Community Discussions and Support
v4.81 Public Beta

Is 4.81 stable enough for everyday use? (I really miss the spell check!!!)

Any idea when the official v4.81 might be released?

If I decide to go with this one, does it just install right over v4.80 or does v4.81 Beta come with installation instructions?

Thanks!!!

Is 4.81 stable enough for everyday use? (I really miss the spell check!!!) Any idea when the official v4.81 might be released? If I decide to go with this one, does it just install right over v4.80 or does v4.81 Beta come with installation instructions? Thanks!!!

Is 4.81 stable enough for everyday use? (I really miss the spell check!!!)

Yes. Be aware that if you use its GMail OAUTH2 capability that you must do so as the identity containing your GMail POP3, SMTP, and/or IMAP hosts. Otherwise it will create an invalid OAUTH2 profile and associated host definitions.

Any idea when the official v4.81 might be released?

I don't have a clue. There was a sense of urgency to release a GMail OAUTH2 capable version and fix the user words dictionary function which is what the beta accomplished.

If I decide to go with this one, does it just install right over v4.80 or does v4.81 Beta come with installation instructions?

It will install right over v4.80 (back it up first). If you added the read-only property to your user words dictionary file you will need to remove it. Filename: USRDICT5.PMD

[quote="pid:55376, uid:4544"]Is 4.81 stable enough for everyday use? (I really miss the spell check!!!)[/quote] Yes. Be aware that if you use its GMail OAUTH2 capability that you must do so as the identity containing your GMail POP3, SMTP, and/or IMAP hosts. Otherwise it will create an invalid OAUTH2 profile and associated host definitions. [quote="pid:55376, uid:4544"]Any idea when the official v4.81 might be released?[/quote] I don't have a clue. There was a sense of urgency to release a GMail OAUTH2 capable version and fix the user words dictionary function which is what the beta accomplished. [quote="pid:55376, uid:4544"]If I decide to go with this one, does it just install right over v4.80 or does v4.81 Beta come with installation instructions?[/quote] It will install right over v4.80 (back it up first). If you added the read-only property to your user words dictionary file you will need to remove it. Filename: USRDICT5.PMD

I vaguely remember the GMail OAUTH2 issue, but I just used the Google 2 factor authentication and it's been fine ever since.

If GMail OAUTH2 still remains a problem, could you point me in the direction of what to do or will the 4.81 Beta explain it all?

As always THANKS A MILLION!!!!

I vaguely remember the GMail OAUTH2 issue, but I just used the Google 2 factor authentication and it's been fine ever since. If GMail OAUTH2 still remains a problem, could you point me in the direction of what to do or will the 4.81 Beta explain it all? As always THANKS A MILLION!!!!

I don't see any compelling reason to switch to OAUTH2 as long as Google 2FA and an app password continue to work. I think the urgency to provide a GMail OAUTH2 solution was out of concern for not knowing how long Google will support the app password.

To specifically answer your question, the GMail OAUTH2 creation function in the v4.81 beta is very obvious. In Internet Options there is a new "Automatically configure for GMail (Google Mail)" option with a button labeled "GMail". It will walk you through it, including a Google login confirmation.

I have expressed concerns about the OAUTH2 implementation because of the fact that, if run when as an identity that is not configured with GMail host definitions, it can break those non-Gmail definitions and create an invalid OAUTH profile. This can be prevented by noticing that the pre-populated address in the OAUTH2 setup screens is not a the one you need associated with OAUTH2. I think we are going to have to live with this because there does not seem to be a method by which the 'non-GMail definitions' condition can be detected (eg: domains using Google email services that are not "gmail.com" ).

I don't see any compelling reason to switch to OAUTH2 as long as Google 2FA and an app password continue to work. I think the urgency to provide a GMail OAUTH2 solution was out of concern for not knowing how long Google will support the app password. To specifically answer your question, the GMail OAUTH2 creation function in the v4.81 beta is very obvious. In Internet Options there is a new "Automatically configure for GMail (Google Mail)" option with a button labeled "GMail". It will walk you through it, including a Google login confirmation. I have expressed concerns about the OAUTH2 implementation because of the fact that, if run when as an identity that is not configured with GMail host definitions, it can break those non-Gmail definitions and create an invalid OAUTH profile. This can be prevented by noticing that the pre-populated address in the OAUTH2 setup screens is not a the one you need associated with OAUTH2. I think we are going to have to live with this because there does not seem to be a method by which the 'non-GMail definitions' condition can be detected (eg: domains using Google email services that are not "gmail.com" ).
edited Apr 26 '23 at 3:29 pm

Thanks....You're such a marvelous resource for us dedicated users who aren't professional developer type people.

Thanks....You're such a marvelous resource for us dedicated users who aren't professional developer type people.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft