Community Discussions and Support
password???

Using pmail since ages, much delighted with it.
Now, new hdd, installed freshly downloades version.
horror: pmail asks for password ... i never created one! Never was aksed for a password in the last years!
Were can I create a password, so that I can finish the installation???

Using pmail since ages, much delighted with it. Now, new hdd, installed freshly downloades version. horror: pmail asks for password ... i never created one! Never was aksed for a password in the last years! Were can I create a password, so that I can finish the installation???

Don't know of option for password??
Only thing that would come to mind is when one had a Novell Network with an installation of Pegasus on a local drive. If not logged into Novell server it might prompt for Novell Login?

Generally, one just copies the Pegasus C:\PMAIL directory structure to the new hard disk.
Then doing an upgrade should take old settings.
If did a new install from scratch it might setup a multi-user config, but that would prompt for user name not password?

Also, make sure not to install in Programs directory, since Windows doesn't allow access that Pegasus needs.

I would bring up task manager, and make sure it is Pegasus that is asking for password, might be some Windows or antivirus program doing some kind of security thing.

Perhaps others have seen this, but I haven't.
Good Luck.

Don't know of option for password?? Only thing that would come to mind is when one had a Novell Network with an installation of Pegasus on a local drive. If not logged into Novell server it might prompt for Novell Login? Generally, one just copies the Pegasus C:\PMAIL directory structure to the new hard disk. Then doing an upgrade should take old settings. If did a new install from scratch it might setup a multi-user config, but that would prompt for user name not password? Also, make sure not to install in Programs directory, since Windows doesn't allow access that Pegasus needs. I would bring up task manager, and make sure it is Pegasus that is asking for password, might be some Windows or antivirus program doing some kind of security thing. Perhaps others have seen this, but I haven't. Good Luck.

mikes@guam.net

I would bring up task manager, and make sure it is Pegasus that is asking for password, might be some Windows or antivirus program doing some kind of security thing.

I believe this is the case because there is nothing in the Pegasus Mail installation that will prompt for a password. At what stage of the installation are you being prompted? The prompt window should provide a clue into what is asking for it. You downloaded it from www.pmail.com right?

Generally, one just copies the Pegasus C:\PMAIL directory structure to the new hard disk.
Then doing an upgrade should take old settings.

Do this if you want to keep the previous settings and mail data. It is easier than trying to copy just the data from a previous installation. There is something to be said for doing a clean installation though, especially if the old one has been through numerous upgrades. A new installation insures that there are no cobwebs left from versions past.

[quote="pid:55575, uid:2546"]I would bring up task manager, and make sure it is Pegasus that is asking for password, might be some Windows or antivirus program doing some kind of security thing.[/quote] I believe this is the case because there is nothing in the Pegasus Mail installation that will prompt for a password. At what stage of the installation are you being prompted? The prompt window should provide a clue into what is asking for it. You downloaded it from www.pmail.com right? [quote="pid:55575, uid:2546"]Generally, one just copies the Pegasus C:\PMAIL directory structure to the new hard disk. Then doing an upgrade should take old settings.[/quote] Do this if you want to keep the previous settings and mail data. It is easier than trying to copy just the data from a previous installation. There is something to be said for doing a clean installation though, especially if the old one has been through numerous upgrades. A new installation insures that there are no cobwebs left from versions past.