Community Discussions and Support
How to update an existing 4.41 installation to 4.80?

Hello,

I have PMAIL 4.41 installed with tons of existing emails and custom folders and settings in it, and now need to update to PMAIL 4.80, because my mail provider requires newer mail protocols.

I am wondering how to do that.

Here is a snippet of the info about my current 4.41 installation, copied out of "About Pegasus" > "Info":

WINPMAIL.EXE directory: T:\PMAIL\Programs
Home mailbox location: T:\PMAIL\MAIL
New mailbox location: T:\PMAIL\MAIL
TMP environment variable: C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp

Do I just need to install 4.80 and during the installation process 4.80 automatically detects the existing installation and its folders, and keeps it?

Or do I need to manually change paths in some PMAIL 4.80 file?

Or should I just install 4.80 into a new folder, and delete the files in the then created "PMAIL"-folder, and after that paste all files of the existing "PMAIL"-folder of my current 4.41 version into that new "PMAIL"-folder of 4.80?

Any help is much appreciated.

Hello, I have PMAIL 4.41 installed with tons of existing emails and custom folders and settings in it, and now need to update to PMAIL 4.80, because my mail provider requires newer mail protocols. I am wondering how to do that. Here is a snippet of the info about my current 4.41 installation, copied out of "About Pegasus" > "Info": WINPMAIL.EXE directory: T:\PMAIL\Programs Home mailbox location: T:\PMAIL\MAIL New mailbox location: T:\PMAIL\MAIL TMP environment variable: C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp TEMP environment variable: C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp Do I just need to install 4.80 and during the installation process 4.80 automatically detects the existing installation and its folders, and keeps it? Or do I need to manually change paths in some PMAIL 4.80 file? Or should I just install 4.80 into a new folder, and delete the files in the then created "PMAIL"-folder, and after that paste all files of the existing "PMAIL"-folder of my current 4.41 version into that new "PMAIL"-folder of 4.80? Any help is much appreciated.
edited Oct 19 '23 at 7:59 pm

Yes, you need to upgrade. v4.41 does not have TLS 1.2.

Consider upgrading to the v4.81 beta. It has been rock solid and it fixed some problems that were in v4.80, the biggest being with the spell checker deleting the content of the saved words file.

The installer should detect the last run instance of Pegasus Mail and offer to upgrade it. That is the easiest route to take, but first, make a safety copy of the entire T:\PMAIL directory. Upgrading from 4.41 to 4.8x is a big jump. I don't anticipate any issues but a safety copy is prudent none the less.

I you want to avoid the beta you can upgrade to 4.80 in the same manner. Post back for advice on how to preserve your saved words before using the spell checker.

Yes, you need to upgrade. v4.41 does not have TLS 1.2. Consider upgrading to the v4.81 beta. It has been rock solid and it fixed some problems that were in v4.80, the biggest being with the spell checker deleting the content of the saved words file. The installer should detect the last run instance of Pegasus Mail and offer to upgrade it. That is the easiest route to take, but first, make a safety copy of the entire T:\PMAIL directory. Upgrading from 4.41 to 4.8x is a big jump. I don't anticipate any issues but a safety copy is prudent none the less. I you want to avoid the beta you can upgrade to 4.80 in the same manner. Post back for advice on how to preserve your saved words before using the spell checker.

Thank you so much for your helpful answer, Brian.

I will upgrade to 4.81 as you suggested.

Can I choose a random folder to install 4.81 into, or do I have to install it into the same folder where my current 4.41 is installed and running from?

And will the automatic detection of 4.41 during installing 4.81 also carry over my current settings of my 4.41 installation, like email settings, profiles, and such?

Thank you so much for your helpful answer, Brian. I will upgrade to 4.81 as you suggested. Can I choose a random folder to install 4.81 into, or do I have to install it into the same folder where my current 4.41 is installed and running from? And will the automatic detection of 4.41 during installing 4.81 also carry over my current settings of my 4.41 installation, like email settings, profiles, and such?
edited Oct 19 '23 at 9:41 pm

You must do an upgrade to maintain all of your settings, identities, mail, addressbooks, etc.

Installing 4.81 to a different location is possible but potentially challenging. I think you would benefit from doing this but doing so becomes increasingly difficult as user and Identity counts increase. This is because the benefit of a clean installation is configuration from scratch which then insures the cobwebs from versions past are removed. Only data gets copied from the old installation (mail, address books, distribution lists).

You must do an upgrade to maintain all of your settings, identities, mail, addressbooks, etc. Installing 4.81 to a different location is possible but potentially challenging. I think you would benefit from doing this but doing so becomes increasingly difficult as user and Identity counts increase. This is because the benefit of a clean installation is configuration from scratch which then insures the cobwebs from versions past are removed. Only data gets copied from the old installation (mail, address books, distribution lists).
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft