Community Discussions and Support
Activation of auto-reply via IMAP from other mail clients than Pmail?

AFAIK the auto-reply (e.g. out-of-office notification) functionality of Mercury could only be controlled by Pegasus which is adapting and changing the file extension of the "areply" file.

In the meantime more and more colleagues retire Pmail and replace it by Thunderbird which is collaborating great with Mercury.

But a simple adjustment of Mercury's auto-reply function by another Mail client is missing.
Either we have to keep installed another Pmail installation, only started for switching the areply function, or we have to edit the areply file manually. But we don't want to grant every user full write access to its mailbox directory.

Are there any other solution in place?

AFAIK the auto-reply (e.g. out-of-office notification) functionality of Mercury could only be controlled by Pegasus which is adapting and changing the file extension of the "areply" file. In the meantime more and more colleagues retire Pmail and replace it by Thunderbird which is collaborating great with Mercury. But a simple adjustment of Mercury's auto-reply function by another Mail client is missing. Either we have to keep installed another Pmail installation, only started for switching the areply function, or we have to edit the areply file manually. But we don't want to grant every user full write access to its mailbox directory. Are there any other solution in place?

Hi Joerg!

I don't know of any way to work with Mercury's autoreply function other than with Pegasus Mail. Granting modify permission to the areply file and the creating a script to modify it might work but that is all that comes to mind.

What about the out-of-office autoreply capabiity in Thunderbird? I understand that it would require users to create a template and a filter, and they would need to leave TB running. Not ideal, but maybe an option. ???

I don't know about preventing mailstorms that result from autoreplying to autoreplies though.

Hi Joerg! I don't know of any way to work with Mercury's autoreply function other than with Pegasus Mail. Granting modify permission to the areply file and the creating a script to modify it might work but that is all that comes to mind. What about the out-of-office autoreply capabiity in Thunderbird? I understand that it would require users to create a template and a filter, and they would need to leave TB running. Not ideal, but maybe an option. ??? I don't know about preventing mailstorms that result from autoreplying to autoreplies though.

Hi Brian,
I was afraid that answer smile

OK, I will give our programmers a little job to compose a small tool which is able to adapt the areply file, but where only the Admin is able to see and set the hidden path to user's mailbox directory.

Will see ...

Hi Brian, I was afraid that answer (blush) OK, I will give our programmers a little job to compose a small tool which is able to adapt the areply file, but where only the Admin is able to see and set the hidden path to user's mailbox directory. Will see ...

You could have a look at Mercury Webtools, an old project that hasn't been updated for the past 5 years or so while waiting for Mercury v5 to be ready for release but handles autoreplies and various admin tasks.

Installation is entirely manual. cmdinterface.dll should be in the same directory as Mercury.exe. http.ini needs to be updated with the path to the directory containing the (very basic) HTTP files used as web templates. HTTP code can of course be modified according to own preferences.

HTTPServer_2023.zip

You could have a look at Mercury Webtools, an old project that hasn't been updated for the past 5 years or so while waiting for Mercury v5 to be ready for release but handles autoreplies and various admin tasks. Installation is entirely manual. _cmdinterface.dll_ should be in the same directory as Mercury.exe. _http.ini_ needs to be updated with the path to the directory containing the (very basic) HTTP files used as web templates. HTTP code can of course be modified according to own preferences. [HTTPServer_2023.zip](serve/attachment&path=64dfcbec07132)

Thanks Rolf, your hint appreciated. I will check this out in next week.

... and I'm so curious of the new v5. smile

Thanks Rolf, your hint appreciated. I will check this out in next week. ... and I'm so curious of the new v5. (blush)

Hello Joerg,

the autoreply using Rolf's webtools is working perfectly at my installation. To give my users the ability to change the settings for autoreply, autoforward I have incorporated this into my roundcube installation. This way each user can access this for his/her mailbox.

In your case using Thunderbird or any other imap client, you would just have to create a small webpage to integrate the webtool's url and make it password secured at the front and after login use the link to the tool. After clicking the link of the tool, the user will be asked for his account name and account password.
This way, the user has only access to the user's option, not all admin options.
I have als changed a few files of the tool to show only the options I wanted.

Attached are 2 screen shots.

64dfe51b6f523
64dfe51c90d54

If you need more info, let me know. We have see how to get in contact as we don't have a PN system on this board.

Johannes

Hello Joerg, the autoreply using Rolf's webtools is working perfectly at my installation. To give my users the ability to change the settings for autoreply, autoforward I have incorporated this into my roundcube installation. This way each user can access this for his/her mailbox. In your case using Thunderbird or any other imap client, you would just have to create a small webpage to integrate the webtool's url and make it password secured at the front and after login use the link to the tool. After clicking the link of the tool, the user will be asked for his account name and account password. This way, the user has only access to the user's option, not all admin options. I have als changed a few files of the tool to show only the options I wanted. Attached are 2 screen shots. ![64dfe51b6f523](serve/attachment&path=64dfe51b6f523) ![64dfe51c90d54](serve/attachment&path=64dfe51c90d54) If you need more info, let me know. We have see how to get in contact as we don't have a PN system on this board. Johannes

Hi Johannes,
We got also RoundCube additionally in place since our users have to check other mailboxes, either when coleagues are sick or on vacation, or different service mailboxes where different coleagues must have access to.
Insofar I'm interested in your RoundCube integration.
I have some skills in html programming but our RoundCube ist running on a Linux machine, administered by another coleague, since I have no idea of Linux smile .
But Mercury is running on a Windows Server 2016 machine, including all mailbox directories.

Cheers
Joerg

Hi Johannes, We got also RoundCube additionally in place since our users have to check other mailboxes, either when coleagues are sick or on vacation, or different service mailboxes where different coleagues must have access to. Insofar I'm interested in your RoundCube integration. I have some skills in html programming but our RoundCube ist running on a Linux machine, administered by another coleague, since I have no idea of Linux :) . But Mercury is running on a Windows Server 2016 machine, including all mailbox directories. Cheers Joerg

If you need more info, let me know. We have see how to get in contact as we don't have a PN system on this board.

I can provide each of you the others email address if you both want.

[quote="pid:55788, uid:38214"]If you need more info, let me know. We have see how to get in contact as we don't have a PN system on this board.[/quote] I can provide each of you the others email address if you both want.

Hi Brian,
yes that would make things way easier, especially communicating files.

I would appreciate that.
Thank you.

Johannes

Hi Brian, yes that would make things way easier, especially communicating files. I would appreciate that. Thank you. Johannes

Hello Joerg,

I have some skills in html programming but our RoundCube ist running on a Linux machine, administered by another coleague, since I have no idea of Linux smile .

You just need your html skills. The only additional setup for security reasons, as the tool runs only on http, is to install a https reverse proxy towards the tool. I forgot to mention that in my first post.

Will wait for Brian's Help and we get this going.

Johannes

Hello Joerg, [quote="pid:55789, uid:3785"]I have some skills in html programming but our RoundCube ist running on a Linux machine, administered by another coleague, since I have no idea of Linux smile .[/quote] You just need your html skills. The only additional setup for security reasons, as the tool runs only on http, is to install a https reverse proxy towards the tool. I forgot to mention that in my first post. Will wait for Brian's Help and we get this going. Johannes

Hi Brian,
You should have my email. Feel free to provide Johannes with.

Regarding https reverse proxy ... We need the tool running only in our Office LAN, means any user accesses to Mercury will be carried out from Company LAN without direct access from internet. Insofar https protected access is not that important for us.

Nice weekend.

Hi Brian, You should have my email. Feel free to provide Johannes with. Regarding https reverse proxy ... We need the tool running only in our Office LAN, means any user accesses to Mercury will be carried out from Company LAN without direct access from internet. Insofar https protected access is not that important for us. Nice weekend.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft