Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus and WINE

First of all, I accidentally posted the following under the Mercury software discussion. If an admin see that, please delete it.

Hello: I have been a staunch user of Pegasus for so long I cannot remember my first use of it. I regard Pegasus as the very best e-mail client I have ever used. Also, many of the members of my family use it.

I heartily thank David Harris for building and supporting such a magnificent piece of software.

Now, my question to the group is how do I get Pegasus to run successfully under WINE in a FreeBSD environment?

But, for now, forget the FreeBSD part. If I can get it to run under WINE, I believe it will run under any Unix-like system.

I know that one must work-around IErenderer, and at this point I am unsure how to do that. I DO know that others have been successful at this, but I have been unable to learn how they did it.

I believe I have successfully installed WINE on my system, although I still need some tutoring on how to use it.

In any case, although everything associated with Pegasus and WINE "appears" to be correct, when I attempt to start Pegasus, the system "messes around" for several seconds (proved by a clock icon appearing), but then quietly just quits with nothing showing on the desktop.

What I am trying to do is to build a Unix-like system to replace all our Windoze installations. So far, I have accomplished some very good things, and it is looking like I will eventually have what I need. But this issue with Pegasus has been a BIG problem for me.

Anyone?

Ken Gordon

First of all, I accidentally posted the following under the Mercury software discussion. If an admin see that, please delete it. Hello: I have been a staunch user of Pegasus for so long I cannot remember my first use of it. I regard Pegasus as the very best e-mail client I have ever used. Also, many of the members of my family use it. I heartily thank David Harris for building and supporting such a magnificent piece of software. Now, my question to the group is how do I get Pegasus to run successfully under WINE in a FreeBSD environment? But, for now, forget the FreeBSD part. If I can get it to run under WINE, I believe it will run under any Unix-like system. I know that one must work-around IErenderer, and at this point I am unsure how to do that. I DO know that others have been successful at this, but I have been unable to learn how they did it. I believe I have successfully installed WINE on my system, although I still need some tutoring on how to use it. In any case, although everything associated with Pegasus and WINE "appears" to be correct, when I attempt to start Pegasus, the system "messes around" for several seconds (proved by a clock icon appearing), but then quietly just quits with nothing showing on the desktop. What I am trying to do is to build a Unix-like system to replace all our Windoze installations. So far, I have accomplished some very good things, and it is looking like I will eventually have what I need. But this issue with Pegasus has been a BIG problem for me. Anyone? Ken Gordon

A little long, but hopefully it helps.
I've used Pegasus with wine under Fedora for many years.
That is thru a number of versions, since they come out with a
new release ever 3 months.

Here are the current packages for wine I have installed.
Some might not be required.
I've also moved to using the winehq release since they seem
to update faster, and have resolved a few issues quickly.

rpm -qa | grep wine
wine-dxvk-dxgi-1.10.3-1.fc36.i686
wine-dxvk-dxgi-1.10.3-1.fc36.x86_64
wine-mono-7.4.0-1.fc36.noarch
wine-wingdings-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-filesystem-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-tahoma-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-times-new-roman-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-webdings-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-system-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-symbol-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-small-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-ms-sans-serif-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-marlett-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-fixedsys-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-courier-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-arial-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-times-new-roman-fonts-system-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-tahoma-fonts-system-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-wingdings-fonts-system-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-systemd-8.4-1.fc36.noarch
wine-devel64-8.5-1.1.x86_64
wine-devel-common-8.5-1.1.i686
winehq-devel-8.5-1.1.x86_64

To enable the WINEHQ it has instructions on site.

cat winehq.repo
[WineHQ]
name=WineHQ packages
type=rpm-md
baseurl=https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/fedora/36
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
enabled=1

Then I installed the devel version, but there is also stable.
https://www.winehq.org/

With winetricks I've installed this options
cat winetricks.log
corefonts
liberation
tahoma
andale
arial
comicsans
courier
georgia
impact
times
trebuchet
verdana
webdings
corefonts
liberation
win8
opensymbol
unifont

Under wine winecfg
I have it set to default to Windows 10
Under Graphics I set dpi to 144 to get better display with my screen size
but you might use different options. Default is 96 dpi.
Cosmetic - set desktop integration to light theme.
I didn't care for default dark theme...
Don't recall any other changes in that.

After installing Pegasus the IERender has been an issue.
Seems wine does have full support of the IE dlls, since
firefox and other browsers work fine. Seems IERender is
looking into moving to chromium/Edge support that might
eventually work under wine or not?

Right now, after installing Pegasus best option is to go to
PMAIL/Programs directory and run wine unins000.exe
That should uninstall the IERender completely

I use short cut with
env WINEDEBUG=fixme-all,err+all wine64 /home/msetzerii/.wine/drive_c/PMAIL/Programs/WINPM-32.EXE -A

Have it set to run in terminal, so it opens a terminal window so any back ground messages can be seen.
Can also just go to the directory with the WINPM-32.EXE and run wine WINPM-32.EXE.
Note: I tend to make files all upper case, since Linux is very case sensitive.

Don't know if the -A is needed, but it doesn't seem to hurt.
I have a Single user setup, so it automatically loads with my Identity.
If you have multiple Identities, you can add the -I username to automatically load them.
Otherwise it will prompt you to enter it.

I did setup on Ubuntu machines long ago, but don't have any at this time.
Know others are using other distros. Never did wine on netbsd.

Hope that helps or at least gives some info.

Last thing. I've generally found the latest TER32.DLL and HTS32.DLL do a better html resolution then the IERENDER and BEARHTML, so I also remove the bearhtml files. Only issue I found is that some AMAZON messages don't display with a little spacing issue, but think it is more of a poor html coding on Amazon's part. Have a fix for it. Has table in table in table. But running this script on CNM file or on my Amazon folder will fix it.

sed -i 's</b> <br /> </p>=20</b><br /></p></td>_g' $1

Well. Good Luck, and hope that helps.

A little long, but hopefully it helps. I&#039;ve used Pegasus with wine under Fedora for many years. That is thru a number of versions, since they come out with a new release ever 3 months. Here are the current packages for wine I have installed. Some might not be required. I&#039;ve also moved to using the winehq release since they seem to update faster, and have resolved a few issues quickly. rpm -qa | grep wine wine-dxvk-dxgi-1.10.3-1.fc36.i686 wine-dxvk-dxgi-1.10.3-1.fc36.x86_64 wine-mono-7.4.0-1.fc36.noarch wine-wingdings-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-filesystem-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-tahoma-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-times-new-roman-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-webdings-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-system-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-symbol-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-small-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-ms-sans-serif-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-marlett-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-fixedsys-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-courier-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-arial-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-fonts-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-times-new-roman-fonts-system-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-tahoma-fonts-system-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-wingdings-fonts-system-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-systemd-8.4-1.fc36.noarch wine-devel64-8.5-1.1.x86_64 wine-devel-common-8.5-1.1.i686 winehq-devel-8.5-1.1.x86_64 To enable the WINEHQ it has instructions on site. cat winehq.repo [WineHQ] name=WineHQ packages type=rpm-md baseurl=https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/fedora/36 gpgcheck=1 gpgkey=https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key enabled=1 Then I installed the devel version, but there is also stable. https://www.winehq.org/ With winetricks I&#039;ve installed this options cat winetricks.log corefonts liberation tahoma andale arial comicsans courier georgia impact times trebuchet verdana webdings corefonts liberation win8 opensymbol unifont Under wine winecfg I have it set to default to Windows 10 Under Graphics I set dpi to 144 to get better display with my screen size but you might use different options. Default is 96 dpi. Cosmetic - set desktop integration to light theme. I didn&#039;t care for default dark theme... Don&#039;t recall any other changes in that. After installing Pegasus the IERender has been an issue. Seems wine does have full support of the IE dlls, since firefox and other browsers work fine. Seems IERender is looking into moving to chromium/Edge support that might eventually work under wine or not? Right now, after installing Pegasus best option is to go to PMAIL/Programs directory and run wine unins000.exe That should uninstall the IERender completely I use short cut with env WINEDEBUG=fixme-all,err+all wine64 /home/msetzerii/.wine/drive_c/PMAIL/Programs/WINPM-32.EXE -A Have it set to run in terminal, so it opens a terminal window so any back ground messages can be seen. Can also just go to the directory with the WINPM-32.EXE and run wine WINPM-32.EXE. Note: I tend to make files all upper case, since Linux is very case sensitive. Don&#039;t know if the -A is needed, but it doesn&#039;t seem to hurt. I have a Single user setup, so it automatically loads with my Identity. If you have multiple Identities, you can add the -I username to automatically load them. Otherwise it will prompt you to enter it. I did setup on Ubuntu machines long ago, but don&#039;t have any at this time. Know others are using other distros. Never did wine on netbsd. Hope that helps or at least gives some info. Last thing. I&#039;ve generally found the latest TER32.DLL and HTS32.DLL do a better html resolution then the IERENDER and BEARHTML, so I also remove the bearhtml files. Only issue I found is that some AMAZON messages don&#039;t display with a little spacing issue, but think it is more of a poor html coding on Amazon&#039;s part. Have a fix for it. Has table in table in table. But running this script on CNM file or on my Amazon folder will fix it. sed -i &#039;s_&lt;/b&gt; &lt;br /&gt; &lt;/p&gt;=20_&lt;/b&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/td&gt;_g&#039; $1 Well. Good Luck, and hope that helps.

mikes@guam.net

Yes, it most certainly DOES help, and I thank you very much for it. I'll report here any progress I have made after this.

Ken Gordon

Yes, it most certainly DOES help, and I thank you very much for it. I&#039;ll report here any progress I have made after this. Ken Gordon
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft