicked as well.

Got the little PMail up and right clicked on title bar. The options are Snap left, Snap right, Show the window on all desktops (selected) and Show windows from this app on all desktops (selected). Snap left or right simply takes me back to my Desktop.

Yes, but, to be sure, I left clicked as well. Got the little PMail up and right clicked on title bar. The options are Snap left, Snap right, Show the window on all desktops (selected) and Show windows from this app on all desktops (selected). Snap left or right simply takes me back to my Desktop.

New discovery. In Win 11, you can Snap layouts, so I did this and one of the layouts showed Phonelink and the little PMail bar - when I click on maximise, it now gives the PMail Help menu! Bizarre! If I open PMail but don’t click on Help, I get Phonelink and normal PMail window in this layout.

New discovery. In Win 11, you can Snap layouts, so I did this and one of the layouts showed Phonelink and the little PMail bar - when I click on maximise, it now gives the PMail Help menu! Bizarre! If I open PMail but don’t click on Help, I get Phonelink and normal PMail window in this layout.

And now the Help file appears in PMail if I click Help! Bizarrer and bizarrer!

63e274e56ce4e

And now the Help file appears in PMail if I click Help! Bizarrer and bizarrer! ![63e274e56ce4e](serve/attachment&path=63e274e56ce4e)
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft