Community Discussions and Support
Block MAIL FROM:<> ??

Is it possible to block any email with a blank from ??

ie:  MAIL FROM:<> SIZE=5830 

Just watching my logs and I have had thousands of these and lots of RSET entries..

Any way to stop those ?

Thanks

&lt;p&gt;Is it possible to block any email with a blank from ??&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;ie:&amp;nbsp; MAIL FROM:&amp;lt;&amp;gt; SIZE=5830&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Just watching my logs and I have had thousands of these and lots of RSET entries.. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Any way to stop those ?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="tomt"]

Is it possible to block any email with a blank from ??

ie:  MAIL FROM:<> SIZE=5830 

Just watching my logs and I have had thousands of these and lots of RSET entries..

Any way to stop those ?

Thanks

[/quote]

Nope, the blank MAIL FROM: is a valid entry as specified by RFC used by mail servers when sending messages where there is no reply expected or desired.  They use this to stop loops.  Block these and you are blocking all error reports from and mail server.  Actually there are blacklists out there that look for mail servers that are violating the RFCs and you might get yourself added to a black list if you reject these connections.

[quote user=&quot;tomt&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Is it possible to block any email with a blank from ??&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;ie:&amp;nbsp; MAIL FROM:&amp;lt;&amp;gt; SIZE=5830&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Just watching my logs and I have had thousands of these and lots of RSET entries.. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Any way to stop those ?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Thanks &amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Nope, the blank MAIL FROM: is a valid entry as specified by RFC used by mail servers when sending messages where there is no reply expected or desired.&amp;nbsp; They use this to stop loops.&amp;nbsp; Block these and you are blocking all error reports from and mail server.&amp;nbsp; Actually there are blacklists out there that look for mail servers that are violating the RFCs and you might get yourself added to a black list if you reject these connections.&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

Thanks Thomas.

My logs are going mad with these attempts adn then lots of RSET's..

Is it worth lowering the  'limit maximum number of failed RCPTs and relay attempts ?

Currently both are set at 4. 

&lt;p&gt;Thanks Thomas. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;My logs are going mad with these attempts adn then lots of RSET&#039;s..&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Is it worth lowering the&amp;nbsp; &#039;limit maximum number of failed RCPTs and relay attempts ?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Currently both are set at 4.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;

[quote user="tomt"]

Thanks Thomas.

My logs are going mad with these attempts adn then lots of RSET's..

Is it worth lowering the  'limit maximum number of failed RCPTs and relay attempts ?

Currently both are set at 4. 

[/quote]

I would not however some have.  If you have a relatively stable  user base this probably would not do all that much harm and you would not lose all that much good mail.  The problem is you'll never really know who's getting rejected unless you spend a lot of time in the logs. I simply do not have to time to do that so i reject no one.  ;-)

[quote user=&quot;tomt&quot;]&lt;p&gt;Thanks Thomas. &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;My logs are going mad with these attempts adn then lots of RSET&#039;s..&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Is it worth lowering the&amp;nbsp; &#039;limit maximum number of failed RCPTs and relay attempts ?&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;Currently both are set at 4.&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;[/quote]&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;I would not however some have.&amp;nbsp; If you have a relatively stable&amp;nbsp; user base this probably would not do all that much harm and you would not lose all that much good mail.&amp;nbsp; The problem is you&#039;ll never really know who&#039;s getting rejected unless you spend a lot of time in the logs. I simply do not have to time to do that so i reject no one.&amp;nbsp; ;-)&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt; &lt;/p&gt;&lt;p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/p&gt;
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft