Community Discussions and Support
from .pst to PM

Combining Outllook in the new institutional set-up with my use of PM is hopeless. There have been discussions here about moving mail to Outlook, but I have the opposite question. I'm trying to move true correspondence out of my institutional email, but some will, of course, still land there. I can export individual emails to .pst; is there a way to incorporate them into Pmail? (Forwarding them individually is possible, but it creates a new email from myself to myself)

Combining Outllook in the new institutional set-up with my use of PM is hopeless. There have been discussions here about moving mail to Outlook, but I have the opposite question. I'm trying to move true correspondence out of my institutional email, but some will, of course, still land there. I can export individual emails to .pst; is there a way to incorporate them into Pmail? (Forwarding them individually is possible, but it creates a new email from myself to myself)

This used to be easy. You could make an IMAP connection to the Outlook mailbox with Pegasus Mail and then copy the messages to a local Pegasus Mail folder. That was before the enforcement of OAUTH2 by Microsoft. Pegasus Mail can not do Microsoft OAUTH2. I understand that institutions can choose to allow connection by means other than OAUTH2 so checking to see what their IMAP connection credentialing requirements are may be worthwhile.

This used to be easy. You could make an IMAP connection to the Outlook mailbox with Pegasus Mail and then copy the messages to a local Pegasus Mail folder. That was before the enforcement of OAUTH2 by Microsoft. Pegasus Mail can not do Microsoft OAUTH2. I understand that institutions can choose to allow connection by means other than OAUTH2 so checking to see what their IMAP connection credentialing requirements are may be worthwhile.

The implementation of the Outlook system here as made it inaccessible from any route that does not go through the exchange(?) set-up. Bluemail does, but I don't see how that would help me move the mail into PM. So the question is about individual emails, which can be exported as .pst files. Can the .pst file be converted or imported?

The implementation of the Outlook system here as made it inaccessible from any route that does not go through the exchange(?) set-up. Bluemail does, but I don't see how that would help me move the mail into PM. So the question is about individual emails, which can be exported as .pst files. Can the .pst file be converted or imported?

Here's what actually was available in 2012, the Wayback machine even has it listed but you can't get it anymore according to Martin's most recent list which you can get via this post which only contains these tools:

Bearhtml 4.9    Bearhtml viewer
BearSupport BearSupport files
FolderREP 1.6 PM folder reports
MapiPM 1.8 Outlook email interface
Pmadrcsv 1.5 PM addr book export
Pmical 3.2 ICALENDAR Event display
PmVcard 1.2 Display business cards
Virscan 5.2 PM Virus checker
IEFBR14 Disable Virscan for MS Virus checking
Virprot 2.0 Mercury virus checker
SendDoc1 2.1 OpenOffice and LibreOffice support (2 part)
SendDoc2 2.1 OpenOffice and LibreOffice interface
Rssmail RSS to Pegasus Mail

Sorry ...

[Here's](https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/8056/former-outlook-user-looking-for-a-way-to-convert-my-pst-file-into-pegasus/post-35740#post-35740) what actually was available in 2012, the [Wayback machine](https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www3.telus.net/public/irelam/*) even has it listed but you can't get it anymore according to Martin's most recent list which you can get via [this post](https://community.pmail.com/index.php?u=/topic/11684/send-list-of-extensions-by-martin-ireland) which only contains these tools: ```` Bearhtml 4.9 Bearhtml viewer BearSupport BearSupport files FolderREP 1.6 PM folder reports MapiPM 1.8 Outlook email interface Pmadrcsv 1.5 PM addr book export Pmical 3.2 ICALENDAR Event display PmVcard 1.2 Display business cards Virscan 5.2 PM Virus checker IEFBR14 Disable Virscan for MS Virus checking Virprot 2.0 Mercury virus checker SendDoc1 2.1 OpenOffice and LibreOffice support (2 part) SendDoc2 2.1 OpenOffice and LibreOffice interface Rssmail RSS to Pegasus Mail ```` Sorry ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Mar 12 '23 at 6:52 am

The implementation of the Outlook system here as made it inaccessible from any route that does not go through the exchange(?) set-up.

This is normal. IMAP connections to exchange servers by email clients is also normal unless you are in a high security environment in which connections are restricted. If Bluemail connects then the only thing that should prevent Pegasus Mail from connecting is an OAUTH2 requirement.

Can the .pst file be converted or imported?

Not that I know of.

Setting Outlook to forward all mail should work for all future messages but I don't know of a way to get existing messages into Pegasus Mail if IMAP is not an option.

[quote="pid:55143, uid:28451"]The implementation of the Outlook system here as made it inaccessible from any route that does not go through the exchange(?) set-up.[/quote] This is normal. IMAP connections to exchange servers by email clients is also normal unless you are in a high security environment in which connections are restricted. If Bluemail connects then the only thing that should prevent Pegasus Mail from connecting is an OAUTH2 requirement. [quote="pid:55143, uid:28451"]Can the .pst file be converted or imported?[/quote] Not that I know of. Setting Outlook to forward all mail should work for all future messages but I don't know of a way to get existing messages into Pegasus Mail if IMAP is not an option.

IIRC Pegasus Mail can deal with MBOX file type folders, and if still so here's a page pointing to solutions orginally figured out by Thunderbird users: convert pst to mbox and import mbox to thunderbird. There's a commercial page out there of a company selling converters called "pcvare" (for obvious reasons I don't link to it here) which provides screen shots suggesting to just place MBOX files into your mailbox file directory (such as C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN) for making Pegasus Mail see them (search for "thunderbird to pegasus" ).

IIRC Pegasus Mail can deal with MBOX file type folders, and if still so here's a page pointing to solutions orginally figured out by Thunderbird users: [convert pst to mbox and import mbox to thunderbird](https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1187647). There's a commercial page out there of a company selling converters called "pcvare" (for obvious reasons I don't link to it here) which provides screen shots suggesting to just place MBOX files into your mailbox file directory (such as C:\PMAIL\MAIL\ADMIN) for making Pegasus Mail see them (search for "thunderbird to pegasus" ).
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Mar 12 '23 at 4:58 pm

IIRC Pegasus Mail can deal with MBOX file type folders

Ok, did the test with Thunderbird, IOW: If you can export Outlook folders to Thunderbird-compatible MBX files you only need to copy these files into Pegasus Mail's home mailbox directory (see PM's main menu Help > About > Info button > Info screen for the path) where its own folder files are stored and restart it. After doing so your PM mailbox tree should show them as folders named after their filenames including the extension: My test result was Posteingang.mbx, so it didn't even mind the non-8.3 format.

PS: It's recommended to convert it (i.e. move its contents) to a Pegasus Mail folder for faster access and enhanced data integrity.

[quote="pid:55146, uid:2133"]IIRC Pegasus Mail can deal with MBOX file type folders[/quote] Ok, did the test with Thunderbird, IOW: If you can export Outlook folders to Thunderbird-compatible MBX files you only need to copy these files into Pegasus Mail's home mailbox directory (see PM's main menu _Help > About > Info button > Info screen_ for the path) where its own folder files are stored and restart it. After doing so your PM mailbox tree should show them as folders named after their filenames including the extension: My test result was _Posteingang.mbx_, so it didn't even mind the non-8.3 format. PS: It's recommended to convert it (i.e. move its contents) to a Pegasus Mail folder for faster access and enhanced data integrity.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Mar 12 '23 at 11:49 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft