Community Discussions and Support
switch pmail to MS exchange settings?

My hosting company no longer supports POP3 or SMTP or IMAP; they have switched to Microsoft Exchange only. How can I set up Pmail to work with MS Exchange or Outlook?

My hosting company no longer supports POP3 or SMTP or IMAP; they have switched to Microsoft Exchange only. How can I set up Pmail to work with MS Exchange or Outlook?

Looks like time to find a new hosting company since they have opted to totally screw you with only support MicroSoft Only option. They made a decision that doesn't seem to have an option that I could find. Don't know Outlook at all, so not sure if it only supports the latest version of that.

Seems more and more microsoft and other programs are going to only support Windows 10 or 11, and also require Edge. Then Edge and other programs only have updates for 10 or 11. Anyone with older versions is out of luck.

Perhaps someone else has more info, but since no replies think it is not likely...

Had my ISP going back to late 80s and they have continued to support standard options. Probable since some of the high ups are Mac and Unix people.

Seems GMAIL has some options to link to Exchange, but not sure if having GMAIL get email from Exchange, and then have Pegasus get email from GMAIL??

Well, Good Luck...

Looks like time to find a new hosting company since they have opted to totally screw you with only support MicroSoft Only option. They made a decision that doesn't seem to have an option that I could find. Don't know Outlook at all, so not sure if it only supports the latest version of that. Seems more and more microsoft and other programs are going to only support Windows 10 or 11, and also require Edge. Then Edge and other programs only have updates for 10 or 11. Anyone with older versions is out of luck. Perhaps someone else has more info, but since no replies think it is not likely... Had my ISP going back to late 80s and they have continued to support standard options. Probable since some of the high ups are Mac and Unix people. Seems GMAIL has some options to link to Exchange, but not sure if having GMAIL get email from Exchange, and then have Pegasus get email from GMAIL?? Well, Good Luck...

mikes@guam.net

There seems to be some confusion. MS Exchange is an email server. You do not use it to access email, it hosts the email. Outlook is an email client, like Pegasus Mail. It accesses mail stored on email servers like Exchange. If your hosting company no longer supports POP3, SMTP, or IMAP then they MUST be requiring you to access solely by a web interface. You need to get a clear understanding of what they are doing. If they say it works with Outlook then SMTP and POP3 or IMAP (or both) must function.

The issue with MS Exchange is that authentication to it may require MS Oauth2, which Pegasus Mail does not support. If that is the case, and you want to use an email client but don't want Outlook, then Thunderbird may be an option. I know that it works with Office 365 so I believe it should work in your case.

As @msetzerii mentioned, forwarding all mail to a different host and retrieving it from there with Pegasus Mail is an option.

[quote="pid:55500, uid:2884"]My hosting company no longer supports POP3 or SMTP or IMAP; they have switched to Microsoft Exchange only. How can I set up Pmail to work with MS Exchange or Outlook?[/quote] There seems to be some confusion. MS Exchange is an email server. You do not use it to access email, it hosts the email. Outlook is an email client, like Pegasus Mail. It accesses mail stored on email servers like Exchange. If your hosting company no longer supports POP3, SMTP, or IMAP then they MUST be requiring you to access solely by a web interface. You need to get a clear understanding of what they are doing. If they say it works with Outlook then SMTP and POP3 or IMAP (or both) must function. The issue with MS Exchange is that authentication to it may require MS Oauth2, which Pegasus Mail does not support. If that is the case, and you want to use an email client but don't want Outlook, then Thunderbird may be an option. I know that it works with Office 365 so I believe it should work in your case. As @msetzerii mentioned, forwarding all mail to a different host and retrieving it from there with Pegasus Mail is an option.

Same problem here, GoDaddy the offending host.

Any recommendations for new hosts that support POP/IMAP would be appreciated

Same problem here, GoDaddy the offending host. Any recommendations for new hosts that support POP/IMAP would be appreciated
edited Jun 2 '23 at 6:13 pm

GoDaddy.com still has a lot of support information that contains the details for connecting via POP3 or IMAP. Even their marketing material shows PO3 and IMAP options. What exactly are they saying?

GoDaddy.com still has a lot of support information that contains the details for connecting via POP3 or IMAP. Even their marketing material shows PO3 and IMAP options. What exactly are they saying?

Went to look at godaddy site, and looks like they are forcing everyone to move to the outlook 365/exchange option and killing there workspace email. On some places they still talk about SMTP POP3 and IMAP, but other places saying it is being eliminated.

They talk about 1st year being free, but then talks about it being a like $50 value, so don't know if those that switch will be paying $50 per email account after first year?? Looks like they are probable going to be getting a cut of the fees, so it looks more like a MONEY issue for them rather than supporting customers.

Use my local ISP that I've had going back to late 80s and have the gmail account as a backup option.

Seems there are other hosting providers available, but I don't have any direct experience. Was not impressed with godaddy page, and they had no option to send email??

Went to look at godaddy site, and looks like they are forcing everyone to move to the outlook 365/exchange option and killing there workspace email. On some places they still talk about SMTP POP3 and IMAP, but other places saying it is being eliminated. They talk about 1st year being free, but then talks about it being a like $50 value, so don't know if those that switch will be paying $50 per email account after first year?? Looks like they are probable going to be getting a cut of the fees, so it looks more like a MONEY issue for them rather than supporting customers. Use my local ISP that I've had going back to late 80s and have the gmail account as a backup option. Seems there are other hosting providers available, but I don't have any direct experience. Was not impressed with godaddy page, and they had no option to send email??

mikes@guam.net

I don't know much about Office365 other than it being a subscription service. Is anything installed locally or are you running its apps from the cloud (eg: won't function without an internet connection)?

I don't know much about Office365 other than it being a subscription service. Is anything installed locally or are you running its apps from the cloud (eg: won't function without an internet connection)?

From GoDaddy:

"Update your settings to keep your email app access working.

There are email accounts in your organization using Basic Authentication, which Microsoft will no longer support after 06/16/2023. You'll still be able to access your email through your browser, but not from an email app, such as Outlook or Apple Mail - don't worry, none of your emails will be lost.

In order to continue using your email apps, you need to update your settings from POP/IMAP to Exchange for each device you use to check your email. This also applies to other users who are set up within your account using POP/IMAP settings. Here's how to update your email settings."

Essentially seems to me they are saying since Microsoft won't support POP/IMAP, they won't either. (ie: they're punting email support to MS)

Haven't dug into it with them, would sooner just switch hosting and not waste time trying to get GoDaddy to support my needs.

From GoDaddy: "Update your settings to keep your email app access working. There are email accounts in your organization using Basic Authentication, which Microsoft will no longer support after 06/16/2023. You'll still be able to access your email through your browser, but not from an email app, such as Outlook or Apple Mail - don't worry, none of your emails will be lost. In order to continue using your email apps, you need to update your settings from POP/IMAP to Exchange for each device you use to check your email. This also applies to other users who are set up within your account using POP/IMAP settings. Here's how to update your email settings." Essentially seems to me they are saying since Microsoft won't support POP/IMAP, they won't either. (ie: they're punting email support to MS) Haven't dug into it with them, would sooner just switch hosting and not waste time trying to get GoDaddy to support my needs.

There are email accounts in your organization using Basic Authentication, which Microsoft will no longer support after 06/16/2023. You'll still be able to access your email through your browser, but not from an email app, such as Outlook or Apple Mail - don't worry, none of your emails will be lost.
This paragraph is very obtuse. I understand that "Basic Authentication" will no longer be supported by MS but MS has replaced it with some version of OAuth.

They go on to say:

In order to continue using your email apps
which indicates that there is a way to continue using email apps (clients).

Finally, they say:

you need to update your settings from POP/IMAP to Exchange
which again is obtuse. Many, if not most email clients (Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird,...) auto-configure which means you tell it who or what the host is (in this case "Exchange" ) and it sets it up for you. I believe that is what they mean when they say to update your settings to Exchange.

All of that said, Pegasus Mail can't authenticate to Exchange unless Exchange has been configured to generate and accept application passwords. This is rare. A difficult thing will be finding a host who allows for Basic Authentication or some other form of authentication (like an application password).

The difficulty for Pegasus Mail development is that every company implements OAuth differently. That is an extreme development burden. The recently released v4.81 beta supports Google's OAuth authentication method but not anyone else's.

[quote="pid:55514, uid:38982"]There are email accounts in your organization using Basic Authentication, which Microsoft will no longer support after 06/16/2023. You'll still be able to access your email through your browser, but not from an email app, such as Outlook or Apple Mail - don't worry, none of your emails will be lost.[/quote]This paragraph is very obtuse. I understand that "Basic Authentication" will no longer be supported by MS but MS has replaced it with some version of OAuth. They go on to say: [quote="pid:55514, uid:38982"]In order to continue using your email apps[/quote] which indicates that there is a way to continue using email apps (clients). Finally, they say: [quote="pid:55514, uid:38982"]you need to update your settings from POP/IMAP to Exchange[/quote]which again is obtuse. Many, if not most email clients (Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird,...) auto-configure which means you tell it who or what the host is (in this case "Exchange" ) and it sets it up for you. I believe that is what they mean when they say to update your settings to Exchange. All of that said, Pegasus Mail can't authenticate to Exchange unless Exchange has been configured to generate and accept application passwords. This is rare. A difficult thing will be finding a host who allows for Basic Authentication or some other form of authentication (like an application password). The difficulty for Pegasus Mail development is that every company implements OAuth differently. That is an extreme development burden. The recently released v4.81 beta supports Google's OAuth authentication method but not anyone else's.

Yeah, I don't know enough about all this to sort it out; switching to a host that won't force me to alter how I work is preferred.
Second best is the above suggestion to forward out of Office365 to/through an email server where I can pick up with POP/IMAP, but that adds one more variable to work through if/when there's a problem with service.

btw: been pulling emails off my Office365 via GoDaddy for several years, so it's doable. Feels like what they are saying is it may not work at some point, and then I'm SOL.

Yeah, I don't know enough about all this to sort it out; switching to a host that won't force me to alter how I work is preferred. Second best is the above suggestion to forward out of Office365 to/through an email server where I can pick up with POP/IMAP, but that adds one more variable to work through if/when there's a problem with service. btw: been pulling emails off my Office365 via GoDaddy for several years, so it's doable. Feels like what they are saying is it may not work at some point, and then I'm SOL.
edited Jun 2 '23 at 10:16 pm

btw: is PMail still being worked on that the Exchange pick up may be coded in at some point soon?

btw: is PMail still being worked on that the Exchange pick up may be coded in at some point soon?

btw: been pulling emails off my Office365 via GoDaddy for several years, so it's doable. Feels like what they are saying is it may not work at some point, and then I'm SOL.
That is exactly what they are saying, at least as it pertains to any email client that authenticates with Basic Authentication.
I think the 4.81 beta demonstrates that it is still being worked on. I don't have a clue what the development path or vision is though.

[quote="pid:55517, uid:38982"]btw: been pulling emails off my Office365 via GoDaddy for several years, so it's doable. Feels like what they are saying is it may not work at some point, and then I'm SOL.[/quote]That is exactly what they are saying, at least as it pertains to any email client that authenticates with Basic Authentication. [quote="pid:55518, uid:38982"]btw: is PMail still being worked on that the Exchange pick up may be coded in at some point soon?[/quote] I think the 4.81 beta demonstrates that it is still being worked on. I don't have a clue what the development path or vision is though.

I think the 4.81 beta demonstrates that it is still being worked on. I don't have a clue what the development path or vision is though.

Speaking of 4.81, there is the Gmail OAuth2 version... does that work with MS as well (given 2021 news referred to updates that deal with Gmail AND MS OAuth2...

[quote="pid:55523, uid:28772"]I think the 4.81 beta demonstrates that it is still being worked on. I don't have a clue what the development path or vision is though.[/quote] Speaking of 4.81, there is the Gmail OAuth2 version... does that work with MS as well (given 2021 news referred to updates that deal with Gmail **AND** MS OAuth2...

Speaking of 4.81, there is the Gmail OAuth2 version... does that work with MS as well

No. It only works with Gmail.

[quote="pid:55538, uid:38982"]Speaking of 4.81, there is the Gmail OAuth2 version... does that work with MS as well[/quote] No. It only works with Gmail.

So... need to find a host that is set up with POP3/IMAP.
How do all the other PMail users get their email, who's their email host?
Are there any recommendations for reliable email-only hosts which maintain POP3/IMAP access?

So... need to find a host that is set up with POP3/IMAP. How do all the other PMail users get their email, who's their email host? Are there any recommendations for reliable email-only hosts which maintain POP3/IMAP access?

I am sorry that I can't help with that. I have only ever used free email services (Gmail, GMX, Zoho, outlook.com, and my ISP). Each one of them has unique issues, not disqualifying bad though. I have stuck with GMX and Gmail the longest although my Gmail account is the one I give out when I don't want to correspond (mostly shopping sites and sites that require an email address to register). Since you are using GoDaddy I assume that you are hosting a website. That rules out the free services.

I am sorry that I can't help with that. I have only ever used free email services (Gmail, GMX, Zoho, outlook.com, and my ISP). Each one of them has unique issues, not disqualifying bad though. I have stuck with GMX and Gmail the longest although my Gmail account is the one I give out when I don't want to correspond (mostly shopping sites and sites that require an email address to register). Since you are using GoDaddy I assume that you are hosting a website. That rules out the free services.

Since you are using GoDaddy I assume that you are hosting a website. That rules out the free services.

Plan B for me would be to continue to use GoDaddy for the web sites, but route email through a third-party free email service: forward all to the free email from GoDaddy for incoming, send from the free email with PMail identities for outgoing.

Do you know if GMX or Zoho allow for POP3/IMAP?

[quote="pid:55550, uid:28772"]Since you are using GoDaddy I assume that you are hosting a website. That rules out the free services.[/quote] Plan B for me would be to continue to use GoDaddy for the web sites, but route email through a third-party free email service: forward all to the free email from GoDaddy for incoming, send from the free email with PMail identities for outgoing. Do you know if GMX or Zoho allow for POP3/IMAP?
edited Jun 6 '23 at 7:54 pm

Do you know if GMX or Zoho allow for POP3/IMAP?

Yes. All of the ones I listed do. Surprisingly, a free account on outlook.com still works with basic authentication.

[quote="pid:55551, uid:38982"]Do you know if GMX or Zoho allow for POP3/IMAP?[/quote] Yes. All of the ones I listed do. Surprisingly, a free account on outlook.com still works with basic authentication.

Follow up solution:

• GoDaddy still supports POP/IMAP: just not for MSO365 email addresses
  • The POP retirement does not affect the send SMTP (ignorance + panic = why I thought so)

Put those two together and I was freaking over nothing:

I set up a new POP email address on my GoDaddy cPanel (bouncepop@)
I forward all MSO365 incoming email to bouncepop@
I set up a new identity in PMail to POP pick up from bouncepop@, no sending
I edit my existing PMail identity for MSO365 to just not pick up, still send

Done.

It worked the same with GMX too until I realized I could set up a POP at GoDaddy

Follow up solution: - GoDaddy still supports POP/IMAP: just not for MSO365 email addresses - The POP retirement does not affect the send SMTP (ignorance + panic = why I thought so) Put those two together and I was freaking over nothing: I set up a new POP email address on my GoDaddy cPanel (bouncepop@) I forward all MSO365 incoming email to bouncepop@ I set up a new identity in PMail to POP pick up from bouncepop@, no sending I edit my existing PMail identity for MSO365 to just not pick up, still send Done. It worked the same with GMX too until I realized I could set up a POP at GoDaddy
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft