Community Discussions and Support
cannot read the timestamp of IERenderer module

After installing IER 2.7.0.7 I had this warning from Pegasus when checking IER last version.

"cannot read the timestamp of IERenderer module"

I usually install moving files into IER dir on my server, maybe I forgot to move a file there?

After installing IER 2.7.0.7 I had this warning from Pegasus when checking IER last version. "cannot read the timestamp of IERenderer module" I usually install moving files into IER dir on my server, maybe I forgot to move a file there?

If your installation process is to extract IERendererSetup.exe with InnoUnpacker and then copy the appropriate files to \Pmail\Programs and \Pmail\Programs\IERenderer on your server then I suspect that something went wrong so would try again.

You might also want to check permissions to the files in \Pmail\Programs\IERenderer.

FWIW, I run a portable version of PMail in which I update IER using the extract method. An IER update check in it worked fine.

If your installation process is to extract IERendererSetup.exe with InnoUnpacker and then copy the appropriate files to \Pmail\Programs and \Pmail\Programs\IERenderer on your server then I suspect that something went wrong so would try again. You might also want to check permissions to the files in \Pmail\Programs\IERenderer. FWIW, I run a portable version of PMail in which I update IER using the extract method. An IER update check in it worked fine.

Thank you Brian,

yes, I do extract as you wrote.

I did it again but still same problem.

I have permissions on that W server.

Thank you Brian, yes, I do extract as you wrote. I did it again but still same problem. I have permissions on that W server.

I don't know what would produce that warning so I we'll need to wait for Michael's thoughts.

I don't know what would produce that warning so I we'll need to wait for Michael's thoughts.

This error usually occurs if IERenderer.dll's digital signature cannot be read - which I actually only encounter if there is none at all (like when I'm recompiling test versions without signing them during development). I'm using the signature's timestamp (coming from Sectigo's timestamp signature) because it's the most reliable version info I can get, filetimes are only file system properties and version numbers can easily be modified using any kind of resource hacker. You can check whether the timestamp signature on your file exists by right clicking IERenderer.dll, selecting the file properties and looking at the bottom of it's Digital Signature page: The first signature shown there will be my self-signed one, if opening the Details page it'll show the Sectigo timestamp like this one (it's not the one from IERenderer and its a German display):

648d048497dbe

If it's there and you get this error there must be something else preventing IER from reading and decoding the timestamp information, maybe an outdated system which cannot handle SHA-512 signatures (SHA-1 isn't safe anymore).

This error usually occurs if IERenderer.dll's digital signature cannot be read - which I actually only encounter if there is none at all (like when I'm recompiling test versions without signing them during development). I'm using the signature's timestamp (coming from Sectigo's timestamp signature) because it's the most reliable version info I can get, filetimes are only file _system_ properties and version numbers can easily be modified using any kind of resource hacker. You can check whether the timestamp signature on your file exists by right clicking IERenderer.dll, selecting the file properties and looking at the bottom of it's _Digital Signature_ page: The first signature shown there will be my self-signed one, if opening the _Details_ page it'll show the Sectigo timestamp like this one (it's _not_ the one from IERenderer and its a German display): ![648d048497dbe](serve/attachment&path=648d048497dbe) If it's there and you get this error there must be something else preventing IER from reading and decoding the timestamp information, maybe an outdated system which cannot handle SHA-512 signatures ([SHA-1 isn't safe anymore](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-1#Comparison_of_SHA_functions)).
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Hi Michael, thanks for your reply.

649185b16a0a0

Your signature is there, but certificate looks missing... I tried to import the certificate but message is still there: "a successfully processed certificate chain ends in a root certificate from a Certificate Authority that is not in the local list"

Any idea?

Hi Michael, thanks for your reply. ![649185b16a0a0](serve/attachment&path=649185b16a0a0) Your signature is there, but certificate looks missing... I tried to import the certificate but message is still there: "a successfully processed certificate chain ends in a root certificate from a Certificate Authority that is not in the local list" Any idea?

Your signature is there, but certificate looks missing... I tried to import the certificate but message is still there: "a successfully processed certificate chain ends in a root certificate from a Certificate Authority that is not in the local list"

Yes, it's a self-signed certificate, i.e. I'm my own Certificate Authority. If I wouldn't do so, I would have to pay fees for getting code signing certificates which isn't an option not only since I'm not making any money with what I'm doing, for more details go to https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48946680/how-to-avoid-the-windows-defender-smartscreen-prevented-an-unrecognized-app-fro/66582477#66582477, the link is also available on my download page.

But this doesn't matter with regard to the time stamp, it can be used and read nevertheless since it's coming from a certified time stamp provider. If you want to get rid of this error you need to import my certificate into the Windows certificate data base as a Trusted root certification authority, starting with step #3 as described here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-server-essentials-and/installing-a-self-signed-certificate-as-a-trusted-root-ca-in/ba-p/396105. But as I already wrote above: It's not required for reading the timestamp programmatically since most people won't have installed my certificate into their database either, so there may be some other access issue which I don't know of.

Did it ever work in previous cases? From which version are you trying to update? There was a version where it didn't work properly because of some coding issue, but this should be fixed in newer versions (it's mentioned in the release history for Version 2.6.6.5).

[Edit: Website updated to allow linking to single version histories]

[quote="pid:55594, uid:10969"]Your signature is there, but certificate looks missing... I tried to import the certificate but message is still there: "a successfully processed certificate chain ends in a root certificate from a Certificate Authority that is not in the local list"[/quote] Yes, it's a self-signed certificate, i.e. I'm my own Certificate Authority. If I wouldn't do so, I would have to pay fees for getting code signing certificates which isn't an option not only since I'm not making any money with what I'm doing, for more details go to https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48946680/how-to-avoid-the-windows-defender-smartscreen-prevented-an-unrecognized-app-fro/66582477#66582477, the link is also available on my download page. But this doesn't matter with regard to the time stamp, it can be used and read nevertheless since it's coming from a certified time stamp provider. If you want to get rid of this error you need to import my certificate into the Windows certificate data base as a _Trusted root certification authority_, starting with step #3 as described here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-server-essentials-and/installing-a-self-signed-certificate-as-a-trusted-root-ca-in/ba-p/396105. But as I already wrote above: It's not required for reading the timestamp programmatically since most people won't have installed my certificate into their database either, so there may be some other access issue which I don't know of. Did it ever work in previous cases? From which version are you trying to update? There was a version where it didn't work properly because of some coding issue, but this should be fixed in newer versions (it's mentioned in the [release history for Version 2.6.6.5](https://www.pmpgp.de/renderer/History.htm#Version_2.6.6.5)). [Edit: Website updated to allow linking to single version histories]
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Jun 20 '23 at 8:18 pm

I did as per your suggestion.

Now the certificate is properly installed (I verified too).

Problem is still there...

I'm starting to think there is something different going on:

1) clicking on links within a message, often gives this message:

"An error occurred while attempting to verify the file type of <index.php>:
12002 - Timeout dell'operazione.
Do you want to allow your browser to download it nevertheless?"

2) At certain point I had the message [IERenderer] "Access Denied" and Pegasus Mail crashed.

3) Spamhalter "traffic light" is often grey, while spam probability is very high

Maybe these things are unrelated to each other but everything is working noticeably worse than usual...

Timestamp problem itself started with 2.7.0.3. now I'm on 2.7.0.7.

I did as per your suggestion. Now the certificate is properly installed (I verified too). Problem is still there... I&#039;m starting to think there is something different going on: 1) clicking on links within a message, often gives this message: &quot;An error occurred while attempting to verify the file type of &lt;index.php&gt;: 12002 - Timeout dell&#039;operazione. Do you want to allow your browser to download it nevertheless?&quot; 2) At certain point I had the message [IERenderer] &quot;Access Denied&quot; and Pegasus Mail crashed. 3) Spamhalter &quot;traffic light&quot; is often grey, while spam probability is very high Maybe these things are unrelated to each other but everything is working noticeably worse than usual... Timestamp problem itself started with 2.7.0.3. now I&#039;m on 2.7.0.7.
edited Jun 21 '23 at 3:14 pm

"An error occurred while attempting to verify the file type of <index.php>:
12002 - Timeout dell'operazione.

This happens when doing security checks and isn't anything to worry about too much, php scripts are a common part of lots of web sites and download paths.

At certain point I had the message [IERenderer] "Access Denied" and Pegasus Mail crashed.

This should not happen, of course, and figuring out the reasons would require you to notice any patterns and forward certain messages involved (if duplicatable) or MiniDump's created by my respective tool fom https://www.pmpgp.de/pmtools/MiniDumpAndSources.zip.

Spamhalter "traffic light" is often grey, while spam probability is very high

Nothing I can say about this ...

What Windows version is involved?

[quote=&quot;pid:55606, uid:10969&quot;]&quot;An error occurred while attempting to verify the file type of &lt;index.php&gt;: 12002 - Timeout dell&#039;operazione.[/quote] This happens when doing security checks and isn&#039;t anything to worry about too much, php scripts are a common part of lots of web sites and download paths. [quote=&quot;pid:55606, uid:10969&quot;]At certain point I had the message [IERenderer] &quot;Access Denied&quot; and Pegasus Mail crashed.[/quote] This should not happen, of course, and figuring out the reasons would require you to notice any patterns and forward certain messages involved (if duplicatable) or MiniDump&#039;s created by my respective tool fom https://www.pmpgp.de/pmtools/MiniDumpAndSources.zip. [quote=&quot;pid:55606, uid:10969&quot;]Spamhalter &quot;traffic light&quot; is often grey, while spam probability is very high[/quote] Nothing I can say about this ... What Windows version is involved?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft