Community Discussions and Support
can't create proper usernames

Hello all,

I got a problem with usernames, either I understand this incorrect, or there is something wrong in Mercury 4.91. smile

According to the Help:

Username
The name the user will give to identify himself to Pegasus Mail or Mercury. By default, this is also the user's address. Usernames cannot contain spaces and must be less than 50 characters in length. Usernames should contain only the letters A…Z, the digits 0…9 and the special characters '.' (period) and '_' (underscore).

I am trying to create a username with a period like this

s.lastname

and Mercury is not accepting this, as by clicking the Add button nothing happens.
Using instead an underscore like

s_lastname

this is accepted.
Using just a name, is ok too.

Problem is, I have to setup a new mail system(Mercury) and have to keep the old email addresses.

Any ideas how to solve this ?

Thank you
Johannes

Hello all, I got a problem with usernames, either I understand this incorrect, or there is something wrong in Mercury 4.91. ;( ............ According to the Help: Username The name the user will give to identify himself to Pegasus Mail or Mercury. By default, this is also the user's address. Usernames cannot contain spaces and must be less than 50 characters in length. Usernames should contain only the letters A…Z, the digits 0…9 and the special characters '.' (period) and '_' (underscore). ............ I am trying to create a username with a period like this s.lastname and Mercury is not accepting this, as by clicking the Add button nothing happens. Using instead an underscore like s_lastname this is accepted. Using just a name, is ok too. Problem is, I have to setup a new mail system(Mercury) and have to keep the old email addresses. Any ideas how to solve this ? Thank you Johannes

This bug has apparently escaped unnoticed since at least version 4.7, so good job catching it. David is working on a new release to fix it.

This bug has apparently escaped unnoticed since at least version 4.7, so good job catching it. David is working on a new release to fix it.

ok, happy to be of help. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.
Would like to finalize in the second half of this year, 2023. smile

ok, happy to be of help. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. Would like to finalize in the second half of this year, 2023. ;)

For the case Mercury is not acting as official Internet MX Server for your domain but is acting as relay mail server, sending and retrieving mails to/from your ISP mailboxes and drop it into local mailboxes, you could still use the existing email addresses, but with new simplified user names. We do this for years without problems.
Therefore you only have to create a synonym.mer database file where email addresses are allocated to user names. Such a synonym database could look like following

jd == john.doe@domain.com
me == mike.example@domain.com
ct == carla.test@domain.com

So, for our internal mail traffic with Pegasus Mail you even could use the short user names as addresses for colleagues. But also the real address works.
Other programs like Thunderbird have to use the normal email addresses. The user doesn't notice anything of "the other short" user name. You only need this alternate user name for the first login to your Mercury Mailbox.

For the case Mercury is not acting as official Internet MX Server for your domain but is acting as relay mail server, sending and retrieving mails to/from your ISP mailboxes and drop it into local mailboxes, you could still use the existing email addresses, but with new simplified user names. We do this for years without problems. Therefore you only have to create a synonym.mer database file where email addresses are allocated to user names. Such a synonym database could look like following jd == john.doe@domain.com me == mike.example@domain.com ct == carla.test@domain.com So, for our internal mail traffic with Pegasus Mail you even could use the short user names as addresses for colleagues. But also the real address works. Other programs like Thunderbird have to use the normal email addresses. The user doesn't notice anything of "the other short" user name. You only need this alternate user name for the first login to your Mercury Mailbox.
edited Mar 13 '23 at 2:27 pm

Hello Joerg,

Mercury is acting as an official MX Server and has no Pegasus integration.
Was the synonym data base file not only for Pegasus integration? Or would that be possible too without? Any ideas?

I still hope that David will get a bug release quite soon.

Johannes

Hello Joerg, Mercury is acting as an official MX Server and has no Pegasus integration. Was the synonym data base file not only for Pegasus integration? Or would that be possible too without? Any ideas? I still hope that David will get a bug release quite soon. Johannes

With us it works fine also with Thunderbird and Roundcube, both connected via IMAP to Mercury. As said, finally the shorted user names are only needed for the very first login (instead of e-mail addresses). And in our case, any mail which Mercury is retrieving via POP3 from our ISP mailboxes have to be assigned and dropped to the corresponding local user mailbox which has this shortened user name, too.

With us it works fine also with Thunderbird and Roundcube, both connected via IMAP to Mercury. As said, finally the shorted user names are only needed for the very first login (instead of e-mail addresses). And in our case, any mail which Mercury is retrieving via POP3 from our ISP mailboxes have to be assigned and dropped to the corresponding local user mailbox which has this shortened user name, too.

Hello Joerg,

just tried the synonym way to bind email addresses like firstname.lastname to a username. Worked like a charme with fsynonym.exe.

The login to Roundcube and authentication for Mercury can be done with the synonym as well. Even the autocreation of email adress in roundcube, if set in the config, is done as it uses the login and added the configured domain.

Johannes

Hello Joerg, just tried the synonym way to bind email addresses like firstname.lastname to a username. Worked like a charme with fsynonym.exe. The login to Roundcube and authentication for Mercury can be done with the synonym as well. Even the autocreation of email adress in roundcube, if set in the config, is done as it uses the login and added the configured domain. Johannes

Sounds good Johannes.

In the end it could always a little bit annoying to adapt the synonym.mer in case you often have to add new users. At the moment I got 44 entries in mine and have to add another address binding today.

Sounds good Johannes. In the end it could always a little bit annoying to adapt the synonym.mer in case you often have to add new users. At the moment I got 44 entries in mine and have to add another address binding today.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft