Community Discussions and Support
WinPM-32.exe continues to execute AFTER Pegasus has closed (ALT-File eXit)

Cue the Twilight Zone theme....
Pegasus randomly hangs after attempting to open an email. This seems to happen on previously unread mail, but inconsistently. All .cnm files have been removed from the \mail folder. This gets stranger... the entire application evokes a busy "ding" while clicking on any thing with Pegasus... then, after a while, selecting on a folders will set focus there, but click on mail w/in any folder elicits a "ding". Then, after Exiting from the application & the window closing, the instance of WinPM-32.exe remains active with usage the same steady 13% as prior to exiting.

Help, Joshua

_Cue the Twilight Zone theme...._ Pegasus randomly hangs after attempting to open an email. This seems to happen on previously unread mail, but inconsistently. All .cnm files have been removed from the \mail folder. This gets stranger... the entire application evokes a busy "ding" while clicking on any thing with Pegasus... then, after a while, selecting on a folders will set focus there, but click on mail w/in any folder elicits a "ding". Then, after Exiting from the application & the window closing, the instance of WinPM-32.exe remains active with usage the same steady 13% as prior to exiting. _Help_, Joshua

It sounds like there is a hidden open popup window. When the condition occurs try the usual things to expose all open windows.

• within Pegasus Mail, close all child windows then select the Window pull-down menu item and select Tile or Cascade
  • outside Pegasus Mail, close all programs then right-click the taskbar and select Cascade windows.

If that doesn't work, search STATE.PMJ for negative number (search for a hyphen). I you find one, copy its entry and paste it into a reply. Don't edit STATE.PMJ unless you are comfortable with what you are doing.

It sounds like there is a hidden open popup window. When the condition occurs try the usual things to expose all open windows. - within Pegasus Mail, close all child windows then select the Window pull-down menu item and select Tile or Cascade - outside Pegasus Mail, close all programs then right-click the taskbar and select Cascade windows. If that doesn't work, search STATE.PMJ for negative number (search for a hyphen). I you find one, copy its entry and paste it into a reply. Don't edit STATE.PMJ unless you are comfortable with what you are doing.

Brian: No pop-ups.
State.pmj
Only negative # is in [General]:
FClassic=-5,0,323,724,"0"

However, in [Folder]:
1248BCA3:664A:FOL00B1C=10,10,510,360,"0,0,0,0,0,0"
GJYQRFZT:64A3:FOL058E8=10,10,510,360,"0,0,0,2,0,0"
ÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝ=687,0,741,918,"169,285,109,0,34,0"
R56C6MWB:3E46:FOL07F0B=10,10,510,360,"0,0,0,0,0,0"
24F99449:06D6:FOL0152D=10,10,510,360,"0,0,0,0,0,0"

Thanks for looking at this!

Brian: No pop-ups. State.pmj Only negative # is in [General]: FClassic=-5,0,323,724,"0" However, in [Folder]: .... 1248BCA3:664A:FOL00B1C=10,10,510,360,"0,0,0,0,0,0" GJYQRFZT:64A3:FOL058E8=10,10,510,360,"0,0,0,2,0,0" **ÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝ=687,0,741,918,"169,285,109,0,34,0"** R56C6MWB:3E46:FOL07F0B=10,10,510,360,"0,0,0,0,0,0" 24F99449:06D6:FOL0152D=10,10,510,360,"0,0,0,0,0,0" ..... Thanks for looking at this!

I don't think that the negative in the FClassic entry nor the weird entry in [Folder] is causing the problem. The reason I believe that it is a popup window is because of the dings whenever you try to do anything else. The popup has focus while waiting for a response causing every other click to produce an error ding.

I think that rebuilding STATE.PMJ is the logical next step BUT it contains the record of all actions associated with folders. This includes filters associated with folders (folder-open, folder-close, and maybe auto-filters), and identities assigned to folders. If you are not doing any folder level filtering and do not have any identities assigned to folders then the side effect of a rebuild of STATE.PMJ will be the loss of all folder layouts (position, size, columns widths). Otherwise all filter and identity assignments will need to be redone.

If unsure about whether you have any folder actions assigned, open STATE.PMJ and look for any entries in these sections: [Folder_Open_Filters], [Folder_Close_Filters], [Folder_Identities]

If you choose to proceed with a rebuild of STATE.PMJ:

• close Pegasus Mail
  • rename STATE.PMJ to STATE_PMJ.SAVED
  • start Pegasus Mail

A new STATE.PMJ file will be created with default settings.

You can delete STATE_PMJ.SAVED once you are confident that you don't need it for reference.

I don't think that the negative in the FClassic entry nor the weird entry in [Folder] is causing the problem. The reason I believe that it is a popup window is because of the dings whenever you try to do anything else. The popup has focus while waiting for a response causing every other click to produce an error ding. I think that rebuilding STATE.PMJ is the logical next step BUT it contains the record of all actions associated with folders. This includes filters associated with folders (folder-open, folder-close, and maybe auto-filters), and identities assigned to folders. If you are not doing any folder level filtering and do not have any identities assigned to folders then the side effect of a rebuild of STATE.PMJ will be the loss of all folder layouts (position, size, columns widths). Otherwise all filter and identity assignments will need to be redone. If unsure about whether you have any folder actions assigned, open STATE.PMJ and look for any entries in these sections: [Folder_Open_Filters], [Folder_Close_Filters], [Folder_Identities] If you choose to proceed with a rebuild of STATE.PMJ: - close Pegasus Mail - rename STATE.PMJ to STATE_PMJ.SAVED - start Pegasus Mail A new STATE.PMJ file will be created with default settings. You can delete STATE_PMJ.SAVED once you are confident that you don't need it for reference.

Brian, thank you for the expanding information regarding the functions contained within STATE.PMJ. I was able to identify the modified [Folder... settings and was willing to lose all the of Folder formatting. IAE, allowing a new STATE.PMJ to be created has, apparently & so far, solved all of the strange behaviors. Again, many thanks for not just the solution, but for the detailed potential associated impacts.

As a Longtime (~2001) Pegasuser, each foray into the amazingly durable & robust system's functionality gives me pause & greater admiration for the work of David Harris! Praying for 5.0!

Joshua

Brian, thank you for the expanding information regarding the functions contained within STATE.PMJ. I was able to identify the modified [Folder... settings and was willing to lose all the of Folder formatting. IAE, allowing a new STATE.PMJ to be created has, apparently & so far, solved all of the strange behaviors. Again, many thanks for not just the solution, but for the detailed potential associated impacts. As a Longtime (~2001) Pegasuser, each foray into the amazingly durable & robust system's functionality gives me pause & greater admiration for the work of David Harris! Praying for 5.0! Joshua
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft