Community Discussions and Support
Pmail 4.81 not remembering POP3 or SMTP hosts between sessions.

Greetings!

I just updated to the beta. All is well except for an annoyance. Whenever I start Pmail I have to re-add my hosts for both POP3 and sending SMTP. Then it works fine.

More detail:
When I upgraded, Pmail forgot my Hosts for POP3 and SMTP. Fortunately, when I selected 'add' my whole list of Hosts was there. Even my very old disabled ones. I was able to select my current host for both POP3 and SMTP and went on my merry way.

Unfortunately, when I next opened Pmail I had to re-add both the hosts.

If I edit a host, it remembers the edits between sessions. Everything else seems to be working just fine.

I am willing to try anything (within reason) to help trouble shoot this.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

TYVM for your time.

Greetings! I just updated to the beta. All is well except for an annoyance. Whenever I start Pmail I have to re-add my hosts for both POP3 and sending SMTP. Then it works fine. More detail: When I upgraded, Pmail forgot my Hosts for POP3 and SMTP. Fortunately, when I selected 'add' my whole list of Hosts was there. Even my very old disabled ones. I was able to select my current host for both POP3 and SMTP and went on my merry way. Unfortunately, when I next opened Pmail I had to re-add both the hosts. If I edit a host, it remembers the edits between sessions. Everything else seems to be working just fine. I am willing to try anything (within reason) to help trouble shoot this. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. TYVM for your time.

This is a known issue when the Home and New mailbox directories are different, and the POP3 and SMTP host files (.PND files) reside in the Home mailbox location. v4.81 only looks in the New mailbox directory for the files during startup so copying them to the New mailbox directory will solve the problem.

If you don't know your Home and New mailbox directory locations go to the Pegasus Mail Help pulldown menu, select "About Pegasus Mail" and then click the "Info" button. The resulting display will contain entries showing the paths to the Home and New mailbox directories.

Note: The host filenames are in the form of POP?????.PND and SMT?????.PND

This is a known issue when the Home and New mailbox directories are different, and the POP3 and SMTP host files (.PND files) reside in the Home mailbox location. v4.81 only looks in the New mailbox directory for the files during startup so copying them to the New mailbox directory will solve the problem. If you don't know your Home and New mailbox directory locations go to the Pegasus Mail Help pulldown menu, select "About Pegasus Mail" and then click the "Info" button. The resulting display will contain entries showing the paths to the Home and New mailbox directories. Note: The host filenames are in the form of POP?????.PND and SMT?????.PND

I can't get Pegasus to load my hosts after upgrading to 4.81.

I tried changing locations in PMAIL.INI to no avail. I even tried copying PMAIL.INI from the D: drive to the C: drive, to no avail.

I have two directories, C:\PMAIL\MAIL\me and D:\PMAIL\MAIL\me.

Emails are on the mirrored D: drive and Pegasus starts from the C: drive.

I am now stuck.

I'm not sure if it is related, but recently, before going to 4.81, I was getting printer access errors. This has stopped occurring though.

I can't get Pegasus to load my hosts after upgrading to 4.81. I tried changing locations in PMAIL.INI to no avail. I even tried copying PMAIL.INI from the D: drive to the C: drive, to no avail. I have two directories, C:\PMAIL\MAIL\me and D:\PMAIL\MAIL\me. Emails are on the mirrored D: drive and Pegasus starts from the C: drive. I am now stuck. I'm not sure if it is related, but recently, before going to 4.81, I was getting printer access errors. This has stopped occurring though.

I tried changing locations in PMAIL.INI to no avail.

Did you go through the steps described above? There's a reason for these not recommending to edit PMAIL.INI: If you're not clear about what exactly needs to be done please ask for any possibly missing details.

[quote="pid:55923, uid:7233"]I tried changing locations in PMAIL.INI to no avail.[/quote] Did you go through the steps described above? There's a reason for these not recommending to edit PMAIL.INI: If you're not clear about what exactly needs to be done please ask for any possibly missing details.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

In v4.81, are the host files visible allowing you to add them in the Sending and Receiving tabs of Internet options.
If so, do they then disappear in the next Pegasus Mail session?
If yes, have you ruled the issue discussed in this threat about the problem when the host files are in the Home mailbox directory instead of the New mailbox directory?

You said

I tried changing locations in PMAIL.INI to no avail.

What location are you talking about?

In v4.81, are the host files visible allowing you to add them in the Sending and Receiving tabs of Internet options. If so, do they then disappear in the next Pegasus Mail session? If yes, have you ruled the issue discussed in this threat about the problem when the host files are in the Home mailbox directory instead of the New mailbox directory? You said [quote="pid:55923, uid:7233"]I tried changing locations in PMAIL.INI to no avail.[/quote] What location are you talking about?

I did read the above. That is how I got here. I also googled a lot more as well.

The host files were not being picked up by Pegasus after the update and even after copying them to both C: and D: drives. So I couldn't add them for them to disappear.

I used ZtreeWin to see what was going on and started to repair the existing install.

I spent a few hours last night and another couple of hours this morning and in the end I ended up renaming both the C: and the D: drive directories and did a fresh install of Pegasus to the D: drive.

I then pretty much copied all of my data from both of the renamed directories to the one freshly installed directory.

Pegasus must have been using both drives to operate before the update. I suspect emails in the New Emails folder (CNM) were on C: drive and D: drive and the filed emails (PMI & PMM) were on the D: drive. The definitions files (PND) were scattered across both drives. The registry was pointing to the C: drive but is now pointing to the fresh D: drive install and PMAIL.INI is now also pointing to the fresh install.

They are now all in the one place and I just have a bit more housekeeping to do.

Not the smoothest of updates, this time.

I did read the above. That is how I got here. I also googled a lot more as well. The host files were not being picked up by Pegasus after the update and even after copying them to both C: and D: drives. So I couldn't add them for them to disappear. I used ZtreeWin to see what was going on and started to repair the existing install. I spent a few hours last night and another couple of hours this morning and in the end I ended up renaming both the C: and the D: drive directories and did a fresh install of Pegasus to the D: drive. I then pretty much copied all of my data from both of the renamed directories to the one freshly installed directory. Pegasus must have been using both drives to operate before the update. I suspect emails in the New Emails folder (CNM) were on C: drive and D: drive and the filed emails (PMI & PMM) were on the D: drive. The definitions files (PND) were scattered across both drives. The registry was pointing to the C: drive but is now pointing to the fresh D: drive install and PMAIL.INI is now also pointing to the fresh install. They are now all in the one place and I just have a bit more housekeeping to do. Not the smoothest of updates, this time.

It sounds like you were affected by the host files detection issue in v4.81 when the Home and New Mailboxes are different. I'm glad you have it sorted out.

It sounds like you were affected by the host files detection issue in v4.81 when the Home and New Mailboxes are different. I'm glad you have it sorted out.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft