Community Discussions and Support
Pmail 4.81GMAIL via POP with 2 or more computes

Using Beta 4.81 SMTP/OAUTH2 with Gmail Identity configured for POP mail retrieval.

Two computers, both with Pmail configured the same - using the SMTP/OAUTH2 feature. Both are set to NOT delete emails from the server after downloading them. Gmail account is set to enable POP.

I receive an email(s) at my gmail account and then use pmail to download it on computer A. When I go to download my emails using computer B it does not download the emails that I just downloaded to computer A. The message is still in my Gmail inbox as unread.

I use POP to download messages to several computers (could be my travel laptop, my home laptop, my home computer, etc) until I login via a webmail app and delete the message from the server. Only an issue with Gmail, not in other email accounts such as Spectrum, Comcast, etc

Any ideas?

Using Beta 4.81 SMTP/OAUTH2 with Gmail Identity configured for POP mail retrieval. Two computers, both with Pmail configured the same - using the SMTP/OAUTH2 feature. Both are set to NOT delete emails from the server after downloading them. Gmail account is set to enable POP. I receive an email(s) at my gmail account and then use pmail to download it on computer A. When I go to download my emails using computer B it does not download the emails that I just downloaded to computer A. The message is still in my Gmail inbox as unread. I use POP to download messages to several computers (could be my travel laptop, my home laptop, my home computer, etc) until I login via a webmail app and delete the message from the server. Only an issue with Gmail, not in other email accounts such as Spectrum, Comcast, etc Any ideas?

There was a discussion about this recently. I don't recall if it was here or on the listserv support list but your experience and frustration was shared by others. The only thing we could figure is that Gmail keeps track of messages retrieved via POP3 in such a way that they are not retrievable again. Tests to try to re-download mail failed. Logically, there should be a Gmail configuration setting that would allow control of this but no joy in finding one. Connecting via IMAP with secondary computers seems the only option.

There was a discussion about this recently. I don't recall if it was here or on the listserv support list but your experience and frustration was shared by others. The only thing we could figure is that Gmail keeps track of messages retrieved via POP3 in such a way that they are not retrievable again. Tests to try to re-download mail failed. Logically, there should be a Gmail configuration setting that would allow control of this but no joy in finding one. Connecting via IMAP with secondary computers seems the only option.

Brian - thanks for the reply. Think I figured it out. Found something on the Gmail settings info about using POP for multiple computers. For you email address you have to add "recent:" in front of it. So if your email address is brian@gmail.com you need to change it to recent:brian@gmail.com Of course if your using the new SMTP/OAUTH2 version of the 4.81 Beta version of Pmail this means you need to delete your receiving mail config and redo it as you can't edit it. Pain if you have a few indenities and several comuters. Any chance you know how to copy the Idenity and config info from one computer to another?

Brian - thanks for the reply. Think I figured it out. Found something on the Gmail settings info about using POP for multiple computers. For you email address you have to add "recent:" in front of it. So if your email address is brian@gmail.com you need to change it to recent:brian@gmail.com Of course if your using the new SMTP/OAUTH2 version of the 4.81 Beta version of Pmail this means you need to delete your receiving mail config and redo it as you can't edit it. Pain if you have a few indenities and several comuters. Any chance you know how to copy the Idenity and config info from one computer to another?

Found something on the Gmail settings info about using POP for multiple computers. For you email address you have to add "recent:" in front of it. So if your email address is brian@gmail.com you need to change it to recent:brian@gmail.com

Cool. I need to look into this further. Please provide the URL to the resource where you found this info if you can.

Of course if your using the new SMTP/OAUTH2 version of the 4.81 Beta version of Pmail this means you need to delete your receiving mail config and redo it as you can't edit it.

Yup. I know that it is dependent on the Gmail OAUTH2 profile. There may be a modify protection requirement by Google.

Any chance you know how to copy the Idenity and config info from one computer to another?

I don't. I know that Identity information is stored in individual sections of the PMAIL.INI file. In theory, modifying the .INI appropriately should work but I have never tried it.

The Gmail OAUTH2 functionality is dependent on a profile that is stored in an \OAUTH2 directory of the mailbox. I gets modified frequently but I don't what the mods are. I suspect that profile is device specific. If it is, then any associated .PND file will be as well. Manual configuration would then be your only option.

[quote="pid:55705, uid:38998"]Found something on the Gmail settings info about using POP for multiple computers. For you email address you have to add "recent:" in front of it. So if your email address is brian@gmail.com you need to change it to recent:brian@gmail.com[/quote] Cool. I need to look into this further. Please provide the URL to the resource where you found this info if you can. [quote="pid:55705, uid:38998"]Of course if your using the new SMTP/OAUTH2 version of the 4.81 Beta version of Pmail this means you need to delete your receiving mail config and redo it as you can't edit it.[/quote] Yup. I know that it is dependent on the Gmail OAUTH2 profile. There may be a modify protection requirement by Google. [quote="pid:55705, uid:38998"]Any chance you know how to copy the Idenity and config info from one computer to another?[/quote] I don't. I know that Identity information is stored in individual sections of the PMAIL.INI file. In theory, modifying the .INI appropriately should work but I have never tried it. The Gmail OAUTH2 functionality is dependent on a profile that is stored in an \OAUTH2 directory of the mailbox. I gets modified frequently but I don't what the mods are. I suspect that profile is device specific. If it is, then any associated .PND file will be as well. Manual configuration would then be your only option.

I suspect that profile is device specific.

Me too, tried to look it up and here's something I found - if anyone can make sense of it: https://developers.google.com/identity/protocols/oauth2/cross-client-identity. Or maybe take it as a starting point for further evaluation.

[quote="pid:55706, uid:28772"]I suspect that profile is device specific.[/quote] Me too, tried to look it up and here's something I found - if anyone can make sense of it: https://developers.google.com/identity/protocols/oauth2/cross-client-identity. Or maybe take it as a starting point for further evaluation.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

Brian - the ULR is
I want to download emails on multiple email clients

Gmail account - settings - Forwarding and POP/IMAP - Click on Learn More on left of screen - scroll down to Troubleshoot Problems - Click on "I want to download emails on multiple email clients"

If you need to use POP instead of IMAP, set up "Recent mode." Recent mode shows your last 30 days of emails from Gmail.
Step 1: Turn on Recent mode

In your email client's POP settings page, find the "Email address" or "User name" field.
Add recent: in front of your email address. For example, recent:example@gmail.com.

Step 2: Change your POP settings

Change your POP settings so that your emails are left on the server.

Brian - the ULR is [I want to download emails on multiple email clients ](https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en&visit_id=638267585062086061-3883092177&rd=3#zippy=%2Ci-want-to-download-emails-on-multiple-email-clients) Gmail account - settings - Forwarding and POP/IMAP - Click on Learn More on left of screen - scroll down to Troubleshoot Problems - Click on "I want to download emails on multiple email clients" If you need to use POP instead of IMAP, set up "Recent mode." Recent mode shows your last 30 days of emails from Gmail. Step 1: Turn on Recent mode In your email client's POP settings page, find the "Email address" or "User name" field. Add recent: in front of your email address. For example, recent:example@gmail.com. Step 2: Change your POP settings Change your POP settings so that your emails are left on the server.

Thanks Bob! Is it working for you? If so, I am going to make note of it with credit to you for figuring it out.

I have not had success with it yet. The Gmail account that I am working with is configured to archive messages once retrieved via POP3, which empties the inbox after each retrieval. I used the web interface to mark some messages as unread and moved them to the inbox but they aren't seen by Pegasus Mail when using the "recent:" prefix. The instructions say that 'Recent mode' will show the last 30 days but doesn't say whether they must be in the inbox. Another unknown is whether Gmail considers a message as 'new' if it has been marked as unread and moved to the inbox. I will be thinkin' on this and messin' with it as I think of things to try.

Thanks Bob! Is it working for you? If so, I am going to make note of it with credit to you for figuring it out. I have not had success with it yet. The Gmail account that I am working with is configured to archive messages once retrieved via POP3, which empties the inbox after each retrieval. I used the web interface to mark some messages as unread and moved them to the inbox but they aren't seen by Pegasus Mail when using the "recent:" prefix. The instructions say that 'Recent mode' will show the last 30 days but doesn't say whether they must be in the inbox. Another unknown is whether Gmail considers a message as 'new' if it has been marked as unread and moved to the inbox. I will be thinkin' on this and messin' with it as I think of things to try.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/fwdandpop

Shows
Tip: You can also forward only some of your mail by creating a filter!
POP download:
Learn more
1. Status: POP is enabled for all mail
[These shows for radio buttons, but on mine none are checked?]
Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded)
Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on
Disable POP

2. When messages are accessed with POP
Default option shows Archive Gmail'
s copy
Other options.
Keep Gmails Copy in inbox
Mark Gmails Copy as read.
archive Gmail's Copy
delete Gmail'
s Copy

3. Configure your email client (e.g. Outlook, Eudora, Netscape Mail)
Configuration instructions

Don't know if those settings might change the way it works??

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/fwdandpop ```` Shows Tip: You can also forward only some of your mail by creating a filter! POP download: Learn more 1. Status: POP is enabled for all mail [These shows for radio buttons, but on mine none are checked?] Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded) Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on Disable POP 2. When messages are accessed with POP Default option shows Archive Gmail's copy Other options. Keep Gmails Copy in inbox Mark Gmails Copy as read. archive Gmail's Copy delete Gmail's Copy 3. Configure your email client (e.g. Outlook, Eudora, Netscape Mail) Configuration instructions ```` Don't know if those settings might change the way it works??

mikes@guam.net

msetzerii

Been testing this evening as has Brian. I know he is going to continue testing tomorrow so this is what I have seen.

First - on what you show on that link. Perhaps you changed your setting at some point and that is what you see, but my default is "Keep Gmails Copy in inbox"

Quick recap of what I have found testing. I am using Beta 4.81 configured for POP and SMTP configured using the "gmail" icon to aquire the token from Gmail and generate the POP and SMTP configs. Only a single Gmail email address per Idenity!

Sending and email from Pmail using a Gmail idenity results in a copy of the sent email bing put into the Gmail Sent folder on their server. You have to login to Gmail with a brower to see it in the Sent Folder.

If you want to be able to download emails via POP to multiple computers you need to modify you email address using Gmail's recent activity option (add recentsmile to the front of your email address - recent:msetzerii@gmail.com as example and regenerate your POP and SMTP configs.

After you do that you can download via POP to mulitple computers, but there is a catch. It appears that Gmail treats all emails as being in a giant Inbox. When you move a message into a folder you created (technically a Label in Gmail speak) it still sees it as new activity. So - if you send an email to somebody with Pmail, it places a copy of that message into your sent folder on Gmail. But - since it treats it as new activity, the next time you check your emails using Pmail, it will download that sent message.

I also tested sending an email to my Gmail account from my Xfinity email address using their web browser mail client. After I received it in Gmail, I moved it to a folder (label) so it was no longer in my Inbox. Then downloaded my mail with Pmail - it downloaded the message that I had moved.

Once again - this is what I have have found and have duplicated numerous times today - using 4.81 beta and the Gmail Recent Activity option.

msetzerii Been testing this evening as has Brian. I know he is going to continue testing tomorrow so this is what I have seen. First - on what you show on that link. Perhaps you changed your setting at some point and that is what you see, but my default is "Keep Gmails Copy in inbox" Quick recap of what I have found testing. I am using Beta 4.81 configured for POP and SMTP configured using the "gmail" icon to aquire the token from Gmail and generate the POP and SMTP configs. Only a single Gmail email address per Idenity! Sending and email from Pmail using a Gmail idenity results in a copy of the sent email bing put into the Gmail Sent folder on their server. You have to login to Gmail with a brower to see it in the Sent Folder. If you want to be able to download emails via POP to multiple computers you need to modify you email address using Gmail's recent activity option (add recent:) to the front of your email address - recent:msetzerii@gmail.com as example and regenerate your POP and SMTP configs. After you do that you can download via POP to mulitple computers, but there is a catch. It appears that Gmail treats all emails as being in a giant Inbox. When you move a message into a folder you created (technically a Label in Gmail speak) it still sees it as new activity. So - if you send an email to somebody with Pmail, it places a copy of that message into your sent folder on Gmail. But - since it treats it as new activity, the next time you check your emails using Pmail, it will download that sent message. I also tested sending an email to my Gmail account from my Xfinity email address using their web browser mail client. After I received it in Gmail, I moved it to a folder (label) so it was no longer in my Inbox. Then downloaded my mail with Pmail - it downloaded the message that I had moved. Once again - this is what I have have found and have duplicated numerous times today - using 4.81 beta and the Gmail Recent Activity option.

I'm still using app password method, and have Pegasus set to delete mail after downloading.
Logged in via browser and have no email in inbox, nothing in sent, and only 35 were in spam folder.

About 2 1/2 years ago, I setup the app password, since was having issues with connection. Think it was also, since Pegasus had older SSL files. Switched to using Stunnel to make the encrypted connection, so Pegasus connects to local port with stunnel doing encryption.

[gmailpop]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:20995
connect = pop.gmail.com:995
debug = 3

[gmailsmtp]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:20465
connect = smtp.gmail.com:465
debug = 3

Uses openssl1.1-1.1.1q-2

So, haven't tried the new authO2 process yet.
Pegasus connects thru the local 127.0.0.1 ports
so uses the Linux 64 bit openssl via stunnel.

Don't recall setting any option on Gmail other than activating the POP/SMTP many many years ago.
Had my local ISPs email going back to the late 80s, so gmail is my only other email at moment.

I'm still using app password method, and have Pegasus set to delete mail after downloading. Logged in via browser and have no email in inbox, nothing in sent, and only 35 were in spam folder. About 2 1/2 years ago, I setup the app password, since was having issues with connection. Think it was also, since Pegasus had older SSL files. Switched to using Stunnel to make the encrypted connection, so Pegasus connects to local port with stunnel doing encryption. [gmailpop] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20995 connect = pop.gmail.com:995 debug = 3 [gmailsmtp] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20465 connect = smtp.gmail.com:465 debug = 3 Uses openssl1.1-1.1.1q-2 So, haven't tried the new authO2 process yet. Pegasus connects thru the local 127.0.0.1 ports so uses the Linux 64 bit openssl via stunnel. Don't recall setting any option on Gmail other than activating the POP/SMTP many many years ago. Had my local ISPs email going back to the late 80s, so gmail is my only other email at moment.

mikes@guam.net

I am going to have to drop this for now. I lost a brother to cancer last night. I'm sitting here numb, using the computer as a distraction.

Bob, thanks for all of your testing. I will try to digest it and then pass it on to the beta test team when I can.

I am going to have to drop this for now. I lost a brother to cancer last night. I'm sitting here numb, using the computer as a distraction. Bob, thanks for all of your testing. I will try to digest it and then pass it on to the beta test team when I can.

So sorry to hear this sad news Brian.

Everything is working the way it should (for my needs) and I can download via POP to multiple computers. The fact that Gmail treats the sent folder as recent activity and presents it to Pmail to download is a surprise, but a plus in my mind.

If you need anything more testing or clearer details on what I sent you just reach out.

Be well and cherish the memories

So sorry to hear this sad news Brian. Everything is working the way it should (for my needs) and I can download via POP to multiple computers. The fact that Gmail treats the sent folder as recent activity and presents it to Pmail to download is a surprise, but a plus in my mind. If you need anything more testing or clearer details on what I sent you just reach out. Be well and cherish the memories
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft