Community Discussions and Support
Pegasus File/Folder Limits

Hi, does Pegasus Mail have any limits regarding the folder size or number of emails in folder?

Hi, does Pegasus Mail have any limits regarding the folder size or number of emails in folder?

The only limit that I know of is the 2G limit on file size.
Believe there is also an issue with the index of messages, but it still works but becomes slower to open if more than something like 64,000 messages.

Perhaps Brian will have the exact info shortly.

The only limit that I know of is the 2G limit on file size. Believe there is also an issue with the index of messages, but it still works but becomes slower to open if more than something like 64,000 messages. Perhaps Brian will have the exact info shortly.

mikes@guam.net

@msetzeri is correct about the 2GB file size limit. If you don't know, each Pegasus Mail folder is made up of two files. One contains the messages, the other contains the folder index. The message file is always significantly larger than the index file. Post back if you want to know how to identify the files associated with a Pegasus Mail folder.

As for number of messages in a folder, there is no limit AFAIK. I have never thought that maintaining an index of many thousands of messages was a reasonable expectation so have never let any of my folders exceed a few thousand messages.

@msetzeri is correct about the 2GB file size limit. If you don't know, each Pegasus Mail folder is made up of two files. One contains the messages, the other contains the folder index. The message file is always significantly larger than the index file. Post back if you want to know how to identify the files associated with a Pegasus Mail folder. As for number of messages in a folder, there is no limit AFAIK. I have never thought that maintaining an index of many thousands of messages was a reasonable expectation so have never let any of my folders exceed a few thousand messages.

Thank you very much, msetzerii and Brian, for the info.

I asked because sometimes Pegasus opens messages slower than normally and I was wondering what the cause could be.
@Brian, I am familiar with the 2 files structure and how to identify them smile

Thank you very much, msetzerii and Brian, for the info. I asked because sometimes Pegasus opens messages slower than normally and I was wondering what the cause could be. @Brian, I am familiar with the 2 files structure and how to identify them :)

The only thing I know of that really slows pegasus is when the printer isn't a local printer. Seem if it is a network printer or not available it uses fonts from printer definitions and that causes a delay.

I've always setup local printer or via a local network server, but have seen messages that talk about this and it is a windows thing. Never seen issue on Novell Networks or with linux even when printer is not physically connected to machine.

Heard just adding a local printer, and having it as default will get rid of delay.

Concerning folder names, I go back to the old Pegasus DOS version on Novell Networks, where you could actually rename folders from program. Think windows version dropped it. I have a program that lets me easily rename folders so the don't just have the FOLOxxx names.

Example lines from HIERARCH.PM

0,0,"264FFDF7:669D:PM-NEWS","024B349:My mailbox","PM-News"
0,0,"019AFDF7:669C:PMAIL","024B349:My mailbox","Pegasus Mail List"
0,0,"E8OJWE5E:571D:PMAIL2020","76751789:PMAILTRAY","PMAIL2020"
0,0,"EM1LN1WP:571E:PMAIL2021","76751789:PMAILTRAY","PMAIL2021"
0,0,"T7N2J0AW:4D5B:PMAIL2022","76751789:PMAILTRAY","PMAIL2022"
1,0,"08FE2816:COPYTRAY","024B349:My mailbox","COPYTRAY"
1,0,"6FC54766:MAINTRAY","024B349:My mailbox","MAINTRAY"
1,0,"3C8A5551:USPSTRAY","024B349:My mailbox","USPSTRAY"

Only issue with renaming folders that I've seen is if filter rules linked, one needs to update folder name to match new name.

Like to have the PMM/PMI files have names that are easier to match.

Good Luck.

The only thing I know of that really slows pegasus is when the printer isn't a local printer. Seem if it is a network printer or not available it uses fonts from printer definitions and that causes a delay. I've always setup local printer or via a local network server, but have seen messages that talk about this and it is a windows thing. Never seen issue on Novell Networks or with linux even when printer is not physically connected to machine. Heard just adding a local printer, and having it as default will get rid of delay. Concerning folder names, I go back to the old Pegasus DOS version on Novell Networks, where you could actually rename folders from program. Think windows version dropped it. I have a program that lets me easily rename folders so the don't just have the FOLOxxx names. Example lines from HIERARCH.PM ```` 0,0,"264FFDF7:669D:PM-NEWS","024B349:My mailbox","PM-News" 0,0,"019AFDF7:669C:PMAIL","024B349:My mailbox","Pegasus Mail List" 0,0,"E8OJWE5E:571D:PMAIL2020","76751789:PMAILTRAY","PMAIL2020" 0,0,"EM1LN1WP:571E:PMAIL2021","76751789:PMAILTRAY","PMAIL2021" 0,0,"T7N2J0AW:4D5B:PMAIL2022","76751789:PMAILTRAY","PMAIL2022" 1,0,"08FE2816:COPYTRAY","024B349:My mailbox","COPYTRAY" 1,0,"6FC54766:MAINTRAY","024B349:My mailbox","MAINTRAY" 1,0,"3C8A5551:USPSTRAY","024B349:My mailbox","USPSTRAY" ```` Only issue with renaming folders that I've seen is if filter rules linked, one needs to update folder name to match new name. Like to have the PMM/PMI files have names that are easier to match. Good Luck.

mikes@guam.net

The only thing I know of that really slows pegasus is when the printer isn't a local printer. Seem if it is a network printer or not available it uses fonts from printer definitions and that causes a delay.

Also, in the Pegasus Mail menu Tools > Options > General settings > Advanced settings, ensure that the "Load Windows Internet Services" option is set to "Always".

Regarding slow message opening...
Are you always opening the HTML version if available?
If HTML, are you automatically loading remote graphics?
Does the same message sometimes open quickly and sometimes not?

[quote="pid:55859, uid:2546"]The only thing I know of that really slows pegasus is when the printer isn't a local printer. Seem if it is a network printer or not available it uses fonts from printer definitions and that causes a delay.[/quote] Also, in the Pegasus Mail menu Tools > Options > General settings > Advanced settings, ensure that the "Load Windows Internet Services" option is set to "Always". Regarding slow message opening... Are you always opening the HTML version if available? If HTML, are you automatically loading remote graphics? Does the same message sometimes open quickly and sometimes not?

Thank you both again for the extra info.

It's a simple windows network at a small office with less than 10 users and one PC serving as storage location where Pegasus is installed and stores the emails. All PCs are quite new, with windows 10, updated. A couple of the PCs were bought recently. Network switches and cables are all 1 GB/s compatible. A couple of network printers connected with LAN, the rest are connected with USB to other PCs and shared.

@ msetzerii , renaming the folders is not necessary.

@ Brian, "Load Windows Internet Services" option is already set to "Always". I cannot find where to see if the HTML version is opening first and weather remote graphics are automatically loaded.

I will forward my client your questions and ask them to pay attention. Will write again when I have more information.

Thanks a lot and enjoy your weekend smile

Thank you both again for the extra info. It's a simple windows network at a small office with less than 10 users and one PC serving as storage location where Pegasus is installed and stores the emails. All PCs are quite new, with windows 10, updated. A couple of the PCs were bought recently. Network switches and cables are all 1 GB/s compatible. A couple of network printers connected with LAN, the rest are connected with USB to other PCs and shared. @ msetzerii , renaming the folders is not necessary. @ Brian, "Load Windows Internet Services" option is already set to "Always". I cannot find where to see if the HTML version is opening first and weather remote graphics are automatically loaded. I will forward my client your questions and ask them to pay attention. Will write again when I have more information. Thanks a lot and enjoy your weekend :)
edited Sep 1 '23 at 5:32 pm
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft