Community Discussions and Support
Import email folders from Thunderbird?

I've tried several ways to import all my existing emails from Thunderbird, and none work very well; copying the Thunderbird active profile folders and adding ".mbx" to each worked the best, but I wind up with a bunch of mail folders in PMail, all with the .mbx extension in the folder name in stead of just the name. Any suggestions?

I've tried several ways to import all my existing emails from Thunderbird, and none work very well; copying the Thunderbird active profile folders and adding ".mbx" to each worked the best, but I wind up with a bunch of mail folders in PMail, all with the .mbx extension in the folder name in stead of just the name. Any suggestions?

Did a test to convert MBX folder to PMM folder thru a basic process, but don't know exactly how many folders you are talking about or if Thunderbird uses standard mbx format?

So, this might be totally worthless, but might work?
Make sure to backup everything before attempting it.
And others might have better options..

Make sure you fully understand process.

Test of conversion of MBX to PMM
This was a quick test, so might work and might not.
Don't have Thunderbird MBX file, so tested using Pegasus created MBX file.
Pegasus PMM folder file seems to be a standard MBX file, but it has a 128 byte addition
at the front of file containing long folder name and unique id. Has some other things,
but not well documented. So just used Pegasus to create a new empty folder.
Then added contents.

Created a new Folder with Name of AAAAAAAA
Created 128 byte file FOL003CF.PMM
Has folder name at begining followed by number of Null, and then Unique folder name.

AAAAAAAA GZE3YXY9:6D00:FOL003CF

Had earlier used Pegasus to create a new folder using Unix Type
Copied one message into it as test.

1341 Aug 11 05:53 UNX07DCE.MBX
320 Aug 11 06:02 UNX07DCE.PMG

Combined contents of FOL003CF.PMM and UNX07DCE.MBX
type UNX07DCE.MBX >>FOL003CF.PMM

Then have
8/11/2023 7:03 AM 0 FOL003CF.PMI
8/11/2023 7:14 AM 1,469 FOL003CF.PMM

Opened Pegasus and did reindex on AAAAAAAA Folder since index is empty, but PMM file has message.
Then Folder AAAAAAAA has contents of MBX folder as a standard Pegasus PMM file?

Did a test to convert MBX folder to PMM folder thru a basic process, but don't know exactly how many folders you are talking about or if Thunderbird uses standard mbx format? So, this might be totally worthless, but might work? Make sure to backup everything before attempting it. And others might have better options.. Make sure you fully understand process. ```` Test of conversion of MBX to PMM This was a quick test, so might work and might not. Don't have Thunderbird MBX file, so tested using Pegasus created MBX file. Pegasus PMM folder file seems to be a standard MBX file, but it has a 128 byte addition at the front of file containing long folder name and unique id. Has some other things, but not well documented. So just used Pegasus to create a new empty folder. Then added contents. Created a new Folder with Name of AAAAAAAA Created 128 byte file FOL003CF.PMM Has folder name at begining followed by number of Null, and then Unique folder name. AAAAAAAA GZE3YXY9:6D00:FOL003CF Had earlier used Pegasus to create a new folder using Unix Type Copied one message into it as test. 1341 Aug 11 05:53 UNX07DCE.MBX 320 Aug 11 06:02 UNX07DCE.PMG Combined contents of FOL003CF.PMM and UNX07DCE.MBX type UNX07DCE.MBX >>FOL003CF.PMM Then have 8/11/2023 7:03 AM 0 FOL003CF.PMI 8/11/2023 7:14 AM 1,469 FOL003CF.PMM Opened Pegasus and did reindex on AAAAAAAA Folder since index is empty, but PMM file has message. Then Folder AAAAAAAA has contents of MBX folder as a standard Pegasus PMM file? ````

mikes@guam.net

I am very short on time so can't delve into the details but look at the top paragraph on page 49 of the manual. The concept is that you copy the TB profile folders to a directory which you then add to the Pegasus Mail folder list as an added directory (you might have to add each profile folder as an added directory). If Pegasus Mail can read it, you can then copy from the added mailbox to local folders. Keep in mind that you can not do any copying or moving at the folder level. You must create the destination folder in "My mailbox" and then copy messages to it.

I am very short on time so can't delve into the details but look at the top paragraph on page 49 of the manual. The concept is that you copy the TB profile folders to a directory which you then add to the Pegasus Mail folder list as an added directory (you might have to add each profile folder as an added directory). If Pegasus Mail can read it, you can then copy from the added mailbox to local folders. Keep in mind that you can not do any copying or moving at the folder level. You must create the destination folder in "My mailbox" and then copy messages to it.

OK, thanks to you both (msetzerii & Brian Fluet). I'll give both a try. No problem; I can't lose the data since it's still available in T'Bird. And if it gets totally hosed I can reinstall Pegasus and start over. :-)

OK, thanks to you both (msetzerii & Brian Fluet). I'll give both a try. No problem; I can't lose the data since it's still available in T'Bird. And if it gets totally hosed I can reinstall Pegasus and start over. :-)

Just for the fun of it wrote a little cpp program to see if I could automate the process.
Program isn't pretty, and did grab little bits of code to generate random strings for id.
It also requires the filename to be 8 characters with .MBX extension.
So, not sure what kind of names Thunderbird usings.

#include <cstring>
#include <string>
#include <stdlib.h> /* srand, rand */
#include <ostream>

using namespace std;
string RandomString(int len)
{
string str = "0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ";
string newstr;
int pos;
while((int)newstr.size() != len) {
pos = ((rand() % (str.size() - 1)));
newstr += str.substr(pos,1);
}
return newstr;
}

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
FILE *fp1,*fp2;
char begin[128];
char filename[13]="",id[30]="";
char *p1,c;
int i;
string random_str;
strcpy(filename,argv[1]);
fp2=fopen(filename,"rb+");
for(i=0;i<128;i++)
begin[i]=0;
for(i=0;i<8;i++)
begin[i]=filename[i];
srand(time(0));
random_str = RandomString(8);
strcpy(id,random_str.c_str());
strcat(id,":");
random_str = RandomString(4);
strcat(id,random_str.c_str());
strcat(id,":");
strcat(id,filename);
p1=strchr(id,'.');
*p1=0;
printf("%s\n",id);
for(i=86;i<109;i++)
begin[i]=id[i-86];
p1=strchr(filename,'.');
strcpy(p1,".PMM");
printf("%s\n",filename);
if((fp1=fopen(filename,"wb+")))
{
for(i=0;i<128;i++)
fputc(begin[i],fp1);
}
while((c=fgetc(fp2)))
{
if(c==EOF) break;
fputc(c,fp1);
}
fclose(fp1);
fclose(fp2);
return(0);
}

Compiled Linux Program
15304 Aug 11 12:43 mbxtopmm
Compile Windows version using ming compiler
44032 Aug 11 12:43 mbxtopmm.exe

./mbxtopmm UNX07DCE.MBX

With Pegasus created MBX file it has PMG file that has info that could be used to create beginning part of PMM file, but don't know if that is standard with MBX or a Pegasus special file??

1341 Aug 11 05:53 UNX07DCE.MBX
320 Aug 11 06:02 UNX07DCE.PMG
118 Aug 11 12:27 UNX07DCE.PMI
1469 Aug 11 12:30 UNX07DCE.PMM

Program creates the PMM file, and opening Pegasus and then reindexing it creates PMI file.

Interesting... Good Luck.

Just for the fun of it wrote a little cpp program to see if I could automate the process. Program isn&#039;t pretty, and did grab little bits of code to generate random strings for id. It also requires the filename to be 8 characters with .MBX extension. So, not sure what kind of names Thunderbird usings. ```` #include &lt;cstring&gt; #include &lt;string&gt; #include &lt;stdlib.h&gt; /* srand, rand */ #include &lt;ostream&gt; using namespace std; string RandomString(int len) { string str = &quot;0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ&quot;; string newstr; int pos; while((int)newstr.size() != len) { pos = ((rand() % (str.size() - 1))); newstr += str.substr(pos,1); } return newstr; } int main(int argc, char* argv[]) { FILE *fp1,*fp2; char begin[128]; char filename[13]=&quot;&quot;,id[30]=&quot;&quot;; char *p1,c; int i; string random_str; strcpy(filename,argv[1]); fp2=fopen(filename,&quot;rb+&quot;); for(i=0;i&lt;128;i++) begin[i]=0; for(i=0;i&lt;8;i++) begin[i]=filename[i]; srand(time(0)); random_str = RandomString(8); strcpy(id,random_str.c_str()); strcat(id,&quot;:&quot;); random_str = RandomString(4); strcat(id,random_str.c_str()); strcat(id,&quot;:&quot;); strcat(id,filename); p1=strchr(id,&#039;.&#039;); *p1=0; printf(&quot;%s\n&quot;,id); for(i=86;i&lt;109;i++) begin[i]=id[i-86]; p1=strchr(filename,&#039;.&#039;); strcpy(p1,&quot;.PMM&quot;); printf(&quot;%s\n&quot;,filename); if((fp1=fopen(filename,&quot;wb+&quot;))) { for(i=0;i&lt;128;i++) fputc(begin[i],fp1); } while((c=fgetc(fp2))) { if(c==EOF) break; fputc(c,fp1); } fclose(fp1); fclose(fp2); return(0); } ```` Compiled Linux Program 15304 Aug 11 12:43 mbxtopmm Compile Windows version using ming compiler 44032 Aug 11 12:43 mbxtopmm.exe ./mbxtopmm UNX07DCE.MBX With Pegasus created MBX file it has PMG file that has info that could be used to create beginning part of PMM file, but don&#039;t know if that is standard with MBX or a Pegasus special file?? 1341 Aug 11 05:53 UNX07DCE.MBX 320 Aug 11 06:02 UNX07DCE.PMG 118 Aug 11 12:27 UNX07DCE.PMI 1469 Aug 11 12:30 UNX07DCE.PMM Program creates the PMM file, and opening Pegasus and then reindexing it creates PMI file. Interesting... Good Luck.

mikes@guam.net

Sounds like it should work (been a long time since I did anything in and version of C). Unfortunately all but a couple of the T'Bird folders are more than 8 characters, so I'd have to rename everything to try it, but thanks again.

Sounds like it should work (been a *long* time since I did anything in and version of C). Unfortunately all but a couple of the T&#039;Bird folders are more than 8 characters, so I&#039;d have to rename everything to try it, but thanks again.

Don't know what names look like for Thunderbird for the MBOX files.
With Pegasus it created

UNX07DCE.MBX and the beginning looks like this with the default Pegasus message.

From ???@??? Fri Aug 11 05:53:20 2023
From: Pegasus Mail Technical Support support@pmail.gen.nz
To: New Pegasus Mail User <Admin>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:54:20 +1200
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: About this folder
Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT
Content-description: Mail message body

Have the files in my ftp folder if you want to download.
Or could send me an email at mikes at guam.net and I could email the source and exe file.
Don't know if you have a cpp compiler handy, have sent the ming exe files to others using windows and they have worked fine.

Seems Pegasus can actually work with longer file names, since I have a folder I renamed to 9.3 name, and it worked. But going back to old DOS version of Pegasus it had to use the 8.3.

Would recommend copy files to a different directory, with renaming to 8.3 names.
Then could run test to make the PMM files. Then should just copy PMM files to Pegasus, and right click and have it reindex to create the PMI index file.

You could also create a dummy folder in Thunderbird with a test message, and email it to me, and I could test the conversion. Seems there are 4 versions of MBOX format, but seems only minor differences between them. Don't know if the one Pegasus uses is same as Thunderbird, or at least fully compatible...

Interesting to find out. Just something to play with.. Know there is windows version of ming compiler, but been a long time since I played with windows.

Good Luck.

Don&#039;t know what names look like for Thunderbird for the MBOX files. With Pegasus it created UNX07DCE.MBX and the beginning looks like this with the default Pegasus message. From ???@??? Fri Aug 11 05:53:20 2023 From: Pegasus Mail Technical Support &lt;support@pmail.gen.nz&gt; To: New Pegasus Mail User &lt;Admin&gt; Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:54:20 +1200 MIME-Version: 1.0 Subject: About this folder Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT Content-description: Mail message body Have the files in my ftp folder if you want to download. Or could send me an email at mikes at guam.net and I could email the source and exe file. Don&#039;t know if you have a cpp compiler handy, have sent the ming exe files to others using windows and they have worked fine. Seems Pegasus can actually work with longer file names, since I have a folder I renamed to 9.3 name, and it worked. But going back to old DOS version of Pegasus it had to use the 8.3. Would recommend copy files to a different directory, with renaming to 8.3 names. Then could run test to make the PMM files. Then should just copy PMM files to Pegasus, and right click and have it reindex to create the PMI index file. You could also create a dummy folder in Thunderbird with a test message, and email it to me, and I could test the conversion. Seems there are 4 versions of MBOX format, but seems only minor differences between them. Don&#039;t know if the one Pegasus uses is same as Thunderbird, or at least fully compatible... Interesting to find out. Just something to play with.. Know there is windows version of ming compiler, but been a long time since I played with windows. Good Luck.

mikes@guam.net

Looked at some other options.
Don't believe this site allow binary files, so the exe or 7z files wouldn't work.

44032 Aug 12 14:29 mbxtopmm.exe
19101 Aug 12 14:30 mbxtopmm.7z
But converting the compressed 7z file to base64 might.
25804 Aug 12 14:31 mbxtopmm.7z.base64
Makes a 336 Line file, but don't know if that would be within the limit of this site for size or length.

The regular listserver allows up to about 500+ lines.
But haven't tried.

Or downloading the ming from https://www.mingw-w64.org/ site and just compile source code.

Looked at some other options. Don&#039;t believe this site allow binary files, so the exe or 7z files wouldn&#039;t work. 44032 Aug 12 14:29 mbxtopmm.exe 19101 Aug 12 14:30 mbxtopmm.7z But converting the compressed 7z file to base64 might. 25804 Aug 12 14:31 mbxtopmm.7z.base64 Makes a 336 Line file, but don&#039;t know if that would be within the limit of this site for size or length. The regular listserver allows up to about 500+ lines. But haven&#039;t tried. Or downloading the ming from https://www.mingw-w64.org/ site and just compile source code.

mikes@guam.net

Based on my research, Thunderbird can export emails to an MBOX file. Adding the directory containing the MBOX file(s) as an added mailbox should then work.

https://turgs.com/blog/export-thunderbird-emails-to-mbox-file/

Based on my research, Thunderbird can export emails to an MBOX file. Adding the directory containing the MBOX file(s) as an added mailbox should then work. https://turgs.com/blog/export-thunderbird-emails-to-mbox-file/

For details about the MBOX format see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox.
And yes, Pegasus Mail can read them if sticking to the main rule ( the one with the "From_ line" ).

For details about the MBOX format see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox. And yes, Pegasus Mail can read them if sticking to the main rule ( the one with the &quot;From_ line&quot; ).
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Aug 12 '23 at 5:58 pm

msetzerii - I haven't done any programming since I retired in '06 (and that was mostly Fortran 77 on an HP1000 that ran radar systems test sets at [Big Defense Contractor]), I have no idea what a ming is, and I have no way to compile anything even if I did remember how. But thanks for the effort.

Brian - That Turgs add-on was one of the first things I found and tried to use. Unfortunately it seems to be based on an old version of T'Bird; the latest one has no "All Mail" option. I was able to work around that, but the "Options" in the add-on don't seem to work; as an example, selecting "add .mbx" to exported files/folders does nothing. From what I can tell I'd still have to add the extension to each folder so that PMail will see it, and then I'm basically left with the same issue of all folders in the list showing the extension, which is what I got by doing manually the same thing as the add-on is supposed to do. That works, but it's ugly. Also, the "Add Mailbox to list..." option in PMail doesn't seem to do anything; I picked the "path" option to the "Mail\Local Folders" directory in my T'Bird profile, named the new mailbox, and got zero result (which I sort of expected).

Since I'm using the new 4.81.1154 beta, I believe I'll wait for David's "official" release and try again; I'll use clunky old T'Bird until then. It's becoming slower crap with every update, but I can put up with it for now.

To everyone who tried to assist in this, thanks again.

msetzerii - I haven&#039;t done any programming since I retired in &#039;06 (and that was mostly Fortran 77 on an HP1000 that ran radar systems test sets at [Big Defense Contractor]), I have no idea what a ming is, and I have no way to compile anything even if I did remember how. But thanks for the effort. Brian - That Turgs add-on was one of the first things I found and tried to use. Unfortunately it seems to be based on an old version of T&#039;Bird; the latest one has no &quot;All Mail&quot; option. I was able to work around that, but the &quot;Options&quot; in the add-on don&#039;t seem to work; as an example, selecting &quot;add .mbx&quot; to exported files/folders does nothing. From what I can tell I&#039;d still have to add the extension to each folder so that PMail will see it, and then I&#039;m basically left with the same issue of all folders in the list showing the extension, which is what I got by doing manually the same thing as the add-on is *supposed* to do. That works, but it&#039;s ugly. Also, the &quot;Add Mailbox to list...&quot; option in PMail doesn&#039;t seem to do anything; I picked the &quot;path&quot; option to the &quot;Mail\Local Folders&quot; directory in my T&#039;Bird profile, named the new mailbox, and got zero result (which I sort of expected). Since I&#039;m using the new 4.81.1154 beta, I believe I&#039;ll wait for David&#039;s &quot;official&quot; release and try again; I&#039;ll use clunky old T&#039;Bird until then. It&#039;s becoming slower crap with every update, but I can put up with it for now. To everyone who tried to assist in this, thanks again.

Since I'm using the new 4.81.1154 beta, I believe I'll wait for David's "official" release and try again; I'll use clunky old T'Bird until then. It's becoming slower crap with every update, but I can put up with it for now.

Not necessary, there's an extension for exporting folders from Thunderbird, you just need to rename the MSF files it creates after doing so, it's called "ImportExportTools NG" and can be downloaded from
https://github.com/thundernest/import-export-tools-ng

I've just tested it and it works perfectly: If exporting a complete mailbox and renaming its MSF files to MBX you can add the directory containing them as an additional mailbox to Pegasus Mail and it will show each TB folder as a Pegasus Mail folder. Maybe there's even an option for having it create the proper filename extension as well, haven't checked yet.

[quote=&quot;pid:55740, uid:28082&quot;]Since I&#039;m using the new 4.81.1154 beta, I believe I&#039;ll wait for David&#039;s &quot;official&quot; release and try again; I&#039;ll use clunky old T&#039;Bird until then. It&#039;s becoming slower crap with every update, but I can put up with it for now.[/quote] Not necessary, there&#039;s an extension for exporting folders from Thunderbird, you just need to rename the MSF files it creates after doing so, it&#039;s called &quot;ImportExportTools NG&quot; and can be downloaded from https://github.com/thundernest/import-export-tools-ng I&#039;ve just tested it and it works perfectly: If exporting a complete mailbox and renaming its MSF files to MBX you can add the directory containing them as an additional mailbox to Pegasus Mail and it will show each TB folder as a Pegasus Mail folder. Maybe there&#039;s even an option for having it create the proper filename extension as well, haven&#039;t checked yet.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Aug 12 '23 at 8:49 pm

Thanks Michael. I just got it to work by manipulating files but an export utility is much better.

Bob, IIRC, when you add a directory as a mailbox, the path must not contain long directory names, spaces, or special characters. In my test I copied \INBOX to C:\Temp\TBird, renamed INBOX to INBOX.MBX, then added C:\Temp\TBird as an added mailbox.

Thanks Michael. I just got it to work by manipulating files but an export utility is much better. Bob, IIRC, when you add a directory as a mailbox, the path must not contain long directory names, spaces, or special characters. In my test I copied \INBOX to C:\Temp\TBird, renamed INBOX to INBOX.MBX, then added C:\Temp\TBird as an added mailbox.

Fortran 66 was my first language on an IBM 1130 with 4K Ram and Punched cards with teletype terminal with 5M removable disk back in mid 70's in high school. Was a 1963 machine, but only computer they had.. Also, had RPG II that I learned later. When I retired in 2017 was remotely using an IBM AS/400 with 48 CPUs and believe 2TB of Ram and huge disk setup of IBM University for a number of the classes I taught at Guam Community College. Things changed a lot over the years.

Linux includes lots of compilers, and mingw64 is a tool that lets one create windows exe files from same source code as the linux GNU compiler. So makes it simple.

Been doing a disk imaging project since 2004 that includes kernels built from source code, so like little projects as well. Taught like 7 languages over the years. So, sometimes just like to figure things out.

Good Luck on whichever route you take. It was fun to play with the problem. It was interesting, but I don't have info on Thunderbird's mbox files or native files. Just looked at the mbox files Pegasus creates, and then how to convert to the native PMM/PMI folder files.

Fortran 66 was my first language on an IBM 1130 with 4K Ram and Punched cards with teletype terminal with 5M removable disk back in mid 70&#039;s in high school. Was a 1963 machine, but only computer they had.. Also, had RPG II that I learned later. When I retired in 2017 was remotely using an IBM AS/400 with 48 CPUs and believe 2TB of Ram and huge disk setup of IBM University for a number of the classes I taught at Guam Community College. Things changed a lot over the years. Linux includes lots of compilers, and mingw64 is a tool that lets one create windows exe files from same source code as the linux GNU compiler. So makes it simple. Been doing a disk imaging project since 2004 that includes kernels built from source code, so like little projects as well. Taught like 7 languages over the years. So, sometimes just like to figure things out. Good Luck on whichever route you take. It was fun to play with the problem. It was interesting, but I don&#039;t have info on Thunderbird&#039;s mbox files or native files. Just looked at the mbox files Pegasus creates, and then how to convert to the native PMM/PMI folder files.

mikes@guam.net

In my test I copied \INBOX to C:\Temp\TBird, renamed INBOX to INBOX.MBX, then added C:\Temp\TBird as an added mailbox.

As an addition referring to this and with regard to my extension test: I took my INBOX folder which I'm only using via IMAP and it duplicates the whole IMAP folder structure like this (screenshot of PM's folder manager, no renamings attempted so far except for only the mailbox name):

64d804671606c

This was the contents of TB's local INBOX folder for this account, only the green folders containing messages: The converter actually issues a warning about only including the cached messages since there might be new ones available which haven't been cached yet.

PS: The easiest way to get what you want with "ImportExportTools NG" is (after installation, of course) to right click the mailbox or folder to export and then click through the items for the option which fits best - it's actually an extremely convenient tool!

[quote=&quot;pid:55742, uid:28772&quot;]In my test I copied \INBOX to C:\Temp\TBird, renamed INBOX to INBOX.MBX, then added C:\Temp\TBird as an added mailbox.[/quote] As an addition referring to this and with regard to my extension test: I took my INBOX folder which I&#039;m only using via IMAP and it duplicates the whole IMAP folder structure like this (screenshot of PM&#039;s folder manager, no renamings attempted so far except for only the mailbox name): ![64d804671606c](serve/attachment&amp;path=64d804671606c) This was the contents of TB&#039;s local INBOX folder for this account, only the green folders containing messages: The converter actually issues a warning about only including the _cached_ messages since there might be new ones available which haven&#039;t been cached yet. PS: The easiest way to get what you want with &quot;ImportExportTools NG&quot; is (after installation, of course) to right click the mailbox or folder to export and then click through the items for the option which fits best - it&#039;s actually an extremely convenient tool!
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
edited Aug 13 '23 at 12:28 am

Thanks, but I've tried that add-on, and got nowhere; see below.

Tried several paths:

1) From the "ImportExportTools NG" addon previously installed, using "Export all the folders" OR "Export all the folders (with structure)" - all .msf files are empty (not empty in T'Bird profile); all "no extension" files with the same names and sizes as in the T'Bird profile.
Change extensions of .msf files to .mbx and add as new mailbox in PMail - nothing shows up (no surprise, since the .msf files are empty).

2) Direct copy all .msf files and "no-extension" files with identical filenames to a test folder ("Local" in my case, in the PMail "Mail" folder), change .msf to .mbx and add "Local" as new mailbox - All show up in PMail as "[filename].mbx" and all are empty. Again, no surprise, since the actual data is in the "no extension" files, not in the .msf files; those are index files only. As an example:

Archive (no extension) - 874,323kB
Archive.msf - 496kB

3) I can make it work (sort of) by adding ".mbx" to the "no extension" files and copying them into the the Pmail "Admin" or "Mail\Local" (new mailbox) folder, but that results in the extension showing up in the PMail folder list; as I noted, ugly. And several folders are unopenable (via any copy method from T'Bird profile to PMail "Mail\Local"smile; they show up as names only in the "Folders" pane; no content. From double-clicking a sample bad folder:

"The folder 'Orders (Complete) & Receipts.mbx' is damaged and cannot be opened. Please right-click the folder and use the 'Reindex folder' option to attempt to repair it, then try opening it again."

No such option exists via right-click on the folder, or anywhere else; I don't remember if it was there in v.4.73.

Interestingly, I can remove the .mbx extension from the names of folders in the folder pane, and they don't disappear; maybe if I can get the defective folders fixed I'll be where I want to be and can drop T'Bird. But that won't happen until I'm sure it's all working OK, so I think my earlier choice was correct, to wait for the non-beta.

This is as much time as I'm willing to spend on this at the moment; again, thanks to all who tried to help.

Thanks, but I&#039;ve tried that add-on, and got nowhere; see below. Tried several paths: 1) From the &quot;ImportExportTools NG&quot; addon previously installed, using &quot;Export all the folders&quot; OR &quot;Export all the folders (with structure)&quot; - all .msf files are empty (not empty in T&#039;Bird profile); all &quot;no extension&quot; files with the same names and sizes as in the T&#039;Bird profile. Change extensions of .msf files to .mbx and add as new mailbox in PMail - nothing shows up (no surprise, since the .msf files are empty). 2) Direct copy all .msf files and &quot;no-extension&quot; files with identical filenames to a test folder (&quot;Local&quot; in my case, in the PMail &quot;Mail&quot; folder), change .msf to .mbx and add &quot;Local&quot; as new mailbox - All show up in PMail as &quot;[filename].mbx&quot; and all are empty. Again, no surprise, since the actual data is in the &quot;no extension&quot; files, not in the .msf files; those are index files only. As an example: Archive (no extension) - 874,323kB Archive.msf - 496kB 3) I can make it work (sort of) by adding &quot;.mbx&quot; to the &quot;no extension&quot; files and copying them into the the Pmail &quot;Admin&quot; or &quot;Mail\Local&quot; (new mailbox) folder, but that results in the extension showing up in the PMail folder list; as I noted, ugly. And several folders are unopenable (via any copy method from T&#039;Bird profile to PMail &quot;Mail\Local&quot;); they show up as names only in the &quot;Folders&quot; pane; no content. From double-clicking a sample bad folder: &quot;The folder &#039;Orders (Complete) &amp; Receipts.mbx&#039; is damaged and cannot be opened. Please right-click the folder and use the &#039;Reindex folder&#039; option to attempt to repair it, then try opening it again.&quot; No such option exists via right-click on the folder, or anywhere else; I don&#039;t remember if it was there in v.4.73. Interestingly, I can remove the .mbx extension from the names of folders in the folder pane, and they don&#039;t disappear; maybe if I can get the defective folders fixed I&#039;ll be where I want to be and can drop T&#039;Bird. But that won&#039;t happen until I&#039;m *sure* it&#039;s all working OK, so I think my earlier choice was correct, to wait for the non-beta. This is as much time as I&#039;m willing to spend on this at the moment; again, thanks to all who tried to help.

This is as much time as I'm willing to spend on this at the moment; again, thanks to all who tried to help.

Understood.

For anybody who tries this in the future, what worked for me was copying just the 'no extension' files to a directory, adding the .MBX extension to them, and then adding that directory as an added mailbox.

FWIW, I am surprised that the "import-export-tools-ng" tool exports as .msf files since those are index files to Thunderbird. Based on that, renaming .msf files to .mbx is surprising.

[quote=&quot;pid:55745, uid:28082&quot;]This is as much time as I&#039;m willing to spend on this at the moment; again, thanks to all who tried to help.[/quote] Understood. For anybody who tries this in the future, what worked for me was copying just the &#039;no extension&#039; files to a directory, adding the .MBX extension to them, and then adding that directory as an added mailbox. FWIW, I am surprised that the &quot;import-export-tools-ng&quot; tool exports as .msf files since those are index files to Thunderbird. Based on that, renaming .msf files to .mbx is surprising.

Renaming the .msf files was a suggestion from Michael yesterday; see above. The tool doesn't really seem to be adapted to exporting for a different client; the "Export" at the folder level seems to work more as a backup for T'Bird than for transfer.

As I noted in my last post, the method you described is the only one which came close to working; my problem there is that PMail saw a bunch of the mail folders as "damaged" (tried it three times, with individual "bad" folders), even though T'Bird uses them just fine. And since they're things like receipts, taxes and finance info, that's not acceptable. There's not even any consistency regarding size, folder name length, etc. I'll probably play with it some more, but I'm basically waiting for the "real" release.

Renaming the .msf files was a suggestion from Michael yesterday; see above. The tool doesn&#039;t really seem to be adapted to exporting for a different client; the &quot;Export&quot; at the folder level seems to work more as a backup for T&#039;Bird than for transfer. As I noted in my last post, the method you described is the *only* one which came close to working; my problem there is that PMail saw a bunch of the mail folders as &quot;damaged&quot; (tried it three times, with individual &quot;bad&quot; folders), even though T&#039;Bird uses them just fine. And since they&#039;re things like receipts, taxes and finance info, that&#039;s not acceptable. There&#039;s not even any consistency regarding size, folder name length, etc. I&#039;ll probably play with it some more, but I&#039;m basically waiting for the &quot;real&quot; release.

I think my earlier choice was correct, to wait for the non-beta.

Sorry, but it's not: The final version of PM 4.81 definitely won't change anything with regard to importing MBX folders since it's not broken in any way although a bit inconvenient if having to deal with lots of accounts and folders. So I've repeated my tests and - maybe due to an update of the ImportExportTools NG extension - I now can duplicate your issues, so here's how to go now:
Firstly you need to ensure all folders to be exported are locally available which means you either do POP3 downloads or cache all IMAP folders by enabling it in TB via Account Settings > Synchronization & Storage > Keep messages in all folders for this account on this computer.

64d9558063c05

Then I'v changed some options of the extension like this:

64d95c7b4da64

I'm not sure whether all of these really have an effect but at least they keep things a lot cleaner than anything else I tried before, the target directory is of your personal choice, if doing this with several accounts it would be better to select the target directory when being prompted for it, of course.

Now I right clicked the account's Inbox for selecting Export folder with subfolders (with structure) which will happen after the "local folder only" warning and you'll get an "Inbox.sbd" directory along with an "Inbox" file and the directory containing all existing subfolder files. If you copy those files up into the directory containing the "Inbox" file you'll have all of them in your previously selected base directory with can be added as mailbox directory in Pegasus Mail. Only thing left to do for Pegasus Mail to identify these folders is to add the MBX extension to the folder files which come without any at all. Renaming those folders in Pegasus Mail for removing the trailing MBX extensions from the folder names would be the final step.

[quote=&quot;pid:55745, uid:28082&quot;]I think my earlier choice was correct, to wait for the non-beta.[/quote] Sorry, but it&#039;s not: The final version of PM 4.81 definitely won&#039;t change anything with regard to importing MBX folders since it&#039;s not broken in any way although a bit inconvenient if having to deal with lots of accounts and folders. So I&#039;ve repeated my tests and - maybe due to an update of the _ImportExportTools NG_ extension - I now can duplicate your issues, so here&#039;s how to go now: Firstly you need to ensure all folders to be exported are locally available which means you either do POP3 downloads or cache all IMAP folders by enabling it in TB via _Account Settings &gt; Synchronization &amp; Storage &gt; Keep messages in all folders for this account on this computer_. ![64d9558063c05](serve/attachment&amp;path=64d9558063c05) Then I&#039;v changed some options of the extension like this: ![64d95c7b4da64](serve/attachment&amp;path=64d95c7b4da64) I&#039;m not sure whether all of these really have an effect but at least they keep things a lot cleaner than anything else I tried before, the target directory is of your personal choice, if doing this with several accounts it would be better to select the target directory when being prompted for it, of course. Now I right clicked the account&#039;s Inbox for selecting _Export folder with subfolders (with structure)_ which will happen after the &quot;local folder only&quot; warning and you&#039;ll get an &quot;Inbox.sbd&quot; directory along with an &quot;Inbox&quot; file and the directory containing all existing subfolder files. If you copy those files up into the directory containing the &quot;Inbox&quot; file you&#039;ll have all of them in your previously selected base directory with can be added as mailbox directory in Pegasus Mail. Only thing left to do for Pegasus Mail to identify these folders is to add the MBX extension to the folder files which come without any at all. Renaming those folders in Pegasus Mail for removing the trailing MBX extensions from the folder names would be the final step.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage

OK; thanks for the additional help (and work); it looks fairly straightforward. I have 36(?) folders, but all in a single account, so that should simplify things. It's too late now, but I'll try it tomorrow; here's hoping that PMail doesn't continue to see "damaged" folders after the operation.

OK; thanks for the additional help (and work); it looks *fairly* straightforward. I have 36(?) folders, but all in a single account, so that should simplify things. It&#039;s too late now, but I&#039;ll try it tomorrow; here&#039;s hoping that PMail doesn&#039;t continue to see &quot;damaged&quot; folders after the operation.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft