Community Discussions and Support
Searching 2 folders, combining results into 1 folder

Hello all, maybe there is a simple solution or workaround, but I cant find it. Problem is:

I have correspondence with company XXXXX.com - so I have mails from them in my RECEIVED folder und I have mails to them in my SENT folder.

Searching each folder generates sth like 500 Emails, which is correct - but I would like to have the result in ONE folder, i.e. can easily see who responded from them or what I responded on the time line.

I think it will be sth like filtering, but I dont want to MOVE the result, but just see them in ONE folder seperately as search result.

How can that be done - thanks in advance

rgds hans

Hello all, maybe there is a simple solution or workaround, but I cant find it. Problem is: I have correspondence with company XXXXX.com - so I have mails from them in my RECEIVED folder und I have mails to them in my SENT folder. Searching each folder generates sth like 500 Emails, which is correct - but I would like to have the result in ONE folder, i.e. can easily see who responded from them or what I responded on the time line. I think it will be sth like filtering, but I dont want to MOVE the result, but just see them in ONE folder seperately as search result. How can that be done - thanks in advance rgds hans

You can just copy or move search results from one search folder to another search folder, at least using drag & drop in preview mode - then sort them by thread, e.g. - if I understand your contradicting "have them in one folder but don't move" intention correctly ...?

You can just copy or move search results from one search folder to another search folder, at least using drag & drop in preview mode - then sort them by thread, e.g. - if I understand your contradicting "have them in one folder but don't move" intention correctly ...?
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C

I think it will be sth like filtering, but I dont want to MOVE the result, but just see them in ONE folder seperately as search result.

If this will be an ongoing need I picture using filters to copy them into a separate folder. You would have to determine whether having copies in that folder would cause any issues.

[quote="pid:55944, uid:39350"]I think it will be sth like filtering, but I dont want to MOVE the result, but just see them in ONE folder seperately as search result.[/quote] If this will be an ongoing need I picture using filters to copy them into a separate folder. You would have to determine whether having copies in that folder would cause any issues.

I believe what you want can be done with the search options.

Did a test
In my copy to self folder did Ctrl-F
For my test put @docomopacific in search field (my ISPs current email domain)
Then set folders to search to select one or more specific folders.
Then clicked on select button.
Then use ctrl-click to mark the folders you want to search.
I did copy to self and the kuentos folder (name of ISP back in late 80's)
Then click select button (top left)
Click search top right
and result was 406 messages from both folders..

That is if I understand what you want.
Doesn't change any messages in either folder, just puts links in search folder.
Can select more than 2 folders, and use any other search options.

I believe what you want can be done with the search options. Did a test In my copy to self folder did Ctrl-F For my test put @docomopacific in search field (my ISPs current email domain) Then set folders to search to select one or more specific folders. Then clicked on select button. Then use ctrl-click to mark the folders you want to search. I did copy to self and the kuentos folder (name of ISP back in late 80's) Then click select button (top left) Click search top right and result was 406 messages from both folders.. That is if I understand what you want. Doesn't change any messages in either folder, just puts links in search folder. Can select more than 2 folders, and use any other search options.

mikes@guam.net

Many thanks to all respondents ;-) - while typing the original request I remembered that I used GENERAL FILTER some 10 years ago already and tried it already succesfully - sort of ;-)

I created a new EMPTY FOLDER,

ran the RULE (*XXXXX.com) on RECEIVED and that COPIED some 300 messages

ran the RULE (*XXXXX.com) on SENT and that COPIED some 800 messages

in the new EMPTY FOLDER after i opened and closed those Folders.

That was PERFECT what I wanted - however this morning after open and closing RECEIVED again, it started to COPY again ..... (of course) - so to prevent this, I had to delete the rule, which is fully ok, as my job is done.

Thanks again for other thoughts,
rgds hans

Many thanks to all respondents ;-) - while typing the original request I remembered that I used GENERAL FILTER some 10 years ago already and tried it already succesfully - sort of ;-) I created a new EMPTY FOLDER, ran the RULE (*XXXXX.com) on RECEIVED and that COPIED some 300 messages ran the RULE (*XXXXX.com) on SENT and that COPIED some 800 messages in the new EMPTY FOLDER after i opened and closed those Folders. That was PERFECT what I wanted - however this morning after open and closing RECEIVED again, it started to COPY again ..... (of course) - so to prevent this, I had to delete the rule, which is fully ok, as my job is done. Thanks again for other thoughts, rgds hans

Did you try the search with one or more folders selected??
Seems it would pull messages from multiple lists in one pass, and since they are links to the messages in folders would be much smaller.

Had never tried option before, but it looks like it allows one to do the process in one step.
Though selecting the folders is an extra sub step.

Did you try the search with one or more folders selected?? Seems it would pull messages from multiple lists in one pass, and since they are links to the messages in folders would be much smaller. Had never tried option before, but it looks like it allows one to do the process in one step. Though selecting the folders is an extra sub step.

mikes@guam.net

yes, msetzerii, you are right - that is possible. However needs a little digging in a submenu, but easier than creating a FILTER as I did.

Little suprise my FILTER result found 1110 messages - the combined "seach" found 1243 - not sure what made the difference, but for me its solved both ways good enough

thanks, rgds hans

yes, msetzerii, you are right - that is possible. However needs a little digging in a submenu, but easier than creating a FILTER as I did. Little suprise my FILTER result found 1110 messages - the combined "seach" found 1243 - not sure what made the difference, but for me its solved both ways good enough thanks, rgds hans

I learned something new today! My brain had never registered the existence of the option for selecting one or more folders to search.

I learned something new today! My brain had never registered the existence of the option for selecting one or more folders to search.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft