Community Discussions and Support
Copies to self no longer working

I have been using pmail for 20+ years, and it has always faithfully recorded my sent mail. Two days ago it suddenly stopped doing so. I checked in the "messages and replies" setup, and the "copy to self" switch is still set to "On". I wondered whether it had stopped because the folder had grown too big, so went back and deleted a whole raft of old messages. Still doesn't work. What next? (And, warning, I am an old man, with simple computer skills.)

I have been using pmail for 20+ years, and it has always faithfully recorded my sent mail. Two days ago it suddenly stopped doing so. I checked in the "messages and replies" setup, and the "copy to self" switch is still set to "On". I wondered whether it had stopped because the folder had grown too big, so went back and deleted a whole raft of old messages. Still doesn't work. What next? (And, warning, I am an old man, with simple computer skills.)

There are a number of causes for copies to self to appear to stop working but in most cases, those messages are being placed in a different folder. So first you will need to determine whether that is what is happening by following these steps:

• Send yourself a new message with a single unique word in the subject (eg: 123abc456).
  • Note whether you are prompted for the folder to place the copyself in.
  • Check to see if the message is in the your specified copies to self folder.

If it is not there, do a search of the entire mailbox for the unique subject word. Here are instructions in case you are not familiar with the search function:

• In the folder list do a single click on "My mailbox".
  • Use the keystroke Ctrl+F to invoke the search function
  • Tick the "Single phrase" option
  • Tick the "Search in headers only" option
  • Select the "Search all folders in the selected mailbox" option in the "Folder(s) to search" options list.

If you find it, check that folder for other copyself messages. If that is where they are ending up then you either have a copy-self filtering rule or an Autofilter that is routing the copyself messages to that folder, or you have a duplicate copyself folder which has confused Pegasus Mail.

Note: My usage of the term "copyself folder" does not reference a folder named "copyself". It is a reference to whatever folder you have specified as the default copy-to-self folder. This is a configuration option located in Tools > Options > Outgoing mail > Copies to self.

There are a number of causes for copies to self to appear to stop working but in most cases, those messages are being placed in a different folder. So first you will need to determine whether that is what is happening by following these steps: - Send yourself a new message with a single unique word in the subject (eg: 123abc456). - Note whether you are prompted for the folder to place the copyself in. - Check to see if the message is in the your specified copies to self folder. If it is not there, do a search of the entire mailbox for the unique subject word. Here are instructions in case you are not familiar with the search function: - In the folder list do a single click on "My mailbox". - Use the keystroke Ctrl+F to invoke the search function - Tick the "Single phrase" option - Tick the "Search in headers only" option - Select the "Search all folders in the selected mailbox" option in the "Folder(s) to search" options list. If you find it, check that folder for other copyself messages. If that is where they are ending up then you either have a copy-self filtering rule or an Autofilter that is routing the copyself messages to that folder, or you have a duplicate copyself folder which has confused Pegasus Mail. Note: My usage of the term "copyself folder" does not reference a folder named "copyself". It is a reference to whatever folder you have specified as the default copy-to-self folder. This is a configuration option located in Tools > Options > Outgoing mail > Copies to self.

Bingo! I had set an auto-filtering rule for a particular sender, which had actually been functioning entirely appropriately for several weeks. Pmail, for its own reasons, had suddenly decided that it should put all sent mail in this folder, (despite the sent mail folder being correctly specified in the configuration). I simply removed the auto-filtering from the one sender, and pmail happily went back to putting sent mail where it belongs.

Thank you so much. And thank you personally also for your incredible faithful service in responding to malfunctions, over many many years, on a daily basis.

Bingo! I had set an auto-filtering rule for a particular sender, which had actually been functioning entirely appropriately for several weeks. Pmail, for its own reasons, had suddenly decided that it should put all sent mail in this folder, (despite the sent mail folder being correctly specified in the configuration). I simply removed the auto-filtering from the one sender, and pmail happily went back to putting sent mail where it belongs. Thank you so much. And thank you personally also for your incredible faithful service in responding to malfunctions, over many many years, on a daily basis.

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that you identified what was going on.

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that you identified what was going on.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft