Community Discussions and Support
Folder Manager window won't open

Trying to change characteristics of a mail folder but can't get folder manager window to open. Neither File>Mail Folders nor the Folders icon seem to open the manager. Any suggestions?

Bob

Trying to change characteristics of a mail folder but can't get folder manager window to open. Neither File>Mail Folders nor the Folders icon seem to open the manager. Any suggestions? Bob

When you think the Folders window should be open, go to the Window pull-down menu and see if there is a "Folders" entry. If there is, the Folders window is open but invisible, either off-screen or minimized/shrunk. You can try closing all other windows and visually looking for it, then if needed, try doing Window > Tile or Window > Cascade to see if it brings it back into the Main window.

When you think the Folders window should be open, go to the Window pull-down menu and see if there is a "Folders" entry. If there is, the Folders window is open but invisible, either off-screen or minimized/shrunk. You can try closing all other windows and visually looking for it, then if needed, try doing Window > Tile or Window > Cascade to see if it brings it back into the Main window.

I tried that but no other window is available except the Folders "Preview" of the current folder I'm viewing. Should a separate window appear after I go to File>Mail Folders? If so, it's not showing up. When I look at Windows pull-down I see the entry for the current folder I'm viewing. Should there be more? I hope I'm asking the right question. What I'm trying to do is change (or eliminate) a group folder to make it into a conventional folder. Is the Folder Manager the way to do that?

Bob

I tried that but no other window is available except the Folders "Preview" of the current folder I'm viewing. Should a separate window appear after I go to File>Mail Folders? If so, it's not showing up. When I look at Windows pull-down I see the entry for the current folder I'm viewing. Should there be more? I hope I'm asking the right question. What I'm trying to do is change (or eliminate) a group folder to make it into a conventional folder. Is the Folder Manager the way to do that? Bob

Should a separate window appear after I go to File>Mail Folders?

Only if you are running in List mode and the Folder window is closed. The option does not do anything if you are running in Preview mode and have the pane window open (it will open it if it isn't open)

It sounds like you are running in Preview mode and that you might be trying to change a Tray into a conventional folder. Look at its icon in the folder list. If it looks like a yellow open folder then it is a Tray. A Tray is a specialized folder that can contain other folders and Trays but not messages. It is virtual. It does not physically exists. It can not be opened in its own window. It does not have any properties. Its structure is stored in the HIERARCH.PM file. If you ever lost HIERARCH.PM you would loose all Tray structure.

If it is indeed a Tray, and you don't need it any more, you can move the folders that are in it and then delete it. Any child Trays will need to be dealt with in the same manner. Remember, a Tray can not contain message.

[quote="pid:55932, uid:26261"]Should a separate window appear after I go to File>Mail Folders?[/quote] Only if you are running in List mode and the Folder window is closed. The option does not do anything if you are running in Preview mode and have the pane window open (it will open it if it isn't open) It sounds like you are running in Preview mode and that you might be trying to change a Tray into a conventional folder. Look at its icon in the folder list. If it looks like a yellow open folder then it is a Tray. A Tray is a specialized folder that can contain other folders and Trays but not messages. It is virtual. It does not physically exists. It can not be opened in its own window. It does not have any properties. Its structure is stored in the HIERARCH.PM file. If you ever lost HIERARCH.PM you would loose all Tray structure. If it is indeed a Tray, and you don't need it any more, you can move the folders that are in it and then delete it. Any child Trays will need to be dealt with in the same manner. Remember, a Tray can not contain message.

I am running in Preview Mode but the Folder (not a Tray) I'm working with is a "Group View". It has a little person icon in front of the envelope in the folders list. I can change the group sorting by Messages>Grouped Views>Group by xxx. The curious thing is that the icon appears only on that folder but when I experimented with another folder and assigned a Group by Date format, no icon appeared on that folder in the list. This in itself is not a game changing issue, just annoying that I can't get rid of the icon and/or Group characteristics of the folder.

I'm reading about Grouped and Auto-filtered folders in the Help documentation which is what brought me here in the first place. I think my new mail filtering and auto filtering are colliding because I have rules in the new mail filter that mimic the auto filter rules for that folder. Neither set of rules seem to work.

Bob

I am running in Preview Mode but the Folder (not a Tray) I'm working with is a "Group View". It has a little person icon in front of the envelope in the folders list. I can change the group sorting by Messages>Grouped Views>Group by xxx. The curious thing is that the icon appears only on that folder but when I experimented with another folder and assigned a Group by Date format, no icon appeared on that folder in the list. This in itself is not a game changing issue, just annoying that I can't get rid of the icon and/or Group characteristics of the folder. I'm reading about Grouped and Auto-filtered folders in the Help documentation which is what brought me here in the first place. I think my new mail filtering and auto filtering are colliding because I have rules in the new mail filter that mimic the auto filter rules for that folder. Neither set of rules seem to work. Bob

I use grouped views but have never seen the little person icon.

If I were in your shoes I would think about creating a new folder, moving all messages to it, and then deleting the problem folder. Of course this means you would need to point your filters to the new folder although it sounds like you need to be looking at those anyways. They may not be working because of whatever problem exists with that folder.

I use grouped views but have never seen the little person icon. If I were in your shoes I would think about creating a new folder, moving all messages to it, and then deleting the problem folder. Of course this means you would need to point your filters to the new folder although it sounds like you need to be looking at those anyways. They may not be working because of whatever problem exists with that folder.

I took your advice and created the new folder and moved mail to it. When I turned on the Autofilter feature for the new folder, the "little person" icon appeared on it. I turned that feature on for another existing folder and the icon appeared there also. That riddle is solved. I'm continuing to work with the filtering rules but have learned more about them from the help pages and from your assistance. Thanks for the advice.

Bob

I took your advice and created the new folder and moved mail to it. When I turned on the Autofilter feature for the new folder, the "little person" icon appeared on it. I turned that feature on for another existing folder and the icon appeared there also. That riddle is solved. I'm continuing to work with the filtering rules but have learned more about them from the help pages and from your assistance. Thanks for the advice. Bob

When I turned on the Autofilter feature for the new folder, the "little person" icon appeared on it. I turned that feature on for another existing folder and the icon appeared there also. That riddle is solved.

Wow, that icon is new. There are plenty of posts about how to determine which folders have autofiltering enabled. I did not know there was now a visual clue. I wonder what version it appeared in.

Regarding filtering, I understand the purpose of autofilters but I don't like them. They're hidden compared to the explicitness of filter rules. Don't hesitate to ask for advice about any specific filtering need.

[quote="pid:55943, uid:26261"]When I turned on the Autofilter feature for the new folder, the "little person" icon appeared on it. I turned that feature on for another existing folder and the icon appeared there also. That riddle is solved.[/quote] Wow, that icon is new. There are plenty of posts about how to determine which folders have autofiltering enabled. I did not know there was now a visual clue. I wonder what version it appeared in. Regarding filtering, I understand the purpose of autofilters but I don't like them. They're hidden compared to the explicitness of filter rules. Don't hesitate to ask for advice about any specific filtering need.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft