Community Discussions and Support
Encoded subject: field shown in 3 different ways
Bug

This is, I think, a not-too-serious bug report for Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154, Jan 10 2023, build ID 1154. I have received an unexciting email message containing the nasty-looking header

Subject: =?utf-8?B?8J+QpyBJdCdzIHR1cm5pbmcgY29sZGVyIC0gQmUgcHJlcGFyZWQg?=
=?utf-8?B?Zm9yIHRoZSDinYTvuI8gY29sZGVyIG1vbnRocyBhaGVhZCDinYTvuI8=?=

In the folder view top-right list of messages, the Subject column shows as completely blank. (I think it should show some text!)

In the folder view's bottom-right message preview pane, the subject appears, presumably correctly, as

It's turning colder - Be prepared  for the ❄️ colder months ahead ❄️

Then when I open the message, its window title bar shows

<Sender>, ????????????????????????

That's almost as bad as completely blank, but at least I can tell there ought to be something there. The header section of the message itself shows the subject properly -- that's what I copied and pasted from to get the text earlier in this post.

The sender (trying to sell central heating radiators) has not made this subject text easy to display, but I firmly suggest Pegasus Mail ought to be able to do an equally good job in the window title bar and the message list as it does for the message window headers area.

This last bit isn't part of the bug report, but I'd guess it was an issue with character encoding.

This is, I think, a not-too-serious bug report for Pegasus Mail 4.81.1154, Jan 10 2023, build ID 1154. I have received an unexciting email message containing the nasty-looking header ```` Subject: =?utf-8?B?8J+QpyBJdCdzIHR1cm5pbmcgY29sZGVyIC0gQmUgcHJlcGFyZWQg?= =?utf-8?B?Zm9yIHRoZSDinYTvuI8gY29sZGVyIG1vbnRocyBhaGVhZCDinYTvuI8=?= ```` In the folder view top-right list of messages, the Subject column shows as completely blank. (I think it should show some text!) In the folder view&#039;s bottom-right message preview pane, the subject appears, presumably correctly, as ```` It&#039;s turning colder - Be prepared for the ❄️ colder months ahead ❄️ ```` Then when I open the message, its window title bar shows ```` &lt;Sender&gt;, ???????????????????????? ```` That&#039;s almost as bad as completely blank, but at least I can tell there ought to be something there. The header section of the message itself shows the subject properly -- that&#039;s what I copied and pasted from to get the text earlier in this post. The sender (trying to sell central heating radiators) has not made this subject text easy to display, but I firmly suggest Pegasus Mail ought to be able to do an equally good job in the window title bar and the message list as it does for the message window headers area. This last bit isn&#039;t part of the bug report, but I&#039;d guess it was an issue with character encoding.
edited Oct 17 '23 at 9:53 pm

It's a known issue currently not solvable due to the lack of a mail folder system being capable of storing enough information for dealing with more elaborated encoding issues. It's going to be solved latest when Pegasus Mail v5 will be released, with some luck and enough time for David Harris he might eventually consider to release the new foldering database system in another v4 version prior to that.

It&#039;s a known issue currently not solvable due to the lack of a mail folder system being capable of storing enough information for dealing with more elaborated encoding issues. It&#039;s going to be solved latest when Pegasus Mail v5 will be released, with some luck and enough time for David Harris he might eventually consider to release the new foldering database system in another v4 version prior to that.
			Michael
--
IERenderer's Homepage
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
S/MIME Fingerprint: 94C6B471 0C623088 A5B27701 742B8666 3B7E657C
edited Oct 18 '23 at 12:51 am

$ cat testdecode
echo 8J+QpyBJdCdzIHR1cm5pbmcgY29sZGVyIC0gQmUgcHJlcGFyZWQg | base64 -d
echo
echo Zm9yIHRoZSDinYTvuI8gY29sZGVyIG1vbnRocyBhaGVhZCDinYTvuI8= | base64 -d
echo

$ cat testdecode echo 8J+QpyBJdCdzIHR1cm5pbmcgY29sZGVyIC0gQmUgcHJlcGFyZWQg | base64 -d echo echo Zm9yIHRoZSDinYTvuI8gY29sZGVyIG1vbnRocyBhaGVhZCDinYTvuI8= | base64 -d echo

mikes@guam.net

652f71d8d6ff0
Got strange php error message when tried to past the output.

![652f71d8d6ff0](serve/attachment&amp;path=652f71d8d6ff0) Got strange php error message when tried to past the output.

mikes@guam.net

Thank you, Michael and Mike. I await the new folder system in hope! There is what looks like another oddity, possibly a mistake - the Pegasus Mail more-or-less-correct view of this nasty message subject has a double space between prepared and for, where I'd expect to see a single space.

Thank you, Michael and Mike. I await the new folder system in hope! There is what looks like another oddity, possibly a mistake - the Pegasus Mail more-or-less-correct view of this nasty message subject has a double space between **prepared** and **for**, where I&#039;d expect to see a single space.
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft