Community Discussions and Support
Mail message seems to open but is not visible

I sometimes have four instances of pmail running parallel.

Since today, in one of the instances, I have a problem with opening emails. The other instances work correctly.

When I click on a mail to open it, it seems something is happening by the turning time-clock / mouse pointer being busy. Because of that I think the email opens, but I cannot see it. Or opening the mail does not succeed and there is no error message.

Restarting does not work, checking for messages outside the pmail frame also not, making it extended monitors also not.

However, when I start a new message either through the menu or through ctr-n, it works without problem.

Any idea?

Running 4.8 with IERenderer 2.7.1.1 enabled. Disabling it does not help either.

I sometimes have four instances of pmail running parallel. Since today, in one of the instances, I have a problem with opening emails. The other instances work correctly. When I click on a mail to open it, it seems something is happening by the turning time-clock / mouse pointer being busy. Because of that I think the email opens, but I cannot see it. Or opening the mail does not succeed and there is no error message. Restarting does not work, checking for messages outside the pmail frame also not, making it extended monitors also not. However, when I start a new message either through the menu or through ctr-n, it works without problem. Any idea? Running 4.8 with IERenderer 2.7.1.1 enabled. Disabling it does not help either.
edited Sep 2 '23 at 9:30 am

On message have you tried the open and then click on Raw View..
A couple times, I've had a message come in, and somehow they have it set for white text on the default white background so you see nothing. Sometimes doing Ctrl-A to hightlight all would also show text.

If nothing else the Raw View should show detail.

If it renames a newmail message you could also figure which CNM file it is a look at it with text editor. Could also be a message that has only plain text and no html option or other way round.

On message have you tried the open and then click on Raw View.. A couple times, I've had a message come in, and somehow they have it set for white text on the default white background so you see nothing. Sometimes doing Ctrl-A to hightlight all would also show text. If nothing else the Raw View should show detail. If it renames a newmail message you could also figure which CNM file it is a look at it with text editor. Could also be a message that has only plain text and no html option or other way round.

mikes@guam.net

Clarification. I have 40-50 mail folders, new mail can stay in new mail folders and deleted mails stay in the bin until I really delete them

It does not matter which folder I open, new mail, deleted mail, or any of the other folders. Behavior is each time the same. In any and all folders, I can see the messages stored there.

Then if I click on a message to open it, the mouse pointer indicates something is happening, but I do not see ANY mail message appearing.

So its not a question that I see the message frame but not the text, but I do see nothing except the folder that is open at that time.

So I cannot go into raw view because there is nothing to go into.

I now also in Options - incoming messages - message reader disabled the "always use last window" option, closes pmail, opened again, also did not work.

I am running two conferences; one starting on Monday, so I need access to these messages. Please help.

Clarification. I have 40-50 mail folders, new mail can stay in new mail folders and deleted mails stay in the bin until I really delete them It does not matter which folder I open, new mail, deleted mail, or any of the other folders. Behavior is each time the same. In any and all folders, I can see the messages stored there. Then if I click on a message to open it, the mouse pointer indicates something is happening, but I do not see ANY mail message appearing. So its not a question that I see the message frame but not the text, but I do see nothing except the folder that is open at that time. So I cannot go into raw view because there is nothing to go into. I now also in Options - incoming messages - message reader disabled the "always use last window" option, closes pmail, opened again, also did not work. I am running two conferences; one starting on Monday, so I need access to these messages. Please help.
edited Sep 2 '23 at 11:33 am

OK this is weird. I disconnected the second (very big) monitor and tried. No result.

Than I tried pm in smaller version (like not minimum or max but this middle custom setting: I can open messages.

If I then switch to maximize, I can continue to open messages. However, when I close PM and then open again, I have the same problem (with the same solution).

Any idea?

OK this is weird. I disconnected the second (very big) monitor and tried. No result. Than I tried pm in smaller version (like not minimum or max but this middle custom setting: I can open messages. If I then switch to maximize, I can continue to open messages. However, when I close PM and then open again, I have the same problem (with the same solution). Any idea?

One thing we know is that when the main Pegasus Mail windows is maximized, the option to save desktop state does not work. I your case I wonder if the message reader window is opening offscreen or extremely minimized when the main window is maximized. My long-term suggestion is to run Pegasus Mail with its main window stretched to full screen rather than maximized. For the short term I suggest doing this, opening a message, insuring its window is visible, closing its window, restarting Pegasus Mail, and then retesting the message reader window. Be attentive to whether Pegasus Mail opens in the stretched window state or maximized.

We also know that Pegasus Mail does not handle multiple monitors well. By that I mean that it maintains a record of child window positions by coordinates. This means that windows on monitor 2 will be open but invisible when monitor 2 is not available. This does not mean that you MUST run Pegasus Mail on monitor 1, only that you need to be aware of this behavior.

One thing we know is that when the main Pegasus Mail windows is maximized, the option to save desktop state does not work. I your case I wonder if the message reader window is opening offscreen or extremely minimized when the main window is maximized. My long-term suggestion is to run Pegasus Mail with its main window stretched to full screen rather than maximized. For the short term I suggest doing this, opening a message, insuring its window is visible, closing its window, restarting Pegasus Mail, and then retesting the message reader window. Be attentive to whether Pegasus Mail opens in the stretched window state or maximized. We also know that Pegasus Mail does not handle multiple monitors well. By that I mean that it maintains a record of child window positions by coordinates. This means that windows on monitor 2 will be open but invisible when monitor 2 is not available. This does not mean that you MUST run Pegasus Mail on monitor 1, only that you need to be aware of this behavior.

Thanks for the remarks. I already know that pmail does have a problem with extended monitors. When switching back to single, often the "move to" action results in the folder list showing up in the external (and now not available) monitor.

The stupid thing is that even when connecting the second monitor, sometimes it still does not show up because the original setup was monitor 1-2 and now it is monitor 2-1. So you have to switch the monitors left right to get it back, then pull it to the main screen, then close it. Very trying and tiring.

Thanks for the remarks. I already know that pmail does have a problem with extended monitors. When switching back to single, often the "move to" action results in the folder list showing up in the external (and now not available) monitor. The stupid thing is that even when connecting the second monitor, sometimes it still does not show up because the original setup was monitor 1-2 and now it is monitor 2-1. So you have to switch the monitors left right to get it back, then pull it to the main screen, then close it. Very trying and tiring.

What file actually contains the windows locations. There are a number of files that have lots of numbers with folders. Think one could reset the values to a default setting in case a setup of monitors was done to make them point to the primary monitor.

In my STATE.PMJ file in folder section
[FOLDER]
New mail=0,0,800,713,"147,209,122,256,50,0"
16D6FBC5:663A:ACCOUNT=15,24,711,331,"147,209,122,256,50,0"
5A1ACD52:097A:AFT=15,24,711,331,"147,209,122,256,50,0"
778BEE16:656D:ALUMNI=15,24,711,331,"147,209,122,256,50,0"
3BF8FBD0:663B:AMAZON=15,24,711,331,"147,209,122,256,50,0"

Not sure why New Mial has 0,0,800,713
but have the second part and and all other folders using these values.
Set a folder to what I liked, and then just had program update all the lines with those settings. Don't have a clue what the numbers mean.

Perhaps someone has those details.

What file actually contains the windows locations. There are a number of files that have lots of numbers with folders. Think one could reset the values to a default setting in case a setup of monitors was done to make them point to the primary monitor. In my STATE.PMJ file in folder section [FOLDER] New mail=0,0,800,713,"147,209,122,256,50,0" 16D6FBC5:663A:ACCOUNT=15,24,711,331,"147,209,122,256,50,0" 5A1ACD52:097A:AFT=15,24,711,331,"147,209,122,256,50,0" 778BEE16:656D:ALUMNI=15,24,711,331,"147,209,122,256,50,0" 3BF8FBD0:663B:AMAZON=15,24,711,331,"147,209,122,256,50,0" Not sure why New Mial has 0,0,800,713 but have the second part and and all other folders using these values. Set a folder to what I liked, and then just had program update all the lines with those settings. Don't have a clue what the numbers mean. Perhaps someone has those details.

mikes@guam.net

Don't have a clue what the numbers mean.

I don't know either beyond containing window position and size. I don't think that manually editing the entries in the [FOLDER] section will help with the message reader window position. I'm not sure about the folder list window because I can't identify it's entry in STATE.PMJ. I can't identify the entry for the message reader window either. I see a [READER] section but that appears to hold pane sizes, column widths, and an annotation pointer.

[quote="pid:55868, uid:2546"]Don't have a clue what the numbers mean.[/quote] I don't know either beyond containing window position and size. I don't think that manually editing the entries in the [FOLDER] section will help with the message reader window position. I'm not sure about the folder list window because I can't identify it's entry in STATE.PMJ. I can't identify the entry for the message reader window either. I see a [READER] section but that appears to hold pane sizes, column widths, and an annotation pointer.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft