Community Discussions and Support
What VPN E-Mail Provider works with Pegasus Mail?

Hello,

I have been a user of Pegasus since...(the dark ages, or rather when the InterNet was still free, and uncensored, unlike now). I had to stop using it, for some reason that I've long forgotten. It is a competent, well designed, functional e-mail program. It is a great program, thanks to David Harris. I'm surprised to learn that Herr Harris is still supporting Pegasus...thanks.

However, I've been using ProtonMail, their email client stinks. I've expended most of today trying to cause Pegasus to work with ProtonMail...but they don't support standard IMAP or SMTP, other than through something they name Proton Bridge, which only works with OutLook, and ThunderTurd and something else?

I haven't been able to cause Pegasus to work with ProtonMail. My end-goal is to be able to alia my email and send and receive via my non-profit .org domain name website, which in the past with a different email provider was extremely easy to do in Pegasus.

So here's the question, does anyone know of any VPN email provider that works with Pegasus Mail?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

GenaTron

Hello, I have been a user of Pegasus since...(the dark ages, or rather when the InterNet was still free, and uncensored, unlike now). I had to stop using it, for some reason that I've long forgotten. It is a competent, well designed, functional e-mail program. It is a great program, thanks to David Harris. I'm surprised to learn that Herr Harris is still supporting Pegasus...thanks. However, I've been using ProtonMail, their email client stinks. I've expended most of today trying to cause Pegasus to work with ProtonMail...but they don't support standard IMAP or SMTP, other than through something they name Proton Bridge, which only works with OutLook, and ThunderTurd and something else? I haven't been able to cause Pegasus to work with ProtonMail. My end-goal is to be able to alia my email and send and receive via my non-profit .org domain name website, which in the past with a different email provider was extremely easy to do in Pegasus. So here's the question, does anyone know of any VPN email provider that works with Pegasus Mail? Any help is appreciated. Cheers GenaTron

The configuration settings contained in the instructions Proton Mail provides for manually configuring Thunderbird with Proton Bridge may work in Pegasus Mail. Have you tried that?

https://proton.me/support/protonmail-bridge-clients-windows-thunderbird

I do not know how Pegasus Mail will handle the certificate part of the process.

I have not heard of anyone using Pegasus Mail with Proton Bridge/Proton Mail. You may be charting new territory.

The configuration settings contained in the instructions Proton Mail provides for manually configuring Thunderbird with Proton Bridge may work in Pegasus Mail. Have you tried that? https://proton.me/support/protonmail-bridge-clients-windows-thunderbird I do not know how Pegasus Mail will handle the certificate part of the process. I have not heard of anyone using Pegasus Mail with Proton Bridge/Proton Mail. You may be charting new territory.

The info seems confusing on there site, and since it requires a paid account seems hard to test.
Looks like they have the bridge program that actual works as a gateway..

Seems you setup a local client to talk to a local port on your own machine, and the bridge does the connection from the local port to their system...

I've done something similar using Stunnel with Pegasus for many years.
Setup local ports on my machine using 127.0.0.1 for POP3 and SMTP that map to the SSL ports on gmail and my local ISP. Also, can map the IMAP port, but I've never really liked IMAP for my email.

So, Client (Pegasus) is setup to connect to the local port and Bridge (or Stunnel in my case) does the actual SSL connection to GMAIL and local ISP.

What I'm not clear on, is they say doesn't support POP3, so guess reading mail would have to be done using IMAP? So, would just have to figure which local port on machine are used by bridge program.

With Stunnel in my case just have stunnel.conf with
[gmailpop]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:20995
connect = pop.gmail.com:995
debug = 3

[gmailsmtp]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:20465
connect = smtp.gmail.com:465
debug = 3

[gmailimap]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:20993
connect = imap.gmail.com:993
debug = 3

Then setup pegasus to use the local ports to connect and stunnel does the SSL to gmail in the above entries.

The info seems confusing on there site, and since it requires a paid account seems hard to test. Looks like they have the bridge program that actual works as a gateway.. Seems you setup a local client to talk to a local port on your own machine, and the bridge does the connection from the local port to their system... I've done something similar using Stunnel with Pegasus for many years. Setup local ports on my machine using 127.0.0.1 for POP3 and SMTP that map to the SSL ports on gmail and my local ISP. Also, can map the IMAP port, but I've never really liked IMAP for my email. So, Client (Pegasus) is setup to connect to the local port and Bridge (or Stunnel in my case) does the actual SSL connection to GMAIL and local ISP. What I'm not clear on, is they say doesn't support POP3, so guess reading mail would have to be done using IMAP? So, would just have to figure which local port on machine are used by bridge program. With Stunnel in my case just have stunnel.conf with [gmailpop] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20995 connect = pop.gmail.com:995 debug = 3 [gmailsmtp] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20465 connect = smtp.gmail.com:465 debug = 3 [gmailimap] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20993 connect = imap.gmail.com:993 debug = 3 Then setup pegasus to use the local ports to connect and stunnel does the SSL to gmail in the above entries.

mikes@guam.net

Brian, and msetzerii,

Thank you for the replies.

Brian,

Re; Bridge + ThunderTurd (my name for it), I tried using that combination until I just could not endure anymore pain. For some reason, after about two weeks the two programs together started hanging my system. It was acting like a continually worsening 'memory leak'; using System Internals 'Process viewer', Windows Memory was completely used until it was operating entirely out of disc swap memory...click something, five minutes later the clicked item would become focused, five minutes later, the focused item executed type hang. I tried everything, I could think of, including testing physical memory using a commercial memory stick testing system. Proton Mail support claimed it was being caused by my anti-virus provider, but I also ran the two programs from bootup with AV disabled and it still would begin to slow down, then hang the system after about two hours of usage.

When the program pair were still workable, another problem reared its head, I began to see multiple different subject e-mails in the in-box, but sometimes, five or six of them one after the other, indicated by receive time-stamp, would contain the text of the first e-mail, each subsequent e-mail containing the first e-mail's replicated text, while the content of the actual e-mails sent were lost. That was tracked down to the 'compressing folders' function. Really buggy.

There were so many issues, things that were supposed to work, settings malfunctions, flags that would not set properly, randomly out of date docs for wrong versions...just random bull dung.

I just got to the juncture where I just couldn't stand it any longer...I hear people say, 'oh there a few problems...its ok?' I stopped using Bridge & ThunderTurd!! Pegasus has been the only e-mail program that I have used through the years that works, is intuitive, well thought out.

msetzerii,

I see what you are saying regarding stunnel being in theory a 'bridge' like Bridge. :{)

doesn't support POP3, so guess reading mail
would have to be done using IMAP?

Yes, exactly.

just have stunnel.conf

Not following you here? As far as I know, Bridge does not take or input config files; maybe you know something I don't?

The way Bridge config works: Initial Bridge login after install - inputting proton e-mail address and acct password, Bridge generates a screen that the user cuts & pastes the generated settings into the e-mail client along with the two generated passwords:

Bridge Generated Settings:
IMAP
HostName: 127.0.0.1:1143
Unm: genetron@protonmail.com
Pwd: xxxxxxxx
Security: STARTTLS

SMTP
HostName: 127.0.0.1:1025

There is a Bridge setting that offers:
SMTP Security Config: STARTTLS or SSL

Your stunnel configuration example says something about the, pop.gmail.com:995, smtp.gmail.com:995 and imap.gmail.com:993, Bridge offers no such textual 'interface'. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your point? Is this something that can be entered into PMail someway? Or via a config.fyl etc?

In any case, I really appreciate you gents' replies in this matter. Thanks.

We may have a timezone difference, I'm in a LA California suburb, USa. Its 6:30am here, gotta hit the sack. Been working this problem now for days.

Thanks guys...GenaTron

Brian, and msetzerii, Thank you for the replies. Brian, Re; Bridge + ThunderTurd (my name for it), I tried using that combination until I just could not endure anymore pain. For some reason, after about two weeks the two programs together started hanging my system. It was acting like a continually worsening 'memory leak'; using System Internals 'Process viewer', Windows Memory was completely used until it was operating entirely out of disc swap memory...click something, five minutes later the clicked item would become focused, five minutes later, the focused item executed type hang. I tried everything, I could think of, including testing physical memory using a commercial memory stick testing system. Proton Mail support claimed it was being caused by my anti-virus provider, but I also ran the two programs from bootup with AV disabled and it still would begin to slow down, then hang the system after about two hours of usage. When the program pair were still workable, another problem reared its head, I began to see multiple different subject e-mails in the in-box, but sometimes, five or six of them one after the other, indicated by receive time-stamp, would contain the text of the first e-mail, each subsequent e-mail containing the first e-mail's replicated text, while the content of the actual e-mails sent were lost. That was tracked down to the 'compressing folders' function. Really buggy. There were so many issues, things that were supposed to work, settings malfunctions, flags that would not set properly, randomly out of date docs for wrong versions...just random bull dung. I just got to the juncture where I just couldn't stand it any longer...I hear people say, 'oh there a few problems...its ok?' I stopped using Bridge & ThunderTurd!! Pegasus has been the only e-mail program that I have used through the years that works, is intuitive, well thought out. msetzerii, I see what you are saying regarding stunnel being in theory a 'bridge' like Bridge. :{) > doesn't support POP3, so guess reading mail > would have to be done using IMAP? Yes, exactly. >just have stunnel.conf Not following you here? As far as I know, Bridge does not take or input config files; maybe you know something I don't? The way Bridge config works: Initial Bridge login after install - inputting proton e-mail address and acct password, Bridge generates a screen that the user cuts & pastes the generated settings into the e-mail client along with the two generated passwords: Bridge Generated Settings: **IMAP** HostName: 127.0.0.1:1143 Unm: genetron@protonmail.com Pwd: xxxxxxxx Security: STARTTLS **SMTP** HostName: 127.0.0.1:1025 Unm: genetron@protonmail.com Pwd: xxxxxxxx Security: STARTTLS There is a Bridge setting that offers: SMTP Security Config: STARTTLS or SSL Your stunnel configuration example says something about the, pop.gmail.com:995, smtp.gmail.com:995 and imap.gmail.com:993, Bridge offers no such textual 'interface'. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your point? Is this something that can be entered into PMail someway? Or via a config.fyl etc? In any case, I really appreciate you gents' replies in this matter. Thanks. We may have a timezone difference, I'm in a LA California suburb, USa. Its 6:30am here, gotta hit the sack. Been working this problem now for days. Thanks guys...GenaTron
edited Apr 21 '23 at 2:54 pm

Bridge Generated Settings:
IMAP
HostName: 127.0.0.1:1143

SMTP
HostName: 127.0.0.1:1025

This may be very obvious but just in case...

Looking at this from Pegasus Mail configuration point of view:

IMAP
HostName: 127.0.0.1
Port: 1143

SMTP
HostName: 127.0.0.1
Port: 1025

That said, it could be that Pegasus Mail can't handle the certificate. I don't know enough about it to know whether the certificate handling described in their Thunderbird instructions are specific to Thunderbird. Have you generated any internet session logs of connection attempts?

[quote="pid:55331, uid:38910"]Bridge Generated Settings: IMAP HostName: 127.0.0.1:1143 Unm: genetron@protonmail.com Pwd: xxxxxxxx Security: STARTTLS SMTP HostName: 127.0.0.1:1025 Unm: genetron@protonmail.com Pwd: xxxxxxxx Security: STARTTLS[/quote] This may be very obvious but just in case... Looking at this from Pegasus Mail configuration point of view: IMAP HostName: 127.0.0.1 Port: 1143 Unm: genetron@protonmail.com Pwd: xxxxxxxx Security: STARTTLS SMTP HostName: 127.0.0.1 Port: 1025 Unm: genetron@protonmail.com Pwd: xxxxxxxx Security: STARTTLS That said, it could be that Pegasus Mail can't handle the certificate. I don't know enough about it to know whether the certificate handling described in their Thunderbird instructions are specific to Thunderbird. Have you generated any internet session logs of connection attempts?

Hi GenaTron,

First, I am not sure if you are mixing two different services here, email and VPN. Proton provides both, but these are completely unrelated technologies.

To use ProtonMail you do not need a VPN-secured connection, but you may use it via a VPN connection as well. Hope this helps avoiding confusion.

On the other hand, please, specify your question more precisely so that I can help you better. Having already used ThunderBird via ProtonMail Bridge, setting up PMail with ProtonMail Bridge should be just as simple for you. So I just do not understand how I can help you, really.

I have been using PMail with ProtonMail Bridge for maybe 2 years now, and I have no problems. There are minor issues due to the IMAP connection having occasional delays - compared to local message manipulations -, but once one gets used to it, it just works.

Quick tip: IMAP folder content is mirrored in local files by Pegasus. These mirror files only grow, messages never get deleted from them, only marked as such. Thus it is very helpful to empty them regularly: in PMail folder list, right-click on any IMAP fodler, click "Folder Information", then clear both the Header cache file and the Body cache file. You know you need to do this when you see messages you just deleted still appear in the list with the subject set in strike-out font.

I hope this helps. If you need more help, let me know what exactly.

Geo

Hi GenaTron, First, I am not sure if you are mixing two different services here, email and VPN. Proton provides both, but these are completely unrelated technologies. To use ProtonMail you do not need a VPN-secured connection, but you *may* use it via a VPN connection as well. Hope this helps avoiding confusion. On the other hand, please, specify your question more precisely so that I can help you better. Having already used ThunderBird via ProtonMail Bridge, setting up PMail with ProtonMail Bridge should be just as simple for you. So I just do not understand how I can help you, really. I have been using PMail with ProtonMail Bridge for maybe 2 years now, and I have no problems. There are minor issues due to the IMAP connection having occasional delays - compared to local message manipulations -, but once one gets used to it, it just works. Quick tip: IMAP folder content is mirrored in local files by Pegasus. These mirror files only grow, messages never get deleted from them, only marked as such. Thus it is very helpful to empty them regularly: in PMail folder list, right-click on any IMAP fodler, click "Folder Information", then clear both the Header cache file and the Body cache file. You know you need to do this when you see messages you just deleted still appear in the list with the subject set in strike-out font. I hope this helps. If you need more help, let me know what exactly. Geo
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft