Community Discussions and Support
An old deleted email keeps reappearing in inbox upon opening PMAIL

Every time I open PMAIL a single email from Jan 2023 that I deleted keeps appearing in the inbox, with the old date. I delete, it returns, I spam it and then delete, and it returns, I find the actual msg file and manually delete, and it returns.

Any idea how to find the source of why this is happening?

Every time I open PMAIL a single email from Jan 2023 that I deleted keeps appearing in the inbox, with the old date. I delete, it returns, I spam it and then delete, and it returns, I find the actual msg file and manually delete, and it returns. Any idea how to find the source of why this is happening?

If you are using POP3 then I suspect the message is being downloaded over and over. You may need to delete it or move it to a different folder on the host server using its web interface.

I don't have an explanation into why this is happening.

If you are using POP3 then I suspect the message is being downloaded over and over. You may need to delete it or move it to a different folder on the host server using its web interface. I don't have an explanation into why this is happening.

Thanks. When I log on directly to host server the email in question does not show.

Thanks. When I log on directly to host server the email in question does not show.

If it helps, here are the properties of the email in question.

6426ab20db3e8

If it helps, here are the properties of the email in question. ![6426ab20db3e8](serve/attachment&path=6426ab20db3e8)

If you delete the msg file (.CNM file) then I don't see how it can show up in the new mail folder again without being downloaded again.

Have you compared the filename (in message properties) between appearances? It will change if being re-downloaded. It won't change if something is preventing the message file from being deleted.

If you delete the msg file (.CNM file) then I don't see how it can show up in the new mail folder again without being downloaded again. Have you compared the filename (in message properties) between appearances? It will change if being re-downloaded. It won't change if something is preventing the message file from being deleted.

Thanks. Yes, in every instance I've checked the CNM filename is the same.

I did do one thing last night when I logged on directly to the host server, I turned on the setting to compress inbox upon exit.

The email has not appeared again since. Will advise.

Best,
Sam

Thanks. Yes, in every instance I've checked the CNM filename is the same. I did do one thing last night when I logged on directly to the host server, I turned on the setting to compress inbox upon exit. The email has not appeared again since. Will advise. Best, Sam

OK. Email returned as soon as I opened up my PMAIL app. I checked online via web before opening the desktop app and the email was NOT on the host. So it is something related to the client. The CNM is the same as seen in the photo here of today's instance.

6427c6db76af5

OK. Email returned as soon as I opened up my PMAIL app. I checked online via web before opening the desktop app and the email was NOT on the host. So it is something related to the client. The CNM is the same as seen in the photo here of today's instance. ![6427c6db76af5](serve/attachment&path=6427c6db76af5)

Would suggest deleting the message file again.
Then go to Tools / Internet Options / General
and check the box to recreate internet log.

Then download pop3 messages.
Exit Pegasus and go to the TCPLogs folder in mail directory.
This should show the full TCP Log for the pop connection, and would identify if it is actually downloading the message from the POP3 server or if it is being created by something else??

Usually the POP3 setup is to download emails, an deleted after successful download. So either is some error in log that prevents it from being downloaded, or an error in the server via the web interface that isn't showing it. The contents of subject line seems strange, so perhap that i it.

Not sure if it contains any information.

I don't have a message like this, but I have an email I keep getting to subscribe to a list. Says to just ignore, and it will be removed, but it keeps coming. Just created a filter rule to delete them.

Check From and have R-MDS-GG changeme@changeme.com as contains text and Action is Delete. So, still get emails, but they are deleted.

If it is being sent thru ISP pop3, might have to have them look and see if they can delete it.

Would suggest deleting the message file again. Then go to Tools / Internet Options / General and check the box to recreate internet log. Then download pop3 messages. Exit Pegasus and go to the TCPLogs folder in mail directory. This should show the full TCP Log for the pop connection, and would identify if it is actually downloading the message from the POP3 server or if it is being created by something else?? Usually the POP3 setup is to download emails, an deleted after successful download. So either is some error in log that prevents it from being downloaded, or an error in the server via the web interface that isn't showing it. The contents of subject line seems strange, so perhap that i it. Not sure if it contains any information. I don't have a message like this, but I have an email I keep getting to subscribe to a list. Says to just ignore, and it will be removed, but it keeps coming. Just created a filter rule to delete them. Check From and have R-MDS-GG <changeme@changeme.com> as contains text and Action is Delete. So, still get emails, but they are deleted. If it is being sent thru ISP pop3, might have to have them look and see if they can delete it.

mikes@guam.net

My thinking is that if it was being repeatedly downloaded it would have a different filename (.CNM) each time. That said, the only circumstance I can think of where deleting the message file with a file explorer could result in the message file reappearing in the New mail folder is if there is some sort of third part synchronization going on. I think this would affect more than a single message though.

I gave some thought to whether a filter associated with the "Deleted messages" folder could cause the reappearing message issue but a filter that results in a message being placed into the New mail folder also results in a .CNM filename that is different from the original.

I am at a loss.

My thinking is that if it was being repeatedly downloaded it would have a different filename (.CNM) each time. That said, the only circumstance I can think of where deleting the message file with a file explorer could result in the message file reappearing in the New mail folder is if there is some sort of third part synchronization going on. I think this would affect more than a single message though. I gave some thought to whether a filter associated with the "Deleted messages" folder could cause the reappearing message issue but a filter that results in a message being placed into the New mail folder also results in a .CNM filename that is different from the original. I am at a loss.

Thanks all. I've activated the TCPLogs and am waiting for the email to reappear to see if the log sheds any light.

Thanks all. I've activated the TCPLogs and am waiting for the email to reappear to see if the log sheds any light.

I wrote 2 mins too early. Email came back to inbox. TCPLogs all normal.

I had delayed the polling of the incoming mail and I noticed the email returned immediately upon opening the application before it polled for new emails.

This is clearly not coming from the host, but something on the laptop.

After I deleted the email again, I searched MAIL folder for the CNM to see if it appears anywhere and it does not.

Best,
Sam

P.S. The subject is Arabic and reads fine.

64289faf3236d

I wrote 2 mins too early. Email came back to inbox. TCPLogs all normal. I had delayed the polling of the incoming mail and I noticed the email returned immediately upon opening the application before it polled for new emails. This is clearly not coming from the host, but something on the laptop. After I deleted the email again, I searched MAIL folder for the CNM to see if it appears anywhere and it does not. Best, Sam P.S. The subject is Arabic and reads fine. ![64289faf3236d](serve/attachment&path=64289faf3236d)
edited Apr 1 '23 at 10:23 pm

I just upgraded to w32-481-pb3 to see if it acts differently on this issue.

I just upgraded to w32-481-pb3 to see if it acts differently on this issue.

UPDATE: New beta version (w32-481-pb3) acts the same way. The mysterious email keeps reappearing.

UPDATE: New beta version (w32-481-pb3) acts the same way. The mysterious email keeps reappearing.

I didn't expect an upgrade to resolve the issue. I sure seems that something on your laptop is doing some sort of syncing with that file.

What happens if you move that message to a different folder in Pegasus Mail?

Do you have your Home and New mailboxes in different directories (this should not make any difference; just grasping at straws)?

I didn't expect an upgrade to resolve the issue. I sure seems that something on your laptop is doing some sort of syncing with that file. What happens if you move that message to a different folder in Pegasus Mail? Do you have your Home and New mailboxes in different directories (this should not make any difference; just grasping at straws)?

Since I assume that the TCPLogs showed that the message isn't being downloaded again from the ISP. That it must be recreated somehow locally?
Would try a few things first.

1. Would look in the /users/username/TEMP directory and see if some version of file might exist there?Perhaps someone knows details on process. Pegasus downloads files from ISP, and end result is the CNM files, but perhaps something got left in some state after the conversion to CNM that left this temp version remains?
  2. What antivirus are you using? Know thru history sometimes antivirus programs have grabbed files that Pegasus is processing and causes issues.
  3. I generally clear out my users/username/TEMP directory from time to time. It generally only contains Pegasus created files on my system since PMAIL and IRFanviewer are only windows programs I run. Generally hst* files and some image files with various extensions.
  4. It is strange that it is creating the file with same name each time, since usually the names are created with names using 2 random(somewhat) 4 character sets. Would be interesting to rename file to some like *.XXX and then when it is recreated to see if a binary comparison of files is exactly the same, and it the data and time stamp is exactly the same.
  5. Looking at the raw CNM file is it a simple text message, html, base64 or some other formatted message.

Like others just thinking of ways to isolate where it is come from. Don't see any command line option that might give some kind of debugging log.

If TCPLOG doesn't show any info, might want to look for dupes of files. Linux has a dupes program that can look for duplicate files in paths regardless of names.

Will be interesting if this is ever fully solved??

Since I assume that the TCPLogs showed that the message isn't being downloaded again from the ISP. That it must be recreated somehow locally? Would try a few things first. 1. Would look in the /users/username/TEMP directory and see if some version of file might exist there? Perhaps someone knows details on process. Pegasus downloads files from ISP, and end result is the CNM files, but perhaps something got left in some state after the conversion to CNM that left this temp version remains? 2. What antivirus are you using? Know thru history sometimes antivirus programs have grabbed files that Pegasus is processing and causes issues. 3. I generally clear out my users/username/TEMP directory from time to time. It generally only contains Pegasus created files on my system since PMAIL and IRFanviewer are only windows programs I run. Generally hst* files and some image files with various extensions. 4. It is strange that it is creating the file with same name each time, since usually the names are created with names using 2 random(somewhat) 4 character sets. Would be interesting to rename file to some like *.XXX and then when it is recreated to see if a binary comparison of files is exactly the same, and it the data and time stamp is exactly the same. 5. Looking at the raw CNM file is it a simple text message, html, base64 or some other formatted message. Like others just thinking of ways to isolate where it is come from. Don't see any command line option that might give some kind of debugging log. If TCPLOG doesn't show any info, might want to look for dupes of files. Linux has a dupes program that can look for duplicate files in paths regardless of names. Will be interesting if this is ever fully solved??

mikes@guam.net

Thanks Brain and msetzerii!!

Did all you both proposed. Same. Then Brain's comment about syncing made me look in that direction. I have two syncing apps installed, OneDrive and Google Drive
(Version: 72.0.3.0).

I found this on Google Drive which I assume is the issue, although I can't figure out why it would be trying to download a deleted file. I'll keep at it, but I now have a thread to work with.

Again, thanks to you both. If I get a better understanding of what's happening I'll report back.

642c7f26f1323

Best,
Sam

Thanks Brain and msetzerii!! Did all you both proposed. Same. Then Brain's comment about syncing made me look in that direction. I have two syncing apps installed, OneDrive and Google Drive (Version: 72.0.3.0). I found this on Google Drive which I assume is the issue, although I can't figure out why it would be trying to download a deleted file. I'll keep at it, but I now have a thread to work with. Again, thanks to you both. If I get a better understanding of what's happening I'll report back. ![642c7f26f1323](serve/attachment&path=642c7f26f1323) Best, Sam

Seems like the issue is resolved. Of course, PMAIL works perfectly, as it always does.

I found the CNM file in the online Google Drive trash folder. I removed (deleted) it from there. Error msg in the Google Drive app disappeared and the old email msg has not yet reappeared.

Again, thanks all!

Seems like the issue is resolved. Of course, PMAIL works perfectly, as it always does. I found the CNM file in the online Google Drive trash folder. I removed (deleted) it from there. Error msg in the Google Drive app disappeared and the old email msg has not yet reappeared. Again, thanks all!
edited Apr 5 '23 at 9:41 am
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft