Community Discussions and Support
Suddenly unable to download mail via POP3

Since just before the weekend PMail gives an error message that 'An unexpected network error occurred during the transaction with the host' when trying to download my emails on the mailserver of my IPS via POP3. Their helpdesk is less than forthcoming, saying that since I can reach my mail via webmail there is no problem at their side, and 'they do not support users with their web clients'. I'm basically on my own. Should change IPS, I know, but they happen to run the mail address I've had since 1997, and I'd rather not lose that.

Could the Windows update last week be the culprit, and would installing the latest version of PMail make any difference in that case? I currently run Version 4.73.639.

Since just before the weekend PMail gives an error message that 'An unexpected network error occurred during the transaction with the host' when trying to download my emails on the mailserver of my IPS via POP3. Their helpdesk is less than forthcoming, saying that since I can reach my mail via webmail there is no problem at their side, and 'they do not support users with their web clients'. I'm basically on my own. Should change IPS, I know, but they happen to run the mail address I've had since 1997, and I'd rather not lose that. Could the Windows update last week be the culprit, and would installing the latest version of PMail make any difference in that case? I currently run Version 4.73.639.

They might have made a security change to remove access using less secure connections.
Believe Pegasus 4.80 and 4.81 upgraded the SSL support options, so that might be it.

That is assuming that you are using a secure connection versus the older unsecured pop3 and smtp using ports 110 and 25. ISP should have a page that explains what methods and ports they are using.

A second thing. Have you setup a VPN connection? Many of them hide your connection using a randon IP. Many ISP's don't like or block connections coming from IP address outside of their domain. I've had my ISP email going back to late 80's. Originally use standard ports 25 and 110, but later they only allowed connections coming from direct ISP controlled IPs. Then went to the secure SSL connections.

Might want to try a connection, and select the option to create the Log file.
If you post it, make sure to replace the encrypted password line, since the data from log file can be easily decrypted.
Logs are created in TCPLogs directory under Mail or Mail/user
Example line from POP log. change to 's
<< PASS **
<cr><lf>
Don't have an smtp sample but thing they have AUTH in lines.

Might show details of error.

So, would first backup PMAIL directory to be safe.
Would upgrade to the latest 4.81pb3 it has been out since January.
Then try connection with log creation and see if it shows more info.
Only upload it after commenting out password, and removing any data you don't want to share.
Perhaps others would have more info.
what is the pop3 servers name and the smtp servers name and what ports are you using.
Good Luck.

They might have made a security change to remove access using less secure connections. Believe Pegasus 4.80 and 4.81 upgraded the SSL support options, so that might be it. That is assuming that you are using a secure connection versus the older unsecured pop3 and smtp using ports 110 and 25. ISP should have a page that explains what methods and ports they are using. A second thing. Have you setup a VPN connection? Many of them hide your connection using a randon IP. Many ISP&#039;s don&#039;t like or block connections coming from IP address outside of their domain. I&#039;ve had my ISP email going back to late 80&#039;s. Originally use standard ports 25 and 110, but later they only allowed connections coming from direct ISP controlled IPs. Then went to the secure SSL connections. Might want to try a connection, and select the option to create the Log file. If you post it, make sure to replace the encrypted password line, since the data from log file can be easily decrypted. Logs are created in TCPLogs directory under Mail or Mail/user Example line from POP log. change to *&#039;s &lt;&lt; PASS *********************&lt;cr&gt;&lt;lf&gt; Don&#039;t have an smtp sample but thing they have AUTH in lines. Might show details of error. So, would first backup PMAIL directory to be safe. Would upgrade to the latest 4.81pb3 it has been out since January. Then try connection with log creation and see if it shows more info. Only upload it after commenting out password, and removing any data you don&#039;t want to share. Perhaps others would have more info. what is the pop3 servers name and the smtp servers name and what ports are you using. Good Luck.

mikes@guam.net

Could the Windows update last week be the culprit, and would installing the latest version of PMail make any difference in that case? I currently run Version 4.73.639.

I have not seen any reports about Windows update causing problems that would explain this. Upgrading to the latest version of Pegasus Mail might solve the problem if your ISP is now requires the newer version of SSL that is not supported by Pegasus Mail 4.73. I recommended upgrading to 4.81 beta instead of 4.80. The beta has been solid and fixes some issues that were in 4.80.

Other thoughts:

Find the current POP3 authentication requirements of you ISP and confirm that your POP3 host configuration matches those requirements.

Enable internet session logging. A POP3 session log should identify the point of failure. To do this:

• Go to Tools > Internet options. Tick the "Create internet session logs..." option at the bottom of the General tab.
  • Do a POP3 check for new mail.
  • Shut down Pegasus Mail.
  • Use a file explorer to navigate to your mailbox directory. In it will be a TCPLogs directory that will contain the internet session log files(s). POP3 log files will have a .pop extension.
  • Identify the newly created .pop log based on its timestamp. Rename it to XXXXXXXXX.pop.txt. Double-click it to open it in your default text editor.
  • Review it for an obvious indication of failure.
  • If you feel you need to post it to the forum be aware that it contains your authentication credentials. Obfuscate the content following USER and PASS.

[quote=&quot;pid:55807, uid:39285&quot;]Could the Windows update last week be the culprit, and would installing the latest version of PMail make any difference in that case? I currently run Version 4.73.639.[/quote] I have not seen any reports about Windows update causing problems that would explain this. Upgrading to the latest version of Pegasus Mail might solve the problem if your ISP is now requires the newer version of SSL that is not supported by Pegasus Mail 4.73. I recommended upgrading to 4.81 beta instead of 4.80. The beta has been solid and fixes some issues that were in 4.80. Other thoughts: Find the current POP3 authentication requirements of you ISP and confirm that your POP3 host configuration matches those requirements. Enable internet session logging. A POP3 session log should identify the point of failure. To do this: - Go to Tools &gt; Internet options. Tick the &quot;Create internet session logs...&quot; option at the bottom of the General tab. - Do a POP3 check for new mail. - Shut down Pegasus Mail. - Use a file explorer to navigate to your mailbox directory. In it will be a TCPLogs directory that will contain the internet session log files(s). POP3 log files will have a .pop extension. - Identify the newly created .pop log based on its timestamp. Rename it to XXXXXXXXX.pop.txt. Double-click it to open it in your default text editor. - Review it for an obvious indication of failure. - If you feel you need to post it to the forum be aware that it contains your authentication credentials. Obfuscate the content following USER and PASS.

Well, the plot thickens! The ISP simply refused any help because they do not help with mail clients, so I asked a simple question even the help desk should be able to answer. All they were giving me was IMAP connection settings, so I asked 'Do you still support POP3?'. Took them half an hour to come up with a simple 'No'!

Even if you decide to stop offering POP3 as an option, it is good practice to tell your users about it and offer them an alternative BEFORE you shut it down.

It's a few steps extra, but I have added an IMAP-connection, which does show the mail on the server, and allows me to transport it to my inbox. I work in Servicemanagement myself. I would not get away with 'service' like this...

For the short run I'm helped. I will try the change to the newer version of PMail later as well. Thanks for the comments so far!

Well, the plot thickens! The ISP simply refused any help because they do not help with mail clients, so I asked a simple question even the help desk should be able to answer. All they were giving me was IMAP connection settings, so I asked &#039;Do you still support POP3?&#039;. Took them half an hour to come up with a simple &#039;No&#039;! Even if you decide to stop offering POP3 as an option, it is good practice to tell your users about it and offer them an alternative BEFORE you shut it down. It&#039;s a few steps extra, but I have added an IMAP-connection, which does show the mail on the server, and allows me to transport it to my inbox. I work in Servicemanagement myself. I would not get away with &#039;service&#039; like this... For the short run I&#039;m helped. I will try the change to the newer version of PMail later as well. Thanks for the comments so far!

Do you still support POP3?

I believe that Google would answer No to this question even though it still works. I would attempt a POP3 connection with internet session logging enabled just to see what the failure is.

[quote=&quot;pid:55810, uid:39285&quot;]Do you still support POP3?[/quote] I believe that Google would answer No to this question even though it still works. I would attempt a POP3 connection with internet session logging enabled just to see what the failure is.
edited Aug 21 '23 at 4:19 pm

Just wondering what the domain is and what settings you are using?

with my isp the pop server is mail.guam.net using port 995
The smtp server is smtp1.guam.net using port 465

I use the linux stunnel to tunnel the ssl from Pegasus with settings below.
Have similar option for gmail access.

[guampop]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:20996
connect = mail.guam.net:995
debug = 7

[guamsmtp]
client=yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:20466
connect = smtp1.guam.net:465
debug = 7

would run dig command if you have it locally or web base ones.

on linux
dig -tany gmail.com
ouput:

; <<>> DiG 9.18.17 <<>> -tany gmail.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 28694
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 11, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 9

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 65494
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;gmail.com. IN ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
gmail.com. 85934 IN CAA 0 issue "pki.goog"
gmail.com. 3134 IN MX 20 alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
gmail.com. 3134 IN MX 5 gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
gmail.com. 3134 IN MX 40 alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
gmail.com. 3134 IN MX 10 alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
gmail.com. 3134 IN MX 30 alt3.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
gmail.com. 32 IN A 142.250.188.229
gmail.com. 15099 IN NS ns3.google.com.
gmail.com. 15099 IN NS ns4.google.com.
gmail.com. 15099 IN NS ns1.google.com.
gmail.com. 15099 IN NS ns2.google.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.google.com. 16199 IN A 216.239.32.10
ns2.google.com. 16867 IN A 216.239.34.10
ns3.google.com. 16867 IN A 216.239.36.10
ns4.google.com. 16867 IN A 216.239.38.10
ns1.google.com. 102407 IN AAAA 2001:4860:4802:32::a
ns2.google.com. 119474 IN AAAA 2001:4860:4802:34::a
ns3.google.com. 15099 IN AAAA 2001:4860:4802:36::a
ns4.google.com. 15099 IN AAAA 2001:4860:4802:38::a

;; Query time: 16 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.53#53(127.0.0.53) (TCP)
;; WHEN: Tue Aug 22 02:44:23 ChST 2023
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 452

MX records are mail exchange, but doesn't list the pop3 server??
Be interesting if you check domain and find they do have a pop3 server running.

Just wondering what the domain is and what settings you are using? with my isp the pop server is mail.guam.net using port 995 The smtp server is smtp1.guam.net using port 465 I use the linux stunnel to tunnel the ssl from Pegasus with settings below. Have similar option for gmail access. ```` [guampop] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20996 connect = mail.guam.net:995 debug = 7 [guamsmtp] client=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:20466 connect = smtp1.guam.net:465 debug = 7 ```` would run dig command if you have it locally or web base ones. on linux dig -tany gmail.com ouput: ```` ; &lt;&lt;&gt;&gt; DiG 9.18.17 &lt;&lt;&gt;&gt; -tany gmail.com ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; -&gt;&gt;HEADER&lt;&lt;- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 28694 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 11, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 9 ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION: ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 65494 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;gmail.com. IN ANY ;; ANSWER SECTION: gmail.com. 85934 IN CAA 0 issue &quot;pki.goog&quot; gmail.com. 3134 IN MX 20 alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. gmail.com. 3134 IN MX 5 gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. gmail.com. 3134 IN MX 40 alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. gmail.com. 3134 IN MX 10 alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. gmail.com. 3134 IN MX 30 alt3.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. gmail.com. 32 IN A 142.250.188.229 gmail.com. 15099 IN NS ns3.google.com. gmail.com. 15099 IN NS ns4.google.com. gmail.com. 15099 IN NS ns1.google.com. gmail.com. 15099 IN NS ns2.google.com. ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION: ns1.google.com. 16199 IN A 216.239.32.10 ns2.google.com. 16867 IN A 216.239.34.10 ns3.google.com. 16867 IN A 216.239.36.10 ns4.google.com. 16867 IN A 216.239.38.10 ns1.google.com. 102407 IN AAAA 2001:4860:4802:32::a ns2.google.com. 119474 IN AAAA 2001:4860:4802:34::a ns3.google.com. 15099 IN AAAA 2001:4860:4802:36::a ns4.google.com. 15099 IN AAAA 2001:4860:4802:38::a ;; Query time: 16 msec ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.53#53(127.0.0.53) (TCP) ;; WHEN: Tue Aug 22 02:44:23 ChST 2023 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 452 ```` MX records are mail exchange, but doesn&#039;t list the pop3 server?? Be interesting if you check domain and find they do have a pop3 server running.

mikes@guam.net

Sorry for the long silence, but a nasty virus struck me down last week and kept me from my laptop for several days. I would love to log the exact error, only I can't, as quite magically the 'no longer supported' POP3 server suddenly started working again...

At least I have a workable work around next time it fails, using the IMAP-connection as an extra step to get the mail in. Thank you all for thinking with me an the support given!

Mario

Sorry for the long silence, but a nasty virus struck me down last week and kept me from my laptop for several days. I would love to log the exact error, only I can&#039;t, as quite magically the &#039;no longer supported&#039; POP3 server suddenly started working again... At least I have a workable work around next time it fails, using the IMAP-connection as an extra step to get the mail in. Thank you all for thinking with me an the support given! Mario

Glad to hear it is working. Very seldom, my ISP has the POP3 or SMTP server go off-line. Usually, a quick email or post on there help page gets it rebooted and running. At least they admit when something goes wrong, and know what it is.

Hope it doesn't happen again. Good to know the exact IP address to ping it.
Like to run NMAP on ips and see what it reports when working, and then if it stops you can tell exact difference.

Glad to hear it is working. Very seldom, my ISP has the POP3 or SMTP server go off-line. Usually, a quick email or post on there help page gets it rebooted and running. At least they admit when something goes wrong, and know what it is. Hope it doesn&#039;t happen again. Good to know the exact IP address to ping it. Like to run NMAP on ips and see what it reports when working, and then if it stops you can tell exact difference.

mikes@guam.net

Just for info - This is what I get checking my ISPs pop3 an smtp servers.
Not sure if Windows has nmap or similar command??

nmap mail.guam.net

Starting Nmap 7.93 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2023-08-28 21:21 ChST
Nmap scan report for mail.guam.net (202.128.81.26)
Host is up (0.014s latency).
Not shown: 995 filtered tcp ports (no-response)
PORT STATE SERVICE
25/tcp closed smtp
110/tcp open pop3
143/tcp open imap
993/tcp open imaps
995/tcp open pop3s

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 5.54 seconds

nmap smtp1.guam.net

Starting Nmap 7.93 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2023-08-28 21:21 ChST
Nmap scan report for smtp1.guam.net (202.128.0.75)
Host is up (0.013s latency).
Not shown: 987 filtered tcp ports (no-response), 8 filtered tcp ports (host-prohibited)
PORT STATE SERVICE
25/tcp open smtp
110/tcp open pop3
465/tcp open smtps
993/tcp open imaps
995/tcp open pop3s

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 5.14 seconds

Just for info - This is what I get checking my ISPs pop3 an smtp servers. Not sure if Windows has nmap or similar command?? # nmap mail.guam.net Starting Nmap 7.93 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2023-08-28 21:21 ChST Nmap scan report for mail.guam.net (202.128.81.26) Host is up (0.014s latency). Not shown: 995 filtered tcp ports (no-response) PORT STATE SERVICE 25/tcp closed smtp 110/tcp open pop3 143/tcp open imap 993/tcp open imaps 995/tcp open pop3s Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 5.54 seconds # nmap smtp1.guam.net Starting Nmap 7.93 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2023-08-28 21:21 ChST Nmap scan report for smtp1.guam.net (202.128.0.75) Host is up (0.013s latency). Not shown: 987 filtered tcp ports (no-response), 8 filtered tcp ports (host-prohibited) PORT STATE SERVICE 25/tcp open smtp 110/tcp open pop3 465/tcp open smtps 993/tcp open imaps 995/tcp open pop3s Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 5.14 seconds

mikes@guam.net

live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft