Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus mail "not responding"

When returning from a clicked link pmail freezes and Win 10 then produces a popup "program not responding". There is no difference to this behaviour for different websites.
My work-around is to copy the linked address and paste separately in my browser (Opera), but this is both annoying and time consuming. This behaviour only started recently ? after last upgrade to IERenderer.
Any help would be appreciated

When returning from a clicked link pmail freezes and Win 10 then produces a popup "program not responding". There is no difference to this behaviour for different websites. My work-around is to copy the linked address and paste separately in my browser (Opera), but this is both annoying and time consuming. This behaviour only started recently ? after last upgrade to IERenderer. Any help would be appreciated

after last upgrade to IERenderer.

2.7.0.6 ?

[quote="pid:55418, uid:5960"]after last upgrade to IERenderer.[/quote] [2.7.0.6](https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/History.htm) ?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

+1
I've noticed the same problem, after the update to renderer version 2.7.0.6.

OS: Windows 7 (64 bit), default browser Opera 95.0.4635.84

Only way out is to kill PMail process and to restart.

+1 I've noticed the same problem, after the update to renderer version 2.7.0.6. OS: Windows 7 (64 bit), default browser Opera 95.0.4635.84 Only way out is to kill PMail process and to restart.

+1

Same here; I'm also using Opera (97.0.4719.83), so that seems to be the common factor.

/bosjo

+1 Same here; I'm also using Opera (97.0.4719.83), so that seems to be the common factor. /bosjo

OK, appears to be an Opera issue then, any more browsers anyone tested (Firefox, Edge and IE don't show such an issue on any of my machines), Chrome or any MAC type browsers like Safari anyone?

This can't be testet on browser test sites since it isn't a rendering issue but a question of locating the running process's window after launching it, that's why I need your help (and I don't have the resources avaliable for testing all browsers), please ...

I'm going to test Opera myself now, though.

OK, appears to be an Opera issue then, any more browsers anyone tested (Firefox, Edge and IE don't show such an issue on any of my machines), Chrome or any MAC type browsers like Safari anyone? This can't be testet on browser test sites since it isn't a rendering issue but a question of locating the running process's window after launching it, that's why I need your help (and I don't have the resources avaliable for testing all browsers), please ... I'm going to test Opera myself now, though.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

I just installed a portable version of Opera on a flash drive and set its launcher.exe as the hyperlink Web Browser commandline. I tested three links. The hang occurred, but only on one of them. There appears to be something more than just Opera involved.

I then tested that link on my other instance of Pegasus Mail. Same hang. Both are v4.81 beta with IER 2.7.0.6.

Michael, the hang did not trigger the MiniDump extension nor did it trigger the debugger attached to my instance without the extension. This is different than what was encountered with 2.7.0.5 which was a hard crash instead of a hang.

I just installed a portable version of Opera on a flash drive and set its launcher.exe as the hyperlink Web Browser commandline. I tested three links. The hang occurred, but only on one of them. There appears to be something more than just Opera involved. I then tested that link on my other instance of Pegasus Mail. Same hang. Both are v4.81 beta with IER 2.7.0.6. Michael, the hang did not trigger the MiniDump extension nor did it trigger the debugger attached to my instance without the extension. This is different than what was encountered with 2.7.0.5 which was a hard crash instead of a hang.

I just submitted a crash dump generated with the debugger Snapshot option.

Thanks Brian, I already had an idea about the issue causing this problem and that's exactly it: Opera is launched via launcher.exe but its process is named opera.exe, of course, so searching for its currently active window by scanning the running processes will fail since launcher.exe isn't the browser process of Opera.

Unfortunately it's pretty messy to figure out the proper process name via Windows Registry without hard coding at least part of it, and launching the browser using opera.exe itself (which works) doesn't help in locating Opera's window for setting it to foreground or background according to user key actions (there's a Windows function which should do so without having to access windows directly but I never could get it to work on Win 10, only Win 7). IOW: I currently can (of course) fix the hang but not the window relocation failure with Opera ...

[quote="pid:55438, uid:28772"]I just submitted a crash dump generated with the debugger Snapshot option.[/quote] Thanks Brian, I already had an idea about the issue causing this problem and that's exactly it: Opera is launched via launcher.exe but its process is named opera.exe, of course, so searching for its currently active window by scanning the running processes will fail since launcher.exe isn't the browser process of Opera. Unfortunately it's pretty messy to figure out the proper process name via Windows Registry without hard coding at least part of it, and launching the browser using opera.exe itself (which works) doesn't help in locating Opera's window for setting it to foreground or background according to user key actions (there's a Windows function which should do so without having to access windows directly but I never could get it to work on Win 10, only Win 7). IOW: I currently can (of course) fix the hang but not the window relocation failure with Opera ...
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

@idw: just to confirm, the hang does not occur on my system when I switch the default browser to Firefox.

@idw: just to confirm, the hang does not occur on my system when I switch the default browser to Firefox.
edited May 12 '23 at 1:46 pm

I've now figured out a workaround for handling Opera's oddity in using a separate "launcher" application for their browser (which will certainly fail as soon as they change any of the details involded, of course) and also fixed another issue preventing the Opera window from being detected by my previous search routines. But what I really don't like about Opera is that they force Ggl's search machine upon you no matter what: I've been using and supporting their browser when it came into being a long time ago when it wasn't another flavour of the Chromium family while trying to promote their "privacy protection" attempts.

Anyway: Expect to see an IER update (not only) dealing with the hang issue currently occuring on link clicking with IER enabled.

I've now figured out a workaround for handling Opera's oddity in using a separate "launcher" application for their browser (which will certainly fail as soon as they change any of the details involded, of course) and also fixed another issue preventing the Opera window from being detected by my previous search routines. But what I _really_ don't like about Opera is that they force Ggl's search machine upon you no matter what: I've been using and supporting their browser when it came into being a long time ago when it wasn't another flavour of the Chromium family while trying to promote their "privacy protection" attempts. Anyway: Expect to see an IER update (not only) dealing with the hang issue currently occuring on link clicking with IER enabled.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

But what I really don't like about Opera is that they force Ggl's search machine upon you no matter what

Could you explain what you mean? I have changed Opera's default search engine to bing; do you mean that it still is using google in the background, without my consent, for some tasks? In that case, I would seriously consider switching browser...

> But what I really don't like about Opera is that they force Ggl's search machine upon you no matter what Could you explain what you mean? I have changed Opera's default search engine to bing; do you mean that it still is using google in the background, without my consent, for some tasks? In that case, I would seriously consider switching browser...

Could you explain what you mean? I have changed Opera's default search engine to bing; do you mean that it still is using google in the background, without my consent, for some tasks? In that case, I would seriously consider switching browser..

I believe this to be the case but am anxious to hear from Michael.
My understanding is that every browser that is based on Chrome or Chromium should be considered a Google data collector unless it has been Google-neutered. Vivaldi, Slimjet, and Brave are the three that come to mind because I have recently used them all. Slimjet is my defaut. Vivaldi is my favorite because of its configurability but it consumes significantly more resources than Slimjet. I used Brave for awhile before discovering Slimjet.

[quote="pid:55444, uid:4665"]Could you explain what you mean? I have changed Opera's default search engine to bing; do you mean that it still is using google in the background, without my consent, for some tasks? In that case, I would seriously consider switching browser..[/quote] I believe this to be the case but am anxious to hear from Michael. My understanding is that every browser that is based on Chrome or Chromium should be considered a Google data collector unless it has been Google-neutered. Vivaldi, Slimjet, and Brave are the three that come to mind because I have recently used them all. Slimjet is my defaut. Vivaldi is my favorite because of its configurability but it consumes significantly more resources than Slimjet. I used Brave for awhile before discovering Slimjet.

I added Startpage as my favorite search machine but couldn't get it to replace Ggl, all the built-in machines are greyed out (i.e. their options) and so is the option to set Startpage as default so I can only set it up as an additional search machine. And the Startup homepage doesn't offer any other options than to set Startpage as the browser's homepage with Ggl still being the default search machine. Do I miss anything?

I added Startpage as my favorite search machine but couldn't get it to replace Ggl, all the built-in machines are greyed out (i.e. their options) and so is the option to set Startpage as default so I can only set it up as an additional search machine. And the Startup homepage doesn't offer any other options than to set Startpage as the browser's homepage with Ggl still being the default search machine. Do I miss anything?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited May 13 '23 at 10:53 pm

Michael, it appears that you were able to add Startpage as a search engine but not set it as a favorite. I wasn't even able to add it as search engine. Interestingly, in Slimjet, startpage.com displays a "Add to Chrome" button. This is not the case in Opera. Other search engines in Opera were not greyed out for me. I was able to change the default engine to DuckDuckGo.

BTW, I mentioned my concern that Chrome and Chromium based browser were "Google data collectors". Reinforcing that thought is this option in the Privacy Badger extension:
"Disable sending web addresses you visit to Google. This disables suggestions for similar pages when a page can't be found."

Michael, it appears that you were able to add Startpage as a search engine but not set it as a favorite. I wasn't even able to add it as search engine. Interestingly, in Slimjet, startpage.com displays a "Add to Chrome" button. This is not the case in Opera. Other search engines in Opera were not greyed out for me. I was able to change the default engine to DuckDuckGo. BTW, I mentioned my concern that Chrome and Chromium based browser were "Google data collectors". Reinforcing that thought is this option in the Privacy Badger extension: "Disable sending web addresses you visit to Google. This disables suggestions for similar pages when a page can't be found."
edited May 13 '23 at 3:59 pm

I was not able to add Startpage as search engine in my Opera. Interestingly, in my Slimjet browser, the startpage.com website displays a "Add to Chrome" button. This not happen when it is accessed with Opera. not the case in Opera. Other search engines in Opera were not greyed out for me. I was able to change the default engine to DuckDuckGo.

BTW, I mentioned my concern that Chrome and Chromium based browsers were "Google data collectors". Reinforcing that thought is this option in the Privacy Badger extension:
"Disable sending web addresses you visit to Google. This disables suggestions for similar pages when a page can't be found."

I was not able to add Startpage as search engine in my Opera. Interestingly, in my Slimjet browser, the startpage.com website displays a "Add to Chrome" button. This not happen when it is accessed with Opera. not the case in Opera. Other search engines in Opera were not greyed out for me. I was able to change the default engine to DuckDuckGo. BTW, I mentioned my concern that Chrome and Chromium based browsers were "Google data collectors". Reinforcing that thought is this option in the Privacy Badger extension: "Disable sending web addresses you visit to Google. This disables suggestions for similar pages when a page can't be found."

I was not able to add Startpage as search engine in my Opera. Interestingly, in my Slimjet browser, the startpage.com website displays a "Add to Chrome" button. This not happen when it is accessed with Opera. not the case in Opera. Other search engines in Opera were not greyed out for me. I was able to change the default engine to DuckDuckGo.

Yes, you can select any of the preinstalled search machines as default but not a newly added one, here's how it goes (the hint shown there is actually misleading, it's not about site search and I don't even understand what they are trying to say there at all ("search a part of Opera"???):

6460037cb6b98

In the edit dialog you enter the following text to get it working:

646003d5d5156

And with regard to allow suggestions and page preloads: Of course this would require the search engines to scan your downloads and enable them to create profiles. And this 404 substitution feature is even used by Internet providers these days. I've got the Firefox "Web Archives" extension to take care of these instead - which can be very helpful at times! smile

[quote="pid:55448, uid:28772"]I was not able to add Startpage as search engine in my Opera. Interestingly, in my Slimjet browser, the startpage.com website displays a "Add to Chrome" button. This not happen when it is accessed with Opera. not the case in Opera. Other search engines in Opera were not greyed out for me. I was able to change the default engine to DuckDuckGo.[/quote] Yes, you can select any of the preinstalled search machines as default but not a newly added one, here's how it goes (the hint shown there is actually misleading, it's _not_ about site search and I don't even understand what they are trying to say there at all ("search a part of Opera"???): ![6460037cb6b98](serve/attachment&path=6460037cb6b98) In the edit dialog you enter the following text to get it working: ![646003d5d5156](serve/attachment&path=646003d5d5156) And with regard to allow suggestions and page preloads: Of course this would require the search engines to scan your downloads and enable them to create profiles. And this 404 substitution feature is even used by Internet providers these days. I've got the Firefox "Web Archives" extension to take care of these instead - which can be _very_ helpful at times! :)
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

Yes, you can select any of the preinstalled search machines as default but not a newly added one, here's how it goes (the hint shown there is actually misleading, it's not about site search and I don't even understand what they are trying to say there at all ("search a part of Opera"???)

It certainly fooled me.

I installed Opera just for testing. I don't intend to use it so I won't pursue this.

[quote="pid:55449, uid:2133"]Yes, you can select any of the preinstalled search machines as default but not a newly added one, here's how it goes (the hint shown there is actually misleading, it's not about site search and I don't even understand what they are trying to say there at all ("search a part of Opera"???)[/quote] It certainly fooled me. I installed Opera just for testing. I don't intend to use it so I won't pursue this.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft