Community Discussions and Support
PM 4.80 does not recognize PDF files anymore when attached

Hello,

I realized recently that pmail does not recoginze pdf-attachments as such.

I can no longer double click pdf-attachments to open them, it says "Type unknown" and I have them saved first and then via explorer everything works as supposed.

Have already tried to reinstall my pdf-viewer (sumatra) which has been working ok all the time and still does, but pmail still does not know anything about pdf-files.

What can I do?

regards
Peter

Hello, I realized recently that pmail does not recoginze pdf-attachments as such. I can no longer double click pdf-attachments to open them, it says "Type unknown" and I have them saved first and then via explorer everything works as supposed. Have already tried to reinstall my pdf-viewer (sumatra) which has been working ok all the time and still does, but pmail still does not know anything about pdf-files. What can I do? regards Peter

Once upon a time, PDF attachments were always identified with a content-type of "application/pdf". Pegasus Mail knows how to handle these. Unfortunately it has become common for PDF attachments to be sent as content-type "application/octet-stream". This content-type is not PDF specific, it can apply to many different file types. The things you can do to help Pegasus Mail handle these as best it can are:

• Go to Tools > Incoming mail > Content viewers. Add an entry for .pdf (or edit the existing one). If adding you select the "Filename extension" radio button, enter ".pdf" (no quotes") in the "Matches this:" field, and then enter the path to the Sumatra executable in the "Run the program" option (use the browse button to select the Sumatra executable).
  • Add this entry to the MIME-MAP.PM file if it isn't already there:application/pdf = PDF-document
  • Add this entry to the FILETYPE.PM file if it isn't already there:PDF-document,0,X,0,.PDF

Also, be aware that sometimes a double-click won't open an attachment but the 'Open' button in the attachment pane toolbar will.

Once upon a time, PDF attachments were always identified with a content-type of "application/pdf". Pegasus Mail knows how to handle these. Unfortunately it has become common for PDF attachments to be sent as content-type "application/octet-stream". This content-type is not PDF specific, it can apply to many different file types. The things you can do to help Pegasus Mail handle these as best it can are: - Go to Tools > Incoming mail > Content viewers. Add an entry for .pdf (or edit the existing one). If adding you select the "Filename extension" radio button, enter ".pdf" (no quotes") in the "Matches this:" field, and then enter the path to the Sumatra executable in the "Run the program" option (use the browse button to select the Sumatra executable). - Add this entry to the MIME-MAP.PM file if it isn't already there: application/pdf = PDF-document - Add this entry to the FILETYPE.PM file if it isn't already there: PDF-document,0,X,0,.PDF Also, be aware that sometimes a double-click won't open an attachment but the 'Open' button in the attachment pane toolbar will.

What I have in my FILETYPE.PM is
PDF-FILE,0,S,1,PDF
That looks at the beginning of file for PDF starting at byte 2.
PDF files start with %PDF that way if a PDF file is sent with a different extension it is still recognized.

PDF-document,0,X,0,.PDF
Checks for just the file extension, which in most cases should be fine.

See this one
MS-Richtext,0,X,0,.RTF,S,0,{\092rtf

It combines both the extension and the beginning bytes.
Think this would handle either identification.
PDF-document,0,X,0,.PDF,0,S,1,PDF

What I have in my FILETYPE.PM is PDF-FILE,0,S,1,PDF That looks at the beginning of file for PDF starting at byte 2. PDF files start with %PDF that way if a PDF file is sent with a different extension it is still recognized. PDF-document,0,X,0,.PDF Checks for just the file extension, which in most cases should be fine. See this one MS-Richtext,0,X,0,.RTF,S,0,{\092rtf It combines both the extension and the beginning bytes. Think this would handle either identification. PDF-document,0,X,0,.PDF,0,S,1,PDF

mikes@guam.net

Thank you for your answers!

I have now found a solution by "Add"ing a file's type extension to the appropriate list, where nothing was there dealing with pdf-files. How on earth was I able to open pdf-files in the last 25 years?
I did this via "Tools/Options/Incoming mail/Content viewers", see pic

647dfa795dd70

I also viewed pmail's FILETYPE.PM file, which is dated 2.11.2002/30.07.2017, so no change in the last six years.
There is also no mention (record entry) to be found dealing with "pdf" files!
647dfdb54f7b4

I have also looked at very old and new emails with pdf-files attachmed to them (tab "raw view" after double-clicking the email in their respectiv folder). These pdf-attachment are all specified as "Content type: application/pdf".
647dfeabc027a

There is only 1 "application/..." entry within pmail in my installation.
647dfe169d13e

So how on earth did pmail manage to open pdf-files just until rececently (via double-clicking the attachment)?

Thank you for your answers! I have now found a solution by "Add"ing a file's type extension to the appropriate list, where nothing was there dealing with pdf-files. How on earth was I able to open pdf-files in the last 25 years? I did this via "Tools/Options/Incoming mail/Content viewers", see pic ![647dfa795dd70](serve/attachment&path=647dfa795dd70) I also viewed pmail's FILETYPE.PM file, which is dated 2.11.2002/30.07.2017, so no change in the last six years. There is also no mention (record entry) to be found dealing with "pdf" files! ![647dfdb54f7b4](serve/attachment&path=647dfdb54f7b4) I have also looked at very old and new emails with pdf-files attachmed to them (tab "raw view" after double-clicking the email in their respectiv folder). These pdf-attachment are all specified as "Content type: application/pdf". ![647dfeabc027a](serve/attachment&path=647dfeabc027a) There is only 1 "application/..." entry within pmail in my installation. ![647dfe169d13e](serve/attachment&path=647dfe169d13e) So how on earth did pmail manage to open pdf-files just until rececently (via double-clicking the attachment)?

Seems it has been set to pass attempts to open a PDF file to Windows rather than an internal option in Pegasus or a specific program. So clicking on a file with the .pdf extension gets passed to windows, and it has some program assigned for PDF files.

Seems it has been set to pass attempts to open a PDF file to Windows rather than an internal option in Pegasus or a specific program. So clicking on a file with the .pdf extension gets passed to windows, and it has some program assigned for PDF files.

mikes@guam.net

If attachment preview is on, turn it off and then test. You will need to reload the open message.

If attachment preview is on, turn it off and then test. You will need to reload the open message.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft