Community Discussions and Support
Too Many SEARCHc records

I have been negligent in keeping my SEARCH criteria for the FOLDERS window cleared down. I now have approximately 50 (fifty) in the "Recent Search Results" folder. Deleting them is a tedious process. Is there a fast way to clear all the SEARCH records in one fell swoop?

David T-C.

I have been negligent in keeping my SEARCH criteria for the FOLDERS window cleared down. I now have approximately 50 (fifty) in the "Recent Search Results" folder. Deleting them is a tedious process. Is there a fast way to clear all the SEARCH records in one fell swoop? David T-C.

When I close my whole Pmail program and then open it again all the contents of the "Recent Search Results" folder is empty. Just tested it to make sure!

Couldn't remember how! So I explored and found:
Tools>Options>Incoming mail>Folder behaviours>Default behaviour ... and I see that 'Default setting for Search Result folders is 'Delete on exit'' is ticked!

Thanks for getting me to remember how it works!

When I close my whole Pmail program and then open it again all the contents of the "Recent Search Results" folder is empty. Just tested it to make sure! Couldn't remember how! So I explored and found: Tools>Options>Incoming mail>Folder behaviours>Default behaviour ... and I see that 'Default setting for Search Result folders is 'Delete on exit'' is ticked! Thanks for getting me to remember how it works!

Christopher Whitmey WinPMail version: Version 4.80.1028, Jan 16 2022, build ID 1028 Windows 11 Home Browser Firefox latest

I don't know of a clean way to do it easily. The search results folder are link folders so can be identified in the mailbox directory as LNK?????.PNL files but deleting them with a file explorer will leave orphaned "Name_unavailable" entries in HIERARCH.PM. I think it would be best to delete them one at a time from within Pegasus Mail.

I don't know of a clean way to do it easily. The search results folder are link folders so can be identified in the mailbox directory as LNK?????.PNL files but deleting them with a file explorer will leave orphaned "Name_unavailable" entries in HIERARCH.PM. I think it would be best to delete them one at a time from within Pegasus Mail.

Couldn't remember how! So I explored and found:
Tools>Options>Incoming mail>Folder behaviours>Default behaviour ... and I see that 'Default setting for Search Result folders is 'Delete on exit'' is ticked!

Worthy of note here is that ticking this option will not result in the deletion of any that exist, it will only delete one created going forward.

[quote="pid:55195, uid:31762"]Couldn't remember how! So I explored and found: Tools>Options>Incoming mail>Folder behaviours>Default behaviour ... and I see that 'Default setting for Search Result folders is 'Delete on exit'' is ticked![/quote] Worthy of note here is that ticking this option will not result in the deletion of any that exist, it will only delete one created going forward.

Thanks, Brian. I've just tried 'search' > untick> close Pmail> open Pmail = still there. Delete search folder (i.e. found folder) > tick option > closed Pmail. I see what you mean - one lives and learns.

Thanks, Brian. I've just tried 'search' > untick> close Pmail> open Pmail = still there. Delete search folder (i.e. found folder) > tick option > closed Pmail. I see what you mean - one lives and learns.

Christopher Whitmey WinPMail version: Version 4.80.1028, Jan 16 2022, build ID 1028 Windows 11 Home Browser Firefox latest

Just for info looked at this a little.
Could manually delete the LNK*.PNL files, but that would then require some other cleanup.
HIERARCH.PM would have links that would need to be removed.
Also, STATE.PMJ has links as well.

In my current state only have 1 search.
HIERARCH.PM has
1,1,"3A8E1356:Recent search re","024B349:My mailbox","Recent search results",1,20
0,0,"fa971a213c9f40298c81bdaec8615956","3A8E1356:Recent search re","Pegasus (23 Mar 23 2:55)"

and STATE.PMJ has
8db5be2f5aabc53ac496d2f65b6129d7=10,10,510,360,"147,209,122,256,50,0"
fa971a213c9f40298c81bdaec8615956=10,10,510,360,"0,0,0,256,0,0"

So, in my case would require deleting those lines and deleting LNK01C33.PNL

STATE.PMJ might clean itself with an open and the close of Pegasus.
HIERARCH.PM would get the name_unavailable with open after deleting files.

I have script that cleans those out on Linux, but similar could be done on windows.
#!/usr/bin/bash
grep -v Name_Unavailable <HIERARCH.PM >HIERARCH.PMz
cp HIERARCH.PMz HIERARCH.PM

I generally don't have more than 3 searches so deleting isn't an issue.
Good Luck.

Just for info looked at this a little. Could manually delete the LNK*.PNL files, but that would then require some other cleanup. HIERARCH.PM would have links that would need to be removed. Also, STATE.PMJ has links as well. In my current state only have 1 search. HIERARCH.PM has 1,1,&quot;3A8E1356:Recent search re&quot;,&quot;024B349:My mailbox&quot;,&quot;Recent search results&quot;,1,20 0,0,&quot;fa971a213c9f40298c81bdaec8615956&quot;,&quot;3A8E1356:Recent search re&quot;,&quot;Pegasus (23 Mar 23 2:55)&quot; and STATE.PMJ has 8db5be2f5aabc53ac496d2f65b6129d7=10,10,510,360,&quot;147,209,122,256,50,0&quot; fa971a213c9f40298c81bdaec8615956=10,10,510,360,&quot;0,0,0,256,0,0&quot; So, in my case would require deleting those lines and deleting LNK01C33.PNL STATE.PMJ might clean itself with an open and the close of Pegasus. HIERARCH.PM would get the name_unavailable with open after deleting files. I have script that cleans those out on Linux, but similar could be done on windows. \#!/usr/bin/bash grep -v Name_Unavailable &lt;HIERARCH.PM &gt;HIERARCH.PMz cp HIERARCH.PMz HIERARCH.PM I generally don&#039;t have more than 3 searches so deleting isn&#039;t an issue. Good Luck.

mikes@guam.net

Thanks Brian,

I had a feeling that you might reply to this, and I was afraid that that might  be the answer.  That'll teach me to work more tidily!
Thanks Brian, I had a feeling that you might reply to this, and I was afraid that that might be the answer. That&#039;ll teach me to work more tidily!

Thanks Brian,

I had a feeling that you might reply to this, and I was afraid that that might  be the answer.  That'll teach me to work more tidily!
Thanks Brian, I had a feeling that you might reply to this, and I was afraid that that might be the answer. That&#039;ll teach me to work more tidily!
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft