Community Discussions and Support
Username Required to Access Mailbox and Start Pegasus

Hiya,
I had trouble with Pegasus v4.73 starting as it hung on the "looking for mailbox" or similar part.
So I updated to Pegasus v4.81 and used pconfig32.exe to point to my mailbox location. It now asks me for my Pegasus Mail username and I haven't a clue what this would be.
Any help would be gratefully received!
Phyl

Hiya, I had trouble with Pegasus v4.73 starting as it hung on the "looking for mailbox" or similar part. So I updated to Pegasus v4.81 and used pconfig32.exe to point to my mailbox location. It now asks me for my Pegasus Mail username and I haven't a clue what this would be. Any help would be gratefully received! Phyl

Something went wrong with the pconfig32 process. Try it again. See if this helps:

In the Directory: field of pconfig32 enter the path to the root mailbox directory suffixed with ~N. Make sure the path is to the root mailbox directory and not to one of the mailbox directories. For example, in a default multi-user installation, the mailbox directories are in the directory path C:\PMAIL\MAIL so the entry would be "C:\PMAIL\MAIL~N" (no quotes).

Something went wrong with the pconfig32 process. Try it again. See if this helps: In the Directory: field of pconfig32 enter the path to the root mailbox directory suffixed with ~N. Make sure the path is to the root mailbox directory and not to one of the mailbox directories. For example, in a default multi-user installation, the mailbox directories are in the directory path C:\PMAIL\MAIL so the entry would be "C:\PMAIL\MAIL\~N" (no quotes).

Thanks for your help Brian.
I tried that, but unfortunately the "User Name Required" box still reappears.
I have also copied the PMAIL.USR file into the root mailbox directory, but that did not help either.

Thanks for your help Brian. I tried that, but unfortunately the "User Name Required" box still reappears. I have also copied the PMAIL.USR file into the root mailbox directory, but that did not help either.

We need to try to figure out the cause of the 4.73 problem. I have never seen any verbiage like "looking for mailbox". Normally, if Pegasus Mail can't find the mailbox directory it just flashes its startup screen and then fails to start. Regardless, the update to 4.81 should not touch any of the files involved.

• I am curious why you needed to copy PMAIL.USR into the root mailbox directory. It should have been touched.
  • Can you navigate to a mailbox directory with a file explorer? If so, can you open a .cnm file with a text editor?
  • Are the mailbox directories on a separate drive? If so, is it a local drive or is it a mapped to a network location?
  • Do you have a backup of 4.73 before the upgrade? If so, use a text editor to look in its PMAIL.CFG file and make note of the path in it. Be extremely careful not to make any changes. This is one the only configuration files that I know of that is not a plain text file so is easily corrupted. My thought is that the path here became unavailable which caused the initial problem.

We need to try to figure out the cause of the 4.73 problem. I have never seen any verbiage like "looking for mailbox". Normally, if Pegasus Mail can't find the mailbox directory it just flashes its startup screen and then fails to start. Regardless, the update to 4.81 should not touch any of the files involved. - I am curious why you needed to copy PMAIL.USR into the root mailbox directory. It should have been touched. - Can you navigate to a mailbox directory with a file explorer? If so, can you open a .cnm file with a text editor? - Are the mailbox directories on a separate drive? If so, is it a local drive or is it a mapped to a network location? - Do you have a backup of 4.73 before the upgrade? If so, use a text editor to look in its PMAIL.CFG file and make note of the path in it. Be extremely careful not to make any changes. This is one the only configuration files that I know of that is not a plain text file so is easily corrupted. My thought is that the path here became unavailable which caused the initial problem.

Note: error in earlier post about ~N for C:\PMAIL\Programs\PMAIL.CFG
The setting should be C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ ~N

Looks like if a backslash before the ~ disappeared? I had to use a double backslash to get it to show in the preview window.

That is with a multi-user setup.
The PMAIL.USR should have something like this in C:\PMAIL\MAIL\PMAIL.USR
A;Admin;Mail Administrator
U;Jack;Jack Hill
U;Jill;Jill Hill

For a single user setup the PMAIL.CFG might have
C:\PMAIL\MAIL
or
C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ ~N

Depending on version that original set it up.
If all folders and files are in C:\PMAIL\MAIL that is the older single user
And the C:\PMAIL\MAIL\PMAIL.USR will contain something link
A;Admin;Mail Administrator

So, run the PCONFIG32 to check what it contains.
Don't edit PMAIL.CFG with a regular editor since it has special NULL terminated fields.
You can use a hexeditor, but only if you really know what you are doing.. PCONFIG32 is best.

Note: error in earlier post about ~N for C:\PMAIL\Programs\PMAIL.CFG The setting should be C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ ~N Looks like if a backslash before the ~ disappeared? I had to use a double backslash to get it to show in the preview window. That is with a multi-user setup. The PMAIL.USR should have something like this in C:\PMAIL\MAIL\PMAIL.USR A;Admin;Mail Administrator U;Jack;Jack Hill U;Jill;Jill Hill For a single user setup the PMAIL.CFG might have C:\PMAIL\MAIL or C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ ~N Depending on version that original set it up. If all folders and files are in C:\PMAIL\MAIL that is the older single user And the C:\PMAIL\MAIL\PMAIL.USR will contain something link A;Admin;Mail Administrator So, run the PCONFIG32 to check what it contains. Don't edit PMAIL.CFG with a regular editor since it has special NULL terminated fields. You can use a hexeditor, but only if you really know what you are doing.. PCONFIG32 is best.

mikes@guam.net

Note: no space before ~ in above. For some reason, when tried to post like with two backslashes before ~ to get it to display, when I tried to post it said no post? So, copied info and redid reply??

Hopefully, the info gets thru?

Note: no space before ~ in above. For some reason, when tried to post like with two backslashes before ~ to get it to display, when I tried to post it said no post? So, copied info and redid reply?? Hopefully, the info gets thru?

mikes@guam.net

Hi Brian, thanks so much for helping out.
Years ago I moved the mailbox location from the very limited capacity SSD C drive to the HD E drive. I seem to remember not having a lot of difficulty with doing that. Which directory should PMAIL.USR be in?
Yes, I can open a .cnm file with wordpad or similar.
Yes, as I said above, the mailbox directories are on a different local drive.
Ive just carried out a re-install of windows and I thought that I had backed up just about everything of importance. But it turns out that I missed the Programs folder of pmail and just saved the Mail folder. C'est la vie.
Hi msetzerii, thanks for your help too.
I have tried with and without the backslash, I have A;Admin;Administrator in PMAIL.USR and the PMAIL.CFG has E:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN~N in it twice. As I asked Brian, which directory should PMAIL.USR be in - Mail or Programs?

Hi Brian, thanks so much for helping out. Years ago I moved the mailbox location from the very limited capacity SSD C drive to the HD E drive. I seem to remember not having a lot of difficulty with doing that. Which directory should PMAIL.USR be in? Yes, I can open a .cnm file with wordpad or similar. Yes, as I said above, the mailbox directories are on a different local drive. Ive just carried out a re-install of windows and I thought that I had backed up just about everything of importance. But it turns out that I missed the Programs folder of pmail and just saved the Mail folder. C'est la vie. Hi msetzerii, thanks for your help too. I have tried with and without the backslash, I have A;Admin;Administrator in PMAIL.USR and the PMAIL.CFG has E:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN\~N in it twice. As I asked Brian, which directory should PMAIL.USR be in - Mail or Programs?

the PMAIL.CFG has E:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN~N in it twice.

This is the problem, or at least one of them. Use pconfig32 to change it to E:\PMAIL\MAIL~N.
Edit: There should be a backslash between \MAIL and ~N.
The forum drops that backslash but it displays when you use two. E:\PMAIL\MAIL\~N
It must be something to do with the tilde that causes this.

Two appearances of the path in PMAIL.CFG is normal.

PMAIL.CFG will be in the \Programs directory.
PMAIL.USR will be in the root mailbox directory E:\PMAIL\MAIL.

[quote="pid:55040, uid:27832"]the PMAIL.CFG has E:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN~N in it twice.[/quote] This is the problem, or at least one of them. Use pconfig32 to change it to E:\PMAIL\MAIL\~N. Edit: There should be a backslash between \MAIL and ~N. The forum drops that backslash but it displays when you use two. E:\PMAIL\MAIL\\~N It must be something to do with the tilde that causes this. Two appearances of the path in PMAIL.CFG is normal. PMAIL.CFG will be in the \Programs directory. PMAIL.USR will be in the root mailbox directory E:\PMAIL\MAIL.
edited Feb 6 '23 at 11:03 pm

Hi Brian,
Ive tried all that but its still no good.
At the moment using my computer is like trudging through porridge. I think Im probably going to have to wipe it and do a complete reinstall of windows. After that Ill try installing Pegasus Mail from new.
Thanks for all your help.
Phyl

Hi Brian, Ive tried all that but its still no good. At the moment using my computer is like trudging through porridge. I think Im probably going to have to wipe it and do a complete reinstall of windows. After that Ill try installing Pegasus Mail from new. Thanks for all your help. Phyl

Sorry that we couldn't figure it out. I have an additional thought but if you are having problems with Windows then addressing that first is wise.

Sorry that we couldn't figure it out. I have an additional thought but if you are having problems with Windows then addressing that first is wise.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft