Community Discussions and Support
Reading Gmail in Peasus

Hello
I am trying to download (pop3) mail from gmail to Pegasus 4.80 but am told that there is something wrong with the username or password. See several places that it should be possible to do this. I have tested with both one- and two-step login to google. Anyone have a solution to this?

Hello I am trying to download (pop3) mail from gmail to Pegasus 4.80 but am told that there is something wrong with the username or password. See several places that it should be possible to do this. I have tested with both one- and two-step login to google. Anyone have a solution to this?

You basically have two options.

1. You can setup an app password with gmail and it will created a special password that is different than your actual password for Pegasus, and then have to set the password in Pegasus to use that password. So it creates a special password for Pegasus App only.I've been using the app password option for many years, and it continues to work (so far).
  2. You can download the 4.81 public beta, and it has the option to setup the new authenication system with Pegasus to Gmail. I have not done that yet, so don't know the details, but think it is suppose to automatically see on the upgrade to 4.81 that you have a gmail account and will prompt you to run the setup.https://www.pmail.com/betas.htm

You basically have two options. 1. You can setup an app password with gmail and it will created a special password that is different than your actual password for Pegasus, and then have to set the password in Pegasus to use that password. So it creates a special password for Pegasus App only. I've been using the app password option for many years, and it continues to work (so far). 2. You can download the 4.81 public beta, and it has the option to setup the new authenication system with Pegasus to Gmail. I have not done that yet, so don't know the details, but think it is suppose to automatically see on the upgrade to 4.81 that you have a gmail account and will prompt you to run the setup. https://www.pmail.com/betas.htm

mikes@guam.net

Thanks for reply. I have tested the solution with version 4.81 and it works 100% so far :-).

Thanks for reply. I have tested the solution with version 4.81 and it works 100% so far :-).

Downloaded 4.81 beta but what do I need to do in order to set it up to read gmail messages? Currently have it working to send emails using the gmail server by creating the application password, but can't get it to download emails. And do not see anything onusing the new auth system in 4.81

Downloaded 4.81 beta but what do I need to do in order to set it up to read gmail messages? Currently have it working to send emails using the gmail server by creating the application password, but can't get it to download emails. And do not see anything onusing the new auth system in 4.81

Found the button for gmail config - it did the auth with gmail and said it was fine - see the pop definition was created, but it will not download any emails from gmail for me.

Found the button for gmail config - it did the auth with gmail and said it was fine - see the pop definition was created, but it will not download any emails from gmail for me.

If you use multiple identities, the GMail configuration must be done while as the identity associated with the GMail account. If this is not your situation, see below, otherwise you should remove the GMail configuration while as the identity that created it (use the 'Delete Profile' button) then switch to the GMail identity and create it.

Note: In the case of the above situation, the POP3 and SMTP hosts associated with first creating identity may have been replaced with the ones for GMail.

If identities is not your issue, is this a new GMail configuration or had you been using it and are now checking out the v4.81 beta?

If you use multiple identities, the GMail configuration must be done while as the identity associated with the GMail account. If this is not your situation, see below, otherwise you should remove the GMail configuration while as the identity that created it (use the 'Delete Profile' button) then switch to the GMail identity and create it. Note: In the case of the above situation, the POP3 and SMTP hosts associated with first creating identity may have been replaced with the ones for GMail. If identities is not your issue, is this a new GMail configuration or had you been using it and are now checking out the v4.81 beta?

Brian - thank you - that was the issue. Currently I have a main identity that checks for mail from several different providers, so didn't think I needed to create a seperate idenity for gmail. Created one and all works as it should downloading and sending mail. Thank you so much!

Brian - thank you - that was the issue. Currently I have a main identity that checks for mail from several different providers, so didn't think I needed to create a seperate idenity for gmail. Created one and all works as it should downloading and sending mail. Thank you so much!
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft