Community Discussions and Support
mercury open smtp relay

We have setup mercury to receive emails by SMTP and then distribute the emails to POP3 mailboxes.

However, I don't seem to be able to find an option to tell mercury what domains to accept emails on and which to reject.

I've found the global filtering rules for distribution, but the only way I can find to receive emails is to untick this option "do not permit SMTP relaying of non-local mail" - however when I do this, although I do receive emails, my IP address is then advertising as an open smtp-relay when I run an SMTP check on the IP at mxtoolbox.com website.

Hopefully I am missing something here, and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Hopefully once this is all sorted, I can then purchase a licence to help support the development of the product.

Thanks,
Phil

We have setup mercury to receive emails by SMTP and then distribute the emails to POP3 mailboxes. However, I don't seem to be able to find an option to tell mercury what domains to accept emails on and which to reject. I've found the global filtering rules for distribution, but the only way I can find to receive emails is to untick this option "do not permit SMTP relaying of non-local mail" - however when I do this, although I do receive emails, my IP address is then advertising as an open smtp-relay when I run an SMTP check on the IP at mxtoolbox.com website. Hopefully I am missing something here, and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Hopefully once this is all sorted, I can then purchase a licence to help support the development of the product. Thanks, Phil

Hi Phil,

you want to make sure that you are not an open relay with your installation, that is what I understand. And it is most important nowadays.
You don't have to allow certain domains or IP ranges, you can, but don't have to.
All you have to do to only allow your users to send mail through your system is:

Configuration > MercuryS > Connection Control >
in that window check ALL boxes under "Relay Control" .
Than create the AUTH password file by entering the file name, best with full path, hit the edit button and fill in the credentials for each user.
The formatting is: username empty space password

From that time on, only authenticated users (which are in the file listed) can send mail through your system.

Hope that hepls.

Johannes

Hi Phil, you want to make sure that you are not an open relay with your installation, that is what I understand. And it is most important nowadays. You don't have to allow certain domains or IP ranges, you can, but don't have to. All you have to do to only allow your users to send mail through your system is: Configuration > MercuryS > Connection Control > in that window check ALL boxes under "Relay Control" . Than create the AUTH password file by entering the file name, best with full path, hit the edit button and fill in the credentials for each user. The formatting is: username empty space password From that time on, only authenticated users (which are in the file listed) can send mail through your system. Hope that hepls. Johannes
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft