Community Discussions and Support
Updated from 4.71 to 4.8 and I'm struggling

Hello, I've been a pmail user for years, I'm not a programer so I'll try to describe my problem as best I can:

I've always accepted pmail as a text based email client but it's becoming harder to use because many mail messages now have embedded HTML content. Sometimes I can save the message as .HTML and Firefox will open and render it although in the past I've tried linking to the firefox .exe and pmail doesn't seem to always want to go there?. I've noticed many messages being sent now seem to be intended for mobile devices when I use a PC. I've coped with these inconveniences and saw v4.8 had been released with HTML rendering changes so I updated from 4.71.

Now my problems seem to have worsened. Consistently when receiving Ebays 'We got your order' confirmation and airline booking confirmations full of html code and links to their promotions.

Before, I saw code in messsage view and could work out main message content in Raw View. Now on 4.8 I see a blank message screen and if I try to do anything, I get the Windows 7_64 message: Win PM-32 Floating Point division by zero error. There's no Windows event app crash error logged, but that doesn't inspire me as a stable situation.

For now I'm reverting back to 4.7 because even though it doesn't render HTML content the apps don't give error messages.

Hello, I've been a pmail user for years, I'm not a programer so I'll try to describe my problem as best I can: I've always accepted pmail as a text based email client but it's becoming harder to use because many mail messages now have embedded HTML content. Sometimes I can save the message as .HTML and Firefox will open and render it although in the past I've tried linking to the firefox .exe and pmail doesn't seem to always want to go there?. I've noticed many messages being sent now seem to be intended for mobile devices when I use a PC. I've coped with these inconveniences and saw v4.8 had been released with HTML rendering changes so I updated from 4.71. Now my problems seem to have worsened. Consistently when receiving Ebays 'We got your order' confirmation and airline booking confirmations full of html code and links to their promotions. Before, I saw code in messsage view and could work out main message content in Raw View. Now on 4.8 I see a blank message screen and if I try to do anything, I get the Windows 7_64 message: Win PM-32 Floating Point division by zero error. There's no Windows event app crash error logged, but that doesn't inspire me as a stable situation. For now I'm reverting back to 4.7 because even though it doesn't render HTML content the apps don't give error messages.

HTML rendering is performed by IERenderer. It has been updated numerous times since v4.80 has been released. This is the direct URL to download the latest version. Extract the .zip and the install IERenderer by running IERendererSetup.exe. Do this with Pegasus Mail closed.
https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/IERenderer.zip

First you will want to make sure that IERenderer is enabled. To do this, click on the right-most icon in the toolbar of the main Pegasus Mail window. It looks the the Pegasus flying horse superimposed with the Internet Explorer logo "e". Make sure the "Use IERenderer" option has a checkmark next to it. If it doesn't, click on it to enable it.

Once that is done, there are a number of Pegasus Mail configuration options to consider.

Do you want messages to load as plain text by default and then view the HTML version if needed, or do you want the HTML version to load by default?

Do you want remote graphics to load on demand, selectively based on a whitelist of approved senders, or always (always is risky when source is unknown)?

In case you don't know, there is a function in Pegasus Mail where, when viewing HTML message content, you can right click in the message reader window and then select Open message in web browser. This will automatically open the message in a browser making it a good option when a message doesn't display correctly in Pegasus Mail.

HTML rendering is performed by IERenderer. It has been updated numerous times since v4.80 has been released. This is the direct URL to download the latest version. Extract the .zip and the install IERenderer by running IERendererSetup.exe. Do this with Pegasus Mail closed. https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/IERenderer.zip First you will want to make sure that IERenderer is enabled. To do this, click on the right-most icon in the toolbar of the main Pegasus Mail window. It looks the the Pegasus flying horse superimposed with the Internet Explorer logo "e". Make sure the "Use IERenderer" option has a checkmark next to it. If it doesn't, click on it to enable it. Once that is done, there are a number of Pegasus Mail configuration options to consider. Do you want messages to load as plain text by default and then view the HTML version if needed, or do you want the HTML version to load by default? Do you want remote graphics to load on demand, selectively based on a whitelist of approved senders, or always (always is risky when source is unknown)? In case you don't know, there is a function in Pegasus Mail where, when viewing HTML message content, you can right click in the message reader window and then select Open message in web browser. This will automatically open the message in a browser making it a good option when a message doesn't display correctly in Pegasus Mail.

Thanks Brian, I'm on holiday for few days and will try that when I'm back and report. Remote graphics and remote links has always concerned me but I like the idea of white listing safe senders.

The world of mobile seems less concerned about what arrives on their mobile devices and most probably want HTML by default? I'm still security aware and prefer text to load by defaul, then view HTML. Although I'm finding companies like Amazon, Ebay and airlines send so much embedded graphics their automated messages they are impossible to read without HTML rendering.

It's common now for email messages to incorporate 'Unsubscribe' as a hyperlink which doesn't come out well viewed as text often covered or obscured with a blue bar. On most occasions on a text displayed message I have to go to raw view, find the URL and manually enter it in Firefox. I will follow up your renderer suggestions. Regards - vox

Thanks Brian, I'm on holiday for few days and will try that when I'm back and report. Remote graphics and remote links has always concerned me but I like the idea of white listing safe senders. The world of mobile seems less concerned about what arrives on their mobile devices and most probably want HTML by default? I'm still security aware and prefer text to load by defaul, then view HTML. Although I'm finding companies like Amazon, Ebay and airlines send so much embedded graphics their automated messages they are impossible to read without HTML rendering. It's common now for email messages to incorporate 'Unsubscribe' as a hyperlink which doesn't come out well viewed as text often covered or obscured with a blue bar. On most occasions on a text displayed message I have to go to raw view, find the URL and manually enter it in Firefox. I will follow up your renderer suggestions. Regards - vox

It sounds like you and I are cut from the same cloth. I also despise HTML, preferring plain text. Like you, I am seeing more and more HTML only email so will switch to the fancy view of messages when I must. I will not click links in email. I will right-click, copy, paste in a browser, and then inspect the pasted URL before hitting Enter. I did some 'allow remote graphics' whitelisting but I really didn't like viewing those messages in Pegasus Mail so I now open HTML messages in a browser most of the time.

BTW, there is a bug in v4.80 that causes the dictionary list of user saved words to be cleared each time the spell checker is invoked. If your list of user saved words is important to you, protect it by marking its file read-only. This will prevent it from being cleared. Its filename is USRDICT5.PMD, located in your mailbox directory. You will not be able to add words to it. This bug will be fixed in v4.81 at which time you will be able to remove the read-only attribute.

It sounds like you and I are cut from the same cloth. I also despise HTML, preferring plain text. Like you, I am seeing more and more HTML only email so will switch to the fancy view of messages when I must. I will not click links in email. I will right-click, copy, paste in a browser, and then inspect the pasted URL before hitting Enter. I did some 'allow remote graphics' whitelisting but I really didn't like viewing those messages in Pegasus Mail so I now open HTML messages in a browser most of the time. BTW, there is a bug in v4.80 that causes the dictionary list of user saved words to be cleared each time the spell checker is invoked. If your list of user saved words is important to you, protect it by marking its file read-only. This will prevent it from being cleared. Its filename is USRDICT5.PMD, located in your mailbox directory. You will not be able to add words to it. This bug will be fixed in v4.81 at which time you will be able to remove the read-only attribute.

Thanks. I don't think those few of us aware of HTML can stem the tide of its use in messaging. Even though I still use Win 7 which for me is now stable after all these years but I rely on 3rd party apps. for security and browsing. Both Firefox and Ghostery offer protection options for embedded hyperlinks and those which redirect to 'untrusted' sites. But like AV software, you rely on their updates, whereas messages in plain text form carry no risks.

I also look at link properties to see where they are going to. There are certain country domains we both understand which set red flag warnings for me. Android OS concerns me because I feel there's less control of security? I've tested some cheap Chinese Android tablets sold to kids with Wireshark, only to find their OS's have modified code which sends data back to the mothership. IMHO The best app for an Android device is an IP based firewall, but it has to be rooted. Thanks again - Vox

Thanks. I don't think those few of us aware of HTML can stem the tide of its use in messaging. Even though I still use Win 7 which for me is now stable after all these years but I rely on 3rd party apps. for security and browsing. Both Firefox and Ghostery offer protection options for embedded hyperlinks and those which redirect to 'untrusted' sites. But like AV software, you rely on their updates, whereas messages in plain text form carry no risks. I also look at link properties to see where they are going to. There are certain country domains we both understand which set red flag warnings for me. Android OS concerns me because I feel there's less control of security? I've tested some cheap Chinese Android tablets sold to kids with Wireshark, only to find their OS's have modified code which sends data back to the mothership. IMHO The best app for an Android device is an IP based firewall, but it has to be rooted. Thanks again - Vox
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft