Community Discussions and Support
mercury is messing up mail delivery with synonyms [Solved]

I just went live with my 4.91 install. Used synonyms in the past and it worked just fine, so did not test it in this version of Mercury before going live.

Now I am stuck, big time.
Situation:
user mailbox: iprost
synonym: Ingrid.Prost@xxx.yy
another mailbox: ingrid

Mail comes in as Ingrid.prost@xxx.yy
according to core window is delivered to Ingrid.Prost -OK

BUT
mail is delivered to mailbox ingrid instead to mailbox iprost

To top this, a second instance of this situation with a diferent email and synonym has the same problem and is delivering the mail into a wrong mailbox.

To make things worse, a second instance of Mercury at another location is suppose to pickup new mail at iprost to deliver at that location to local mailboxes.

Why is the mail not delivered to the corresponding mailbox of the synonym?
My synonym.mer is

ingrid.Prost@xxx.yy == iprost

and mail should be delivered to mailbox iprost and not some different mailbox ingrid

Anyone having such strange things?

I just went live with my 4.91 install. Used synonyms in the past and it worked just fine, so did not test it in this version of Mercury before going live. Now I am stuck, big time. Situation: user mailbox: iprost synonym: Ingrid.Prost@xxx.yy another mailbox: ingrid Mail comes in as Ingrid.prost@xxx.yy according to core window is delivered to Ingrid.Prost -OK BUT mail is delivered to mailbox ingrid instead to mailbox iprost To top this, a second instance of this situation with a diferent email and synonym has the same problem and is delivering the mail into a wrong mailbox. To make things worse, a second instance of Mercury at another location is suppose to pickup new mail at iprost to deliver at that location to local mailboxes. Why is the mail not delivered to the corresponding mailbox of the synonym? My synonym.mer is ingrid.Prost@xxx.yy == iprost and mail should be delivered to mailbox iprost and not some different mailbox ingrid Anyone having such strange things?
edited Apr 13 '23 at 4:51 am

Mercury applies these processes in this sequence:

• Filters
  • Aliases
  • Synonyms

Is there a filter or an alias controlling where the message is delivered?

Also confirm that your synonym.mer file was created from a .txt file using fsynonym.exe.

Mercury applies these processes in this sequence: - Filters - Aliases - Synonyms Is there a filter or an alias controlling where the message is delivered? Also confirm that your synonym.mer file was created from a .txt file using fsynonym.exe.

thank you Brian for the "working order" info.
Unfortunately there is no alias fitting this email synonym pair.

The synonym.mer is created using fsynonym.exe with a .txt file containing
ingrid.prost@xx.yy == iprost

And under Configuration > Core > Advanced "Automatically recognize "Firstname.Lastname" address recognized

Just did a test again, same result. Will reduce my username base and test again.

thank you Brian for the "working order" info. Unfortunately there is no alias fitting this email synonym pair. The synonym.mer is created using fsynonym.exe with a .txt file containing ingrid.prost@xx.yy == iprost And under Configuration > Core > Advanced "Automatically recognize "Firstname.Lastname" address recognized Just did a test again, same result. Will reduce my username base and test again.

ok, did remove most of the mailboxes and left just 2 synonym and one regular mailbox

Created a new synonym file with

firstname.lastname@domain2.ca = = username

Send a mail from the regular mailbox user@domain.ca (local domain) to firstname.lastname@domain2.ca (local domain) and got a session log back saying that fistname.lastname@domain2.ca is not known here

Are synonyms also not working in Mercury 4.91.349 23.Sept. 2022 ?
Or what do I miss?

ok, did remove most of the mailboxes and left just 2 synonym and one regular mailbox Created a new synonym file with firstname.lastname@domain2.ca = = username Send a mail from the regular mailbox user@domain.ca (local domain) to firstname.lastname@domain2.ca (local domain) and got a session log back saying that fistname.lastname@domain2.ca is not known here Are synonyms also not working in Mercury 4.91.349 23.Sept. 2022 ? Or what do I miss?

Is the path to the synonym.mer file correct in Mercury Core on the Files page?

Is the path to the synonym.mer file correct in Mercury Core on the Files page?

Good catch Brian!!

Will test tomorrow and already assuming it will work.

Thank you.

**Good catch Brian!!** Will test tomorrow and already assuming it will work. Thank you.

Didn't read your post earlier. Brian's hint would also be my next thought.
Synonyms is working fine with us since years and is dropping the mails always in the right local user mailbox although we got also lot of similar entries. Here a small extract from our synonym file:

voyagereporting-drevin@domain.com == dcsdrevin
voyagereporting-hinsch@domain.com == dcshinsch
voyagereporting-hts@domain.com == dcshts
voyagereporting-klingenberg@domain.com == dcsklingenberg
voyagereporting-mc@domain.com == dcsmc
voyagereporting-sibum@domain.com == dcssibum
voyagereporting-stl@domain.com == dcsstl
voyagereporting-rass@domain.com == dcsrass
ihm-becker@domain.com == ihmbeck
ihm-draxl@domain.com == ihmdraxl
ihm-hirdes@domain.com == ihmhirde
ihm-jebsen@domain.com == ihmjebse
ihm-klingenberg@domain.com == ihmkling
ihm-kontor17@domain.com == ihmkon17
ihm-scandlines@domain.com == ihmscand
ihm-sibum@domain.com == ihmsibum
ihm-vega@domain.com == ihmvega
ihm-zeppenfeld@domain.com == ihmzeppe

The Mercury Core setting "recognize firstname.lastname" (or similar opportunities) are deactivated.

Didn't read your post earlier. Brian's hint would also be my next thought. Synonyms is working fine with us since years and is dropping the mails always in the right local user mailbox although we got also lot of similar entries. Here a small extract from our synonym file: voyagereporting-drevin@domain.com == dcsdrevin voyagereporting-hinsch@domain.com == dcshinsch voyagereporting-hts@domain.com == dcshts voyagereporting-klingenberg@domain.com == dcsklingenberg voyagereporting-mc@domain.com == dcsmc voyagereporting-sibum@domain.com == dcssibum voyagereporting-stl@domain.com == dcsstl voyagereporting-rass@domain.com == dcsrass ihm-becker@domain.com == ihmbeck ihm-draxl@domain.com == ihmdraxl ihm-hirdes@domain.com == ihmhirde ihm-jebsen@domain.com == ihmjebse ihm-klingenberg@domain.com == ihmkling ihm-kontor17@domain.com == ihmkon17 ihm-scandlines@domain.com == ihmscand ihm-sibum@domain.com == ihmsibum ihm-vega@domain.com == ihmvega ihm-zeppenfeld@domain.com == ihmzeppe The Mercury Core setting "recognize firstname.lastname" (or similar opportunities) are deactivated.
edited Apr 11 '23 at 3:09 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know, my test went positive.
But I am encountering another strange problem. More in a new post.

Just wanted to let you guys know, my test went positive. But I am encountering another strange problem. More in a new post.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft