Community Discussions and Support
Filters = "Run a program" not passing temporary email

Hi

So the pdf file for mercury mail says that if you use the run a program option for a filter..

"The Run Program rule action will start the specified program, passing a temporary copy of the message on the commandline"

Well it's not working! I thought i was imagining it so i used a small test program i have for displaying parameters that are passed via the command line... no parameters are passed to it from mercury mail.

It does indeed start the program but it does not pass any parameters containing the email.

I really need this as i need to run a second mail server on the same machine on a different port (it's custom for another website and sends email via http to a url). If mercury can call another program and pass the email then the second program can simply pass the email via tcp connection to my other mail server.

Without the email being passed though, i'm unable to get this working.

Any ideas?

Hi So the pdf file for mercury mail says that if you use the run a program option for a filter.. "The Run Program rule action will start the specified program, **passing a temporary copy of the message** on the commandline" Well it's not working! I thought i was imagining it so i used a small test program i have for displaying parameters that are passed via the command line... no parameters are passed to it from mercury mail. It does indeed start the program but it does not pass any parameters containing the email. I really need this as i need to run a second mail server on the same machine on a different port (it's custom for another website and sends email via http to a url). If mercury can call another program and pass the email then the second program can simply pass the email via tcp connection to my other mail server. Without the email being passed though, i'm unable to get this working. Any ideas?

I'll have a look what's happening with the parameter for this action, but in the meantime you could perhaps try using a pre-filter policy instead. We use that to create archive copies of messages, and that definitely works.

I'll have a look what's happening with the parameter for this action, but in the meantime you could perhaps try using a pre-filter policy instead. We use that to create archive copies of messages, and that definitely works.

pre filter policy...

I just need the thing to run - asap and reliably.

So far google can't connect via pop3... outgoing mail is pending.. i'm fed up with this software already.

Pre-configured it is designed to get a servers IP blacklisted for spamming. I came home to find over 15k emails have gone through it in just 1 day.

How is that possible with only users created on the system? - Oh.. you have to create an authenticated users file.. and duplicate the users names and passwords there too right... Now my server is blacklisted. Nice one.

This is badly designed, badly supported and badly implemented. I have no idea why xampp bother distributing it.

pre filter policy... I just need the thing to run - asap and reliably. So far google can't connect via pop3... outgoing mail is pending.. i'm fed up with this software already. Pre-configured it is designed to get a servers IP blacklisted for spamming. I came home to find over 15k emails have gone through it in just 1 day. How is that possible with only users created on the system? - Oh.. you have to create an authenticated users file.. and duplicate the users names and passwords there too right... Now my server is blacklisted. Nice one. This is badly designed, badly supported and badly implemented. I have no idea why xampp bother distributing it.

Sending email to google results in
TCP/IP error during processing.

DOES THIS SOFTWARE WORK AT ALL?????

Sending email to google results in TCP/IP error during processing. DOES THIS SOFTWARE WORK AT ALL?????

DOES THIS SOFTWARE WORK AT ALL?????

If you are referring to the Mercury Mail Transport System software, it works great. It is very capable and flexible, which makes it a bit complicated to configure. Proper configuration is the key.

It is a shame that you had it configured as an open relay. It is quite surprising how quickly the spam bots can find open relay IP addresses.

You used the term "pre-configured". There is no such thing for Mercury. It is up to you to determine which modules you need, and then to configure each of those according to your needs.

Mercury works fine connecting to Google via POP3. The following configurations on the Google side are required.

• POP3 must be enabled.
  • You must authenticate with a Google assigned app password.

I agree that support is limited. You are dependent on the Help files and the manual. This support forum is by volunteers. Forum members need a thorough explanation of what you are trying to accomplish, the specific problem you need help resolving, and what you have done so far to troubleshoot it.

[quote="pid:55753, uid:39252"]DOES THIS SOFTWARE WORK AT ALL?????[/quote] If you are referring to the Mercury Mail Transport System software, it works great. It is very capable and flexible, which makes it a bit complicated to configure. Proper configuration is the key. It is a shame that you had it configured as an open relay. It is quite surprising how quickly the spam bots can find open relay IP addresses. You used the term "pre-configured". There is no such thing for Mercury. It is up to you to determine which modules you need, and then to configure each of those according to your needs. Mercury works fine connecting to Google via POP3. The following configurations on the Google side are required. - POP3 must be enabled. - You must authenticate with a Google assigned app password. I agree that support is limited. You are dependent on the Help files and the manual. This support forum is by volunteers. Forum members need a thorough explanation of what you are trying to accomplish, the specific problem you need help resolving, and what you have done so far to troubleshoot it.

We have no control of the preconfigured settings that comes with the xampp distribution. I'm afraid they may be severely flawed.

We have no control of the preconfigured settings that comes with the xampp distribution. I'm afraid they may be severely flawed.

Mercury works fine connecting to Google via POP3.

Well it doesn't connect well via SMTP! I keep getting TCP/IP errors.

Secondly when GOOGLE tries to connect to MERCURY (not the other way round as you suggest) their gmail web interface complains that it cannot establish a connection - even though my outlook (2003) can. But my friends device couldn't connect with a newer outlook and neither could his gmail. Very odd.

As for having to configure users twice - once for a mailbox and then again for relaying, that's just backwards. Not wanting to offend anyone but its true. The whole idea in programming is to avoid data duplication. A simple checkbox on the user editor allowing them to relay mail would have been great.

The manual is also confusing - authenticated connections can relay... but then only authenticated users can relay... so.. what does that mean? authenticated users can relay if its checked but otherwise only spammers can? lol. So not only does the manual need to be a bit clearer, it also needs to be shorter.

The interface is odd too. Quit it and you can run it as a service.. but to make changes you need to stop the service (thus no mail transfer) and run it as a GUI. That's old-skool! It needs to run as a service 24/7 and have a TCP admin program that connects to it instead.

Of course it doesn't help that the help files don't work on anything past WinXP.

it works great. It is very capable and flexible

Think I'll differ on your view with all respect. It may work great in your eyes but to me it doesn't. I wrote my own SMTP server a while back, it didn't have all the bells and whistles and is nowhere near being ready for a live environment but it worked out of the box with minimal fuss. What i do like about Mercury though is the extensive list of rules / actions. Even though the one this topic is about doesn't work, it's better than those on hmailserver.

[quote="pid:55756, uid:28772"]Mercury works fine connecting to Google via POP3.[/quote] Well it doesn't connect well via SMTP! I keep getting TCP/IP errors. Secondly when GOOGLE tries to connect to MERCURY (not the other way round as you suggest) their gmail web interface complains that it cannot establish a connection - even though my outlook (2003) can. But my friends device couldn't connect with a newer outlook and neither could his gmail. Very odd. As for having to configure users twice - once for a mailbox and then again for relaying, that's just backwards. Not wanting to offend anyone but its true. The whole idea in programming is to avoid data duplication. A simple checkbox on the user editor allowing them to relay mail would have been great. The manual is also confusing - authenticated connections can relay... but then only authenticated users can relay... so.. what does that mean? authenticated users can relay if its checked but otherwise only spammers can? lol. So not only does the manual need to be a bit clearer, it also needs to be shorter. The interface is odd too. Quit it and you can run it as a service.. but to make changes you need to stop the service (thus no mail transfer) and run it as a GUI. That's old-skool! It needs to run as a service 24/7 and have a TCP admin program that connects to it instead. Of course it doesn't help that the help files don't work on anything past WinXP. [quote="pid:55756, uid:28772"]it works great. It is very capable and flexible[/quote] Think I'll differ on your view with all respect. It may work great in your eyes but to me it doesn't. I wrote my own SMTP server a while back, it didn't have all the bells and whistles and is nowhere near being ready for a live environment but it worked out of the box with minimal fuss. What i do like about Mercury though is the extensive list of rules / actions. Even though the one this topic is about doesn't work, it's better than those on hmailserver.

Pre-configured it is designed to get a servers IP blacklisted for spamming. I came home to find over 15k emails have gone through it in just 1 day.

From the XAMPP website's FAQs

Is XAMPP production ready?

XAMPP is not meant for production use but only for development environments. XAMPP is configured to be open as possible to allow the developer anything he/she wants. For development environments, this is great but in a production environment, it could be fatal.

I think, that says it all.

[quote="pid:55752, uid:39252"]Pre-configured it is designed to get a servers IP blacklisted for spamming. I came home to find over 15k emails have gone through it in just 1 day.[/quote] From the XAMPP website's FAQs Is XAMPP production ready? XAMPP is not meant for production use but only for development environments. **XAMPP is configured to be open as possible** to allow the developer anything he/she wants. For development environments, this is great but in a production environment, it could be fatal. I think, that says it all.
edited Aug 16 '23 at 3:51 am
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft